Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

Default Black Eyed Peas

Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
So - Do you?

How do you prepare them.

Fresh?
Dried?
Fresh Frozen?
Canned?

I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some more
herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Dimitri wrote:

> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?

Yes (usually.) To remember my superstitious Great Aunt Mary.

> How do you prepare them.
>
> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?

Usually canned "Baby Field Peas with Snaps", served with cornbread. I
have a bag of dried BEP's in the cupboard that I bought for some reason
(several years ago IIRC), so I'm thinking about soaking and canning
those on Saturday just to see how it works and then opening a jar for
lunch Sunday.

I also have a whole ham (unexpectedly) that I need to do something with.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
tsr3

My favorite way of fixing black eyed peas is to use them in a dish
called Hoppin John (which is basically black eyed peas cooked with
bacon, onion and rice). I then make a topping of chopped red onion,
cucumber and tomato mixed with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, and pour that
over the hoppin john.

Serve with corn bread.

Good stuff!!--r3

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:27:33 GMT, "Dimitri"
> replied:
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?

It's New Year's Eve and yes. It's to show that the coming new year
can't get any worse!

> How do you prepare them.
> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?

I've had fresh, frozen, and canned. I've found that frozen and
canned are the easiest to prepare. Fresh offer the most flavor. We
always simmer them with bacon fat, onion, and a minor pinch of
crushed peppers.

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion
> a bay leaf, some more herbs and a little crushed red
> pepper flakes.

Where's your bacon fat, man?! Y'all need bacon fat in that
ingredient list!

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?
>
> How do you prepare them.
>

> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
>

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some
> more
> herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
>

> Dimitri

I don't. ;-P

Can't stand the damned things!

Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> replied:
>Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!

You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
The Ranger > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > replied:
> >Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!

> You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!
>
> The Ranger

:-P You, you Lima bean lover you! ;-P

I'll bet you like BEETS too!!!!!!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

wrote:

>Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
>So - Do you?

Nope. Can't stand the things.

In my family, it's sausage links, olives, and champagne (sparkling
cider).

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joe Cilinceon

Dimitri wrote:
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?
>
> How do you prepare them.
>

> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
>

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf,
> some more herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
>

> Dimitri

Marinated Blackeye Peas
Makes 4 servings
1 can (15.8 ounces) Blackeye Peas, rinsed and drained
1 chopped red bell pepper (can be roasted type)
1 rib celery, chopped
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon salad oil
1 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (Miracle Whip my choice)
1 teaspoon mustard (dark)
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper (or other chili pepper of choice)
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne pepper
1 small can of Diced tomatos with green chilis
1 or 2 drops Tabasco to taste

Drain Blackeye Peas and diced tomatos. Add chopped celery, red bell pepper,
jalapeno and onion. Combine oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and cayenne.
Mix well. Pour over peas. Stir gently. Allow to chill in refrigerator
several hours or overnight. Mix carefully. Serve as a relish with meats,
or garnish with lettuce and a spoonful of mayonnaise and serve as a salad. I
also like it over yellow rice.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dimitri wrote:

> So - Do you?

Yes, I do!

> How do you prepare them.
>
> Fresh?

Simmered with ham and turmeric

> Dried?

Soaked, rubbed in a towel to remove the skins, put into a food processor
with cilantro, onion, chile-garlic paste and spices, then shaped into
patties and pan-fried.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
serene > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:27:33 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
> >Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> >So - Do you?

> Nope. Can't stand the things.
>
> In my family, it's sausage links, olives, and champagne (sparkling
> cider).
>
> serene

Spumante Champagne and Caviar coated Cream Cheese logs. :-d
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > So - Do you?

> Yes, I do!
>

> > How do you prepare them.
> >
> > Fresh?

> Simmered with ham and turmeric
>

> > Dried?

> Soaked, rubbed in a towel to remove the skins, put into a food processor
> with cilantro, onion, chile-garlic paste and spices, then shaped into
> patties and pan-fried.
>

> Bob

That actually sounds Edible... except I'd substitute Basil for the
Cilantro. ;-)

Soap chips anyone? (here we go again...... <lol>)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?

Indeedie I do. Every year.

> How do you prepare them.
>
> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
>

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some

more
> herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
>

> Dimitri

I eat black eyed peas frequently. Normally I use the canned ones. For New
Year Luck I use dried in a similar way as you have above. But I occasionally
serve them as follows below.

