Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......

>>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.
>>

> You're serious?

I know we've been through this before.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : >>>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......
> : >>>>
> : >>>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.
> : >>>
> : >>>
> : >>
> : >> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to
> me.
> : >
>
> If you don't like leftovers, why did you buy a 6 quart crock pot for a
> family of three?

Because the recipes I have call for that large of a crockpot. I've been
collecting recipes and wasn't able to make them.

And when I do a pot roast, I have to use two pots. One for the meat and one
for the vegetables. It works, but then the vegetables don't pick up the
flavor of the meat.

When I make a recipe I have to make one that serves 8 people just to feed
the 3 of us. I tried doing recipes for 4 in attempt to help my husband with
weight loss, but then he'd serve himself first and there wouldn't be enough
food for Angela and I to eat! He can easily eat 3 to 4 servings (or more)
of something without batting an eye and then eat a big bag of chips and some
ice cream. We can go out to eat and as soon as we get home, he'll be
looking for food. Why he doesn't weigh 800 pounds is beyond me. He should!
Must have the world's fastest metabolism.

I do sometimes plan a small amount to be leftover for Angela's lunch the
following day or for husband to eat if we are not going to be home. That
doesn't mean they'll eat it though and much of the time I wind up throwing
leftovers out. But there have been many times I cooked for 8 people and
there was not a scrap left.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> [...]

>> There is also something about leftovers I just don't like. I don't
>> know what it is. It's not one particular thing. I have sometimes
>> cooked a lot of stuff and used the leftovers for days.
>>
>> When I ate pancakes, I used to make tons and freeze them. Also did
>> the same with muffins. I just can't eat stuff out of the freezer any
>> more. If I do try to eat it, I am just put off by it and wind up
>> throwing it out most of the time.
>>
>> I did cook up a ton of ground beef and froze it when I went to Costco
>> before the storm hit. The only ground beef they had came in a huge
>> package. I normally buy their 3 packs of 1 pound packages and we can
>> usually use them up before they go bad. Occasionally I have to put
>> one in the freezer where it usually stays until it has become frost
>> bitten and I throw it out about a year later. I am sometimes forced
>> to use the frozen meat but it's very difficult to remove from the
>> package. I never can remember to take it from the freezer so it thaws
>> and I dislike what the microwave does to meat when you try to thaw it
>> that way.
>>
>> Maybe I am just spoiled or something. My step grandpa refused to eat
>> any leftovers ever. My dad generally wouldn't eat them. Not that we
>> ever had leftovers in our house except for occasional turkey and
>> meatloaf. We generally only had meatloaf prior to a road trip and
>> we'd have the leftovers cold the following day. All these years I
>> assumed my mom made one meatloaf and we had the leftovers from that.
>> But when I make a meatloaf at home, there are never any leftovers. I
>> just recently learned that she made two of them and just stuck the 2nd
>> one straight into the fridge for the next day.
>>
>> One story that does stand out in my mind was the "spaghetti red".
>> This is what my family calls macaroni, beef and tomatoes. My grandma
>> came to take care of us while my mom was in the hospital. She had 8
>> kids so was used to cooking huge amounts. She made a pot of this and
>> we had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner the entire time my mom was
>> gone. She (unlike the other grandma) didn't believe in wasting food.
>> I got sooo sick of eating that I couldn't touch the stuff again for
>> years.

> I have a lot of sneaky ways to make things differently the next day.
>
> For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after
> dinner I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save
> the gravy too.
>
> Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook
> them in the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery,
> potato, small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and
> toss in a handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables
> are all cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized
> chunks. Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't
> even vaguely resemble the roaster you had the night before.

I had a lot of roast chicken left over once so I made chicken enchiladas
using Mission Carb Balance® tortillas (5 net grams per tortilla) and
making my own quick enchilada sauce. DH loved them.

here's the recipe for two people

* Exported from MasterCook *

Enchilada Sauce

2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
1 can tomato puree -- (10- 3/4 -ounce)
1 1/4 cups chicken broth

Heat the oil in a skillet. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Add flour
and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add remaining ingredients and simmer,
partly covered, for 15 minutes

note: If you like things spicy, you can add hot sauce or a little chili
in adobo sauce.

For the filling:

3 cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
-
Sautee onion, garlic and diced green peppers until soft. Mix with the
chicken and a little of the sauce to make the filling.

Enchiladas
4 fajita-size low-carb tortillas

To assemble:

Spray a square glass baking dish with Pam®
Dip tortillas in the sauce on both sides to soften. fill with chicken
mixture and roll. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Repeat with next
3 tortillas. Cover with remaining sauce.

