Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default finally convinced my hubby

I finally convinced my husband that we both need to eat a little lower carb.

This guy is a carb hound who absolutely must have his sweets and heavily
carb-laden foods. It will be a good thing for both of us. He is also now
a diabetic, but for some reason he was of the mind that you aren't being
"naughty" until your A1C goes over 7!!!!! Every time I told him that was
wrong, he denied that it was so.

He always has a stash of candy around, and he doesn't test often at all.
He takes his januvamet and thinks that is all he needs to do besides go for
a blood test a few times a year.

Fortunately neither one of us is in bad shape, but I have definitely had
some issues. Only when he heard from another diabetic on Sunday that under
6 is what is to be aimed for, did he realize that I was right. As for
testing after meals and seeing what various foods do to his BG's that will
have to be another battle.

So every day I am trying to make just meat and vegetables and salad, with
perhaps a piece of fruit later on.

This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any sort of
illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself. I am
doing my best to convince him to go for tests when the doc orders and he
just procrastinates about it and somehow he just doesn't go. Nagging makes
it worse.

But eating just meat and veggies and salad for dinner seems to satisfy him
and wasted no time in pointing out to him that he isn't into the chips and
cookies and who knows what all else after dinner when he keeps his carb
intake down.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> I finally convinced my husband that we both need to eat a little lower
> carb.
>
> This guy is a carb hound who absolutely must have his sweets and heavily
> carb-laden foods. It will be a good thing for both of us. He is also
> now a diabetic, but for some reason he was of the mind that you aren't
> being "naughty" until your A1C goes over 7!!!!! Every time I told him
> that was wrong, he denied that it was so.
>
> He always has a stash of candy around, and he doesn't test often at all.
> He takes his januvamet and thinks that is all he needs to do besides go
> for a blood test a few times a year.
>
> Fortunately neither one of us is in bad shape, but I have definitely had
> some issues. Only when he heard from another diabetic on Sunday that
> under 6 is what is to be aimed for, did he realize that I was right.
> As for testing after meals and seeing what various foods do to his BG's
> that will have to be another battle.
>
> So every day I am trying to make just meat and vegetables and salad,
> with perhaps a piece of fruit later on.
>
> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any
> sort of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of
> himself. I am doing my best to convince him to go for tests when the
> doc orders and he just procrastinates about it and somehow he just
> doesn't go. Nagging makes it worse.
>
> But eating just meat and veggies and salad for dinner seems to satisfy
> him and wasted no time in pointing out to him that he isn't into the
> chips and cookies and who knows what all else after dinner when he keeps
> his carb intake down.

Hell Ev - he voted for Obama.
How many life changing measures do you expect the guy to make without
some resistance ?
Tell him how truly NASTY neuropathies are, and how they can be
avoided if he............................behaves.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> I think we're built better. ;-)

We *are* built a lot tidier, for certain.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"High Miles" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> I finally convinced my husband that we both need to eat a little lower
>> carb.
>>
>> This guy is a carb hound who absolutely must have his sweets and heavily
>> carb-laden foods. It will be a good thing for both of us. He is also
>> now a diabetic, but for some reason he was of the mind that you aren't
>> being "naughty" until your A1C goes over 7!!!!! Every time I told him
>> that was wrong, he denied that it was so.
>>
>> He always has a stash of candy around, and he doesn't test often at all.
>> He takes his januvamet and thinks that is all he needs to do besides go
>> for a blood test a few times a year.
>>
>> Fortunately neither one of us is in bad shape, but I have definitely had
>> some issues. Only when he heard from another diabetic on Sunday that
>> under 6 is what is to be aimed for, did he realize that I was right.
>> As for testing after meals and seeing what various foods do to his BG's
>> that will have to be another battle.
>>
>> So every day I am trying to make just meat and vegetables and salad, with
>> perhaps a piece of fruit later on.
>>
>> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any sort
>> of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself. I
>> am doing my best to convince him to go for tests when the doc orders and
>> he just procrastinates about it and somehow he just doesn't go. Nagging
>> makes it worse.
>>
>> But eating just meat and veggies and salad for dinner seems to satisfy
>> him and wasted no time in pointing out to him that he isn't into the
>> chips and cookies and who knows what all else after dinner when he keeps
>> his carb intake down.
>>

> Hell Ev - he voted for Obama.
> How many life changing measures do you expect the guy to make without
> some resistance ?
> Tell him how truly NASTY neuropathies are, and how they can be
> avoided if he............................behaves.

