Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default A Summer Dessert!

I could not believe how easy and tasty this was. I served it to company
and they were blown away!

I am going to try one with just lime or lemon juice, Splenda and water.
Some of the reference material I read said that if you were worried
about it freezing too hard, to put a teaspoon of vodka into the mix. It
might be needed with a granita that is mostly water.

Cantaloupe Granita

1/4 cup Splenda
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 large cantaloupe -- peeled, seeded and cubed

In a small bowl, mix water and Splenda until completely dissolved. Set
aside. Put a large rectangular baking pan into the freezer to cool.

Add cubed cantaloupe chunks, lemon, juice and zest to a food processor
and puree until smooth. Add Splenda syrup and transfer mixture to a
blender. Blend on "puree" until smooth.

Transfer to the chilled baking pan. Place in the freezer for 30
minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from freezer and scrape with a fork to
break up the crystals. Freeze for 1 1/2 hours, scrape again with a fork
and return to freezer. Transfer to a plastic container for later. If
using later, allow to melt slightly then scrape again with fork and serve.

Makes 6 servings. I calculated around 6 grams of carbs, but please do
your own calculations. I weighed my cantaloupe after peeling and seeding.

NOTES : Serve in chilled martini or similar glasses.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> FTR, you haven't lived til you've eaten cantaloupre or honeydew with
> lime juice, too.

Ever since I was served a wedge of lemon with a slice of cantaloupe in a
Middle-Eastern restaurant in the 60's, I've always put lemon juice on my
melon. I will try it with lime, too. I always have fresh, Mexican key
limes around. They do wonders for fish and chicken breasts!

BTW, the cantaloupe came from the same neighbor who gave me all the
tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers. He's turning under the tomato
plants as the season here is just about done and I got a bunch of green
ones from him that are pickling in garlic, dill, pickling spices and
brine. I made pickles from some of his cukes and got raves from other
Northeastern transplants. Watch out BaTempte!!

This same neighbor has several lime trees and grapefruit trees. Can't
wait until winter when he shares his harvest and I can experiment with
more granita!

I've been spending a lot of time looking for recipes and I'll share the
good ones with you all.

Have a great summer and stay healthy!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Summer Beh Beh Que-ing Bread Basket Barbecue 1 29-04-2011 02:32 PM
the summer's here news General Cooking 0 14-07-2010 06:07 PM
Another easy light summer dessert Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 28-09-2009 04:30 AM
REC: Summer Dessert Find Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] General Cooking 1 05-09-2007 04:13 AM
It's not summer yet, but... (COC) Omelet General Cooking 8 14-05-2007 03:29 PM