Old 18-03-2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat slicer?

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

Old 18-03-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:11:46 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

Yes they do. I read about some good ones that were recommended by
Michel Ricard...who wrote a book last year called Happy in The
Kitchen.

I will try to look up the brand her recommends. He says they finally
have one that works well as the professional ones.

Christine
Old 18-03-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 17, 9:11 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

Rival brand came to mine immediately, then Waring. A google shows
"Chef's Choice" seems to be in the hunt.

Me? I use a big stainless Chinese "cleaver" slicer. Probably not as
high production.
Old 18-03-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

I had one of the lowend slicers for awhile, and it was good for
certain things. I eventually replaced it with a hobart commercial
model, but that's just me. Many people make good use of the small
home models.

Here's a review I posted of the lowend unit.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b38dec3947fef825?hl=en
Old 18-03-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat cybercat wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

Somebody trustworthy gave a pretty good review of the Waring Pro
home model. I've seen it in the stores for about $100.

I really want one of the commercial slicers. The kind that run on
autopilot like the ones they use at Arby's (or Isaly's if anybody
remembers those for chipped ham).

-sw

Old 18-03-2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

The small ones work well enough, but you don't use them that often
because they are a bit of a pain to clean after use. Of course the same
cleaning issue applies if you go to the used restaurant supply place and
get the real deal. Certainly they are great for getting consistent
thickness slices of meats, potatoes for chips, vegetables, etc.
Old 18-03-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberSLICE wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type

slicer.

Try an electric knife...

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

My "meat" would not fit on a "small model", thunderpussy...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Old 18-03-2008, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Toronto" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 9:11 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type
slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

Rival brand came to mine immediately, then Waring. A google shows
"Chef's Choice" seems to be in the hunt.

Me? I use a big stainless Chinese "cleaver" slicer. Probably not as
high production.

Many good suggestions from everyone. I want something less than an
"industrial" deli slicer, but more than a cleaver. I will go take a look
around.
Soon I I need to get a few things--a meat grinder, set of teflon pots and
pans, and a slicer--so I had better start looking. I appreciate the input.

Old 18-03-2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" wrote :
Here's a review I posted of the lowend unit.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b38dec3947fef825?hl=en

A really excellent, helpful review. Thanks!~

Old 18-03-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote in message

cybercat wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type
slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

The small ones work well enough, but you don't use them that often
because they are a bit of a pain to clean after use. Of course the same
cleaning issue applies if you go to the used restaurant supply place and
get the real deal. Certainly they are great for getting consistent
thickness slices of meats, potatoes for chips, vegetables, etc.

I won't mind cleaning, the point is, to have healthier stuff around for
the family to eat, that is not loaded with salt and fat and weird chemicals.
The meats I have been making are plenty good, but would be better if
I could get the slices thinner.

Old 18-03-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote
My "meat" would not fit on a "small model", thunderpussy...

Greggie, honey. As a normal heterosexual woman, I am not interested
in the peepee of a *** man. Just as you, as a "normal" *cough*
homosexual man, might not be expected to have an interest in
my hoohoo, however fabulous it may be.

Now be a good boy and take out the trash.

Old 18-03-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:
cybercat wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

The small ones work well enough, but you don't use them that often
because they are a bit of a pain to clean after use. Of course the same
cleaning issue applies if you go to the used restaurant supply place and
get the real deal. Certainly they are great for getting consistent
thickness slices of meats, potatoes for chips, vegetables, etc.

Unless you actually have some commercial-like need for a slicing
machine it makes no sense for typical home use. It's not good food
handling practice to slice more meat than can be used within a day,
two at the most, sliced meats deteriorate rapidly. All slicing
machines are difficult to clean, all slicing machines are notoriously
dangerous (the toys r us ones much more so), and none of the small
"home-style" slicing machine works well (they're toys, extremely
lethal toys). For the quantity of meat most folks need to slice at
home a sharp kitchen knife is more than adequate. If one occasionally
cooks a large holiday roast that they are intimidated by, most every
shop where one buys such a cut will when requested gladly slice it on
their commercial slicing machine and at no charge... next you go to
purchase that 15 pound or larger hunk of beef speak to the meat
department manager first to see about having it sliced, nine times out
of ten they will honor your request gladly.

There are many tricks one can employ to make meat slicing easier.
First the proper knife, no other but a carbon steel blade can be sharp
enough for effortless precision meat slicing. If you're uncomfortable
with making large slices from a large roast no law prohibits slicing
it in half longitudinally with the grain before proceding, then you
only need to slice through half the distance and when resting on the
flat you just created it will not easily move about on the board.
With very large roasts there would ideally be two carving stations, so
the roast is sliced in half across the grain, one half for each
station. I usually remove much of the exterior fat before slicing,
makes the task easier and less messy, and most folks don't eat that
fat anyway (professional meat carvers slice away exterior fat as they
go, and they slice partials alternately from the face of the meat,
they don't make full slices). Always slice only what you need for the
moment, you can slice more during a meal... always wrap the remainder
tightly and refrigerate as soon as possible, unsliced. Cold meat is
far easier to slice anyway.

I don't recommend a meat slicer for the home kitchen. Of course there
will always be the few pinheads who need to impress their guests, who
won't be impressed until they see you slice off your thumb.

Old 18-03-2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte wrote:
cybercat wrote:
I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

I had one of the lowend slicers for awhile, and it was good for
certain things. I eventually replaced it with a hobart commercial
model, but that's just me. Many people make good use of the small
home models.

Here's a review I posted of the low end unit.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b38dec3947fef825...

I suggest that folks read the Customer Reviews at the Amazon.com site
you referenced.

Old 18-03-2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Christine Dabney contains these words:

wrote:

I am still roasting things for sandwiches. My knives are fine, but I was
thinking tonight how much easier it would be to slice on a deli type
slicer.

Do they make small models of these? Anyone have one?

I used commercial ones at work and cleaning them properly is a PITA.
For large-scale fast even slicing of cooked meat you might
consider an electric carving knife; much easier to clean.

Janet

I'd like to find an electric carving knife that does a decent job,
however. Last year, I bought one (Black & Decker?) but had to return it
because it did so poorly. I still haven't had any luck finding one that
works well, dang it!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 18-03-2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

"Gregory Morrow" wrote
My "meat" would not fit on a "small model", thunderpussy...

Greggie, honey. As a normal heterosexual woman, I am not interested
in the peepee of a *** man. Just as you, as a "normal" *cough*
homosexual man, might not be expected to have an interest in
my hoohoo, however fabulous it may be.

Now be a good boy and take out the trash.

"Cybercat's spring love song wafted along the bonnie breeze and hit me like
a section of the Berlin Wall..."

;-p

--
Best