Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Eyed Peas

Enough of this Thanksgiving Day nonsense. Let's get back to real
Winter cooking.

I've taken to having some sorta beans n' hocks on hand at all times.
Having Red Bean'd it to death for the last 3 wks, I'm gonna shift
gears to black eyed peas. Natch, I have the requisite hock, but what
else, besides some garlic and an onion? And no! ...I don't want yer
recipe fer freakin' corn bread! :\

nb

--
Gimme a bean in the pot,
an I'll give ya' a toot in the boot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 11:26 AM, notbob wrote:
> Enough of this Thanksgiving Day nonsense. Let's get back to real
> Winter cooking.
>
> I've taken to having some sorta beans n' hocks on hand at all times.
> Having Red Bean'd it to death for the last 3 wks, I'm gonna shift
> gears to black eyed peas. Natch, I have the requisite hock, but
> what else, besides some garlic and an onion? And no! ...I don't want
> yer recipe fer freakin' corn bread! :\
>
> nb

I won't give you a recipe for cornbread I will say I've never cared
for blackeyed peas. Maybe it's just the way they were served to me.
New Year's Eve Hoppin' John. It was probably my ex-MIL's way of cooking
them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.

I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
for rice. I just don't buy blackeyed peas anymore. Good luck! (Heh,
they never brought me luck.)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-24, jmcquown > wrote:

> New Year's Eve Hoppin' John.

Yep! ...with that stupid rice, again.

> them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
> very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.

....and the rice certainly didn't help.

> I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
> for rice.

Yep. All my beans cooked until they give up their natural bean
creme/gravy and with plenty of liquid to spare. Right between stew
and soup. No rice allowed!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 12:12 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-24, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> New Year's Eve Hoppin' John.

> Yep! ...with that stupid rice, again.
>
>> them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
>> very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.

> ...and the rice certainly didn't help.
>
>> I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
>> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
>> for rice.

> Yep. All my beans cooked until they give up their natural bean
> creme/gravy and with plenty of liquid to spare. Right between stew
> and soup. No rice allowed!!
>
> nb

That's exactly the way beans should be cooked, IMHO. Even though I like
red beans & rice, when I make it, it's "soupy" Blackeyed peas have a
slightly different texture from red or kidney beans, though. They
always seem a little dry to me. YMMV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/24/2012 12:12 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-11-24, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> New Year's Eve Hoppin' John.

>> Yep! ...with that stupid rice, again.
>>
>>> them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
>>> very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.

>> ...and the rice certainly didn't help.
>>
>>> I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
>>> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
>>> for rice.

>> Yep. All my beans cooked until they give up their natural bean
>> creme/gravy and with plenty of liquid to spare. Right between stew
>> and soup. No rice allowed!!
>>
>> nb
>>

> That's exactly the way beans should be cooked, IMHO. Even though I like
> red beans & rice, when I make it, it's "soupy" Blackeyed peas have a
> slightly different texture from red or kidney beans, though. They
> always seem a little dry to me. YMMV.

BEP's work well in falafel.

~bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-24, zxcvbob > wrote:

> BEP's work well in falafel.

Now that sounds interesting. I LOVE falafel. I'll give it a shot next
Spring.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Enough of this Thanksgiving Day nonsense. Let's get back to real
> Winter cooking.
>
> I've taken to having some sorta beans n' hocks on hand at all times.
> Having Red Bean'd it to death for the last 3 wks, I'm gonna shift
> gears to black eyed peas. Natch, I have the requisite hock, but what
> else, besides some garlic and an onion? And no! ...I don't want yer
> recipe fer freakin' corn bread! :\
>
> nb

I like to add some red pepper flakes to mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-24, l not -l > wrote:

> hocks. For a pound of black-eyed peas, I'd use 8 ounces of smoked
> jowl, cut into a half-inch dice.

Never seen "jowl" in our mkt. I actually use smoked shanks, they
having more meat and that's what our lone mkt carries. Otherwise, my
recipe is pretty similar. I may try a tad bit o' oregano.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-24, Cheri > wrote:

> I like to add some red pepper flakes to mine.

