Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Electric meat slicer

I'm contemplating buying an electric meat slicer. I don't mind spending a
couple hundred bucks, but of course I don't want to throw money away. Any
recommendations on "best for the bucks"?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I'm contemplating buying an electric meat slicer. I don't mind spending a
> couple hundred bucks, but of course I don't want to throw money away. Any
> recommendations on "best for the bucks"?
>
> Bob

Sorry I can't help. Even Consumer Reports doesn't seem to have any data
for meat slicers. They have plenty of information for knives but
nothing for slicers - go figure ;/

Sky, who'd like to learn, too

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> I'm contemplating buying an electric meat slicer. I don't mind spending a
>> couple hundred bucks, but of course I don't want to throw money away. Any
>> recommendations on "best for the bucks"?
>>
>> Bob

> Sorry I can't help. Even Consumer Reports doesn't seem to have any data
> for meat slicers. They have plenty of information for knives but
> nothing for slicers - go figure ;/
>
> Sky, who'd like to learn, too

Look on e-bay, restaurant equipment store, etc. for a used commercial (like
Hobart) slicer. I don';t know what they go for these days, certainly more
than what you are contemplating. But, then, you would have a real slicer.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>I'm contemplating buying an electric meat slicer. I don't mind spending a
>couple hundred bucks, but of course I don't want to throw money away. Any
>recommendations on "best for the bucks"?

I've bought a couple over the years to use to slice meat before drying for
jerky. The $100 one died after a while. Then I got a $400 (or so) one from
Cabellas. The meat always slides under the blade such that you don't get
the clean slices that you will get with something firm like cheese or
processed meat. And cleanup is a real chore. I haven't used it in years. If
you can get the meat in a partially frozen state it will be firm enough to
slice by hand. Then dry it for long enough and the uneven thickness won't
matter. Now I suppose if you marinate first (I don't) then a partially
frozen state isn't possible.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Don Wiss wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
> >I'm contemplating buying an electric meat slicer. I don't mind spending a
> >couple hundred bucks, but of course I don't want to throw money away. Any
> >recommendations on "best for the bucks"?

> I've bought a couple over the years to use to slice meat before drying for
> jerky. The $100 one died after a while. Then I got a $400 (or so) one from
> Cabellas. The meat always slides under the blade such that you don't get
> the clean slices that you will get with something firm like cheese or
> processed meat. And cleanup is a real chore. I haven't used it in years. If
> you can get the meat in a partially frozen state it will be firm enough to
> slice by hand. Then dry it for long enough and the uneven thickness won't
> matter. Now I suppose if you marinate first (I don't) then a partially
> frozen state isn't possible.

When I make beef jerky, I ask the butcher at the grocery store to
very-thinly slice the meat (from a roast) for me.

Sky, who loves home-made beef jerky!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 23-Apr-2010, "Wallace" > wrote:
>
> > Look on e-bay, restaurant equipment store, etc. for a used commercial
> > (like
> > Hobart) slicer. I don';t know what they go for these days, certainly more
> >
> > than what you are contemplating. But, then, you would have a real slicer.

> eBay is also a good source of used, vintage RIval food slicers. Models
> 1030 and 1101 are sturdy slicers that are much loved by their owners. Those
> that come to market are usually estate items.
>
> If you go this route, make sure the pusher/guard is included; I have seen a
> number of slicers offered on eBay without this safety item. It attaches to
> the food tray and is used to press the food against the blade area,
> protecting your fingers by keeping them separated from the item to be cut by
> a sturdy piece of metal.

To that end, raid local estate sales. I got mine for $12 back in the
90's. Just got the disk blade sharpened, and it is sweet. The disk
turns slower than a commercial unit, but does what it is supposed to.
Also, remember to spray no-stick vegetable spray when you start.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:17:31 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 31-May-2010, jt august > wrote:

>> To that end, raid local estate sales. I got mine for $12 back in the
>> 90's. Just got the disk blade sharpened, and it is sweet. The disk
>> turns slower than a commercial unit, but does what it is supposed to.
>> Also, remember to spray no-stick vegetable spray when you start.

A slower disk is not necessarily bad. I recall a review of a deli on
the food channel that boasted of the ancient Italian meat slicer they
used, and it was hand cranked. Their rationale was that motorized meat
slicers turn their blades fast enough that it tends to melt fat, while
the hand-cranked units don't. Supposedly this makes a difference o the
flavor of the sliced meat.

>from sliding around and scarring countertops. Replacement suction cup feet
>have been unavailable from Rival for a long time; I have found a source for
>excellent replacement rubber cup feet and offer them for sale in sets of
>four. These are new production, therefor the rubber is supple and does a
>great job. In the past 18 months I have sold nearly 100 sets to very happy

A useful tool in the kitchen is that rubberized netting that is sold
in rolls. Useful for lining drawers. Also useful as non-slip mats
under cutting boards, pastry boards, meat grinders, etc. Small squares
make great grippers to remove stubborn jar lids. Available at
specialty stores like Wal-Mart and Target. Two brands are GRIP-Liner
and Wonderliner. The latter is a lighter product; the GRIP liner is
better for the uses I suggest. Sometimes available in hardware stores
for lining the drawers of tool cabinets. Look for DUCK EasyLiner.

Also great as a separator for stacking dishes to avoid chipping. Great
stuff. Cheap and easy to use.

HTH

Alex
Member

I personally use chef's choice and it can do all kinds of slicing. Even electric knives make great slices.

Rival electric slicer manual Cymru Llewes Cooking Equipment 8 10-08-2020 09:30 PM
Electric Food Slicer mengasd Cooking Equipment 0 15-10-2011 04:58 AM
Meat slicer? cybercat General Cooking 32 19-03-2008 04:43 PM
meat slicer for household use Amanda Cooking Equipment 6 23-06-2006 12:52 AM
Need recommendation for a meat slicer miamicuse Cooking Equipment 3 28-03-2006 02:37 AM