FoodBanter.com

-   -   Honey (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/173620-honey.html)

Julie Bove 17-06-2009 11:27 PM

Honey

I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up the
nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

Ozgirl 17-06-2009 11:49 PM

Honey

Julie Bove wrote:
> I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
> the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.
>
> http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

Not from their stomachs though.

Julie Bove 18-06-2009 02:06 AM

Honey

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
>> the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.
>>
>> http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

> Not from their stomachs though.

I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my stomach.

Peppermint Patootie 18-06-2009 06:16 PM

Honey

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
> >> the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.
> >>
> >> http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

> > Not from their stomachs though.

> I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
> my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my stomach.

You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you think, and
there's no budging it.

PP

Cheri[_3_] 18-06-2009 09:04 PM

Honey

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message

> What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
> fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
> kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
> Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
> cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
> cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.

That's not exactly what pops into my mind, but some things just are what
they are. :-)

Cheri

Peppermint Patootie 18-06-2009 10:16 PM

Honey

In article >,
BlueBrooke > wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:16:05 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >> I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
> >> my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my
> >> stomach.

> >You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you think, and
> >there's no budging it.
> >
> >PP

> What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
> fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
> kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
> Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
> cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
> cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.
>
> If that's "bee barf" all I can say is, as prolific as my dogs are, I
> wish they could produce something that useful. ;-)

Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though. It isn't to
be given to very young babies because it can contain spores that can
produce a terrible strain of botulism, I think. Babies don't have
sufficient immune defense against it yet, but adults and older kids do.
I imagine it provides a decent seal to keep bad bugs out, and it may
contain helpful bacteria.

Health is not supported by cleanlines, per se. We are all colonies of
organisms working together for our own survival and, synergistically,
for the survival of the corporate organism we create together. Without
the bugs in our gut, we'd starve and be horribly sick. Other organisms
serve similar purposes. My understanding is that the mitochondria in
our cells once existed on their own and invaded a proto-human cell, then
stayed and started working together with its host.

If one applies 21st century U.S. standards of "cleanliness" to life, one
can miss out on a lot, including aspects of health.

Priscilla

Tiger Lily 19-06-2009 05:02 AM

Honey

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:16:16 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> BlueBrooke > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:16:05 -0400, Peppermint Patootie

>>> What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
>>> fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
>>> kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
>>> Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
>>> cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
>>> cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.
>>>
>>> If that's "bee barf" all I can say is, as prolific as my dogs are, I
>>> wish they could produce something that useful. ;-)

>> Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
>> wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though.

> Once again, I've used the wrong word and my point was lost. "Clean"
> wasn't the best word, but I couldn't think of anything better, and
> still can't.

it kills bacteria

spread honey on the wound, and the wound will heal quicker

what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)

kate

Ozgirl 19-06-2009 05:25 AM

Honey

Tiger Lily wrote:
> BlueBrooke wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:16:16 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
>> > wrote:

>>> Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
>>> wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though.

>> Once again, I've used the wrong word and my point was lost. "Clean"
>> wasn't the best word, but I couldn't think of anything better, and
>> still can't.

> it kills bacteria
>
> spread honey on the wound, and the wound will heal quicker
>
> what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
> (warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)
>
> kate

Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.

Nick Cramer 19-06-2009 10:28 AM

Honey

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
> > (warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)

> Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.

I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not to
feed it to children under one.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Peppermint Patootie 19-06-2009 11:13 PM

Honey

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> > Tiger Lily wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
> > > (warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)

> > Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.

> I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not to
> feed it to children under one.

Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

Priscilla

Nick Cramer 19-06-2009 11:23 PM

Honey

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > > Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.

> > I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not
> > to feed it to children under one.

> Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

I found the guy online by Googling. I have it shipped, even though he's
only 50 miles away. Going through a jug of Wildflower honey right now.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Ozgirl 20-06-2009 01:16 AM

Honey

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>>> Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.

>> I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows
>> not to feed it to children under one.

> Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

It may become easier as people start to cotton on to the idea of using honey
for wound healing.

Nick Cramer 20-06-2009 05:00 AM

Honey

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

> It may become easier as people start to cotton on to the idea of using
> honey for wound healing.