If you want, you can sprinkle some shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack
cheese on top.

Bake at 350° until hot or if using cheese, until melted (about 15 minutes)

We had it with a green salad.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

When I make a pot roast and have left over beef potatoes ad carrots..I cut
them all up and chop some onions and sauté the onions until translucent then
add the cut up beef and veggies...makes a nice hash . I usually serve it
with leftover gravy. Hubby likes to add ketchup to it instead of gravy.
jacquie
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> [...]

> For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after
> dinner I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save the
> gravy too.
>
> Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook them
> in the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery, potato,
> small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and toss in a
> handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables are all
> cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized chunks.
> Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't even
> vaguely resemble the roaster you had the night before.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I wrap my half head of lettuce in a wet paper towel and store it in a baggie
in the fridge..makes the lettuce really crisp Never heard that about
cheese..I'll have to try it
Jacquie
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
>>> not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
>>> flavors meld together better.

>> Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

> Since you cook soups long till everything is tender, they improve when
> frozen. But if they contain pasta bits, they do not. The pasta gets
> soggy. Barley is fine however. Often I will make soups minus any
> pasta bits altogether, because I will make noodles or other pasta fresh
> when I thaw and serve them.
>
> Another good freezer tip is with a meat roast. I will slice the leftover
> meat up, and put it directly into the gravy. You have to be sure that it
> is all immersed before you freeze it. It will thaw and serve up
> beautifully.... though the gravy may separate at first, as you heat it, it
> will reconstitute itself perfectly. Since the meat is immersed in the
> gravy before you freeze it, it doesn't lose any flavor at all when frozen.
>
> To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
> the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but
> a sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
> towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
> place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing is
> that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't know
> how or why, but it works.

> Best Regards,
> Evelyn
>
> Rest in a sky-like mind.
> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> When I make a pot roast and have left over beef potatoes ad carrots..I cut
> them all up and chop some onions and sauté the onions until translucent
> then add the cut up beef and veggies...makes a nice hash . I usually serve
> it with leftover gravy. Hubby likes to add ketchup to it instead of gravy.

I made hash like that a couple of times and nobody liked it. I do make a
Southwestern hash and everyone loves it! But I have to double the recipe
because husband eats so much of it.

The original recipe called for a pound of ground beef which is browned.
Remove the beef from the skillet, then cook a package of O'Brien potatoes
(dices potato mixed with peppers and onion) until crisp in a little oil.
Add the beef back in, then a jar of salsa and heat through.

When I make it, I add a lot more peppers and onion to the mix and more beef
to make it lower in carbs. If my daughter isn't going to eat it, I use hot
salsa. But she likes her food less spicy so I usually make it with mild
salsa.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 08:10:46 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:00:46 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:
>
>>Hubby has gone off to have half of his mouth (gum disease) lasered.

>No need to worry him, but you might find this educational:
>http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...and-death.html
>
>There is a later paper showing a possible causative link for
>T2. Just letting you know for awareness.
>
>At least he will be eating as you eat at your place.
>
>Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

PS. I've added the later paper.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Diabetes and Dental health)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love my vacuum sealer. When I don't use a whole onion I store it in a
vacuum sealed bag...no more onion smell in the fridge. My freezer meat stays
nice longer too
jacquie

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> If it is losing flavor in the freezer, then there is something you are
>> not doing right. Some things actually improve in the freezer, as the
>> flavors meld together better.

> Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Pssst... don't tell 'em...

>> They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

> Do you use your freezer for anything other than storing ice cream and
> making ice cubes?

I have to ask, why buy a 6 quart crockpot which seems to me to be a
bloody big pot, and then you don't freeze anything and make whatever and
seem to make with all pre prepared foods, can of this, packet of that
whatever, I would have thought that the object of the exercise would be
to prepare fresh food, seasonally available or on special , not canned
or packaged and freeze the surplus for healthy eating later, rather than
huge meals now. But then I suppose you could just put it outside in all
that snow, no freezer needed :-)
Just beware of the bears. Just waiting to finish my Christmas ham the
make my infamous ham, pea, vegetable and barley soup and freeze some
portions for later in the year. I find the trip to the freezer seems to
improve the flavour. YMMV

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:17:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

>> Pssst... don't tell 'em...

>They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

Why ever not?!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 20:53:00 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:
>For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after dinner
>I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save the gravy
>too.
>
>Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook them in
>the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery, potato,
>small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and toss in a
>handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables are all
>cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized chunks.
>Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't even vaguely
>resemble the roaster you had the night before.

