Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using almond flour in cookies

I want to substitute almond flour for half the wheat flour in a sugar
cookie or shortbread recipe. I don't have a specific recipe in mind
yet, but I want to make jam-filled thumbprint cookies out of it to use
up some of last year's marmalade or the year-before-that's crabapple
jelly. Should I use all-purpose flour for the remainder, or bread
flour? Do cookies depend on at least a *little* bit of gluten to hold
together, or will the egg do that?

I think I want AP flour, but am curious about seeing what bread flour
will do... (doesn't Alton Brown sometimes use bread flour in cookies?)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

>I want to substitute almond flour for half the wheat flour in a sugar
>cookie or shortbread recipe. I don't have a specific recipe in mind
>yet, but I want to make jam-filled thumbprint cookies out of it to use
>up some of last year's marmalade or the year-before-that's crabapple
>jelly.

Fill your cookies with jelly and with marzipan made with your almond
flour.
http://candy.about.com/od/marzipanca...r/Marzipan.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Where did you find the almond flour? Or make your own? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

x-no-archive: yes

On 12/23/2013 11:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Where did you find the almond flour? Or make your own? Thanks.

Bob's Red Mill in stores and oline.
http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...b=bobsBranding

King Arthur Flour online http://search.kingarthurflour.com/baking/Nut-Flours

http://www.bulknuts4you.com/list_cat...OU_Flours.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2013 10:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Where did you find the almond flour? Or make your own? Thanks.

I found it in the freezer; Herself bought a pound last year at Trader
Joe's and never used it. If I didn't have it already I would grind
almonds in a blender, stopping before it turned into butter.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/23/2013 10:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Where did you find the almond flour? Or make your own? Thanks.

Bob's Red Mill. Look near the specialty flours in the baking aisle.

I use it for pie crust and cookies for DH who is diabetic. It makes a
nice macaroon.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:20:51 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Where did you find the almond flour? Or make your own? Thanks.

Trader Joe's sells almond flour, but I'm more inclined to call it
"meal". I think Bob's Red Mill's is ground finer, but I don't need to
use gluten free flour anymore and don't remember for sure.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Where do I buy almond flour(meal)? Kalmia General Cooking 22 28-07-2010 09:45 PM
Almond-Cardamom Cookies rachael [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 13-12-2008 07:50 PM
Cinnamon Almond Cookies WindyCityPrince General Cooking 0 01-12-2008 02:49 PM
Almond Joy Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-07-2006 04:06 PM
Almond Joy Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-06-2005 11:08 AM