biig

Default Spraying olive oil

Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon
Sheldon

biig wrote:
> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
> thick to go through the nozzle...??

If you mean a plastic spray bottle like for Windex the oil will pass
through but after a short while will harden and clog the sprayer
orifice and is difficult to unclog... even occurs with those special
sprayers meant for use with spraying cooking oil. I honestly don't
know why anyone would bother, when with spraying much of the atomized
oil goes airborne and oversprayed... and is just another stupid gadget
to deal with... not healthful to aspirate atomized oil and a pain to
clean from countertops. Use your fingers or a brush.

Sheldon

alsandor

biig a =E9crit :
> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
> thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon

I use a spray bottle all the time. It's designed to hold a fair amount
of oil, considering that very little of it actually gets used each
time.

I have two spray bottles (Misto brand, got them for father's day two
years ago) one for olive oil and the other for safflower oil which is
the oil I use for cr=E8pes. I would not recommend using canola oil as
you'll probably be cleaning it often.

As a rule, I clean it between fillings. Also, it's reduced my
purchases of oil from 3 litre cans to 500 ml bottles.

Misto brand is expensive but I like the shape. I believe
Williams-Sonoma has a good bottle. I got one for my daughter when I
was in Toronto, and it was about 18$CDN.

biig wrote:
> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
> thick to go through the nozzle...??

I'm not sure what advantage a spray bottle would be. It seems to me
that one would have better control of the amount used by pouring or
brushing or spreading on the food by hand. And the spray stream might
go all over the place.

Mac

Bubba

Don't know about the "ordinary" spray bottle but I've got two Oil O
Pumps, one that I've been using for about 5-6 years. Cost me about $6
each. I like 'em.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

KAR

Bubba wrote:
> Don't know about the "ordinary" spray bottle but I've got two Oil O
> Pumps, one that I've been using for about 5-6 years. Cost me about $6
> each. I like 'em.
>
> Bubba
>
> biig wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
>> thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon

I bought a cheap plastic bottle at the 99 cent store which works just fine.
I can sautee vegetables, or garlic for softening and add the other elements
to cook slowly. Of course, when I'm cooking, I have a bottle on hand for
measuring large volumes. But for everyday cooking and to keep fats in a
controlled portion, the sprayer distributes a nice mist in a single spray
and solves a lot of problems.

I make a nice pasta en broido this way, softening some garlic and sliced
onion in a single spritz of oil on a medium low heat to which I then add
ground lean poultry (usually chicken). I then add a cup of chicken broth
and simmer fresh mushrooms, green pepper, red pepper flakes and some fresh
parsley and basil and diced (peeled) fresh tomatoes which I serve over whole
wheat penne. It's delicious, very filling, and a dish that seems much
richer than it is.

A single spray bottle lasts a long time at a spritz-at-a-time. And if it
clogs (mine hasn't yet) it's a buck for a replacementy.

Mickey Zalusky

biig wrote:
> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
> thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon

I purchased a special lab plastic bottle that is terrific for a very
fine stream of oil. The nozzle doesn't clog and the wide screw-top that
makes it very easy to refill as well a clean between fillings. Here's
where I purchased mine from www.usplastics.com. The specific bottle
purchased for around $7.00 is:

http://tinyurl.com/bkwhs

I was concerned about the nozzle leaking so I found a small bottle cap
and keep it on the end of the nozzle to avoid any dribbles.

The very narrow nozzle give me terrific control for limiting oil
dispensing and, because the bottle stays upright rather than tipping it
upside down to dispense, there's never a problem with oil leakingi out
the cap or bottle rim.

Mickey
biig

Mickey Zalusky wrote:

> biig wrote:
> > Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
> > thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon

> I purchased a special lab plastic bottle that is terrific for a very
> fine stream of oil. The nozzle doesn't clog and the wide screw-top that
> makes it very easy to refill as well a clean between fillings. Here's
> where I purchased mine from www.usplastics.com. The specific bottle
> purchased for around $7.00 is:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bkwhs
>
> I was concerned about the nozzle leaking so I found a small bottle cap
> and keep it on the end of the nozzle to avoid any dribbles.
>
> The very narrow nozzle give me terrific control for limiting oil
> dispensing and, because the bottle stays upright rather than tipping it
> upside down to dispense, there's never a problem with oil leakingi out
> the cap or bottle rim.
>
> Mickey

