Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's an Asian brown apple pear?

sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
have time to cancel it from my order.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:46:42 PM UTC-8, Cheryl wrote:

> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
>
> have time to cancel it from my order.

Crunchy. More like a watermelon crunch than either an apple or a pear. But no
more juicy than an apple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:46:42 AM UTC+10, Cheryl wrote:
> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> have time to cancel it from my order.

Firm crispy apple texture, milder pear flavour than Euro-pears. If you like crisp mild apples and like pears, you'll probably like it.

I've eaten these more in cooking than as fruit-in-hand. It's a common ingredient in bulgogi, adding sweetness and tenderising the beef. Also common in other Korean dishes, shredded thinly and added on top after cooking (often with other raw ingredients), e.g., on bibimbap. Also standard on yukhwae/yukhwoe (Korean beef tartare).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:46:42 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
>have time to cancel it from my order.

Sounds like what we call a Nashi pear.
If so... crisp and clean tasting, not a lot of real pear flavour, or
flavour in general. Not exactly my favourite pear...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 1:19:39 PM UTC+10, Jeßus wrote:

> Sounds like what we call a Nashi pear.

It's the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:43:34 -0800 (PST), Timo >
wrote:

>On Monday, November 4, 2013 1:19:39 PM UTC+10, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like what we call a Nashi pear.

>It's the same.

Suspected as much...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I have
> time to cancel it from my order.

It's not as mealy as a regular pear. Imagine a cross between an apple and a
pear. I like them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> have time to cancel it from my order.

Never heard of it.

Have you ever tried a red (skinned) pear? It's fantastic!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:38:22 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:46:42 -0500, Cheryl >
>
> wrote:
>

> > sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> > have time to cancel it from my order.

> Never heard of it.

The trees are pretty available throughout NorCal.

http://www.davewilson.com/product-in...ct/pears-asian

Hosui is supposed to taste the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 23:17:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> On Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:38:22 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:46:42 -0500, Cheryl >
> >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> > > have time to cancel it from my order.

> > Never heard of it.
> >

> The trees are pretty available throughout NorCal.

http://www.davewilson.com/product-in...ct/pears-asian

> Hosui is supposed to taste the best.

I don't think of them as being "brown", they are yellow with dark
flecks. Bosc is "brown", but it's not crispy like an apple pear.
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...sualguidepears

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 3:46 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> have time to cancel it from my order.

I think you're gonna love it. I don't recall having a bad one and wish I
could have it more often. The skin is delicate and you don't need to
peel the fruit. We call it a Korean pear over here and the old time
Korean cooks would add it to bulgogi marinade to tenderize the meat.
Most recipes don't use the pear since the meat is better these days. The
ones in the Korean markets are big and beautiful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 8:46 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> have time to cancel it from my order.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to give one a try and buy
more if they're still available and I like them. Sound interesting. I
do love apples, but I'm not normally a pear fan due to the mealy texture.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:45:49 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 11/3/2013 8:46 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
> > sweet? mealy? I'd love a description of the texture and taste so I
> > have time to cancel it from my order.

> Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to give one a try and buy
> more if they're still available and I like them. Sound interesting. I
> do love apples, but I'm not normally a pear fan due to the mealy texture.

Apple pears are okay, but they aren't my favorite. Try a comice
sometime, it's the red one. And if you have a grill pan, try grilling
them to serve with dinner, not as dessert.