Charlie

BLACK-EYED PEAS, RICE AND PEPPERONI

Source: unknown, ca 1970s

2 tbs. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
20 oz. frozen black-eyed peas
1 cup long-grained rice
2 cans condensed chicken broth (10.75 oz. each)
1 lb. pepperoni
salt to taste

In a large skillet, melt butter. Fry chopped onions until wilted, about 2
minutes. Add black-eyed peas and rice. Stir well.

Pour chicken broth over mixture, stir to blend and simmer, covered, 20 to 25
minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and peas and rice are tender,
stirring occasionally.

Cut pepperoni into 1/4-inch thick slices and add to skillet along with salt.
Cover and heat 5 minutes longer. Serves 4 to 6.

Note: I use low sodium, low fat chicken broth nowadays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?
>
> Dimitri

Nope. Black eyed peas are one legume for which I've never developed a
fondness. No matter if they are fresh, frozen or from canned, they always
seem to have an oddly "dry" texture to them I find distasteful.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:32:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> replied:
> In article >, The Ranger > wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet > replied:
> > > Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!
> > >

> > You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!
> >

> :-P You, you Lima bean lover you! ;-P
>
> I'll bet you like BEETS too!!!!!!

I do indeed! (My finger didn't get lodged 'tween keys.) <G>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:19:17 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> replied:
[snip]
> That actually sounds Edible... except I'd substitute Basil for the
> Cilantro. ;-)
>
>Soap chips anyone? (here we go again...... <lol>)

Man! First lima beans, then beets, now cilantro! I'd spoon-feed
you a mash of all three just to see you implode! <EG>

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:19:47 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> replied:
[snip]
> I eat black eyed peas frequently.

[snip]

There's gotta be a case o' Guinness that allows you to do this...
Or are you hating life that much? <VEG>

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Dimitri wrote:
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?
>
> How do you prepare them.
>

> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
>

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some more
> herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.

I prepare them from dried, simmered in chicken stock. I usually make
them for hoppin' john ( got all the ham from Christmas chopped up and in
the freezer to use for that )

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:43:34 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some more
> > herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
> >

> I prepare them from dried, simmered in chicken stock. I usually make
> them for hoppin' john ( got all the ham from Christmas chopped up and in
> the freezer to use for that )

I've always wanted to make hoppin' john because I LOVE black eyed
peas. Is it a stand alone dish, side dish or what? What else do you
usually serve it with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:43:34 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:
>> >
>> > I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf, some more
>> > herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
>> >

>> I prepare them from dried, simmered in chicken stock. I usually make
>> them for hoppin' john ( got all the ham from Christmas chopped up and in
>> the freezer to use for that )

> I've always wanted to make hoppin' john because I LOVE black eyed
> peas. Is it a stand alone dish, side dish or what? What else do you
> usually serve it with?

We eat it as a main dish, with a green salad, usually. (the first time I
made it, Rob said :"ooh! fancy rice and beans!" )I don't know what other
people do I made it with procciuto once and it was very very good.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

sf > wrote in
:

> I LOVE black eyed
> peas.

So do I. Their album Elefunk is quite good and that Fergie...yum yum
(ObFood) >:->

--

"Et nunc reges intelligite erudmini, qui judicatis terram."

"Rancor is an outpouring of a feeling of inferiority."

Jose Ortega Y Gasset
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
The Ranger > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:32:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > replied:
> > In article >, The Ranger
> > > wrote:
> > > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > > >
> > > You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!
> > >

> > :-P You, you Lima bean lover you! ;-P
> >
> > I'll bet you like BEETS too!!!!!!

> I do indeed! (My finger didn't get lodged 'tween keys.) <G>
>
> The Ranger

;-D
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
The Ranger > wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:19:17 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > replied:
> [snip]
> > That actually sounds Edible... except I'd substitute Basil for the
> > Cilantro. ;-)
> >
> >Soap chips anyone? (here we go again...... <lol>)

> Man! First lima beans, then beets, now cilantro! I'd spoon-feed
> you a mash of all three just to see you implode! <EG>
>
> The Ranger

<lol!>

Ralphing all the way......
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

sf wrote:

> I've always wanted to make hoppin' john because I LOVE black eyed
> peas. Is it a stand alone dish, side dish or what? What else do you
> usually serve it with?

Hoppin' John is substantial enough to be a main dish. For New Year's Day I
plan to have it with cornbread, collard greens, and a tossed salad.

