Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Default Spraying butter?

Chemiker wrote:

> NTLA (Not Too Long Ago), I decided to make an(other) apple crisp.
> Fruit was to be Fuji or Gala or a mix of those apples, with the
> typical streusel topping, augmented with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
>
> My earlier tries resulted in rather soggy toppings, anything but
> "crisp". This time I followed the standard procedure, but about 5-8
> minutes before the dish was done, I brushed the topping with melted
> butter, using a silicone brush. VOILA! Crisp as concrete! Flavor was
> good, crunch was definitely there, and no nuts were needed (can't eat
> them).
>
> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity. Not only that, but if it could
> also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.
>
> Since I am about as proficient in baking as I am in speaking fluent
> Afghan, or Urdu, or whatever it is, I throw this question out to those
> more knowledgable than I.
>
> Is there such a device? If not, how have you addressed this problem?

To keep the butter melted, the sprayer contraption would have to be
heated somehow, wouldn't it? Otherwise, the butter would just solidify,
wouldn't it. Wouldn't using a pastry brush to lightly brush-on the
melted butter do about the same thing ??

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:17:21 -0500, Chemiker > wrote:

>....Not only that, but if it could
>also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.

Pump-up evoo sprays are widely available and very useful. I have one in my
caibnet nearest the stove.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:52:25 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:17:21 -0500, Chemiker > wrote:
>
>>....Not only that, but if it could
>>also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.

>Pump-up evoo sprays are widely available and very useful. I have one in my
>caibnet nearest the stove.
>
>-- Larry

DIdn't know that. Have to get one for those veggies. Thanks for the
tip.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> NTLA (Not Too Long Ago), I decided to make an(other) apple crisp.
> Fruit was to be Fuji or Gala or a mix of those apples, with the
> typical streusel topping, augmented with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
>
> My earlier tries resulted in rather soggy toppings, anything but
> "crisp". This time I followed the standard procedure, but about 5-8
> minutes before the dish was done, I brushed the topping with melted
> butter, using a silicone brush. VOILA! Crisp as concrete! Flavor was
> good, crunch was definitely there, and no nuts were needed (can't eat
> them).
>
> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity. Not only that, but if it could
> also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.
>
> Since I am about as proficient in baking as I am in speaking fluent
> Afghan, or Urdu, or whatever it is, I throw this question out to those
> more knowledgable than I.
>
> Is there such a device? If not, how have you addressed this problem?
>
> TIA, Alex

don't know if this is for sale, but:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4477023.html

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:05:55 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>> I threw mine away, it was more trouble than it was worth.

>http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread...ve-oil-sprayer

I suspect where you keep it -- especially the temperature -- has a lot to do
with how well it functions.

Mine's been in continuous use for about ten years, with nothing more than
occasional topping up. No clogging, no cleaning, no problems.

{Shrug} YMMV, obviously.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> NTLA (Not Too Long Ago), I decided to make an(other) apple crisp.
> Fruit was to be Fuji or Gala or a mix of those apples, with the
> typical streusel topping, augmented with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
>
> My earlier tries resulted in rather soggy toppings, anything but
> "crisp". This time I followed the standard procedure, but about 5-8
> minutes before the dish was done, I brushed the topping with melted
> butter, using a silicone brush. VOILA! Crisp as concrete! Flavor was
> good, crunch was definitely there, and no nuts were needed (can't eat
> them).
>
> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity. Not only that, but if it could
> also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.
>
> Since I am about as proficient in baking as I am in speaking fluent
> Afghan, or Urdu, or whatever it is, I throw this question out to those
> more knowledgable than I.
>
> Is there such a device? If not, how have you addressed this problem?

I took a class where we sprayed warm (about 80 degrees) chocolate/cocoa
butter using a compressed air sprayer. Should work for butter, but the set
up and clean up might be a bit much for your use.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:40:10 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>> Mine's been in continuous use for about ten years, with nothing more than
>> occasional topping up. No clogging, no cleaning, no problems.
>>
>> {Shrug} YMMV, obviously.

>Your mileage *really* varies, since most folks have the clog problem. :-)

Then don't jinx me! 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:53:08 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>> Then don't jinx me! 8

>Let's both spit 3X and throw salt over our shoulders, then!

Drat ... now I've got a wet monitor and a ticked-off boss, who was standing
behind me ....

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity.

Many years ago, when I worked for Famous-Barr prior to the Macy's
acquisition, they got a new manager in the corporate warehouse, and he
started liquidating through the stores all kinds of outdate things that
had been languishing. Among them were these yellow and clear plastic
bottles with a sprayer on top. The idea was to put the butter in the
clear bottle, melt it, stick the sprayer assembly on top and spray
butter. Remove sprayer, place storage cap on bottle and keep in fridge
until needed again. The idea was that butter in the sprayer assembly
would absorb heat from melted butter to free it up.

Didn't work worth a ####. Had to keep bottle full of butter to radiate
enough heat, and you could not put sprayer in microwave because it had
metal parts that would absorb to much microwave power and melt the
plastic parts. Worked on first try only, then after, nothing. Wasted
about 68-70 cents on it; 49 cents for sprayer on clearance, 15 cents for
one stick of butter from a 59 cent package, and 2-4 cents worth of
electricity running the microwave to melt the butter.

That was in 2002, and the packages of sprayers were old when they came
from the warehouse.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> NTLA (Not Too Long Ago), I decided to make an(other) apple crisp.
> Fruit was to be Fuji or Gala or a mix of those apples, with the
> typical streusel topping, augmented with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
>
> My earlier tries resulted in rather soggy toppings, anything but
> "crisp". This time I followed the standard procedure, but about 5-8
> minutes before the dish was done, I brushed the topping with melted
> butter, using a silicone brush. VOILA! Crisp as concrete! Flavor was
> good, crunch was definitely there, and no nuts were needed (can't eat
> them).
>
> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity. Not only that, but if it could
> also spray EVOO, roasting those veggies would be improved also.
>
> Since I am about as proficient in baking as I am in speaking fluent
> Afghan, or Urdu, or whatever it is, I throw this question out to those
> more knowledgable than I.
>
> Is there such a device? If not, how have you addressed this problem?
>
> TIA, Alex

Just worked a week at a resort. They used a food grade spray bottle, filled
it up with warm clarified butter, and sprayed away. Later, when it was
solid, we put the bottle in a bain marie, and it sprayed just fine.