Karen

Default Green Bean Casserole

This recipe is a slightly tweaked version of one that was in our coupon
insert a couple of Sundays ago. I haven't made it yet, but this will
definitely be one of our Thanksgiving veggie dishes. It just sounds like
it'd be really good! The Kellogg's web site says the original recipe
contains 23 g. net carbs per serving. My version has about half of that (11
g. net carbs per serving, by my calculations). You can find the original
recipe and nutritional info at http://www.kellogs.com. The main source of
carbs in the original recipe came from the use of boxed corn flake crumbs.
I substituted crushed corn flake cereal, which made a big difference in the
carb count.

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute equivalent (aspartame's sweetness won't
hold up to the heat when this is baked, so it's best to use another kind,
such as Splenda)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 carton (8 oz., or 1 cup) reduced-fat sour cream
2 cans (16 oz. each, or 4 cups) French-style green beans, drained
1/2 cup corn flakes, coarsely crushed
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted

Melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter in medium-size saucepan. Stir in
flour, salt, pepper, sugar, and onion. Stir in sour cream. Cook over low
heat until thickened, stirring occasionally. Fold in green beans. Pour
into 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.

Combine crushed corn flakes with 1 tablespoon of melted margarine or butter
and sprinkle over top.

Bake at 350°F about 30 minutes or until hot.

Yield: About 6 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup
11 net carbs per serving

Enjoy!

Karen
Type 2

Gregory Gadow

Pththththth! No fair, I'm at work and all my recipe books are at home.

Still, it looks pretty good :-) I'm partial to using the canned french fried
onions as a topper, though. Nostalgia and all that.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Priscilla Ballou

I make it almost "normally" -- frozen green beans, cream of mushroom
soup -- but instead of the batter-dipped fried onions, I go to the Asian
market and get a jar of deep fried onions. They're just fried onions,
no batter, so they are much lower carb.

Priscilla
Karen

"Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message
> Pththththth! No fair, I'm at work and all my recipe books are at home.
>
> Still, it looks pretty good :-) I'm partial to using the canned french

fried
> onions as a topper, though. Nostalgia and all that.
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

LOL! All's fair in love and low-carb... :-)

I like your topping idea - it really would be closer to the traditional
green bean casserole.

I hope you're still planning on posting your version of a green bean
casserole...we need all the help we can get in expanding our recipe
repertoire without expanding our derrieres, you know! hee hee

Karen

Gregory Gadow

Karen wrote:

> "Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message
> > Pththththth! No fair, I'm at work and all my recipe books are at home.
> >
> > Still, it looks pretty good :-) I'm partial to using the canned french

> fried
> > onions as a topper, though. Nostalgia and all that.
> > --
> > Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> > "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> > -- Benjamin Franklin

> LOL! All's fair in love and low-carb... :-)
>
> I like your topping idea - it really would be closer to the traditional
> green bean casserole.
>
> I hope you're still planning on posting your version of a green bean
> casserole...we need all the help we can get in expanding our recipe
> repertoire without expanding our derrieres, you know! hee hee

I'm already doing my part with the weekly menu. I hope to have something
worked out in time for a "Holiday Dinner" menu, filled with
diabetic-friendly versions of old classics.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Karen

"Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message
> I'm already doing my part with the weekly menu. I hope to have something
> worked out in time for a "Holiday Dinner" menu, filled with
> diabetic-friendly versions of old classics.
> --
> Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

> "If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

Gregory, I really appreciate your diabetic menu efforts. I'm especially
interested, not only for myself, but because there will be two other Type 2
diabetics at our Thanksgiving dinner table. I'm in control of my diabetes;
the other two are not in control of theirs, unfortunately (denial...big
time!) So I'm planning a relatively low-carb dinner to show them that it is
indeed possible for diabetics to eat well without sacrificing flavor. OK,
so we're not having mince pie, but my cheesecake will knock their socks off!
:-)

Karen
Type 2

Jmmbear

In article >, Priscilla Ballou
> writes:

>I make it almost "normally" -- frozen green beans, cream of mushroom
>soup -- but instead of the batter-dipped fried onions, I go to the Asian
>market and get a jar of deep fried onions. They're just fried onions,
>no batter, so they are much lower carb.
>
>Priscilla

thanks for the hint about the deep fried onions. Good idea.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Gregory Gadow

Karen wrote:

> "Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message
> > I'm already doing my part with the weekly menu. I hope to have something
> > worked out in time for a "Holiday Dinner" menu, filled with
> > diabetic-friendly versions of old classics.

> Gregory, I really appreciate your diabetic menu efforts. I'm especially
> interested, not only for myself, but because there will be two other Type 2
> diabetics at our Thanksgiving dinner table. I'm in control of my diabetes;
> the other two are not in control of theirs, unfortunately (denial...big
> time!) So I'm planning a relatively low-carb dinner to show them that it is
> indeed possible for diabetics to eat well without sacrificing flavor. OK,
> so we're not having mince pie, but my cheesecake will knock their socks off!
> :-)

I'll dig out a few things before Thanksgiving, but I won't be doing a regular
menu that week.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Jmmbear

In article >, Priscilla Ballou
> writes:

>Look for them in the section for Thai foods, if the store is organized
>geographically. The ones I got are in a shrinkwrapped 3.5 oz plastic
>jar with a red lid. They say they're a product of Thailand, ingredients
>95% red onion, 5% palm oil, less than 1 gram carb per 1 Tablespoon
>serving, 10 servings to the jar. And they're yummy! There's fried
>garlic, too. :-)
>
>For anyone in my neck of the woods, they're in the far right-hand aisle
>near the back of the Super 88 market at Packards' Corner (where Comm.
>Ave. splits off from Brighton Ave.) in Boston. Top shelf, IIRC.
>
>Priscilla

Sounds great.. I have an asian market not too far from me, I will check it out.
Thanks again,
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120

Red and Green Bean Casserole Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2006 05:58 AM
Red and Green Bean Casserole International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2006 03:03 AM
Green Bean Casserole Tim Recipes 0 18-12-2005 04:46 AM
Not Just Any Green Bean Casserole [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2005 03:33 PM
Green Bean Casserole Sandy G Recipes (moderated) 0 17-11-2004 05:53 AM