zxcvbob

Default Whole wheat flour in cookies?

Has anyone tried replacing all the white flour in cookie recipes with
whole wheat flour? How bad did they turn out? :-) Did you have to
reduce the measure of flour a little?

I'm thinking about trying it with peanut butter cookies...

-Bob
Chris

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried replacing all the white flour in cookie recipes with
> whole wheat flour? How bad did they turn out? :-) Did you have to
> reduce the measure of flour a little?
>
> I'm thinking about trying it with peanut butter cookies...

Bob, I use white whole wheat flour for up to half the white flour in
most of recipes...bread, some cookies (choc chip, oatmeal, peanut
butter), some cakes (e.g. an apple walnut cake), pancakes, waffles,
muffins. Some things (brownies, some cakes where cake flour is
necessary, sugar cookies) just don't seem like they'd work well.

I have read that you need to reduce the measure of flour a bit, but I
don't. Things come out just fine, though a tiny bit darker.

White whole wheat flour is whole grain flour made from a different
variety of wheat than the usual whole wheat flour. King Arthur makes
it; I have to buy it at Whole Foods; though my regular supermarket
carries some King Arthur products, they don't carry the white whole
wheat flour.

There is also whole wheat pastry flour, but I haven't experimented with
that.

Kat

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried replacing all the white flour in cookie recipes with
> whole wheat flour? How bad did they turn out? :-) Did you have to
> reduce the measure of flour a little?
>
> I'm thinking about trying it with peanut butter cookies...
>
> -Bob

I did w/ shortbread cookies, big mistake. They turned out hard as bricks
lol

Gabby

"Kat" > wrote in message
. ..

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried replacing all the white flour in cookie recipes with
>> whole wheat flour? How bad did they turn out? :-) Did you have to
>> reduce the measure of flour a little?
>>
>> I'm thinking about trying it with peanut butter cookies...
>>
>> -Bob

> I did w/ shortbread cookies, big mistake. They turned out hard as bricks
> lol

I've not gone 100% whole wheat, but I have used 50% ww in oatmeal cookies &
in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Both recipes make crispy cookies and
both turned out fine -- just a tad darker than usual.

Gabby

zxcvbob

Gabby wrote:

> "Kat" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Has anyone tried replacing all the white flour in cookie recipes with
>>>whole wheat flour? How bad did they turn out? :-) Did you have to
>>>reduce the measure of flour a little?
>>>
>>>I'm thinking about trying it with peanut butter cookies...
>>>
>>>-Bob

>>I did w/ shortbread cookies, big mistake. They turned out hard as bricks
>>lol

> I've not gone 100% whole wheat, but I have used 50% ww in oatmeal cookies &
> in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Both recipes make crispy cookies and
> both turned out fine -- just a tad darker than usual.
>
> Gabby

I made a batch of peanut butter cookies last night with 100% whole wheat
and they turned out great. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cup of flour and
I used just slightly more than 1 cup -- maybe 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. I
think it worked because peanut butter cookies are such a short dough to
begin with and have an assertive flavor. I don't think WW would work
very well in, say, sugar cookies.

-Bob