Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default baking stone for pizza

My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.

So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
significantly less.

In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>
> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> significantly less.
>
> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack

btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:02:06 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> > place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> > find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> > that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
> >
> > So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> > stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> > stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
> > 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> > large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> > significantly less.
> >
> > In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
> > Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> > really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
> > like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

> This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.
>
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack
>
> btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

Thanks O, I saw the US version. I take it you recommend ceramic.
They seem to be the most reasonable price on the internet, but the
biggest I saw were only 12 x 15 inches. Oh, oh, oh! I just found a
14 x 16 at http://www.chefdepot.net/pizzamaking.htm for only $38.99
(others the same size are over $50). Things are looking up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 4/3/2012 4:50 PM, sf wrote:

> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>
> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> significantly less.
>
> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

Don't Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards (or other bigbox 'home' stores)
have unglazed terra cotta tiles of any size???? What about local
pottery shops around the SFBA?? Just wondering.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:gunmn7p22tusm9i1otjiol7baoagq5jr34@
4ax.com:

> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>
> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> significantly less.
>
> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

So long as you heat the bejeezus out of it prior to baking, it should crisp
your bottom :-)

I always put on a sprinkling of semolina on the hot stone, just to prevent
any sticking.

The several I have here are like this one.........

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html

The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for the same
price :-)

If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick metal
pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

Similar to this......

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...pizza_pan.html

--
Peter
Tasmania

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:22:21 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> On 4/3/2012 4:50 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> > place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> > find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> > that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.

<snip>

> Don't Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards (or other bigbox 'home' stores)
> have unglazed terra cotta tiles of any size????

I don't want "any size", I want 6 in square and 3 x 6 rectangles.
They only sell tiles by the box at places like that, I've called them
and asked.

> What about local
> pottery shops around the SFBA?? Just wondering.

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>> This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.
>>
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack
>>
>> btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

> Thanks O, I saw the US version. I take it you recommend ceramic.
> They seem to be the most reasonable price on the internet, but the
> biggest I saw were only 12 x 15 inches. Oh, oh, oh! I just found a
> 14 x 16 at http://www.chefdepot.net/pizzamaking.htm for only $38.99
> (others the same size are over $50). Things are looking up.

Cool)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
> tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
> $5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
> bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
> > tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
> > $5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
> > bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:27:30 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:gunmn7p22tusm9i1otjiol7baoagq5jr34@
> 4ax.com:
>

> > My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
> > place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> > find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
> > that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
> >
> > So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> > stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> > stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
> > 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> > large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> > significantly less.
> >
> > In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
> > Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> > really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
> > like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA
> >

> So long as you heat the bejeezus out of it prior to baking, it should crisp
> your bottom :-)

I'm used to doing that with the tiles.

> I always put on a sprinkling of semolina on the hot stone, just to prevent
> any sticking.
>
> The several I have here are like this one.........
>
> http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html
>

> The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for the same
> price :-)

I prefer the one pictured on the right, below that image... but I
found it at a better price elsewhere.

> If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick metal
> pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

I already have one of those, but I don't use it.

> Similar to this......
>
> http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...pizza_pan.html

That one seems to be the round version of what Ophelia has. If they
came any bigger I'd be all over it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 2:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. *It's had enough finding a
> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. *On top of
> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>
> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> stone that's just one piece. *My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> stones up to that size on the internet. *Breadtopia.com has both 13
> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> significantly less.
>
> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. *Emile
> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? *I
> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. *TIA
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I've had this sassafras stone for over 20 years. It is unglazed, and I
suspect the porousness may help suck water from the crust via
capillary action. The crust always turns out crispy, even with the
amount of crushed tomatoes I like on top.

My stone came as a kit with a peel and a cutter. I always make two
pizzas in a session, assembling one on the peel, and another on a
sheet of plastic meant to serve as a kneading board.

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
news
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:27:30 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:

>> The several I have here are like this one.........
>>
>> http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html
>>

>> The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for
>> the same price :-)

> I prefer the one pictured on the right, below that image... but I
> found it at a better price elsewhere.

Ahhhh, you want square.

>> If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick
>> metal pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

> I already have one of those, but I don't use it.
>>
>> Similar to this......
>>
>> http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...hole_pizza_pan
>> .html

> That one seems to be the round version of what Ophelia has. If they
> came any bigger I'd be all over it.

The one I have is about 14" across (IIRC), so they are around.

Let us know what you decide :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
>> > tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
>> > $5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
>> > bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

>> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw
>> back!!!

> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

Online shopping is the only way to fly nowadays!! :-)

I just bought my BIL some wine for his b'day.

Was going to spend $129 on a case of wine with a case of beer thrown in,
but ended up getting him 3 cases of wine on an auction site.

So now he has a case of Andrew Peace `Masterpeace` Shiraz 2011 ,

a case of Pasadena `Pony Express` Syrah 2010, California, USA.

and a case of Silkwood Heritage Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Pemberton, WA.

All for exactly $129 !!!

