Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
Nick Cramer wrote:

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they routinely
use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local contact person
said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come from
Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Jacquie wrote:
: When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
: up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
: That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
: doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
: seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

I would hesitate to eat split pea soup in a restaurant. It is generally
very thick, having been thickened by some additional starch besides he
peas themselves. also watch any creamed spinach in restaurants, as it is
ofen similarly thickened with either flour or cornstarch. I learned this
the hard way some years ago.

I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly or
entirely.

The restaurant we dined at yesterday had navy bean soup. I really wanted
some but didn't have it. Seems most restaurants these days start with some
sort of soup base and it almost always has wheat in it.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
When I cook hubby cleans When we have family over the men do clean
up...Yes we trained them well..LOL.
That split pea soup sounds yummy...I haven't had it in so long. ...Hubby
doesn't like green stuff unless its in a salad Many restaurants don't
seem to serve it anymore..or I am there on the wrong day.

Wow, you did train them well!

Soups are not only healthy, but good diet food, and very economical. For
some reason soups are no longer as popular as they once were. Perhaps
with the economy as it is, they will grow in popularity again.

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
used to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them
were delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it
is time to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of
them.

Some of the soups I made regularly are; chicken vegetable, Italian Wedding
soup, chicken broth with Matzo balls, Beef mushroom barley, Lentil, Ham
barley, and various cream of vegetable soups, such as cream of spinach,
cream of broccoli, cream of potato and Minestrone.

As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

"Evelyn" wrote in message

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]
Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
ingredients on hand.
[]

Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do
my
cooking! ;-D

I am the only one around here. Sometimes I can con my husband into
helping a little, but not much. Fortunately I love to cook, and have a
large freezer, which I keep stocked.

This thanksgiving, a local grocery store gave out free turkeys or free
hams, whichever one you wanted. The hams were not low salt, as I'd had
that brand before, and we'd had our fill of turkey already at that
point.

So I took a ham thinking I would solve the salt problem some way. It
was a huge ham, far too large for the two of us, so I put off using it
till yesterday. I knew it would be a big job.

I decided to boil the ham to solve the salty problem, and in the process
get a nice big pot of broth for soup. That worked out very well, and
once it was cooked through, I removed the ham to the side to cool.

I added a couple of packages of dried split peas, some chopped carrots,
garlic, celery, onion, parsnip and potato, and it made a great tasting
pot of soup. I used my wand blender to puree the whole thing when it
was done. While the soup was cooking I deboned the Ham, and the larger
chunks were sliced and served with dinner, the smaller stuff chopped and
added back into the pea soup.

I still have quite a bit left, for ham salad, breakfast, lunches,
whatever.

Today we put the pea soup in plastic containers and froze it. Some I
gave to my neighbor so they will get a nice lunch out of it too. We
tend to like to have home made soup for lunches. This batch turned out
really good.

There are so many great kinds of soup that can be made from ham broth.
Various bean soups always are excellent, but I also make a
ham/vegetable/barley soup that is to die for, from ham broth as well.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.
I also like the Campbell's frozen cream of potato soup. Remember their
frozen
soups?

"Evelyn" wrote in message

m...

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]
Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
ingredients on hand.
[]

Sounds lazy-good, Eva. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do

Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
: meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

: I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
: to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
: become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
: onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
: should have a decent stew.

: Priscilla

I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

Wendy

Old 02-01-2009, 02:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
As for approximating some of my old favorites that I never see in cans
anymore, I probably won't try the pepper pot, since that is made with
tripe, and I am unsure of how to handle it. But I certainly could make
the others. A lamb shank might be a good base to make the scotch broth
with. The chicken gumbo is really just a chicken tomato with the addition
of Okra and green pepper, and perhaps a piece of sausage.

Campbell soups used to have a lot of salt in them. I'm sure yours are
healthier.

As to tripe, you might like this:

Tripe is the lining of the first stomach of the cow.

Trippa all'Olivitana (Tripe 'Olivetana' Style): This is an extremely rich
Sicilian way of preparing tripe, with veal, cheese, and more.

INGREDIENTS:

1-3/4 pound (800 g) tripe, diced
2 ounces (50 g) lard (substitute oil if you prefer)
1 onion
3 plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (optional)
2 eggplants, sliced and fried
1/2 pound (200 g) ground veal cooked in sauce (see below)
2 ounces (50 g) grated seasoned caciocavallo Sicilian cheese
1/4 pound (100 g) fresh primosale (extremely fresh Sicilian cheese as
opposed to seasoned - pecorino cheese if need be), thinly sliced
A small bunch parsley, minced
2 cloves, ground
A pinch ground cinnamon
3 eggs, 2 hard boiled and sliced, and the other fresh
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

Sauté the onion in the lard until lightly browned in an ovenproof pot. The
original recipe contains neither tomatoes nor garlic, but they've crept in
over the years. Therefore add them, together with the tripe, a few drops of
oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and the spices (cinnamon and cloves, to taste).
Stir well to combine, bring to a boil and remove from the fire when all is
heated through.