Yep. I usually add some to mine, also. Cayenne pwdr if outta flakes.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/11/2012 11:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I won't give you a recipe for cornbread I will say I've never cared
> for blackeyed peas. Maybe it's just the way they were served to me. New
> Year's Eve Hoppin' John. It was probably my ex-MIL's way of cooking
> them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
> very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.
>
> I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
> for rice. I just don't buy blackeyed peas anymore. Good luck! (Heh,
> they never brought me luck.)

I don't know if there is any hope for some of those legumes. I had a
lot of pork and beans when I was a kid, always canned, and was never
crazy about them, though most people seemed to like them more than I
did. Since so many other home made foods were better than canned I
figured that I should try making them. The beans were cheap, but by the
time I added all other ingredients the cost of making them had risen
considerably, and it took a long time. I was looking forward to trying
real pork and beans from scratch. Sadly, they were not very good. In
fact, I think the canned ones were better. Come to think of it, the
best pork and beans I ever had was a combination of canned and home made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:59:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I will say I've never cared for blackeyed peas.

And they were the first dried bean I liked. I can even eat them
straight from a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2012 17:12:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> All my beans cooked until they give up their natural bean
> creme/gravy and with plenty of liquid to spare. Right between stew
> and soup.

That's the way I like my beans too. I can never understand cooking
them until they are tender and stopping while every bean is still
whole. Where's the beany goodness in that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:26:51 +0000, notbob wrote:

> Natch, I have the requisite hock, but what else, besides
> some garlic and an onion?

Celery

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-24, Tara > wrote:

> Celery

Next time.

Danged iffin these beans didn't cook up faster'n a batch of bottled
moonshine disappears after word gets out.

Cooked in a record two hours. I hadda saute the onions and garlic
done in order to not add 'em raw. And Jill is right. They're kind of
a mealy bean. I bet I could pressure cook 'em without making them
gummy. I even hadda mash some up fer bean gravy, they not giving up
much of their own.

I jes finished a heaping bowl. I have also determined the
correct hot sauce is Louisiana red-dot hot sauce. Ooohh-weee! YUM

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-11-24, Tara > wrote:
>
>> Celery

> Next time.
>
> Danged iffin these beans didn't cook up faster'n a batch of bottled
> moonshine disappears after word gets out.
>
> Cooked in a record two hours. I hadda saute the onions and garlic
> done in order to not add 'em raw. And Jill is right. They're kind of
> a mealy bean. I bet I could pressure cook 'em without making them
> gummy. I even hadda mash some up fer bean gravy, they not giving up
> much of their own.

I always take out a cup or two with some liquid, use the power stick on
them, and return to the pot. Blackeyed peas always cook fast. Couple TBS of
cream added at that point is always good too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 2:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 24/11/2012 11:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I won't give you a recipe for cornbread I will say I've never cared
>> for blackeyed peas. Maybe it's just the way they were served to me. New
>> Year's Eve Hoppin' John. It was probably my ex-MIL's way of cooking
>> them - very dry because all the cooking liquid was drained off. It was
>> very dry, no liquid left to speak of. Also very bland.
>>
>> I'm sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
>> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
>> for rice. I just don't buy blackeyed peas anymore. Good luck! (Heh,
>> they never brought me luck.)
>>

> I don't know if there is any hope for some of those legumes. I had a
> lot of pork and beans when I was a kid, always canned, and was never
> crazy about them, though most people seemed to like them more than I
> did. Since so many other home made foods were better than canned I
> figured that I should try making them. The beans were cheap, but by the
> time I added all other ingredients the cost of making them had risen
> considerably, and it took a long time. I was looking forward to trying
> real pork and beans from scratch. Sadly, they were not very good. In
> fact, I think the canned ones were better. Come to think of it, the
> best pork and beans I ever had was a combination of canned and home made.

