Jumping Jack Flash

Default Silly ink sponge question

This may sound silly, but...

I can't imagine that y dish sponge, after sleaning food off of plates
remains snitary while sitting in my sink, wainting for the next dirty thing
to clean. I use one of those sponges where you pour the soap into the
handle. What do other people use? Any ideas for a Sev-Safe certified freak,
who doesn't run everything through the dishwasher?

Vox Humana

"Jumping Jack Flash" > wrote in message
> This may sound silly, but...
>
> I can't imagine that y dish sponge, after sleaning food off of plates
> remains snitary while sitting in my sink, wainting for the next dirty

thing
> to clean. I use one of those sponges where you pour the soap into the
> handle. What do other people use? Any ideas for a Sev-Safe certified

freak,
> who doesn't run everything through the dishwasher?

I use a nylon dish brush to scrape and scrub dishes. I do put it in the
dishwasher. You can sanitize your sponges by saturating them with water,
placing on a plate, and heating them in the microwave for about 5 minutes or
until they are boiling hot.

Vox Humana

Jumping Jack Flash > wrote:

> I can't imagine that y dish sponge, after sleaning food off of plates
> remains snitary while sitting in my sink, wainting for the next dirty thing
> to clean. I use one of those sponges where you pour the soap into the
> handle. What do other people use? Any ideas for a Sev-Safe certified freak,
> who doesn't run everything through the dishwasher?

The food safety manual tells me
that something like you describe should be left sitting in a bleach
solution. I don't remember the solution strength off hand, but I'm
sure you can find it on the web somewhere. Any reusable cloth/brush/sponge
that stays wet after use is supposed to stay in a sterilizing solution.
After it's been in there a few minutes it's pretty much
OK to take out to let dry if there is no immediate new use for it.

Of course, with soap being dispensed from inside, it probably
won't support much, if any, bateria growth.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.