Old 29-12-2008, 10:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

As sent to my daughters, in hopes that I'll get some. ;-)

This is traditionally served at Midnight on New Year's Eve, especially in
the South. Drop a dime in the pot when cooking. Whoever gets the dime is
guaranteed good luck throughout the year!

Let me know which one, if any, you use as a base and the results.

Traditional Black Eyed Peas

1 pound dried black-eyed peas
6 cups water
1/4 pound salt pork, cut into thick slices
1 to 10 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

In a slow cooker, combine black-eyed peas with water; soak overnight
Cook soaked beans in water on High for 2 to 2 hours or until
tender, but not mushy. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Turn to Low; stir in salt pork, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano

Cover & cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Drain & serve. Save broth for another day or reduce some to serve with
peas.

Can also add:

lb Mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1-1/2 med Onions, chopped
4 med Tomatoes, peeled & chopped
2 tsp Coriander
2 tsp Cumin
tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Cayenne
3 Tbs Cilantro, chopped

****************************

Hoppin' John's Black eye peas

Ingredients:
2 cups dried black eyed peas
6 cups water
3/4 cup onion -- chopped
1/4 cup celery -- chopped
2 pounds ham hocks [I like pigs' feet - patitas]
1 cup brown rice -- uncooked
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Soak peas in the 6 cups of water overnight. Transfer soaked peas and
soaking liquid to a large pot and add onions, celery, and ham hocks. Cover
and cook over medium heat until peas are tender but still whole, about 45
minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add rice and pepper, cover,
and simmer for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to
prevent sticking. Remove meat from ham hocks and discard bones and fat
[Huh?]. Mix meat into peas and rice. Serve hot.

**************************************
Gabriela's Spicy Black eye peas

Ingredients:
1 pound dried black-eyed peas
2 quarts water
3 cups water
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles [I like Ortega brand]
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 dried or canned chipotle chile
cup short-grain brown rice
3 large tomatoes -- peeled & chopped
salt to taste

Directions:

Rinse and sort through peas. In a deep 3 to 4 quart pan, bring 2 quarts
of the water to a boil over high heat. Add peas. Let water return to a
boil; then boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover, and
let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rise peas, discarding cooking water [Bah!
Why? Nick].

In a 3 quart or larger slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, green chiles,
cumin, pepper, baking soda, and chipotle chile. Stir in peas; pour in
remaining 3 cups water. Cover and cook at low setting until peas are tender
and to bite (9 to 10 hours). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Remove and discard chipotle chile [Nah! Just chop it up. Nick]; stir in
rice and tomatoes. Increase cooker setting to high; cover and cook until
rice is tender to bite (45 to 55 more minutes). Stir occasionally to
prevent sticking. Season to taste with salt. Serve in wide shallow bowls.

Happy New Year ! ! ! !

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Old 30-12-2008, 07:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we also
have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut When we lived in Florida there was always Black
eyed peas at the after party meals...along with a breakfast of eggs, grits,
and ham.

Old 30-12-2008, 08:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:42:06 -0700, "Jacquie"
wrote:

We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

Do you make your own sauerkraut?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Old 30-12-2008, 02:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[...]

Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these ingredients
on hand.

Measure out two cups of basmati rice, combine it with 4 cups of water and
microwave it for 20 minutes uncovered, then fluff with a fork and cover it
till you are ready for it. (Note if you are using brown rice, it takes a
lot longer to cook, so adjust your recipe accordingly)

Now while your rice is cooking, get out your large frying pan.

A couple of slices of thick bacon, sliced into smallish squares
One green pepper, chopped
One big onion, chopped
A couple of cloves of garlic, sliced
A few red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne for heat
Salt and Pepper to taste

Fry the bacon till the fat is rendered out and it is crunchy.... reserve the
bacon, then sautee the veggies in the bacon grease till they are nice and
tender (while your rice is cooking).

One can of blackeyed peas, (drained and rinsed), add to the fry pan with the
veggies, add back the bacon bits.

Toss the rice with the veggies and peas and bacon etc. Mix well then cover
till you are ready to serve.

I usually make this dish about a half an hour ahead of when I plan to serve
it, to allow the flavors to blend together before I serve it.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 30-12-2008, 02:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
: We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
: take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
: on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we also
: have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
: Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
: was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
: fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut When we lived in Florida there was always Black
: eyed peas at the after party meals...along with a breakfast of eggs, grits,
: and ham.

Naturally, I don't do pork as it is, clearly, nt kosher, but a wonderful,
quick and dirty dinner is to cook knockwurst or franks inn a pot of
saurkraut to which you add shole carroway seeds. Serve with some mustard
on the side and enjoy, no rolls for the franks(you can cut them into
pieces if you want), but great flavor. Good for weeknights or sudden
company.