Dave, I'm not sure if what you call canned pork and beans is what I call
canned pork and beans. The ones I remember (and never liked) were
probably made by Heinz or Bush's. They were just shy of being tomatoey
and sweet and had some sort of diced "pork" in them. <shudder> They're
nothing like black eyed peas cooked with a ham hock and good seasonings

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 2:57 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-11-24, Tara > wrote:
>>
>>> Celery

>> Next time.
>>
>> Danged iffin these beans didn't cook up faster'n a batch of bottled
>> moonshine disappears after word gets out.
>>
>> Cooked in a record two hours. I hadda saute the onions and garlic
>> done in order to not add 'em raw. And Jill is right. They're kind of
>> a mealy bean. I bet I could pressure cook 'em without making them
>> gummy. I even hadda mash some up fer bean gravy, they not giving up
>> much of their own.

> I always take out a cup or two with some liquid, use the power stick on
> them, and return to the pot. Blackeyed peas always cook fast. Couple TBS
> of cream added at that point is always good too.
>
> Cheri

I'd like to know what herbs or seasonings would be good and I'd probably
add some beef broth to simmer the beans in. I like hot sauce, sure, but
in this case it sounds like it's covering up for a lack of flavour.
That's pretty much how I feel about black eyed peas. They're always
lacking something.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/24/2012 2:57 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Next time.
>>>
>>> Danged iffin these beans didn't cook up faster'n a batch of bottled
>>> moonshine disappears after word gets out.
>>>
>>> Cooked in a record two hours. I hadda saute the onions and garlic
>>> done in order to not add 'em raw. And Jill is right. They're kind of
>>> a mealy bean. I bet I could pressure cook 'em without making them
>>> gummy. I even hadda mash some up fer bean gravy, they not giving up
>>> much of their own.

>> I always take out a cup or two with some liquid, use the power stick on
>> them, and return to the pot. Blackeyed peas always cook fast. Couple TBS
>> of cream added at that point is always good too.
>>
>> Cheri

> I'd like to know what herbs or seasonings would be good and I'd probably
> add some beef broth to simmer the beans in. I like hot sauce, sure, but
> in this case it sounds like it's covering up for a lack of flavour. That's
> pretty much how I feel about black eyed peas. They're always lacking
> something.
>
> Jill

Actually, they're some of my favorite things with a very distinctive
flavor...but I only eat them a couple of times a year. I don't use hot
sauce, just some pepper flakes during cooking. They're definitely better the
second or third day too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-25, Cheri > wrote:

> Actually, they're some of my favorite things with a very distinctive
> flavor...

I agree, wholeheartedly. BEPs are one of the few beans that do not
have a generic flavor. As Shelly said, most folks couldn't tell the
diff between a northern and a pinto, once cooked. Well, there can be
no doubt about a BEP! Absolutely nothng tastes like a BEP. It's one
of the most unique flavor profiles in fooddom.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2012 9:58 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-25, Cheri > wrote:
>
>> Actually, they're some of my favorite things with a very distinctive
>> flavor...

> I agree, wholeheartedly. BEPs are one of the few beans that do not
> have a generic flavor. As Shelly said, most folks couldn't tell the
> diff between a northern and a pinto, once cooked. Well, there can be
> no doubt about a BEP! Absolutely nothng tastes like a BEP. It's one
> of the most unique flavor profiles in fooddom.
>
> nb

What did you add (other than hot sauce) to flavour the BEP's? Pepper
flakes? (I'm not sure I'm supposed to eat them.) Upthread you mentioned
some herb, sorry, too lazy to look. Did you add anything else to them?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-25, jmcquown > wrote:

> What did you add (other than hot sauce) to flavour the BEP's? Pepper
> flakes? (I'm not sure I'm supposed to eat them.) Upthread you mentioned
> some herb, sorry, too lazy to look. Did you add anything else to them?

Naw. Jes onions, garlic, and salt ....and the smoked shanks. I
waited too long to add anything else before they were done. Still,
they taste great, this morning.

