vias

Default Honey

I'm not a vegan but shop at a vegan shop in Manchester, UK [ Unicorn
Grocery].

Recently I needed to buy some honey but was told they didn't sell it because
it was an animal product. Is this right? Sure, the bees collect nectar and
process it to honey but is honey therefore not allowed in a vegan diet?

Philip

Rubystars

"vias" > wrote in message
> I'm not a vegan but shop at a vegan shop in Manchester, UK [ Unicorn
> Grocery].
>
> Recently I needed to buy some honey but was told they didn't sell it

because
> it was an animal product. Is this right? Sure, the bees collect nectar and
> process it to honey but is honey therefore not allowed in a vegan diet?
>
> Philip

Bees are animals, and honey contains some chemicals from the bees in it as
well as the flower nectar. Honey isn't vegetarian, much less vegan.

-Rubystars

Pete Wolcott

Take a look at: http://www.airborne.co.nz/Enzymes.html Most of the
beneficial enzymes are destroyed by commercial honey processing. Raw honey
is considered healthful by many, but is obviously an animal processed
product. I take care of the bees and they share.
Pete

"vias" > wrote in message
> I'm not a vegan but shop at a vegan shop in Manchester, UK [ Unicorn
> Grocery].
>
> Recently I needed to buy some honey but was told they didn't sell it

because
> it was an animal product. Is this right? Sure, the bees collect nectar and
> process it to honey but is honey therefore not allowed in a vegan diet?
>
> Philip

vias

Thanks

Yes, I normally use individual apiculteur honey from France but ran out.

"Pete Wolcott" > wrote in message
> Take a look at: http://www.airborne.co.nz/Enzymes.html Most of the
> beneficial enzymes are destroyed by commercial honey processing. Raw

honey
> is considered healthful by many, but is obviously an animal processed
> product. I take care of the bees and they share.
> Pete
>

> "vias" > wrote in message
> > I'm not a vegan but shop at a vegan shop in Manchester, UK [ Unicorn
> > Grocery].
> >
> > Recently I needed to buy some honey but was told they didn't sell it

> because
> > it was an animal product. Is this right? Sure, the bees collect nectar

and
> > process it to honey but is honey therefore not allowed in a vegan diet?
> >
> > Philip

Halcitron

>From: "Pete Wolcott"
>Newsgroups: alt.food.vegan

>Take a look at:
http://www.airborne.co.nz/Enzymes.html Most of the
>beneficial enzymes are destroyed by commercial honey processing. Raw honey
>is considered healthful by many, but is obviously an animal processed
>product. I take care of the bees and they share.
>Pete

And what of milk and eggs? You don't kill the cow/goat or chicken to get these,
however the pig must die to give up the bacon.

:/

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.

Pete Wolcott

Eggs and milk are manufactured not processed a bit of a different issue. I
am not
trying to be a purist. If you don't want to eat honey don't eat it.
One interesting thing I saw in vegan cook book was a call out for Vegan
Honey. As far as I know it is Illegal to sell anything labeled as honey
that isn't Honey! (US)
Pete

Honey Julie Bove Diabetic 24 23-06-2009 03:16 AM
Honey cybercat General Cooking 33 26-06-2008 04:15 PM
How do you like your honey?- Honey Bars recipe Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 30-01-2008 03:42 PM
Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?... Bigbazza[_7_] General Cooking 2 02-01-2008 01:22 PM
Jan: Church's Honey Biscuits with Honey Butter Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-05-2004 01:24 PM