Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default That baking stone thing.

Anybody use their baking stones on their outside grills, over
a wood fire? I have bought one of those Japanese-style
circular grillss/ovens that look like giant ginger jars. I have
a round pizza stone and have been toying with the idea of
making a pizza over an apple wood fire, outside.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:25:24 -0600, Chemiker
> wrote:

>Anybody use their baking stones on their outside grills, over
>a wood fire? I have bought one of those Japanese-style
>circular grillss/ovens that look like giant ginger jars. I have
>a round pizza stone and have been toying with the idea of
>making a pizza over an apple wood fire, outside.
>
>Alex

I have not, myself, but the Big Green Egg/Kamodo online groups mention
it all the time.

Here is the BGE webpages, offering a stone for sale for their grill.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/setters.html

And here is someone's blog about it:

http://scholarlypublishing.org/jpwilkin/archives/15

Boron
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Chemiker wrote:
> Anybody use their baking stones on their outside grills, over
> a wood fire? I have bought one of those Japanese-style
> circular grillss/ovens that look like giant ginger jars. I have
> a round pizza stone and have been toying with the idea of
> making a pizza over an apple wood fire, outside.
>
> Alex

I tried it with my Weber gas grill. A dismal failure. The problem
seemed to be that the stone got plenty hot but the air above the stone
lost all of it's heat when the grill cover was opened. Raw top, burnt
bottom. The crust stuck to the stone. Big mess. At least I didn't get
burned. I see on Amazon that there are setups for use on gas grills
that have a metal base to raise the stone above the grill level. Dunno
how that will work. Your Kamodo grill may have better/different heat
retention properties than my Weber. I've seen fancy outdoor kitchens
with built in pizza ovens.

Why bother with apple wood? It's pretty subtle in the flavor department
and the pizza cooks very quickly. Save your apple wood for slow cooking
pork or chicken thighs.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:25:24 -0600, Chemiker > wrote:

>Anybody use their baking stones on their outside grills, over
>a wood fire?

Most recent cooking catalogs have included a special pizza stone for just that
purpose. It looks like a regular -- but thin -- baking stone with aluminum legs
to elevate it an inch or two from the grill.

Here's one of them: http://tinyurl.com/6dr8zf

Seems rather pointless to me -- I'd just go ahead and plonk my regular bake
stone right on the grill.

But since grilled pizza is one of our very favorite foods, I'll probably never
get around to trying it. 8;(

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Moka Java" > wrote in message
> Chemiker wrote:
>> Anybody use their baking stones on their outside grills, over
>> a wood fire? I have bought one of those Japanese-style
>> circular grillss/ovens that look like giant ginger jars. I have a round
>> pizza stone and have been toying with the idea of
>> making a pizza over an apple wood fire, outside.
>>
>> Alex

> I tried it with my Weber gas grill. A dismal failure. The problem seemed
> to be that the stone got plenty hot but the air above the stone lost all
> of it's heat when the grill cover was opened. Raw top, burnt bottom. The
> crust stuck to the stone. Big mess. At least I didn't get burned. I see
> on Amazon that there are setups for use on gas grills that have a metal
> base to raise the stone above the grill level. Dunno how that will work.
> Your Kamodo grill may have better/different heat retention properties than
> my Weber. I've seen fancy outdoor kitchens with built in pizza ovens.
>
> Why bother with apple wood? It's pretty subtle in the flavor department
> and the pizza cooks very quickly. Save your apple wood for slow cooking
> pork or chicken thighs.

I've had the same failure on the Weber Genesis until:
I put a thin Walmart pizza stone[about fifteen bucks] on a 16" pizza pan,
heat it to 600F for 30 minutes. and bake a thin crust Margharita pizza
topped with tomato and cheese and nothing else. Mist the pizza with a water
spray when you put it on, leave it for 5 minutes. Then take it off and eat!.
I think what really helped with this was to buy cast iron grates for the
grill. That holds the heat. The steel grates that come with the Genesis and
the stainless steel grates that come with the more expensive grills are
worthless. Also important is to make a thin crust, minimal fresh tomato,
cheese, and nothing else. Add no meat unless you want to add proscuitto or
something similar after it comes off.
Hope this helps,

Theron

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:34:59 -0800, "Theron" > wrote:

>I think what really helped with this was to buy cast iron grates for the
>grill. That holds the heat. The steel grates that come with the Genesis and
>the stainless steel grates that come with the more expensive grills are
>worthless.

Agreed -- enameled cast iron is the only way to go.

> Also important is to make a thin crust, minimal fresh tomato,
>cheese, and nothing else. Add no meat unless you want to add proscuitto or
>something similar after it comes off.

Why no meats?

I cook the first side, then flip, brush the cooked side lightly with olive oil,
add sauce, cheese, toppings. The oil prevents the sauce from being absorbed by
the crust.

-- Larry

baking stone for pizza sf[_9_] General Cooking 57 18-04-2012 10:14 PM
My head spins trying to find the right type of quarry stone to beused as baking stone Manda Ruby General Cooking 5 26-08-2009 04:56 PM
Sassafras Baking Stone Doug Weller Cooking Equipment 2 06-04-2006 11:32 PM
baking stone Darcy Legare Baking 12 23-12-2004 11:01 PM
I LOVE my baking stone! JLove98905 General Cooking 15 18-11-2003 05:36 AM