Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default dream kitchen

i read and posted a little here in the past. todays query is not just a
fantasey.

our house burnt, we have the oppertunity to rebuild what we want, there
seems to be enough money to put in pretty much what we want if we don't go
mcmansion and get stupid.

we both feel that after the perfect bathroom and energy effecient, and
maintaiance free, the kitchen is the most important room and we want to take
the oppertunity to get what will last and what will serve us hopefully into
our dotage... hopefully a long way off.

so the question is
what is in your dream kitchen? why? have you used it?

what would you refuse to have in your kitchen? why?

what are features you would like but could live without?

Lee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:17:38 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>what is in your dream kitchen? why? have you used it?

1. Two four-burner cooktops -- one induction, one smoothtop electric.

2. Two wall ovens at chest height.

3. Top quality cooktop hoods.

4. Tons of granite counter space.

5. A smallish (up to three feet square) working island in the center
of the work triangle -- not a six-by-eight foot monstrosity for
"socializing".

6. Numerous separate electrical circuits so multiple 1800 watt small
appliances can be used simultaneously, and at least one extra 240 V
branch in addition to those for the ovens and cooktops.

7. Dedicated shallow counter area with plenty of AC power for small
appliances that never need to be moved, like coffee grinder,
breadmaker, ice cream maker, crepe maker, toaster, etc.

8. Sufficient overhead or window pot racks.

9. Knife slots in a customizable and replaceable granite insert in the
granite countertop.

10. Stainless steel countertop for two feet on either side of the
cooktops.

11. Tons of dimmable recessed lighting.

12. Two adjacent full-sized enameled cast iron sinks.

13. Halogen under-counter lighting over all working counter areas.

14. Almost all floor cabinets as drawer space -- only one or two with
doors. Well thought out drawers for prep dishes, most frequently used
bowls, salad spinner, strainers, etc. exactly where needed.

15. Shouldn't have to say this, but dishwasher adjacent to sink. I'm
seeing pictures lately with a range between the sink and dishwasher,
which is just plain stupid.

16. An 8' x 10' walk-in pantry (extra space for large cooking items
and cleaning items, like a broom and dustpan).

17. Counter-depth refrigerator: French doors, bottom freezer, with
external compressor (a la Sub-Zero) for quiet, less heat, and greater
capacity.

18. Elevated counter with stools at periphery for guests.

19. Gel mats on tile floor at all frequent work locations. (I don't
like cork, which would be the only all-in-one flooring solution,
because it's hard to clean.)

There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head.

>what would you refuse to have in your kitchen? why?

1. Overhead microwave/exhaust unit -- they waste headroom, and they're
worse than worthless, especially when one function fails.

2. Toaster oven -- I just don't see their value.

>what are features you would like but could live without?

None. This *is* my *dream kitchen*, right? 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

thanks, very helpful, was thinking about the tile floor, hadn't considered
the matts, Lee
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:17:38 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>what is in your dream kitchen? why? have you used it?

> 1. Two four-burner cooktops -- one induction, one smoothtop electric.
>
> 2. Two wall ovens at chest height.
>
> 3. Top quality cooktop hoods.
>
> 4. Tons of granite counter space.
>
> 5. A smallish (up to three feet square) working island in the center
> of the work triangle -- not a six-by-eight foot monstrosity for
> "socializing".
>
> 6. Numerous separate electrical circuits so multiple 1800 watt small
> appliances can be used simultaneously, and at least one extra 240 V
> branch in addition to those for the ovens and cooktops.
>
> 7. Dedicated shallow counter area with plenty of AC power for small
> appliances that never need to be moved, like coffee grinder,
> breadmaker, ice cream maker, crepe maker, toaster, etc.
>
> 8. Sufficient overhead or window pot racks.
>
> 9. Knife slots in a customizable and replaceable granite insert in the
> granite countertop.
>
> 10. Stainless steel countertop for two feet on either side of the
> cooktops.
>
> 11. Tons of dimmable recessed lighting.
>
> 12. Two adjacent full-sized enameled cast iron sinks.
>
> 13. Halogen under-counter lighting over all working counter areas.
>
> 14. Almost all floor cabinets as drawer space -- only one or two with
> doors. Well thought out drawers for prep dishes, most frequently used
> bowls, salad spinner, strainers, etc. exactly where needed.
>
> 15. Shouldn't have to say this, but dishwasher adjacent to sink. I'm
> seeing pictures lately with a range between the sink and dishwasher,
> which is just plain stupid.
>
> 16. An 8' x 10' walk-in pantry (extra space for large cooking items
> and cleaning items, like a broom and dustpan).
>
> 17. Counter-depth refrigerator: French doors, bottom freezer, with
> external compressor (a la Sub-Zero) for quiet, less heat, and greater
> capacity.
>
> 18. Elevated counter with stools at periphery for guests.
>
> 19. Gel mats on tile floor at all frequent work locations. (I don't
> like cork, which would be the only all-in-one flooring solution,
> because it's hard to clean.)
>
> There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head.
>
>>what would you refuse to have in your kitchen? why?