Wendy

Old 30-12-2008, 11:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I don't care for caraway seeds...but the knockwurst sounds good When we
have hot dogs we always serve chili and onions and sauerkraut with it. I
don't use buns but with all that other stuff on top who misses the bun..LOL.

Old 31-12-2008, 02:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote: [ . . . ]
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]

Not Sicilian, either.

This is more like it:

"If you're interested in cooking classes, I highly recommend a stay at the
Regaleali winery and classes with Anna Tasca Lanza, a well known Sicillian
cookbook author.

We had an incredible lunch experience in the miniscule beach town of Porto
Paolo at a restaurant on the sand called "Da Vittorio"

Here's what I wrote about it from my journal:
"We sat down and asked for a menu. The waitress explained to us, in
Italian, that there wasn't a menu, just a set lunch. Aware this might be
the case, we said, "bring it on!" Shortly, the plates started arriving at
the table. First was a tomato bruschetta, followed quickly by garlic and
olive oil marinated mushrooms and tiny bay shrimp. Next came snails in a
spicy tomato sauce and grilled, stuffed swordfish. The fifth and final dish
of our antipasti was spadola, a white fish with silvery skin and mild
flavor served with carmelized onions and a sweet and sour sauce. Soon, the
next course arrived, a fruitti di mare pasta filled with clams, mussels,
and shrimp in a garlic and olive oil sauce with a hint of chili flake. The
pasta was a perfect al dente. At this point, we had no idea how much more
food was coming and we were starting to try and pace ourselves. But there
was more to come, and we were next brought a mixed grill fish platter with
wonderful grilled prawns, slightly overcooked swordfish, and a whole
grilled fish called dentesca. The meal was punctuated by not one, but two
desserts; a bowl of sliced fruit and a plate of hot, fried popovers, dusted
with sugar and filled with fresh ricotta and chocolate. In all, the service
was quick and efficient and by the end of our meal the restaurant had
filled up with other customers including a lady who hand-fed her little dog
pieces of fish at the table. We saw no other non-Italian tourists which
made sense given the remote location. When the check came, all of the
above, including a bottle of mineral water and 1/2 carafe of house wine
came to 60 Euro total."

Have a great trip! Sicily is fantastic!"

Old 31-12-2008, 02:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote:

We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork.

Do you make your own sauerkraut?

Easy to do:

Sauerkraut 1

Ingredients

3 to 5 lbs shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons SEA SALT)

Directions

Shred cabbage finely. I use my ceramic Crock Pot insert or you can use a
Clay Pot. Mix cabbage and salt with your hands. Sprinkle salt on the
cabbage as you go. The salt pulls water out of the cabbage and this creates
the brine in which the cabbage can ferment and sour without rotting.
Fermentation will be complete in 10 to 12 days. Cover kraut with a plate or
some other lid that fits snugly inside the crock. Place a clean weight on
the inside . This weight is to force water out of the cabbage and then keep
the cabbage submerged under the brine. Cover the whole thing with a cloth
to keep dust and criters out. Check the kraut every couple of days and Skim
off the surface.Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a
few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. I sometime add
Caraway seeds.

From Philippe:

1 ounce avoirdupois salt to 5 lbs cabbage.

see bookmark "Sauerkraut (French).

Old 31-12-2008, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
[]

Nicky here is my recipe. It is simple and usually I have these
ingredients on hand.

[]

Sounds lazy-good, Ev. Fortunately, I have a house full of slaves to do my
cooking! ;-D

Old 31-12-2008, 02:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote:
Jacquie wrote:

[ . . . ]

We use a lot of cabbage here. I've gotta get someone to make sauerkraut
(and kimchee)!

Old 31-12-2008, 03:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
also have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut

I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.
That supposedly brought wealth and good luck. We bought the type of
sauerkraut sold in flexible bags (from the refrigerated sectionof the
grocery). My mother would rinse the sauerkraut several times, then cook
large quantities of that with lots of port buried in it. She would use pork
chops, pork ribs, and sometimes even some sausage. It would be slow cooked
all day, and the pork would be so tender that it would fall apart as we
scooped it out of the roaster.

MaryL

Old 31-12-2008, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:
"Jacquie" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.

[ . . . ]

That sure sounds good, Mary.

Old 31-12-2008, 05:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

. ..

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
[...]

My BIL used to live in Columbus and my FIL lives up North of there(we don't
keep in touch) My BIL past away last year. You may have heard of the
Brubakers..I hear they are all over PA and Ohio My hubby's family were
Quakers in the early days...then became Brethren. hey have allot of history
but no one thought it important to record it.
We have our dinner on New Years Day since Hubby can't stay up until
midnight..LOL..