Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Need recommendation for a meat slicer

Want to get a slicer to cut very think slices of meat (beef primarily) for
shabu-shabu. Can someone recommend one that is relatively low cost,
functional and does not take up a lot of counter space and not 200 pounds in
weight?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to rec.food.equipment

miamicuse > wrote:
>Want to get a slicer to cut very think slices of meat (beef primarily) for
>shabu-shabu. Can someone recommend one that is relatively low cost,
>functional and does not take up a lot of counter space and not 200 pounds in
>weight?

We got a manual slicer for a wedding gift (well, okay, we put it
in our registry, and someone bought it for us). I don't recall the
brand off-hand. It was around $100. It's okay.

My real comments:

(a) manual slicers tend to have this problem: the slicing tray bends
slightly under pressure, making it night-impossible to get anything
resembling uniform cuts of very thin meat. And the pressure doesn't
even have to come from you; the slab of meat can actually pull itself
into the blade, resulting in a thicker cut on the far end.

(b) if you mostly-freeze your meat, or freeze-and-partially-thaw it,
it becomes much easier to slice thinly. We do this for Chinese hot-pot
(which is pretty darned similar to shabu-shabu).

Hope this helps,
--
Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks, can you tell me the brand of this manual slicer? Is it like
the deli meat slicer supermarkets used when people order deli meat?

MC

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article .com>,
MiamiCuse > wrote:
>Thanks, can you tell me the brand of this manual slicer? Is it like
>the deli meat slicer supermarkets used when people order deli meat?

According to my email records, Krups.

It's like the slicers you saw in small supermarkets in the 1970s, except
with '90s/'00s safety equipment (deadman's switch to operate; little plastic
teeth on the push-tray rammer to tell when you're coming up on the last
slice of meat, etc) and a lot more plastic. It's manual, in that
you have to move your arm forward and back for each slice).

Donald

Why does my meat slicer stall? [email protected] General Cooking 24 02-11-2015 05:12 AM
Electric meat slicer Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Cooking Equipment 7 14-09-2010 07:40 AM
Home meat slicer recommendation? Steve Calvin Cooking Equipment 22 22-04-2010 07:18 PM
Meat slicer? cybercat General Cooking 32 19-03-2008 05:43 PM
meat slicer for household use Amanda Cooking Equipment 6 23-06-2006 12:52 AM