Yup; you just described our meals for the last 2 days, except I got a
copy of Jennifer Eloff's Splendid Low Carbing for Christmas, and made
a cream sauce for the chicken and added a pie topping : ) Lovely, and
1hr pp was 5.8. There's a small serve left over, that I'll have for
lunch. Half the stock in the fridge from the bones, too, for soup for
the kids' lunch; the rest in the freezer for another day.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:00:02 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
>the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but a
>sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
>towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
>place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing is
>that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't know how
>or why, but it works.

Never heard of that one, cool, I'll have to try it! I assume that's
for block cheese like cheddar, rather than for something you actually
want to keep on maturing?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

>> Do you use your freezer for anything other than storing ice cream and
>> making ice cubes?
>>

> I have to ask, why buy a 6 quart crockpot which seems to me to be a bloody
> big pot, and then you don't freeze anything and make whatever and seem to
> make with all pre prepared foods, can of this, packet of that whatever, I
> would have thought that the object of the exercise would be to prepare
> fresh food, seasonally available or on special , not canned or packaged
> and freeze the surplus for healthy eating later, rather than huge meals
> now. But then I suppose you could just put it outside in all that snow, no
> freezer needed :-)
> Just beware of the bears. Just waiting to finish my Christmas ham the make
> my infamous ham, pea, vegetable and barley soup and freeze some portions
> for later in the year. I find the trip to the freezer seems to improve the
> flavour. YMMV

I answered that already. But I'll answer it again.

As for the ice cubes, I don't use them. We do make them now occasionally
only because this refrigerator came with an ice cube bin. Angela sometimes
uses them. I don't eat ice cream. Husband eats a ton of ice cream and
freezer bars so we always have a lot of those in there. Angela eats Coconut
Bliss and likes frozen berries for smoothies. I do buy gluten free chicken
nuggets. I eat them for lunch most days because I seem to be able to digest
them well. I sometimes buy gluten free fish sticks for Angela. She doesn't
like them a lot but they can make a quick meal. Same for the gluten free
kid's meals I occasionally buy. There are also some veggie burgers in there
and occasionally frozen beef patties. There are a few bags of vegetables.
There is one shelf that is nothing but blue ice. I use a lot of that for
keeping food fresh on the way home from the store and for keeping beverages
cold. And there are some specifically for injuries.

As for needing the 6 qt. crockpot, that's what most of my recipes call for.
I got many of those from a gluten free site and the person who runs that
site says to use a 5 or 6 quart crockpot.

I also need that size to do a roast and vegetables in the same pot.

I do need leftovers on occasion for Angela's lunch the following day or for
husband when we are not home for dinner. These leftovers may or may not get
eaten. I never know. I can always hope.

And additionally, husband has such a huge appetite that I must make at least
8 servings of whatever food I am making. If I do roast beef, I cook at
least three pounds. And that's for two people because I don't eat it.
Angela eats a small piece and he eats most of the rest. There will usually
be a small piece left that he will eat some time after dinner or perhaps the
following day. Any leftover vegetables generally do not get eaten.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:17:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:17:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Pssst... don't tell 'em...

>>They'll know. And I won't eat it either.
>>

> Why ever not?!

I just don't like leftovers. The thought of eating something that I cooked
some time prior just isn't at all appealing. Now if I'm sick and eating
chicken soup, then I'll make an overly large pot of it because I won't feel
up to cooking every day and won't be able to taste it anyway. So it doesn't
matter. But most of the time, not. And I don't like having to futz with
stuff that has been frozen. The texture always seems to suffer.

As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't fill
me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of the
time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
they're not cheap!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> [...]

> For the filling:
>
> 3 cups diced cooked chicken
> 1/4 cup finely diced onion
> 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> -
> Sautee onion, garlic and diced green peppers until soft. Mix with the
> chicken and a little of the sauce to make the filling.
>
> Enchiladas
> 4 fajita-size low-carb tortillas
>
> To assemble:
>
> Spray a square glass baking dish with Pam®
> Dip tortillas in the sauce on both sides to soften. fill with chicken
> mixture and roll. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Repeat with next 3
> tortillas. Cover with remaining sauce.
>
> If you want, you can sprinkle some shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack
> cheese on top.
>
> Bake at 350° until hot or if using cheese, until melted (about 15 minutes)

That sounds like a good one!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I wrap my half head of lettuce in a wet paper towel and store it in a
>baggie in the fridge..makes the lettuce really crisp Never heard that
>about cheese..I'll have to try it
> Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

That's another great trick and it works really well. The lettuce won't get
brown and slimy if you keep it around long if you wrap it in a paper towel
before bagging it. We are only two people in the house, and little tricks
that prevent certain foods from going bad too quickly are especially needed
around here.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Vacuum sealer works great. Also good for cheeses in the 'fridge.