Pour the contents of the pot into a bowl. Don't wash the pot, but rather
refill it, layering it with the eggplant, the tripe, and then the ground
meat; dust the meat with some grated caciocavallo (don't put all of it into
the filling, however) and cover with a few slices of primo sale, then
repeat with more layers until all is used up. Sprinkle the oil over the top
and spread the hard boiled eggs over it too.

Lightly beat the fresh egg and mix the remaining caciocavallo into it,
together with salt, pepper, and a little more parsley. Spread this mixture
over the top and bake, covered, in the oven (400 F, 200 C) until it is
bubbling nicely, then remove cover and continue baking 'til it's nicely
browned. Serve with Nerello di Marsala, a dry red.

MANGIA! MANGIA!

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily. The
food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Sorry to hear that. You were at the wrong end (M word) of the island.
The east end is where you'll find the best people, food and
scenery. Catania for seafood! My Grandfather came from Giardini-Naxos.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Jacquie wrote:
: [ . . . ]
I don't make split pea soup anymore, but I do lightly lentiled lentil
soup, usign about half of what the recipe calls for and adding oher less
starchy vegetables. If you like it thck, puree the soup, either partly
or entirely.

My late ex-MIL made habichuelas negras, Puerto Rican black bean soup. I
loved it. That sweet old gal could cook! I make a version of it that is
thick and spicy, with no pureeing or thickeners added. Well, I do add pigs'
feet and let it all simmer overnight or more. Recipe on demand.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

We just had a recent misfortune requiring a stay in Palermo, Sicily.
The food was almost inedible due to the huge quantities of salt they
routinely use. Even the bread was very salty. From what our local
contact person said, all the food in Sicily is highly salted.

The pastries aren't salty, but one can't live on pastry.

Interesting. Husband's family is Italian and I've been told they come
from Sicily. Could explain why husband puts so much salt on everything.

Does he know what village, town, city or region? My Grandfather came from
Giardini-Naxos, on the east end of Sicily, between Taormina and Catania.

Mediterranian sea salt is tasty. I like a few crystals on a Tbs of olive
oil or a slice of tomato, but, as AlanS says, "All things in moderation,
except laughter!"

Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: "W. Baker" wrote:
[ . . . ]
I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

I love turnips. I get them a few times a year, but always for Burns Night
(Jan 25th). Neeps and Tatties!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2

PP

Wow, all three of my favorites on one page! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Evelyn" wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
[...]

Nick, when you buy tripe, don't you have to soak it, then par boil it then
throw away the first water from it or something like that? Once I prepared
tripe but didn't do this, and the flavor was very strong and unpleasant.
Threw the whole mess out. Someone later told me that I was supposed to par
boil it.

Ev

Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:

There are a lot of canned soups I never see around anymore. Campbells
used
to have Pepper Pot, Chicken Gumbo, and Scotch Broth. All of them were
delicious, and I used to always keep them in the house. I guess it is
time
to try and make all of these myself, or some approximation of them.

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/pro...8&pagenumber=2

PP

Wow, all three of my favorites on one page! Thanks!

You're welcome!

They're a bit pricey, but for a few cans I think the nostalgia is worth
it.

PP.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Last week we had lamb stew, made with 2 lbs of
: meat and all kinds of stuff tht lasted us for four meals!

: I have two pounds of (grass-fed) buffalo stew meat defrosting for a stew
: to break me of the turkey habit in a day or two. My fridge has somehow
: become overrun with late farmers' market carrots. Along with plenty of
: onions, a mess of garlic, and a token amount of Yukon Gold potato, I
: should have a decent stew.

: Priscilla

I just love the carrots tht are cooked inthe stew. I often use white
turnips(with the purple bottoms) peeled and chunked in lace of the
potatoes. Green pepper andcelerywould be nice too. Enjoy!

Come to think of it, I think I do have some white turnips in the back of
the fridge. Yellow, too, but that's too good on its own to put in a
stew. I can't imagine green pepper in a stew, but I put celery in pot
roast, so it should go in stew just fine.

I like to put green beans in my lamb and goat stew.

PP
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I used to eat allot of the Knorr packaged soup. Oxtail was my favorite. I
could live on soup..but hubby informed me the other day he couldn't...LOL.

I could live on soup too but the other day, Angela crossed her arms and
declared, "I don't want anything soupish!" This after days of my making
soup for dinner and nothing but soup.