Don Wiss

Default Chestnut Scorer

A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor, but
one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?

Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
JasonW

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor,

but
> one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
> the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
> But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
> I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
> roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?
>
> Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

The only references I could find link back to Sur la Table, which doesn't
list it anymore. All other references point to using a knife for scoring.

-JasonW

LIMEYNO1

You might check out some small Italian food stores. Actually we got ours at
a fairly large Ontario supermarket called Fortinos.

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor,

but
> one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
> the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
> But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
> I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
> roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?
>
> Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Peter Aitken

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor,

but
> one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
> the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
> But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
> I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
> roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?
>
> Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

I assume this device is to put a slit in the chestnut skin before simmering
and peeling. Seems like an unnecessary gadget to me - a short-bladed knife
works well. I use a 1" blade on my pocket knife.

--
Peter Aitken

Charles Demas

In article > ,
Peter Aitken > wrote:
>"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor,

>but
>> one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
>> the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
>> But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
>> I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
>> roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?
>>
>> Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

>I assume this device is to put a slit in the chestnut skin before simmering
>and peeling. Seems like an unnecessary gadget to me - a short-bladed knife
>works well. I use a 1" blade on my pocket knife.

It's probably faster and safer for doing large quantities.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Don Wiss

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:37:13 -0500, LIMEYNO1 > wrote:

>You might check out some small Italian food stores. Actually we got ours at
>a fairly large Ontario supermarket called Fortinos.

Since such a tool has to be made in Italy, I was thinking that if I had the
Italian translation of this I could web search on that. Then get a friend
that reads Italian to navigate the site.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:46:50 -0500, Don Wiss >
wrote:

>A few years ago I purchased a chestnut scorer. Designed like a scissor, but
>one blade has a cup, the other a small knife, and when squeezed it scores
>the chestnut. I gave mine to my mother, figuring I'd simply buy another.
>But searching on the web I can't find anyone selling such a thing. I think
>I bought mine from Sur La Table, but all they have now for chestnuts is a
>roasting pan. Anyone know where I can buy one of these?
>
>Thanks, Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Hmmm...tricky gadget...there is a regular chestnut knife for $10:
http://www.chestnutsforsale.com/prod...id=17&catid=29

Of this one for $5:
http://www.chestnutsonline.com/produ...tnut-knife.htm

But your thingee is for sale in Europe, should you care to spend 17
billion shipping it over he
http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/md...e_marrons.html

Boron
Don Wiss

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003, Boron Elgar > wrote:

>Hmmm...tricky gadget...there is a regular chestnut knife for $10:
>http://www.chestnutsforsale.com/prod...id=17&catid=29
>
>Of this one for $5:
>http://www.chestnutsonline.com/produ...tnut-knife.htm

Lots of knives out there. I still have mine someplace. But I do need to buy
one for my mom.

>But your thingee is for sale in Europe, should you care to spend 17
>billion shipping it over he
>http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/md...e_marrons.html

I saw that when looking for knives, but then I couldn't find it again when
I was starting this thread. In dollars it is $23.22 plus $15.70 shipping
for a total of $38.91. A bit more than I spent for the last one!

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
LIMEYNO1

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/rejuv..._15678,00.html

http://www.web109.com/tableware/Ches...ut-Cutter.html

http://www.kitchenandhouseware.com/s...s/r108938.html

This is the one I have
http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Produ...l?categoryId=0

wrote:

> >You might check out some small Italian food stores. Actually we got ours

at
> >a fairly large Ontario supermarket called Fortinos.

> Since such a tool has to be made in Italy, I was thinking that if I had

the
> Italian translation of this I could web search on that. Then get a friend
> that reads Italian to navigate the site.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Michael

"I bought one of the knives others have shown at a William Sonoma store for
five or six dollars. Their stores are just about everywhere now. They
don't list it on their web site however.

John LaBella

I got one (true its plastic) as a freebee when I bought a chestnut roasting
pan (think sheet metal fry pan with holes in it) at a grocery store I think
the whole shooting match was about $6.00

--
The posting email address is not read or received
to contact me email me chefUnderscorejohn at the dash office dash party dot
"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
> >Hmmm...tricky gadget...there is a regular chestnut knife for $10:
> >http://www.chestnutsforsale.com/prod...id=17&catid=29
> >
> >Of this one for $5:
> >http://www.chestnutsonline.com/produ...tnut-knife.htm

> Lots of knives out there. I still have mine someplace. But I do need to

buy
> one for my mom.
>
> >But your thingee is for sale in Europe, should you care to spend 17
> >billion shipping it over he

>http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/md...petit_mat/mat-

entaille_marrons.html

> I saw that when looking for knives, but then I couldn't find it again when
> I was starting this thread. In dollars it is $23.22 plus $15.70 shipping
> for a total of $38.91. A bit more than I spent for the last one!
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

---

Don Wiss

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:26:23 -0500, LIMEYNO1 > wrote:

>http://www.fineliving.com/fine/rejuv..._15678,00.html
>http://www.web109.com/tableware/Ches...ut-Cutter.html
>http://www.kitchenandhouseware.com/s...s/r108938.html

Hey, that's the one I had and gave to my mom. It isn't the greatest. While
in the drawer the rivet holding the blades together fell apart. My dad
hammered it back to together, but I wonder just how long it will stay
together.

Now I see that it is called a chestnut cutter and not a chestnut scorer.
When I searched on chestnut at Sur La Table I didn't find it. All those
pages simply link to Sur La Table. I called them. It is discontinued, but
they do have some available in an alternative warehouse. With shipping it
would be $20. I didn't order it. Yet.

>This is the one I have
>http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Produ...l?categoryId=0

Hard to tell in the picture. Could be nicer. But I have a pan and the UK is
over the pond.

I think it time to head to Zabars and wander around to see what I can find
there.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Don Wiss

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:26:23 -0500, LIMEYNO1 > wrote:

>This is the one I have
>http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Produ...l?categoryId=0

I see they can also be called chestnut splitter. Here's a real simple one,
that looks effective and reliable. (Scroll down a ways.)

http://www.chestnutranch.com/catalog.htm

But no longer available.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Frank Lynch

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:48:30 -0500, in a clarity of expression
resembling Cicero, Don Wiss > wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:26:23 -0500, LIMEYNO1 > wrote:
>
>>This is the one I have
>>http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Produ...l?categoryId=0

>I see they can also be called chestnut splitter. Here's a real simple one,
>that looks effective and reliable. (Scroll down a ways.)
>
>http://www.chestnutranch.com/catalog.htm
>
>But no longer available.

Seems like you're finding everything you can in your web searches...
Have you run across the Playboy cartoon about "roasting nuts by an
open fire"?

Frank Lynch
The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page is at:
http://www.samueljohnson.com/
Don Wiss

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003, Frank Lynch > wrote:

>Seems like you're finding everything you can in your web searches...
>Have you run across the Playboy cartoon about "roasting nuts by an
>open fire"?

No. As my searches always include the word chestnut, and not the word nut.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Michael

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "I bought one of the knives others have shown at a William Sonoma store

for
> five or six dollars. Their stores are just about everywhere now. They
> don't list it on their web site however.

I checked in the Williams Sonoma store in Hanes Mall In Winston Salem
yesterday and the chestnut knife is five dollars.

chestnut cider pie birdbeth Vegetarian cooking 1 01-12-2013 10:35 PM
Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Chestnut dumplings Pandora General Cooking 46 30-07-2005 12:46 AM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 12:21 AM
Chestnut Puree no one General Cooking 3 10-12-2003 01:12 AM