It can also serve as a side dish alongside grilled protein-of-choice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 30 Dec 2005 00:51:07 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > I've always wanted to make hoppin' john because I LOVE black eyed
> > peas. Is it a stand alone dish, side dish or what? What else do you
> > usually serve it with?

> Hoppin' John is substantial enough to be a main dish. For New Year's Day I
> plan to have it with cornbread, collard greens, and a tossed salad.
>
> It can also serve as a side dish alongside grilled protein-of-choice.

Thanks Bob and Sareah

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
t...
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
> So - Do you?
>
> How do you prepare them.
>

> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
>

> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a
> bay leaf, some more herbs and a little crushed red pepper
> flakes.
>

> Dimitri

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Black Eyed Pea Soup

Recipe By: Helen Peagram
Serving Size: 5
Cuisine: Canadian
Main Ingredient:
Categories: PRESSURE, Soups

-= Ingredients =-
450 grams Black eyed peas
1 ea water
1 large Onion
1 large Smoked ham hock
1 ea salt ; to taste
1 ea pepper ; to taste
1 ea Tomato paste ; to taste
1 ea Bay leaf
1/2 cup Barley

-= Instructions =-
Put peas in a very large stock pot (I use a large pressure
cooker and cover with water and add ham hock, onion, garlic
and bay leaf. Bring to boil and simmer a few hours. It took
about 3 for me. Don't cover. Remove ham hock when beans
are tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste adding
salt, pepper and tomato paste. Add barley. Strip the meat
off the ham hock, discarding fat and bones. Cut into small
pieces and return to the pot with soup. Heat up to boil and
serve. Delicious! Recipe by Helen Peagram

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > replied:
>>Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!

> You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!
>
> The Ranger

ROFLMHO!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> The Ranger > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:07:36 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > replied:
>> >Only thing worse is Lima beans IMHO!

>> You. You. You poopoo-peepee head! That's not true!
>>
>> The Ranger

> :-P You, you Lima bean lover you! ;-P
>
> I'll bet you like BEETS too!!!!!!
> --
> Om.

Yum! and the tops too!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

MoM wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>>
>>I'll bet you like BEETS too!!!!!!
>>--
>>Om.

> Yum! and the tops too!
>
> MoM

Well, of course the tops; that's the edible part. The roots are just
for throwing at passing cars or scaring small children. (so few people
seem to understand that...)

Try boiling a few beetroots whole -- outside so you don't stink up the
house. Do not peel, do not trim the leaf stems too short (leave about 1
inch long), and don't trim off that nasty little rat-tail of a root.
When they are soft, allow to cool. Then chunk one at the next
light-colored car that drives by. They make a very satisfying red
*SPLAT* when they hit. HTH ;-)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Gifford

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:19:47 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > replied:
> [snip]
> > I eat black eyed peas frequently.

> [snip]
>
> There's gotta be a case o' Guinness that allows you to do this...
> Or are you hating life that much? <VEG>
>
> The Ranger

There is Guinness in every equation in which I am factored. Life is life and
always better when seen through a Guinnessy haze. <Braap!>

Charlie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:27:33 GMT, "Dimitri" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day.
>So - Do you?
>
>How do you prepare them.

Late to the thread, but good southerners eat blackeyed peas on New
Year's Day to ensure good luck all year 'round. My family's
traditional one is:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Hoppin' John

vegetables

1 pound bacon, cut in pieces
4 cups peas; black eyed
3 cups rice
1 large onion; chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic; minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 cans chicken broth

Put bacon pieces in large pot with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce
heat and simmer gently 45 mins. Add remaining ingredients except rice
and simmer 20 mins. Add rice and simmer 20 mins. Drain and serve.

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

Celebratorily,
Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

ms. tonya wrote:
> Thu, Dec 29, 2005, 4:27pm (Dimitri)WROTE:
> Are supposed to be good luck if eaten on New Years Day. So - Do you?
> How do you prepare them.
> Fresh?
> Dried?
> Fresh Frozen?
> Canned?
> I like the fresh frozen simmered in ham stock with Onion a bay leaf,
> some more herbs and a little crushed red pepper flakes.
> RESPONSE: We didn't like black eyed peas till we tried the brand Glory
> located in Ohio & sold nation wide.
> Excellent products.

their products are pretty decent across the board, IME