Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default asian pear ecipe

My brother grows Asian pears and no one seems to like them in his family.
The bunch he gave my mom were eagerly passed on to me.
Asian pears have a crunch like apples and are not the soft juicy pear like
quality one would expect.

I never had them before but found a nice recipe on the Net that proved quite
tasty and I think glycemic friendly for my BIL and others as well.

Also I don't see why one could use regular apples in the salad below or a
mix one pear and one apple !

Enjoy the recipe and the week end

Joan

ASIAN PEAR SALAD

4 cups of mixed greens ( baby greens if possible )
1 head of radicchio
2 medium Asian Pears, diced
1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
1/2 t. Dijon mustard
4 t. olive oil
1/2 t. sugar ( use sugar substitute here ) or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Crumbled Feta cheese (or other type) to taste, low fat variety is fine

Tear the greens and radicchio into bite-sized pieces.
Combine greens and diced pears in a salad bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk vinegar and mustard. Add oil while whisking. Add
salt, pepper, and sugar.
Top salad with crumbled feta.
Drizzle salad dressing on top, to taste.
Note: one may want to double dressing recipe as I like more dressing on a
salad.
Serves 4

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge" > wrote in
message news:lXOIi.16835$No2.11190@trndny07...
> My brother grows Asian pears and no one seems to like them in his family.
> The bunch he gave my mom were eagerly passed on to me.
> Asian pears have a crunch like apples and are not the soft juicy pear like
> quality one would expect.
>
> I never had them before but found a nice recipe on the Net that proved
> quite
> tasty and I think glycemic friendly for my BIL and others as well.
>
> Also I don't see why one could use regular apples in the salad below or a
> mix one pear and one apple !
>

> Enjoy the recipe and the week end
>
> Joan
>

> ASIAN PEAR SALAD
>
> 4 cups of mixed greens ( baby greens if possible )
> 1 head of radicchio
> 2 medium Asian Pears, diced
> 1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
> 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
> 4 t. olive oil
> 1/2 t. sugar ( use sugar substitute here ) or to taste
> Salt and pepper to taste
> Crumbled Feta cheese (or other type) to taste, low fat variety is fine
>
> Tear the greens and radicchio into bite-sized pieces.
> Combine greens and diced pears in a salad bowl.
> In a separate bowl, whisk vinegar and mustard. Add oil while whisking. Add
> salt, pepper, and sugar.
> Top salad with crumbled feta.
> Drizzle salad dressing on top, to taste.
> Note: one may want to double dressing recipe as I like more dressing on a
> salad.
> Serves 4

Here's a link to some more recipes. But they're not all diabetic friendly.

http://www.virginiagoldorchard.com/recipemenu.html

I will sometimes slice one and put it atop a tossed salad. I don't eat them
very often but we do get them on occasion in the organic produce box.