Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default A Summer Dessert!

I could not believe how easy and tasty this was. I served it to company
and they were blown away!

I am going to try one with just lime or lemon juice, Splenda and water.
Some of the reference material I read said that if you were worried
about it freezing too hard, to put a teaspoon of vodka into the mix. It
might be needed with a granita that is mostly water.

Cantaloupe Granita

1/4 cup Splenda
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 large cantaloupe -- peeled, seeded and cubed

In a small bowl, mix water and Splenda until completely dissolved. Set
aside. Put a large rectangular baking pan into the freezer to cool.

Add cubed cantaloupe chunks, lemon, juice and zest to a food processor
and puree until smooth. Add Splenda syrup and transfer mixture to a
blender. Blend on "puree" until smooth.

Transfer to the chilled baking pan. Place in the freezer for 30
minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from freezer and scrape with a fork to
break up the crystals. Freeze for 1 1/2 hours, scrape again with a fork
and return to freezer. Transfer to a plastic container for later. If
using later, allow to melt slightly then scrape again with fork and serve.

Makes 6 servings. I calculated around 6 grams of carbs, but please do
your own calculations. I weighed my cantaloupe after peeling and seeding.

NOTES : Serve in chilled martini or similar glasses.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation