Old 03-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Graeme...in London

Default Knotted Chestnut

We have had some strong winds recently in London which has brought down a
few dead branches from a large horse chestnut tree near my home. I picked up
a nice branch about 2 feet long by about 1 foot wide. I have a question.

Upon splitting the wood up with an axe I noticed that the wood was full of
knots. There seems to be no resin visible but is it still OK to use knotted
wood in the smoker?

Graeme

Old 03-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Dave Bugg

Graeme...in London wrote:

Upon splitting the wood up with an axe I noticed that the wood was
full of knots. There seems to be no resin visible but is it still OK
to use knotted wood in the smoker?

Not a problem, Graeme. Enjoy :-)

Old 03-07-2004, 05:10 PM
bbq

Graeme...in London wrote:
We have had some strong winds recently in London which has brought down a
few dead branches from a large horse chestnut tree near my home. I picked up
a nice branch about 2 feet long by about 1 foot wide. I have a question.

Upon splitting the wood up with an axe I noticed that the wood was full of
knots. There seems to be no resin visible but is it still OK to use knotted
wood in the smoker?

Graeme

Can't answer your question, but will say 'nice score'. I buy all my
smoking wood and I do know the best woods to smoke with is, in this order

#1 hard woods
#2 free wood

Hope it works for you.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 03-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Paracelsus

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:50:02 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

Graeme...in London wrote:

Upon splitting the wood up with an axe I noticed that the wood was
full of knots. There seems to be no resin visible but is it still OK
to use knotted wood in the smoker?

Not a problem, Graeme. Enjoy :-)

Betcha them knots will burn real hot/fast!

chestnut cider pie birdbeth Vegetarian cooking 1 01-12-2013 10:35 PM
Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Chestnut dumplings Pandora General Cooking 46 30-07-2005 12:46 AM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 12:21 AM
Chestnut Puree no one General Cooking 3 10-12-2003 01:12 AM