Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default bread pudding

In article >,
"A R Pickett" > wrote:

> "Susan" wrote
>

> > A R Pickett wrote:
> >> I haven't posted for awhile, my life is unsettled. Both my husband and I
> >> are T2. I am more inclined to attempt to rein in my sweet tooth, he
> >> still likes his unfettered and demanding. So I'm always on the lookout
> >> for ideas for dessert.
> >>
> >> I've tried Splenda's cheesecake recipie with good results, and today came
> >> up with this:
> >>
> >> 2 cups dried bread crumbs - I had a mixture of whole grain and white
> >> crumbs in the freezer which I made from the dry ends of loaves of bread
> >> and just kept for "whenever"
> >> 1/4 c melted butter
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
> >> 1/2 cup Splenda
> >> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> >> 1/4 tsp nutmeg
> >> 1/4 tsp salt
> >> 1 cup of add-ins consisting of some diced cranberries, some dried
> >> blueberries, some dried cherries, and some diced walnuts. The berries
> >> were just the amounts left over from other various projects
> >>
> >> I put the bread crumbs in a small greased pyrex dish, added the butter
> >> and stirred it up.
> >>
> >> I beat the eggs, added the almond milk, the Splenda and the spices and
> >> beat them well together, then stirred in the fruit and nuts and poured
> >> the mixture over the bread crumbs.
> >>
> >> Baked it for 1 hr 10 min at 325 degrees.
> >>
> >> It's pretty good, and the sweet tooth guy liked it! I figure a half cup
> >> serving is one carb, more or less.
> >>
> >> Happy New Year, everyone!
> >>

> > Is a serving 1/4 tsp?
> >

> > Susan

> I'm not sure I understand your comment, but, assuming you are challenging my
> computation of the carb value - how would you compute it? I figured that
> 1/2 cup of the pudding would have carb value from the bread crumbs and the
> fruits, and that counting it as one carb value (15g) would be a good guide.

The major carb contribution is the bread crumbs which are probably
comparable in carb content to wheat flour, which has 24 grams of carbs
per 1/4 cup. So, 8 times that would be 200 grams of carbs. I don't know
about the almond milk off hand, but the fruit would be an additional 20
grams of carb. Assuming you get 10 servings out of this entire recipe,
this would probably be 25 grams of carb/serving. The key is that the
bread = flour.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."