>> Since you cook soups long till everything is tender, they improve when
>> frozen. But if they contain pasta bits, they do not. The pasta gets
>> soggy. Barley is fine however. Often I will make soups minus any
>> pasta bits altogether, because I will make noodles or other pasta fresh
>> when I thaw and serve them.
>>
>> Another good freezer tip is with a meat roast. I will slice the
>> leftover meat up, and put it directly into the gravy. You have to be
>> sure that it is all immersed before you freeze it. It will thaw and
>> serve up beautifully.... though the gravy may separate at first, as you
>> heat it, it will reconstitute itself perfectly. Since the meat is
>> immersed in the gravy before you freeze it, it doesn't lose any flavor at
>> all when frozen.
>>
>> To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
>> the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but
>> a sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
>> towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
>> place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing
>> is that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't
>> know how or why, but it works.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Evelyn
>>
>> Rest in a sky-like mind.
>> Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
>> Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 20:53:00 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>>For instance I will roast a chicken in the oven one day. Then after
>>dinner
>>I will take the meat off all the bones and put it away. Save the gravy
>>too.
>>
>>Next day, peel a bunch of really nice fresh root vegetables and cook them
>>in
>>the gravy with a little water added. Usually carrots, celery, potato,
>>small whole onions, and a parsnip if I have one on hand, and toss in a
>>handful of frozen peas for color. Then when the vegetables are all
>>cooked, I will add the chicken meat cut into nice bite sized chunks.
>>Thicken the gravy and you have a nice chicken stew that doesn't even
>>vaguely
>>resemble the roaster you had the night before.

> Yup; you just described our meals for the last 2 days, except I got a
> copy of Jennifer Eloff's Splendid Low Carbing for Christmas, and made
> a cream sauce for the chicken and added a pie topping : ) Lovely, and
> 1hr pp was 5.8. There's a small serve left over, that I'll have for
> lunch. Half the stock in the fridge from the bones, too, for soup for
> the kids' lunch; the rest in the freezer for another day.

With the cost of food what it is, I think it is only smart to find ways to
make food go further than one meal. A smart cook plans it that way if
there is anything larger than what can be consumed at one meal.

I also have another food-prep habit that I believe keeps us healthy. I
almost NEVER use prepared foods. Other than things like ketchup and
mustard and such, I make just about everything from scratch.

I would sooner DIE than use frozen potatoes or prepare a casserole with a
can of mushroom soup. Some vegetables come through the freezing process
quite OK, like green beans, peas, but absolutely I buy broccoli fresh, and
just about all the other vegetables I use are FRESH. We eat a lot of
various kinds of squash, and all the root vegetables are also fresh. We
eat seasonally that way. I don't buy corn very often in the winter,
because in the summer we get the very best corn picked that very morning
from the local farms.

Now it isn't a solid rule for us to eat locally and seasonally, because it
could get to be too restricting, but we try to take advantage of the local
bounty, with sort of makes us eat locally and seasonally. I believe that
it is better for you all around to do that, if it is at all possible.

Needless to say, unlike Julies family, we have very few real hatreds of any
foods. We like just about everything, but my husband absolutely won't eat
lamb because he doesn't like the taste, and I absolutely won't eat veal,
because of the cruelty in the way they are raised. We eat beef, chicken,
pork, fish of several varieties, almost always fresh, but occasionally
frozen.

I am a very good cook (maybe too good) and I feel strongly about wasting
food but I feel equally strongly about preparing things well, and taking
best advantage of the item I spent my money to buy. Allan Watts, the
famous Zen master said that if you cook a chicken badly, that chicken has
died in vain!

Now I bring this next item up because I noticed them being mentioned a few
times......I NEVER would dream of buying chicken nuggets or other prepared
items like that, because they are concocted from all sorts of horrible
stuff, and I can't imagine it would be healthy for me or actually anyone.
You have no idea when stuff like that was actually made. It could be that
it was prepared 6 months ago and stored forever in the grocers freezer, with
chemicals added to make their shape stay, and the flavor stay, and all of
that. I don't think I have eaten prepared stuff like that willfully in
many a year.

Instead I would buy chicken breasts, cut them into small nuggets, and make a
nice coating then fry them myself. Cheaper, more healthy, and you know
what is in it.

Now that is just a part of my food philosophy.