Hmmm. A 30 gm tube for $8.oo at the pharmacy?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Nicky 21-06-2009 08:48 AM

Honey

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Ricavito
> wrote:

>I'm doing well overall, but not feeling up to par last two days.....
>got a toothache (or an earache maybe, I dunno) and a slight fever and
>my BG is high for no reason, with that horrible thirst thing.

Get well soon! And thanks for the hot-dog & dog training image :)

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

W. Baker 21-06-2009 02:04 PM

Honey

Ricavito > wrote:
: > Jeeze, I had forgotten about that. ?Karo syrup on Wonder bread (builds
: > strong bones!) was the after school snack all the kids ate where I
: > grew up ?::shudder:: ? That and raw hot dogs. ?omigod
: >
: > Cheri-

: I used to tear the crust off of Wonder bread and squeeze it into a
: ball to eat--how gross is that? But now I only eat double fiber
: bread doled out in stingy quantities, lol. Except today I made a big

Brings back memories of making balls of the soft bread(sans crust) and,
either eating them or throwing them at my big brother at the dinner table.
He is one nw and I miss him.

Thanks for the memory.

Wendy

Peppermint Patootie 22-06-2009 05:05 AM

Honey

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:

> >> I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows
> >> not to feed it to children under one.

> > Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

> It may become easier as people start to cotton on to the idea of using honey
> for wound healing.

I'm not sure why they'd start to now. Honey for wounds has been around
as long as there have been bees.

PP

Robert Miles 22-06-2009 08:02 AM

Honey

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ricavito > wrote:
> : > Jeeze, I had forgotten about that. ?Karo syrup on Wonder bread (builds
> : > strong bones!) was the after school snack all the kids ate where I
> : > grew up ?::shudder:: ? That and raw hot dogs. ?omigod
> : >
> : > Cheri-
>
> : I used to tear the crust off of Wonder bread and squeeze it into a
> : ball to eat--how gross is that? But now I only eat double fiber
> : bread doled out in stingy quantities, lol. Except today I made a big
>
> Brings back memories of making balls of the soft bread(sans crust) and,
> either eating them or throwing them at my big brother at the dinner table.
> He is one nw and I miss him.
>
> Thanks for the memory.
>
> Wendy

..
Sounds much like the time I took a slice of white sandwich bread, tore
off the crusts, put about a teaspoon of black pepper on what was left,
folded it, pressed the air out, and ate the result without tasting the
pepper very much.

Robert Miles

Cheri[_3_] 22-06-2009 05:29 PM

Honey

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I'm sure you mean cold not raw :) Franks are cooked. Some people believe
> they should be heated to very hot becasue they are a manufactured food but
> if you heat them to the temp needed to kill any bacteria you split the
> skins so probably most people have been eating franks without a problem
> all their lives.

I'm one of them, but they do say fully cooked.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 22-06-2009 05:31 PM

Honey

"Ricavito" > wrote in message

I'm doing well overall, but not feeling up to par last two days.....
got a toothache (or an earache maybe, I dunno) and a slight fever and
my BG is high for no reason, with that horrible thirst thing.

Hope you are well Cheri!

=========

I am well Rica, I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this.
Earache, toothache, either one...not good. :-)

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 22-06-2009 05:33 PM

Honey

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Ricavito
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm doing well overall, but not feeling up to par last two days.....
>>got a toothache (or an earache maybe, I dunno) and a slight fever and
>>my BG is high for no reason, with that horrible thirst thing.

> Get well soon! And thanks for the hot-dog & dog training image :)

Since my dog has been sick, she's fussy. She's always had a low carb diet,
but she still loves those hot dogs. I cut them up in little pieces for her
because she has a hard time swallowing, but I can well believe that all dogs
love them.

Cheri

Nick Cramer 23-06-2009 03:16 AM

Honey

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> I'm doing well overall, but not feeling up to par last two days.....
> got a toothache (or an earache maybe, I dunno) and a slight fever and
> my BG is high for no reason, with that horrible thirst thing.
>
> Hope you are well Cheri!
>
> =========
>
> I am well Rica, I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this.
> Earache, toothache, either one...not good. :-)

Earache orten comes from toothache, as do fever and elevated BG. IIRC

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061