Been trying, D.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:41:51 -0500, Susan
> wrote:

>In my experience, that's not the reason. My worst, most disabling and
>life threatening conditions have been caused directly by my doctors,
>either due to treatment or failure to diagnose.
>
>I think we're built better. ;-)

You simply wear us out...

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:54:52 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>But eating just meat and veggies and salad for dinner seems to satisfy him
>and wasted no time in pointing out to him that he isn't into the chips and
>cookies and who knows what all else after dinner when he keeps his carb
>intake down.

Woo-hoo! Cool! Glad he's finally seen the light

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any sort
> of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself.

Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To kowtow
to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have that! I've
had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.
--
Best regards,
Michelle C., T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michelle C" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any sort
>> of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself.

> Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To kowtow
> to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have that! I've
> had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.

Then you DO know what I am dealing with. This morning, after that nice low
carb dinner the night before, I woke up to see him eating one of those huge
english muffins with lots of jam on it. He's definitely still in denial
about it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> "Michelle C" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any
>>> sort of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of
>>> himself.

>> Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To
>> kowtow to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have
>> that! I've had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.

> Then you DO know what I am dealing with. This morning, after that nice
> low carb dinner the night before, I woke up to see him eating one of
> those huge english muffins with lots of jam on it. He's definitely
> still in denial about it.

Evelyn, who does the grocery shopping? I don't have that kind of stuff
in the house. My DH is good about figuring carbs because his pump
requires it, but I wouldn't dream of having stuff around that was
totally off limits to him.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Michelle C" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "Evelyn" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
: >> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any sort
: >> of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself.
: >
: > Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To kowtow
: > to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have that! I've
: > had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.

: Then you DO know what I am dealing with. This morning, after that nice low
: carb dinner the night before, I woke up to see him eating one of those huge
: english muffins with lots of jam on it. He's definitely still in denial
: about it.

Can you just keep the no sugar added Smuckers jam in the house? Also keep
lots of Wasa or Ryevita in plae of all those english muffins. Then he can
have peanut butter and jelly if he likes.

I have also found the Arnold bakery carb bread pretty good and infinitely
better than the "light" breads which are so insubstantial that they don't
satisfy. the Arnold I get has 9 grams of carb per slice, 3 fiber for 6
grams net and tastes pretty good and has some heft.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To
>>> kowtow to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have
>>> that! I've had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.

>> Then you DO know what I am dealing with. This morning, after that nice
>> low carb dinner the night before, I woke up to see him eating one of
>> those huge english muffins with lots of jam on it. He's definitely
>> still in denial about it.
>>

> Evelyn, who does the grocery shopping? I don't have that kind of stuff in
> the house. My DH is good about figuring carbs because his pump requires
> it, but I wouldn't dream of having stuff around that was totally off
> limits to him.