For what it is worth, everyone says my husband and myself don't look our
age, they take us for as much as 20 years younger. We both have diabetes,
he was diagnosed only recently, but we do look and feel pretty decent. I
attribute it to eating locally, seasonally, and avoiding processed foods.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:00:02 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>To keep cheeses in the fridge you need to use an old fashioned trick from
>>the days before refrigeration. If you have a cheesecloth then fine, but
>>sheet of paper towel works just as well. Wet the cheesecloth or paper
>>towel with plain white vinegar and then wrap it around the cheese, THEN
>>place it into a plastic bag. It will not get moldy. What is amazing is
>>that it absolutely does NOT flavor the cheese with vinegar! Don't know
>>how
>>or why, but it works.

> Never heard of that one, cool, I'll have to try it! I assume that's
> for block cheese like cheddar, rather than for something you actually
> want to keep on maturing?

I wouldn't know about that. But it is a very old trick and it works very
well. My mother died at 82, 8 years ago, and she was the one who taught me
that trick. She learned it from her grandmother. People have been
making cheese for many years, with no refrigerators, and there are lots of
tricks like that which we have for the most part forgotten.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't fill
>me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of the
>time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
>for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
>they're not cheap!

Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
preservatives and the like...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:18:18 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>I would sooner DIE than use frozen potatoes or prepare a casserole with a
>can of mushroom soup.

I am SO glad to hear you say that, Evelyn - you've restored (some) of
my faith in American cuisine : )

>Allan Watts, the
>famous Zen master said that if you cook a chicken badly, that chicken has
>died in vain!

True. I've actually started to eat rose veal again, because the UK has
stopped the cage process for making veal, and instead let the calves
suckle and live outside with the mothers for about 6 months. This
means they actually get something of a life - and the meat is
delicious. I'd rather they were raised for meat, than shot at birth.

Like you, I prepare pretty well everything from scratch, and try to
keep my food miles as low as practical. Dunno if it makes us look
younger, but it sure improves our meals : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:18:18 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>I would sooner DIE than use frozen potatoes or prepare a casserole with a
>>can of mushroom soup.

> I am SO glad to hear you say that, Evelyn - you've restored (some) of
> my faith in American cuisine : )
>
>>Allan Watts, the
>>famous Zen master said that if you cook a chicken badly, that chicken has
>>died in vain!

> True. I've actually started to eat rose veal again, because the UK has
> stopped the cage process for making veal, and instead let the calves
> suckle and live outside with the mothers for about 6 months. This
> means they actually get something of a life - and the meat is
> delicious. I'd rather they were raised for meat, than shot at birth.
>
> Like you, I prepare pretty well everything from scratch, and try to
> keep my food miles as low as practical. Dunno if it makes us look
> younger, but it sure improves our meals : )

Rose veal is excellent, if you can get it. At least the animal isn't
deliberately removed at birth from its mother and fed a formula purposefully
deficient in proper nutrients, JUST for the purpose of making the meat white
and tender. Veal calves are usually so sick they can barely stand when
they slaughter them. There are some foods that are raised in such a cruel
way, that it should be outlawed.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't fill
>>me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of
>>the
>>time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
>>for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
>>they're not cheap!

> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
> preservatives and the like...

Absolutely! And they probably taste better too.

I make chicken breasts milanese style that everyone loves. I take chicken
breast, and either slice them to be thinner, or pound them out between two
sheets of plastic wrap to make them thinner, then I dip them in beaten egg
and then in italian style breadcrumbs to which I have added garlic powder,
grated romano cheese, some kosher salt and black pepper. This works for
nugget shapes as well as the traditional flat shape. At least it is fresh,
and there are no preservatives or fillers or chemicals. I am sure some
form of low carb bread could be used instead for the crumbs.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> They'll know. And I won't eat it either.

>> Do you use your freezer for anything other than storing ice cream and
>> making ice cubes?
>>

> I have to ask, why buy a 6 quart crockpot which seems to me to be a bloody
> big pot, and then you don't freeze anything and make whatever and seem to
> make with all pre prepared foods, can of this, packet of that whatever, I
> would have thought that the object of the exercise would be to prepare
> fresh food, seasonally available or on special , not canned or packaged
> and freeze the surplus for healthy eating later, rather than huge meals
> now. But then I suppose you could just put it outside in all that snow, no
> freezer needed :-)
> Just beware of the bears. Just waiting to finish my Christmas ham the make
> my infamous ham, pea, vegetable and barley soup and freeze some portions
> for later in the year. I find the trip to the freezer seems to improve the
> flavour. YMMV
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

Ham is such a good choice because you get to re-use it in so very many ways
after the main meal is over with. I made pea soup, have been putting bits
of chopped ham in omelets for breakfast, making ham salad, and ham
sandwiches for lunch, and plan to put some more of the chopped ham bits in
my macaroni and cheese. Still have a few chunks left which I might freeze
for some other time. It was a big ham and we are about hammed-out!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 22:51:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
>>throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I
>>prepared
>>tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
>>Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to
>>par
>>boil it.