I'm guessing my next batch will be lrg lima beans. I was surprised to
discover our local mkt only carries baby lima beans. Usually the
other way around. But, I'll get some lrg limas at WW, later this
week. Lima/butter beans are very subtley flavored. I never add
anything other than a hock, onions, garlic, and S&P. Plus, need more
Fritos.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2012 10:35 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> What did you add (other than hot sauce) to flavour the BEP's? Pepper
>> flakes? (I'm not sure I'm supposed to eat them.) Upthread you mentioned
>> some herb, sorry, too lazy to look. Did you add anything else to them?

> Naw. Jes onions, garlic, and salt ....and the smoked shanks. I
> waited too long to add anything else before they were done. Still,
> they taste great, this morning.
>
> I'm guessing my next batch will be lrg lima beans. I was surprised to
> discover our local mkt only carries baby lima beans. Usually the
> other way around. But, I'll get some lrg limas at WW, later this
> week. Lima/butter beans are very subtley flavored. I never add
> anything other than a hock, onions, garlic, and S&P. Plus, need more
> Fritos.
>
> nb

I have a bag of large dried limas in the pantry. Maybe I'll put smoked
ham hocks on the shopping list. Or I could just use some smoked sausage

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/11/2012 9:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>'m sure you can find some recipes that will do well by that ham hock
>>> with some "gravy" to go along with the peas and probably don't even call
>>> for rice. I just don't buy blackeyed peas anymore. Good luck! (Heh,
>>> they never brought me luck.)
>>>

>> I don't know if there is any hope for some of those legumes. I had a
>> lot of pork and beans when I was a kid, always canned, and was never
>> crazy about them, though most people seemed to like them more than I
>> did. Since so many other home made foods were better than canned I
>> figured that I should try making them. The beans were cheap, but by the
>> time I added all other ingredients the cost of making them had risen
>> considerably, and it took a long time. I was looking forward to trying
>> real pork and beans from scratch. Sadly, they were not very good. In
>> fact, I think the canned ones were better. Come to think of it, the
>> best pork and beans I ever had was a combination of canned and home made.
>>

> Dave, I'm not sure if what you call canned pork and beans is what I call
> canned pork and beans. The ones I remember (and never liked) were
> probably made by Heinz or Bush's. They were just shy of being tomatoey
> and sweet and had some sort of diced "pork" in them. <shudder> They're
> nothing like black eyed peas cooked with a ham hock and good seasonings

Yep, that the the pork and beans I was referring to. I realize that
black eyed peas are different, but it is my observation about legumes in
general. I never had much luck with them. I make pretty good hummus and
French Canadian pea soup, but that's about it. Lintels have been
especially disappointing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-11-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> What did you add (other than hot sauce) to flavour the BEP's? Pepper
>> flakes? (I'm not sure I'm supposed to eat them.) Upthread you mentioned
>> some herb, sorry, too lazy to look. Did you add anything else to them?

> Naw. Jes onions, garlic, and salt ....and the smoked shanks. I
> waited too long to add anything else before they were done. Still,
> they taste great, this morning.
>
> I'm guessing my next batch will be lrg lima beans. I was surprised to
> discover our local mkt only carries baby lima beans. Usually the
> other way around. But, I'll get some lrg limas at WW, later this
> week. Lima/butter beans are very subtley flavored. I never add
> anything other than a hock, onions, garlic, and S&P. Plus, need more
> Fritos.
>
> nb

I sometimes make plain canned BEP with onions and lots of spices. I often
buy Margaraet Holmes BEP, which includes tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos.

Got to really love canned butter beans. Most have some kind of sauce,
including Margaret Holmes version.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Enough of this Thanksgiving Day nonsense. Let's get back to real
> Winter cooking.
>
> I've taken to having some sorta beans n' hocks on hand at all times.
> Having Red Bean'd it to death for the last 3 wks, I'm gonna shift
> gears to black eyed peas. Natch, I have the requisite hock, but what
> else, besides some garlic and an onion? And no! ...I don't want yer
> recipe fer freakin' corn bread! :\

First, don't take for granted that a ham hock is the best thing to
accompany black-eyed peas. For New Year's Day 2011 I cooked black-eyed
peas with turmeric and butter, and served them with braised lamb shanks:
I think the earthy flavor of the black-eyed peas goes a *lot* better
with lamb than with pork.