We go shopping together, and the naughties just miraculously appear in the
cart. :-(

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : "Michelle C" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >
> : >> This is a guy who has always been extremely healthy, active, and any
> sort
> : >> of illness or weakness is not included in his definition of himself.
> : >
> : > Evelyn, the majority of the men in my family are like that too. To
> kowtow
> : > to a physical illness is to admit weakness. And we can't have that!
> I've
> : > had a couple of them tell me they'd rather be dead.
>

> : Then you DO know what I am dealing with. This morning, after that nice
> low
> : carb dinner the night before, I woke up to see him eating one of those
> huge
> : english muffins with lots of jam on it. He's definitely still in
> denial
> : about it.
>
> Can you just keep the no sugar added Smuckers jam in the house? Also keep
> lots of Wasa or Ryevita in plae of all those english muffins. Then he can
> have peanut butter and jelly if he likes.
>
> I have also found the Arnold bakery carb bread pretty good and infinitely
> better than the "light" breads which are so insubstantial that they don't
> satisfy. the Arnold I get has 9 grams of carb per slice, 3 fiber for 6
> grams net and tastes pretty good and has some heft.
>
> Wendy

He knows about the substitutions but he doesn't even care.

I will look for that bread, Wendy.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > Can you just keep the no sugar added Smuckers jam in the house? Also keep
: > lots of Wasa or Ryevita in plae of all those english muffins. Then he can
: > have peanut butter and jelly if he likes.
: >
: > I have also found the Arnold bakery carb bread pretty good and infinitely
: > better than the "light" breads which are so insubstantial that they don't
: > satisfy. the Arnold I get has 9 grams of carb per slice, 3 fiber for 6
: > grams net and tastes pretty good and has some heft.
: >
: > Wendy

: He knows about the substitutions but he doesn't even care.

: I will look for that bread, Wendy.

: --
: --
: Best Regards,

Can't you try to have just the OK jam in the house? I actually make my
own during the summer when I can either pick or buy berries fairly
inexpensively. You must have access to blackberries inlateJuly and
August, and blueberries are sometimtes on great sales a few times in the
summer at about $2 a pint. I use the no sugar neede pectin adn follow
the directions in he package. You can either do sterilized jam or freezer
jam, (if you have enough freezer room). If you want luxury, get the ocal
strawberries or go to a u-pick place if yur back can take it and the smae
for rapberries. I usesd to have enough raspberries on our little piece of
land to make jam, but they dies off and now I get enough for a few at
breakfast.

The home made is much tastier than the Smuckers. I sweeten it with
either Equal or splenda when I open the jar adn then refrigerate the open
jar as it does not last long when it has no sugar as a preservative.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>

> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > Can you just keep the no sugar added Smuckers jam in the house? Also
> keep
> : > lots of Wasa or Ryevita in plae of all those english muffins. Then he
> can
> : > have peanut butter and jelly if he likes.
> : >
> : > I have also found the Arnold bakery carb bread pretty good and
> infinitely
> : > better than the "light" breads which are so insubstantial that they
> don't
> : > satisfy. the Arnold I get has 9 grams of carb per slice, 3 fiber for
> 6
> : > grams net and tastes pretty good and has some heft.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>

> : He knows about the substitutions but he doesn't even care.
>
> : I will look for that bread, Wendy.
>
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
>
> Can't you try to have just the OK jam in the house? I actually make my
> own during the summer when I can either pick or buy berries fairly
> inexpensively. You must have access to blackberries inlateJuly and
> August, and blueberries are sometimtes on great sales a few times in the
> summer at about $2 a pint. I use the no sugar neede pectin adn follow
> the directions in he package. You can either do sterilized jam or freezer
> jam, (if you have enough freezer room). If you want luxury, get the ocal
> strawberries or go to a u-pick place if yur back can take it and the smae
> for rapberries. I usesd to have enough raspberries on our little piece of
> land to make jam, but they dies off and now I get enough for a few at
> breakfast.
>
> The home made is much tastier than the Smuckers. I sweeten it with
> either Equal or splenda when I open the jar adn then refrigerate the open
> jar as it does not last long when it has no sugar as a preservative.
>
> Wendy

I do make a lot of fresh fruit into jam for him, but he really has a serious
sweet tooth, and is just incorrigible at times.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
[...]

Congrats you've convinced your husband about eating low carb food, my mom had try it many times she haven't convinced my dad.. I also want to eat low carb foods a vegetable salad and fruits.