Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chicpea flour Cookies

I thought this recipe might be good for Julie and Angela. Of couse she
would use the margarine and probably omit the egg yolk(which is discussed
in the drections). I have no idea of how it would wokr with an artificial
sweetener, as I have never made it.

Wendy

Persian Chickpea Flour Cookies (Nan-E Nokhochi )
1 cup butter (or margarine)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 cups chickpea flour (toasted recommended by another recipe but i
used regular)
rose water optional
Beat butter & powdered sugar together until creamy.
Add egg yolk & cardamom.
With your hands knead in the chickpea flour until smooth. (i used mixer)
Pinch off tiny pieces of dough about the size of hazelnuts and roll
them into balls between the palms of your hands.
Decorate the tops of the cookies by pricking them with the tines of a
fork or by pressing the back of the tines horizontally onto the
cookies. (can flatten slightly if you wanted for them to look better
later..you can also use cookie cutters here to make shapes, just
press down batter first)
Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a slow oven
(300F) for about 30 minutes (i would check after 15 min). This dough
is very "short" and needs to be well kneeded. For an even "shorter"
dough, omit the egg yolk.

Member

wow this sis is really good for my gram, ...thanks for the recipe
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>I thought this recipe might be good for Julie and Angela. Of couse she
> would use the margarine and probably omit the egg yolk(which is discussed
> in the drections). I have no idea of how it would wokr with an artificial
> sweetener, as I have never made it.
>
> Wendy
>

> Persian Chickpea Flour Cookies (Nan-E Nokhochi )
> 1 cup butter (or margarine)
> 1 cup powdered sugar
> 1 egg yolk
> 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
> 2 cups chickpea flour (toasted recommended by another recipe but i
> used regular)
> rose water optional
> Beat butter & powdered sugar together until creamy.
> Add egg yolk & cardamom.
> With your hands knead in the chickpea flour until smooth. (i used mixer)
> Pinch off tiny pieces of dough about the size of hazelnuts and roll
> them into balls between the palms of your hands.
> Decorate the tops of the cookies by pricking them with the tines of a
> fork or by pressing the back of the tines horizontally onto the
> cookies. (can flatten slightly if you wanted for them to look better
> later..you can also use cookie cutters here to make shapes, just
> press down batter first)
> Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a slow oven
> (300F) for about 30 minutes (i would check after 15 min). This dough
> is very "short" and needs to be well kneeded. For an even "shorter"
> dough, omit the egg yolk.

Thanks! I have saved this. I would probably just make it with sugar,
but... We got snowed in here and were unable to do our Thanksgiving until
today. I felt bad for Angela and told her I would make her a cake using a
wacky cake recipe I found that called for no butter or eggs. Alas, I bake
so little that all of my flour had expired, including the chickpea flour! I
just reordered the bare bones basics which for me are brown rice, sweet rice
and a four flour mix. I will put the chickpea flour on my shopping list for
Sunday. We are due for more snow so need to stock up in case it happens
again. Apparently they are no longer plowing any residential roads at all.

We had two disappointing things tonight that I made from mixes. Pumpkin
bread which rose beautifully and then sank terribly. The toothpick came out
clean. But when I tried to cut into it, it was totally raw save for the
very top. The other was coconut cranberry muffins. They were sticky and
while edible, nobody wanted another. We through them out.

I do still have some allergen free cornbread mix. I made the cornbread the
day before yesterday because I made chicken stew for dinner which Angela
hates. She does love cornbread so I told her I would make that only if she
would eat the stew. She ate some chicken out of it and refused to eat more
than one bite of each vegetable. Well, I tried! Anyway... I saved half of
the bread and winged it to make my own stuffing. It came out very well and
she ate a lot of it. She was rather shocked to see the bag of sauteed
vegetables that I put in it. I always put a lot of carrots, celerly and
onions so it's not as carby. Normally I would have put a lot more veggies,
but being snowed in, I used up all of the onions and celery that I had. The
celery was on sale for 49 cents a bunch but it turned out to have very few
ribs per bunch. And I had an accident with the onion. Somehow as I was
cutting it, I flicked the knife across the cutting surface and most of the
cut up pieces went all over the kitchen. I had to pick them up. I had one
onion left but it was a small one.

The big hit of the meal was my sugar free cranberry salad, which I also had
to wing. The recipe was on my computer and the computer was in the shop.
Somehow I got viruses in it. I don't know how. The computer was actually
fixed by then, but being snowed in, I couldn't get to it. Husband could
walk up there to where the shop was, but I highly doubt he could carry the
heavy processor home by foot. He said he would, but I wouldn't even chance
it given that the sidewalks were really icy. I had trouble getting to the
mailbox yesterday.

Anyway... Thanks for the recipe. I bought rosewater but wasn't sure what I
would use it for. We can make these for Christmas. I always feel bad for
Angela because my mom and my brother always put out all sorts of things that
she can't eat. I always bring at least one thing for her but it is usually
something pre-packaged because my attempts at gluten free baking have been
dismal.

Using almond flour in cookies zxcvbob General Cooking 6 23-12-2013 06:29 PM
Making no flour peanut butter cookies.. ravenlynne[_5_] General Cooking 14 22-12-2010 01:50 AM
gram flour cookies Ed[_2_] Diabetic 5 23-02-2007 08:44 AM
Whole wheat flour in cookies? zxcvbob General Cooking 4 20-09-2005 04:18 PM
Flour for cookies Ceil Wallace Baking 2 29-07-2005 06:56 AM