Second, if you're starting from dried black-eyed peas, you might
consider chaura na poora, and Indian black-eyed pea pancake. They're a
fantastic nosh. I made them for a dinner party earlier this year; they
were served with sour cream and caviar as if they were blini -- but
they've got way more flavor than blini. I posted the recipe here in 2009:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...df6f6e7c45cb25

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-26, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> consider chaura na poora, and Indian black-eyed pea pancake. They're a
> fantastic nosh.

Never heard of 'em. OTOH, makes sense, as BEPs are rather mealy. In
this thread I've heard BEPs referenced to both chick peas and lentils.
While I've never been a fan of lentils, I can see the relation. The
texture of BEPs is very lentil-like. I don't know if I'll ever get
around to making yer pancakes, but I saved the recipe, it being rather
intriguing. Thnx for the FYI.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2012 7:43 PM, gregz wrote:
> Got to really love canned butter beans. Most have some kind of sauce,
> including Margaret Holmes version.
>
> Greg

I buy canned Margaret Holmes butter beans from time to time. They're
very nicely seasoned and go well with a nice slice of hot buttered
cornbread

Boli, aka bolivar (RIP Phil Walker) and I used to tease each other about
the difference between limas and butter beans. Also white vs. yellow
cornmeal. I miss him. He was a good guy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> the difference between limas and butter beans.

There is no difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Limas vs. Butter beans (WAS: Black Eyed Peas)

On 11/26/2012 11:01 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> the difference between limas and butter beans.

> There is no difference.

Oh, you're going to take up where boli left off? <G> Go for it! Of
course there is a difference! Butter beans are tan or yellow. Sometimes
speckled. (Dried, frozen or canned, doesn't matter, there is a difference.)

Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
> beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
> different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.

This from a CA native, raised in Thailand, transplant? My born in
Alabama, raised in a shotgun shack, soul-food oozin', ex girlfriend
says any flat bean that goes into a pot of water with an onion, hock,
and garlic becomes "butterbeans". Who am I to argue?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:27:27 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> First, don't take for granted that a ham hock is the best thing to
> accompany black-eyed peas. For New Year's Day 2011 I cooked black-eyed
> peas with turmeric and butter, and served them with braised lamb shanks:
> I think the earthy flavor of the black-eyed peas goes a *lot* better
> with lamb than with pork.

What a great idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:15:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/26/2012 11:01 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> the difference between limas and butter beans.

>> There is no difference.
>>

>Oh, you're going to take up where boli left off? <G> Go for it! Of
>course there is a difference! Butter beans are tan or yellow. Sometimes
>speckled. (Dried, frozen or canned, doesn't matter, there is a difference.)
>
>Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
>beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
>different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.
>
>Jill

Butter beans is just southern speak for lima beans, they are one in
the same. Baby limas are from a whole nother plant, they are not
immature limas. Speckles mean nothing on beans, most every kind of
bean is grown with a speckled version, typically called calico,
carnival, etc. The various hues are strictly a result of different
soils and weather conditions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2012 11:50 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
>> beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
>> different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.

> This from a CA native, raised in Thailand, transplant? My born in
> Alabama, raised in a shotgun shack, soul-food oozin', ex girlfriend
> says any flat bean that goes into a pot of water with an onion, hock,
> and garlic becomes "butterbeans". Who am I to argue?
>
> nb

*Am* I a CA native? I was born there, sure. I lived there again as a
kid. I remember more about living in Virginia (twice) than I do about
California. But I'm not arguing

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:42:28 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2012 16:01:46 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> the difference between limas and butter beans.

> >There is no difference.

> Thank you.
>
> Butterbeans, where I grew up in VA, were always small baby lima beans.

