Posted to rec.food.equipment
jt august[_3_] jt august[_3_] is offline

Default Spraying butter?

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> It occurs to me that if there were such a device as a butter-sprayer,
> that is, something that could spray a mist of melted butter onto the
> crisp, it would be a boon to humanity.

Many years ago, when I worked for Famous-Barr prior to the Macy's
acquisition, they got a new manager in the corporate warehouse, and he
started liquidating through the stores all kinds of outdate things that
had been languishing. Among them were these yellow and clear plastic
bottles with a sprayer on top. The idea was to put the butter in the
clear bottle, melt it, stick the sprayer assembly on top and spray
butter. Remove sprayer, place storage cap on bottle and keep in fridge
until needed again. The idea was that butter in the sprayer assembly
would absorb heat from melted butter to free it up.

Didn't work worth a ####. Had to keep bottle full of butter to radiate
enough heat, and you could not put sprayer in microwave because it had
metal parts that would absorb to much microwave power and melt the
plastic parts. Worked on first try only, then after, nothing. Wasted
about 68-70 cents on it; 49 cents for sprayer on clearance, 15 cents for
one stick of butter from a 59 cent package, and 2-4 cents worth of
electricity running the microwave to melt the butter.

That was in 2002, and the packages of sprayers were old when they came
from the warehouse.

jt