> 1. Overhead microwave/exhaust unit -- they waste headroom, and they're
> worse than worthless, especially when one function fails.
>
> 2. Toaster oven -- I just don't see their value.
>
>>what are features you would like but could live without?

> None. This *is* my *dream kitchen*, right? 8
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Storrmmee > wrote:
>Don Wiss wrote in message
>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:17:07 -0500, wrote:

>>>4. Tons of granite counter space.

>> I've worked on granite. I've worked on Corian. I'll take Glacier White
>> Corian and I don't care if it doesn't impress the neighbors.

>why do you prefer the other counter top over the granite? Lee

With white Corian I can see where any dirt is. With the dark red granite I
have now I can't see anything.

White Corian and white subway tile backsplashes with undercabinet lighting
creates a bright glowing area to work on.

Granite is hard. You have to gently put down glass items. Simply putting
down metal cutlery make a jangle.

Granite edges chip, especially in front of the dishwasher where it gets hit
when putting things in.

Most granites require sealing. People claim it isn't hard to do. But why
have another chore that must be periodically done? I once had a granite
floor in a kitchen. It was not sealed. If any oil spilled on the floor a
permanent oil spot appeared. I left that place 15 years ago. I bet that
floor has many spots now.

I prefer dark wood cabinets. A dark granite would make everything in the
room dark.

I agree with the suggestion of having something else alongside the range
top. I had been thinking of white Silestone. Maybe stainless steel is
better.

Don <http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm> (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.equipment

thanks, the white would benifit the dh then, since i can't see it he will
have to choose the color as he also does most of the cooking, i do most of
the cleaning so i don't have to cook on a regular basis... i like the idea
of as chore free as possible, one of the things we are building into the
house is as maintainance free as possible, neither of us are spring
chickens, and i figure since we can do it, smaller size, devoting more money
to things like a metal roof, and non paint windows is where we should spend
the money, again, thanks, I never thought of the chipping by the dw,

Lee
"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Storrmmee > wrote:
>>Don Wiss wrote in message

>>> I've worked on granite. I've worked on Corian. I'll take Glacier White
>>> Corian and I don't care if it doesn't impress the neighbors.

>>why do you prefer the other counter top over the granite? Lee

> With white Corian I can see where any dirt is. With the dark red granite I
> have now I can't see anything.
>
> White Corian and white subway tile backsplashes with undercabinet lighting
> creates a bright glowing area to work on.
>
> Granite is hard. You have to gently put down glass items. Simply putting
> down metal cutlery make a jangle.
>
> Granite edges chip, especially in front of the dishwasher where it gets
> hit
> when putting things in.
>
> Most granites require sealing. People claim it isn't hard to do. But why
> have another chore that must be periodically done? I once had a granite
> floor in a kitchen. It was not sealed. If any oil spilled on the floor a
> permanent oil spot appeared. I left that place 15 years ago. I bet that
> floor has many spots now.
>
> I prefer dark wood cabinets. A dark granite would make everything in the
> room dark.
>
> I agree with the suggestion of having something else alongside the range
> top. I had been thinking of white Silestone. Maybe stainless steel is
> better.
>
> Don <http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm> (e-mail at page bottom).

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Storrmmee > wrote:

> I never thought of the chipping by the dw,

It is a known problem and there is a solution. You can put a wood edge on
the counter. I'm not sure just how attractive it is.

If you do go with Corian I like a simple straight edge. In the catalog you
will see all sorts of ogee and ornate edges. Keep it plain and simple.

Don <http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm> (e-mail at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.equipment

thanks, simple is best, Lee
news