Thanks Mickey and all the others for your answers. Mickey..I've been to
their outlet just off I75 in Ohio (is this the same one?) Sharon
Mickey Zalusky

biig wrote:

> Mickey Zalusky wrote:
>
>>biig wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used an ordinary spray bottle for this or is oil too
>>>thick to go through the nozzle...?? TIA ..Sharon

>>I purchased a special lab plastic bottle that is terrific for a very
>>fine stream of oil. The nozzle doesn't clog and the wide screw-top that
>>makes it very easy to refill as well a clean between fillings. Here's
>>where I purchased mine from www.usplastics.com. The specific bottle
>>purchased for around $7.00 is:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/bkwhs
>>
>>I was concerned about the nozzle leaking so I found a small bottle cap
>>and keep it on the end of the nozzle to avoid any dribbles.
>>
>>The very narrow nozzle give me terrific control for limiting oil
>>dispensing and, because the bottle stays upright rather than tipping it
>>upside down to dispense, there's never a problem with oil leakingi out
>>the cap or bottle rim.
>>
>>Mickey

> Thanks Mickey and all the others for your answers. Mickey..I've been to
> their outlet just off I75 in Ohio (is this the same one?) Sharon

Sharon, I've only ordered over the phone. I live in CA.... It must be
fun to actually see and touch all of their wonderful containers.

I remembered also ordering a few "Delta Foam Dispenser" bottles that are
great. You fill the bottle with 1/4 liquid hand soap and fill the rest
almost to the top with water. When you push down on the pump, the soap
dispenses in foam form. I have one at the kitchen sink and in each
bathroom as well. Very economical and the foam is fun too!

Mickey
Mickey Zalusky

Mickey Zalusky wrote:
> biig wrote:
>

>> Mickey Zalusky wrote:

>>> I purchased a special lab plastic bottle that is terrific for a very
>>> fine stream of oil. The nozzle doesn't clog and the wide screw-top that
>>> makes it very easy to refill as well a clean between fillings. Here's
>>> where I purchased mine from www.usplastics.com. The specific bottle
>>> purchased for around $7.00 is:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/bkwhs
>>>
>>> I was concerned about the nozzle leaking so I found a small bottle cap
>>> and keep it on the end of the nozzle to avoid any dribbles.
>>>
>>> The very narrow nozzle give me terrific control for limiting oil
>>> dispensing and, because the bottle stays upright rather than tipping it
>>> upside down to dispense, there's never a problem with oil leakingi out
>>> the cap or bottle rim.
>>>
>>> Mickey

>> Thanks Mickey and all the others for your answers. Mickey..I've been to
>> their outlet just off I75 in Ohio (is this the same one?) Sharon

> Sharon, I've only ordered over the phone. I live in CA.... It must be
> fun to actually see and touch all of their wonderful containers.
>
> I remembered also ordering a few "Delta Foam Dispenser" bottles that are
> great. You fill the bottle with 1/4 liquid hand soap and fill the rest
> almost to the top with water. When you push down on the pump, the soap
> dispenses in foam form. I have one at the kitchen sink and in each
> bathroom as well. Very economical and the foam is fun too!
>
> Mickey

Sharon, the company's address is

United States Plastic Corp
1390 Neubrecht Rd.
Lima, OH 45801-3196

biig

Mickey Zalusky wrote:

> Mickey Zalusky wrote:
> > biig wrote:

> >> Thanks Mickey and all the others for your answers. Mickey..I've been to
> >> their outlet just off I75 in Ohio (is this the same one?) Sharon

> > Sharon, I've only ordered over the phone. I live in CA.... It must be
> > fun to actually see and touch all of their wonderful containers.
> >
> > I remembered also ordering a few "Delta Foam Dispenser" bottles that are
> > great. You fill the bottle with 1/4 liquid hand soap and fill the rest
> > almost to the top with water. When you push down on the pump, the soap
> > dispenses in foam form. I have one at the kitchen sink and in each
> > bathroom as well. Very economical and the foam is fun too!
> >
> > Mickey

> Sharon, the company's address is
>
> United States Plastic Corp
> 1390 Neubrecht Rd.
> Lima, OH 45801-3196

That's the one. We've stopped there on our way home from Florida
one winter. But didn't buy much. I was still working 8 months of the
year and didn't do much cooking back then, but they have a lot of
different plastic wares ....Sharon