> My Mum used to boil it once in water for an hour or so, then for
> several hours in milk with lots of onions and black pepper. Used to be
> one of my total favourite foods - I can't find anywhere to buy it from
> any more, I even tried to get it last time I had a 1/4 cow from a
> butcher who does his own killing, but it was all spoken for by the
> restaurant trade!

Nicky they sell it in packages in the grocery store here, and it is
inexpensive. I guess it is not so much in demand. I might try that
recipe you mentioned. It sounds somewhat interesting.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't fill
>>me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of
>>the
>>time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
>>for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
>>they're not cheap!

> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
> preservatives and the like...

No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I don't
want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't think...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't
>>>fill
>>>me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of
>>>the
>>>time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
>>>for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
>>>they're not cheap!

>> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
>> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
>> preservatives and the like...

> Absolutely! And they probably taste better too.
>
> I make chicken breasts milanese style that everyone loves. I take
> chicken breast, and either slice them to be thinner, or pound them out
> between two sheets of plastic wrap to make them thinner, then I dip them
> in beaten egg and then in italian style breadcrumbs to which I have added
> garlic powder, grated romano cheese, some kosher salt and black pepper.
> This works for nugget shapes as well as the traditional flat shape. At
> least it is fresh, and there are no preservatives or fillers or chemicals.
> I am sure some form of low carb bread could be used instead for the
> crumbs.

I can't eat egg or breadcrumbs. These are special allergen free ones. I
have not been able to re-create them at home.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Ham is such a good choice because you get to re-use it in so very many
> ways after the main meal is over with. I made pea soup, have been
> putting bits of chopped ham in omelets for breakfast, making ham salad,
> and ham sandwiches for lunch, and plan to put some more of the chopped
> ham bits in my macaroni and cheese. Still have a few chunks left which
> I might freeze for some other time. It was a big ham and we are about
> hammed-out!

My weakness, heaps of sliced leg ham on fresh baked bread, butter with
nice hot english mustard, good thing I only buy a ham once a year.

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:59:45 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Nicky they sell it in packages in the grocery store here, and it is
>inexpensive. I guess it is not so much in demand. I might try that
>recipe you mentioned. It sounds somewhat interesting.

<sniff> I just had a google for it, I can only buy it from a dog-food
supplier!

This is pretty well exactly what my Mum did:
http://thefoody.com/meat/tripeonions.html

....although I remember it cooking for a loooong time. Hey, I bet it'd
do well in a crockpot.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: Ham is such a good choice because you get to re-use it in so very many ways
: after the main meal is over with. I made pea soup, have been putting bits
: of chopped ham in omelets for breakfast, making ham salad, and ham
: sandwiches for lunch, and plan to put some more of the chopped ham bits in
: my macaroni and cheese. Still have a few chunks left which I might freeze
: for some other time. It was a big ham and we are about hammed-out!

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

G I NV U

Wendy:-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
>>> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
>>> preservatives and the like...

>> Absolutely! And they probably taste better too.
>>
>> I make chicken breasts milanese style that everyone loves. I take
>> chicken breast, and either slice them to be thinner, or pound them out
>> between two sheets of plastic wrap to make them thinner, then I dip them
>> in beaten egg and then in italian style breadcrumbs to which I have added
>> garlic powder, grated romano cheese, some kosher salt and black pepper.
>> This works for nugget shapes as well as the traditional flat shape. At
>> least it is fresh, and there are no preservatives or fillers or
>> chemicals. I am sure some form of low carb bread could be used instead
>> for the crumbs.

> I can't eat egg or breadcrumbs. These are special allergen free ones. I
> have not been able to re-create them at home.

If it were me, I'd experiment some more. Instead of egg, dip them in
buttermilk, or possibly make a batter of something you aren't allergic to.
Use a bit of romano grated cheese and garlic powder as a breading. Keep on
trying. Those prepared things have nothing but chemicals in them, and the
"chicken" is really just bits of chicken meat mooshed together.