Obviously there's a big difference at least in texture, or they
wouldn't have different names. At least I know now that they are
another name for *baby* limas... something I have liked for a long
time. Still not a fan of the big ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2012 12:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:15:14 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> There is no difference.
>>>

>> Oh, you're going to take up where boli left off? <G> Go for it! Of
>> course there is a difference! Butter beans are tan or yellow. Sometimes
>> speckled. (Dried, frozen or canned, doesn't matter, there is a difference.)
>>
>> Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
>> beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
>> different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.
>>
>> Jill

> Butter beans is just southern speak for lima beans, they are one in
> the same. Baby limas are from a whole nother plant, they are not
> immature limas. Speckles mean nothing on beans, most every kind of
> bean is grown with a speckled version, typically called calico,
> carnival, etc. The various hues are strictly a result of different
> soils and weather conditions.

So you're saying soil and weather conditions couldn't have any affect on
the resulting beans? Brown or yellow vs. green? Big, small? What
about fertilizer?

Whatever! I never did like baby limas. Those big frozen green
Fordhooks are great. Canned "butter beans" are different in texture.
They may well be lima beans but they do call them something else when
they can them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2012 1:42 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2012 16:01:46 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> the difference between limas and butter beans.

>> There is no difference.

> Thank you.
>
> Butterbeans, where I grew up in VA, were always small baby lima beans.
> Christine

Here we go! <g> The canned butter beans I get (yes, I buy canned butter
beans) are tan/yellow and very large. The small limas (which I don't
care for and don't buy) are tiny.

The frozen limas I like are large Fordhook limas. They're definitely
green. I've seen, but never bought, frozen speckled limas. They appear
to be smaller based on the picture on the package.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 1:42 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> There is no difference.

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Butterbeans, where I grew up in VA, were always small baby lima beans.
>> Christine
>>

> Here we go! <g> The canned butter beans I get (yes, I buy canned butter
> beans) are tan/yellow and very large. The small limas (which I don't
> care for and don't buy) are tiny.
>
> The frozen limas I like are large Fordhook limas. They're definitely
> green. I've seen, but never bought, frozen speckled limas. They appear
> to be smaller based on the picture on the package.
>
> Jill

They are large. Great for a soup too.

http://www.directgardening.com/detai...ProductID=6026

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 11:01 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-11-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> the difference between limas and butter beans.

>> There is no difference.
>>

> Oh, you're going to take up where boli left off? <G> Go for it! Of
> course there is a difference! Butter beans are tan or yellow. Sometimes
> speckled. (Dried, frozen or canned, doesn't matter, there is a difference.)
>
> Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima beans
> aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as different
> types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.
>
> Jill

Repeat..

http://www.directgardening.com/detai...ProductID=6026

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:25:24 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> The frozen limas I like are large Fordhook limas. They're definitely
> green.

I tried those once because you always talk about them and for me, they
were a definite "meh".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:13:57 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/26/2012 12:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:15:14 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh, you're going to take up where boli left off? <G> Go for it! Of
>>> course there is a difference! Butter beans are tan or yellow. Sometimes
>>> speckled. (Dried, frozen or canned, doesn't matter, there is a difference.)
>>>
>>> Lima beans are green. Small baby limas, or large (Fordhook). Lima
>>> beans aren't yellow or brown. There is a reason they are sold as
>>> different types of beans. They have a slightly different texture, too.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Butter beans is just southern speak for lima beans, they are one in
>> the same. Baby limas are from a whole nother plant, they are not
>> immature limas. Speckles mean nothing on beans, most every kind of
>> bean is grown with a speckled version, typically called calico,
>> carnival, etc. **The various hues are strictly a result of different
>> soils and weather conditions.**
>>

>So you're saying soil and weather conditions couldn't have any affect on
>the resulting beans? Brown or yellow vs. green? Big, small? What
>about fertilizer?

Try reading my last sentence again.
And fertilizer is part of soil condition.

>Whatever! I never did like baby limas. Those big frozen green
>Fordhooks are great. Canned "butter beans" are different in texture.
>They may well be lima beans but they do call them something else when
>they can them.

Has nothing to do with canning, has all to do with where limas are
marketed... in the south and midland US lima beans are called butter
beans. It's like carbonated soft drinks, they go by different names
in different locations; soda, tonic, coke, etc. In the UK a butter
bean is a dried lima bean.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/butter%20bean