Old 07-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Don Wiss

Default Chestnut Roaster?

In my looking around for a chestnut cutter and chestnut knife I came across
a chestnut roaster for $25. This is nothing more than a pottery (called
superstone) bowl with a lid. What advantages are there to using a roaster
versus roasting them in the oven some other way? Picture can be found he
http://www.eatgourmet.com/supchesroas.html

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Dee Randall

I've been roasting chesnuts the past three days - just for treats for the
family. I slash them, put them on a pan in the oven at 450 for about 20
minutes. I'll be darned if I can figure out the purpose of this container
except maybe some people don't want them to dry out as much. But of course,
I thought roasting meant not having a cover on it.

Perhaps it's the same idea as baking bread in a covered cloche - is that
the word? - whatever that does for bread, I've not figured out.

my best,
Dee

Old 09-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Don Wiss

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Dee Randall wrote:

Don Wiss wrote in message
In my looking around for a chestnut cutter and chestnut knife I came across
a chestnut roaster for $25. This is nothing more than a pottery (called
superstone) bowl with a lid. What advantages are there to using a roaster
versus roasting them in the oven some other way? Picture can be found he
http://www.eatgourmet.com/supchesroas.html

I've been roasting chesnuts the past three days - just for treats for the
family. I slash them, put them on a pan in the oven at 450 for about 20
minutes. I'll be darned if I can figure out the purpose of this container
except maybe some people don't want them to dry out as much. But of course,
I thought roasting meant not having a cover on it.

The same item appears on several pages. I wrote to one of them. His reply:
"The earthenware roasters are a perfect vessel for the chestnuts in an
oven or even a microwave. The roaster tends to hold moisture in the
chestnuts better than the open oven."

But then any covered pan would do.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 12:21 AM
Chestnut ideas elaine General Cooking 10 10-01-2005 12:12 AM
Knotted Chestnut Graeme...in London Barbecue 3 03-07-2004 08:55 PM
Chestnut Scorer Don Wiss Cooking Equipment 15 08-12-2003 04:29 PM