Cooking is a constant process of experimentation.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
>
> : Ham is such a good choice because you get to re-use it in so very many
> ways
> : after the main meal is over with. I made pea soup, have been putting
> bits
> : of chopped ham in omelets for breakfast, making ham salad, and ham
> : sandwiches for lunch, and plan to put some more of the chopped ham bits
> in
> : my macaroni and cheese. Still have a few chunks left which I might
> freeze
> : for some other time. It was a big ham and we are about hammed-out!
>
> : --
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> G I NV U
>
> Wendy:-)

Wendy if you have ever had a really good turkey pastrami, it tastes exactly
like ham.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:59:45 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nicky they sell it in packages in the grocery store here, and it is
>>inexpensive. I guess it is not so much in demand. I might try that
>>recipe you mentioned. It sounds somewhat interesting.

> <sniff> I just had a google for it, I can only buy it from a dog-food
> supplier!
>
> This is pretty well exactly what my Mum did:
> http://thefoody.com/meat/tripeonions.html
>
> ...although I remember it cooking for a loooong time. Hey, I bet it'd
> do well in a crockpot.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Nicky I absolutely cannot access that site no matter what I try. Can you
copy and paste the recipe here?
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: ...
: > wrote:
[...]

Evelyn,

I am 100 with you on this. And we, certainly, get fabulous local
vegetbles in season! I grow a large planter of cherry tomatoes which are
fun to have and easier on my back to work with. Fun for snacking, but not
enough. Every Fall I get, quite inexpensively, a half abushel of plum
tomatoes adn dr some in the cheap drier I bougt some years ago and then
make a great big pot of stewed tomatoes with green peppers, onions, and
fresh basil and garlic, etc. this I freeze after puring off some of the
liquid adn it is a taste of summer whenever you drfrost and heat a
container. the liquid I serve us for soup for dinner the night I make the
tomatoes. I have also mentioned making my own no sugar added jam using
the special pectins for no sugar added. We pick our own blackberries ,
but no longer can go to the u-pick places for other berries. I do get
bluberries when they are on gret pspecial and make jam with them too. If
I can get local strawberries I do them too, although that comes ut qite
expensive. Ufortunatly, I cannot find local raspberries which, in my
opinion, make the best jam.

Ou local, NYC Fairway sells loose beets in the winter for a good price. I
like to get a pressure cooker full and have them for days. I could roast
them, but we find the taste so intense that we prefer the boiled ones.

Recently, I have been doing stuffed peppers. We get three generous meals
for the two of us for a pound of ground turkey or beef. Next time I am
going to try a Hungarian version, using sweet and hot paprika. I found
htat the Arnold Bakery Carb Counting multigrain bread(6 grams net carbs)
makes good bread crumbs for these chopped meat dishes. I use 2-3 slices
with the pound of meat and thqt goes for 6 portions, so at most 1 1/2
grams carb added.

Oh well, enough rant!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 01:09:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>As for eating the chicken nuggets... They are something that doesn't
>>>fill
>>>me up too much, not objectionable to eat, I can digest them, and most of
>>>the
>>>time don't cause my BG to spike. That is why I have stuck to eating them
>>>for lunch. I am exploring other options though because at $5.99 per box,
>>>they're not cheap!

>> Buy chicken breasts, cut them up, coat them in whatever coating you
>> like, and freeze them... a fraction of the cost, zero grotty
>> preservatives and the like...

> No. I don't like the ones I've made and after cutting up chicken, I don't
> want to eat it. These do not contain any preservatives, I don't think...

I like eating food others have prepared too, but unfortunately I am not in a
financial position to entertain such whims for very long, and I realize that
if I am going to eat right I will have to prepare it myself, even if it is
something where I get my hands wet or sticky.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:59:45 -0500, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nicky they sell it in packages in the grocery store here, and it is
>>> inexpensive. I guess it is not so much in demand. I might try
>>> that recipe you mentioned. It sounds somewhat interesting.

>> <sniff> I just had a google for it, I can only buy it from a dog-food
>> supplier!
>>
>> This is pretty well exactly what my Mum did:
>> http://thefoody.com/meat/tripeonions.html
>>
>> ...although I remember it cooking for a loooong time. Hey, I bet it'd
>> do well in a crockpot.
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

> Nicky I absolutely cannot access that site no matter what I try. Can you
> copy and paste the recipe here?
> Thanks.

The site seems to be down at the moment. Try again in a few hours.

