Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My head spins trying to find the right type of quarry stone to beused as baking stone

First, I will not repeat the title in the message body of my post. So,
remember what you just read in the subject title.

In a froum, someone said that "slate" is the safest to be used for
baking. In a nother forum, someone said that home Depot carries
Saltillo brand or something like that.

What exact terms do you need to use when shopping to find a safe
quarry stone for baking purpose?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>First, I will not repeat the title in the message body of my post. So,
>remember what you just read in the subject title.
>
>In a froum, someone said that "slate" is the safest to be used for
>baking. In a nother forum, someone said that home Depot carries
>Saltillo brand or something like that.
>
>What exact terms do you need to use when shopping to find a safe
>quarry stone for baking purpose?

First: Saltillo is not a brand. It is a city in Mexico where they make
terra cotta tiles. Saltillo tiles refers to the type of tile.

Food safe, comes to mind. Oven tiles would work.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chemiker > wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>
> >First, I will not repeat the title in the message body of my post. So,
> >remember what you just read in the subject title.
> >
> >In a froum, someone said that "slate" is the safest to be used for
> >baking. In a nother forum, someone said that home Depot carries
> >Saltillo brand or something like that.
> >
> >What exact terms do you need to use when shopping to find a safe
> >quarry stone for baking purpose?

> First: Saltillo is not a brand. It is a city in Mexico where they make
> terra cotta tiles. Saltillo tiles refers to the type of tile.
>
> Food safe, comes to mind. Oven tiles would work.
>
> Alex

What about Marble?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 00:49:29 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Chemiker > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
>> > wrote:

>> Food safe, comes to mind. Oven tiles would work.

>What about Marble?

As far as food safe goes, sure, buy I never tried a piece
in the oven. No clue.

Alex, who can find Saltillo tiles at any of three local
stores that sell ceramic floor tile. Slate pavers can be
found at our local garden/landscaping center, but they're
not well dressed enough to cook on, I think.

May investigate buying a couple as oven liners.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> > wrote:
>

>> First, I will not repeat the title in the message body of my post. So,
>> remember what you just read in the subject title.
>>
>> In a froum, someone said that "slate" is the safest to be used for
>> baking. In a nother forum, someone said that home Depot carries
>> Saltillo brand or something like that.
>>
>> What exact terms do you need to use when shopping to find a safe
>> quarry stone for baking purpose?
>>

> First: Saltillo is not a brand. It is a city in Mexico where they make
> terra cotta tiles. Saltillo tiles refers to the type of tile.
>
> Food safe, comes to mind. Oven tiles would work.
>
> Alex

One of my clients was a millionaire who lived in Saltillo, Mexico, she
said they were in the "potato" business. Is there that much money in
potatoes? I thought that was odd.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 3:01 am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> First, I will not repeat the title in the message body of my post. So,
> remember what you just read in the subject title.
>
> In a froum, someone said that "slate" is the safest to be used for
> baking. In a nother forum, someone said that home Depot carries
> Saltillo brand or something like that.
>
> What exact terms do you need to use when shopping to find a safe
> quarry stone for baking purpose?

I made a similar inquiry to the group back in March (I wanted to bake
appetizers on small slabs of marble). I got a private reply from a
nice earth sciences teacher that said marble would be OK in the oven,
but not slate - it would likely explode due to trapped moisture in the
sedimentary slate.

That aside, you can go to any garden or flooring store (or Home Depot
or equivalent) and get "quarry tiles." They are fired, unglazed clay
tiles that come in various sizes. They are cheap. Get enough to
cover an oven shelf or floor. Place them close together, preheat the
oven, and bake your goods directly on them.

Another option is to buy a "pizza stone." Look online or any kitchen
supply shop.

--
Silvar Beitel

No luck in finding unglazed quarry stone; which Pizza stone should Ibuy out of this 3 Manda Ruby General Cooking 0 26-08-2009 07:47 AM
Best way to clean a baking stone Moka Java Cooking Equipment 30 29-01-2009 07:27 PM
baking stone Darcy Legare Baking 12 23-12-2004 10:01 PM
quarry stone = pizza stone : continued? Zed Rafi Barbecue 17 20-08-2004 03:15 AM
pizza stone = quarry stone Woogeroo Barbecue 11 05-08-2004 12:13 AM