Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default gram flour cookies

I just bought a bag of gram flour (chickpea flour) at an Indian grocery. I
made the tollhouse cookie recipe substituting all the flour for gram and
substituting the sugar with 1/3 the amount in Splenda. I add some sugar
free syrup as a substitute for brown sugar. This made a very decent tasting
cookie. I have done the same thing with soy flour but this tastes better.

My bg last night was 98. I ate 2 cookies and measured bg 45 minutes
later--it was 88. Can't complain about those results.

Now to find more uses for gram.

ed

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds quite promising Ed.

Keep us posted about your experiments.

Jennifer

Ed wrote:

> I just bought a bag of gram flour (chickpea flour) at an Indian grocery. I
> made the tollhouse cookie recipe substituting all the flour for gram and
> substituting the sugar with 1/3 the amount in Splenda. I add some sugar
> free syrup as a substitute for brown sugar. This made a very decent tasting
> cookie. I have done the same thing with soy flour but this tastes better.
>
> My bg last night was 98. I ate 2 cookies and measured bg 45 minutes
> later--it was 88. Can't complain about those results.
>
> Now to find more uses for gram.
>
> ed

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:18:04 -0500, "Ed"
<ekirstein*nospammers*catskill.net> wrote:

>Now to find more uses for gram.

I use it for the binding agent in an Indian fritter-like thing called
a Bhajia.

I grate carrots, turnips, onions - whatever's on hand and I can eat -
mix, and season with salt and curry powder. Add enough gram flour so
that walnut-sized balls of the mixture stay together when squeezed; I
guess you need about a Tbs of flour to a pint of veg, depending on
moisture content. They then need frying twice in the oil of your
choice - once to colour the outside and seal the "skin"; the second
time to finish cooking the veg and crisp the skin.

The result is a spicy, tasty, low-carb (but moderately high calorie)
snack. I generally serve 4 or 5 balls with some fishcakes and
coleslaw, plus dip, as a full meal.

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That sounds really good. I'm going to try that one of these first days.

Cheri

Nicky wrote in message ...

>I grate carrots, turnips, onions - whatever's on hand and I can eat -
>mix, and season with salt and curry powder. Add enough gram flour so
>that walnut-sized balls of the mixture stay together when squeezed; I
>guess you need about a Tbs of flour to a pint of veg, depending on
>moisture content. They then need frying twice in the oil of your
>choice - once to colour the outside and seal the "skin"; the second
>time to finish cooking the veg and crisp the skin.
>
>The result is a spicy, tasty, low-carb (but moderately high calorie)
>snack. I generally serve 4 or 5 balls with some fishcakes and
>coleslaw, plus dip, as a full meal.
>
>Nicky.
>T2 DX 05/2004
>A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
>100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try. Do you fry in a deep fryer or just a
frying pan with some oil?
ed

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:18:04 -0500, "Ed"
> <ekirstein*nospammers*catskill.net> wrote:
>
>>Now to find more uses for gram.

> I use it for the binding agent in an Indian fritter-like thing called
> a Bhajia.
>
> I grate carrots, turnips, onions - whatever's on hand and I can eat -
> mix, and season with salt and curry powder. Add enough gram flour so
> that walnut-sized balls of the mixture stay together when squeezed; I
> guess you need about a Tbs of flour to a pint of veg, depending on
> moisture content. They then need frying twice in the oil of your
> choice - once to colour the outside and seal the "skin"; the second
> time to finish cooking the veg and crisp the skin.
>
> The result is a spicy, tasty, low-carb (but moderately high calorie)
> snack. I generally serve 4 or 5 balls with some fishcakes and
> coleslaw, plus dip, as a full meal.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 DX 05/2004
> A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
> 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:55:12 -0500, "Ed"
<ekirstein*nospammers*catskill.net> wrote:

>Thanks, I'm going to give that a try. Do you fry in a deep fryer or just a
>frying pan with some oil?

I tend to use a wok, to get a slightly deep pool of oil without using
too much - but a frying pan would be fine too.

Nicky.
T2 DX 05/2004
A1c 5.5% BMI 25 D&E
100ug Thyroxine