--
Ray
UK

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Absolutely! And they probably taste better too.
>>>
>>> I make chicken breasts milanese style that everyone loves. I take
>>> chicken breast, and either slice them to be thinner, or pound them out
>>> between two sheets of plastic wrap to make them thinner, then I dip them
>>> in beaten egg and then in italian style breadcrumbs to which I have
>>> added garlic powder, grated romano cheese, some kosher salt and black
>>> pepper. This works for nugget shapes as well as the traditional flat
>>> shape. At least it is fresh, and there are no preservatives or fillers
>>> or chemicals. I am sure some form of low carb bread could be used
>>> instead for the crumbs.

>> I can't eat egg or breadcrumbs. These are special allergen free ones. I
>> have not been able to re-create them at home.

> If it were me, I'd experiment some more. Instead of egg, dip them in
> buttermilk, or possibly make a batter of something you aren't allergic to.
> Use a bit of romano grated cheese and garlic powder as a breading. Keep
> on trying. Those prepared things have nothing but chemicals in them, and
> the "chicken" is really just bits of chicken meat mooshed together.
>
> Cooking is a constant process of experimentation.

I can't have dairy and can't stand garlic. What I buy are not bits of
chicken smooshed together. It's the Ian's brand. They are very wholesome.
Not chemicals. Part of the reason I pay more for them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I can't eat egg or breadcrumbs. These are special allergen free ones.
>>> I have not been able to re-create them at home.

>> If it were me, I'd experiment some more. Instead of egg, dip them in
>> buttermilk, or possibly make a batter of something you aren't allergic
>> to. Use a bit of romano grated cheese and garlic powder as a breading.
>> Keep on trying. Those prepared things have nothing but chemicals in
>> them, and the "chicken" is really just bits of chicken meat mooshed
>> together.
>>
>> Cooking is a constant process of experimentation.

> I can't have dairy and can't stand garlic. What I buy are not bits of
> chicken smooshed together. It's the Ian's brand. They are very
> wholesome. Not chemicals. Part of the reason I pay more for them.

That is good. What are in the list of ingredients? Also consider that
they have been made some considerable time ago. Essentially they are
"leftovers" in the sense that they are not prepared fresh.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:49:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Nicky I absolutely cannot access that site no matter what I try. Can you
>copy and paste the recipe here?

Curious - I wonder if they're IP-filtering it or something! Anyway,
here's the recipe:

600ml (1 pint) Milk
450g (1lb) Dressed Tripe, washed
25g (1oz) Butter
3 Medium Onions, sliced
3 tbsp Plain Flour
1 Bay Leaf
Pinch Grated Nutmeg
Fresh Parsley

Place the tripe in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
Bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat, drain.
Rinse under cold running water.
Cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.
Place the tripe, milk, onions, bay leaf and nutmeg into a saucepan.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.
Keep the tripe and onions warm.
Melt the butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for
2 minute, stirring constantly.
Make the liquid up to 600ml (1 pint) with milk or cream, gradually add
to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens. [Note that you
could also boil the milk down, maybe add some cream, to thicken it; or
use your favourite low-carb thickener of choice. - Nicky.]
Garnish with parsley.
Serve with potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Enjoy!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : >>>>> You could always freeze the soup and serve it another day......
> : >>>>
> : >>>> Nope. Nobody here will eat stuff from the freezer.

> : >> I won't eat it from the freezer either. Doesn't taste very good to
> : >> me.
> : >
>
> If you don't like leftovers, why did you buy a 6 quart crock pot for a
> family of three?

Did you teach Logic, as well as History? ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:49:09 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nicky I absolutely cannot access that site no matter what I try. Can you
>>copy and paste the recipe here?

> Curious - I wonder if they're IP-filtering it or something! Anyway,
> here's the recipe:
>
> 600ml (1 pint) Milk
> 450g (1lb) Dressed Tripe, washed
> 25g (1oz) Butter
> 3 Medium Onions, sliced
> 3 tbsp Plain Flour
> 1 Bay Leaf
> Pinch Grated Nutmeg
> Fresh Parsley
>
> Place the tripe in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
> Bring to the boil.
> Remove from the heat, drain.
> Rinse under cold running water.
> Cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces.
> Place the tripe, milk, onions, bay leaf and nutmeg into a saucepan.
> Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
> Remove from the heat, strain and reserve the liquid.
> Keep the tripe and onions warm.
> Melt the butter in the saucepan, stir in the flour and cook gently for
> 2 minute, stirring constantly.
> Make the liquid up to 600ml (1 pint) with milk or cream, gradually add
> to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
> Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens. [Note that you
> could also boil the milk down, maybe add some cream, to thicken it; or
> use your favourite low-carb thickener of choice. - Nicky.]
> Garnish with parsley.
> Serve with potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Thanks Nicky. I saved it and will definitely try it when I next see tripe
in the store.