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2012 6:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "sf" > wrote
>> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
>> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
>> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
>> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>>
>> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
>> stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
>> stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
>> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
>> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
>> significantly less.
>>
>> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
>> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
>> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
>> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

> This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.
>
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack
>
> btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

I have a round unglazed one with a carrying rack like that. It works
very well, but after a few uses it starts to look really tacky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100, >
> wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear&
>>> tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
>>> $5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
>>> bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

>> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

It's $12 now.
Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:32:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

> > I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
> > one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
> > thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
> > last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
> >

> It's $12 now.
> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

OUCH! But yes, I remember when bridge tolls were 25¢ here too.
<sniffle>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:32:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>> It's $12 now.
>> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

> OUCH! But yes, I remember when bridge tolls were 25¢ here too.
> <sniffle>

That would have still been pretty expensive back then, wouldn't it?? ;-P

I remember when 10c worth of fish and chips was about 6 large pieces of
battered fish, and about 2kgs of chips!!

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 02:59:08 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:32:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> > > wrote:

> >> It's $12 now.
> >> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

> > OUCH! But yes, I remember when bridge tolls were 25¢ here too.
> > <sniffle>
> >

> That would have still been pretty expensive back then, wouldn't it?? ;-P

and that was the fare each way - so a round trip was 50¢. The bridge
was supposed to be paid off at one point with no tolls after that, but
then the state decided bridges would have to pay for their own
maintenance so fares continued and increased.

> I remember when 10c worth of fish and chips was about 6 large pieces of
> battered fish, and about 2kgs of chips!!

To be honest, fish and chips was never 10¢ here. We got two or three
large pieces with a mess of fries (just a small fraction of 2 kg
though) for $1, maybe $2, and that was in the '68-'72 era.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2012 6:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote
>>> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
>>> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
>>> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
>>> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>>>
>>> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
>>> stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
>>> stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
>>> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
>>> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
>>> significantly less.
>>>
>>> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
>>> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
>>> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
>>> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

>> This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.
>>
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack
>>
>> btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.
>>

> I have a round unglazed one with a carrying rack like that. It works very
> well, but after a few uses it starts to look really tacky.

Haha 'tacky' is being very kind Mine cracked in half and now I use one
half in my top oven at home and the other half in the oven at the caravan.
I have promised myself a new one for home though because I do like it and
it's not expensive.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw
>>> back!!!

>> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
>> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
>> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
>> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
>>

> It's $12 now.
> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100, >
> wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear&
>>> tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
>>> $5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
>>> bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

>> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

Not quite. But the government efficiency thing kicked in and they more
than doubled most of the tolls about a year ago. GWB is now $12 cash (or
$9.50 ezpass) during peak hours. Previously the GWB was $4 using ezpass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
>>> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
>>> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
>>> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
>>>

>> It's $12 now.
>> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

> Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)

Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the mirror).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 7:44 AM, George wrote:
> On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:

>> I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
>> one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
>> thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
>> last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
>>

> Not quite. But the government efficiency thing kicked in and they more
> than doubled most of the tolls about a year ago. GWB is now $12 cash (or
> $9.50 ezpass) during peak hours. Previously the GWB was $4 using ezpass.

The problem isn't for the people who live in NYC for the most
part, it's for the people going *to* NYC. The Verrazano is the
only toll bridge within the city that comes to mind.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:46:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:32:42 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:

>> > I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
>> > one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
>> > thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
>> > last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
>> >

>> It's $12 now.
>> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

>OUCH! But yes, I remember when bridge tolls were 25¢ here too.

The Brooklyn Bridge is free in both directions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> It's $12 now.
>>> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

>> Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)
>>

> Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the mirror).

Och awa wi ye wumman, yer still a wee lassie ...

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> It's $12 now.
>>> Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.

>> Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)
>>

> Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the mirror).

The Mirror
Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797, Irish Philosopher.

I look in the mirror
And what do I see?
A strange looking person
That cannot be me.

For I am much younger
And not nearly so fat
As that face in the mirror
I am looking at.

Oh, where are the mirrors
That I used to know
Like the ones which were
Made thirty years ago?

Now all things have changed
And I`m sure you`ll agree
Mirrors are not as good
As they used to be.

So never be concerned,
If wrinkles appear
For one thing I`ve learned
Which is very clear,

Should your complexion
Be less than perfection,
It is really the mirror
That needs correction!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 5:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. *It's had enough finding a
> place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
> find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. *On top of
> that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.
>
> So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
> stone that's just one piece. *My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
> stones up to that size on the internet. *Breadtopia.com has both 13
> 7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
> large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
> significantly less.
>
> In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. *Emile
> Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
> really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? *I
> like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. *TIA
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

If you buy a stone, be sure you have the lifting handles, too --
although I can't imagine a sonte being sold without them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:44:32 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

> > I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
> > one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
> > thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
> > last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.
> >

> Not quite. But the government efficiency thing kicked in and they more
> than doubled most of the tolls about a year ago. GWB is now $12 cash (or
> $9.50 ezpass) during peak hours. Previously the GWB was $4 using ezpass.

Maybe they charge taxis more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> The Brooklyn Bridge is free in both directions.

I suspect Brooklyn1 might have had something to do with that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 10:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 4/4/2012 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" > wrote

>>> Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)
>>>

>> Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the mirror).

> Och awa wi ye wumman, yer still a wee lassie ...

Ahm no wee!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 11:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 4/4/2012 6:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" > wrote

>>> Oh, quite recently then .. ;o)
>>>

>> Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the mirror).

> The Mirror
> Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797, Irish Philosopher.
>
> I look in the mirror
> And what do I see?
> A strange looking person
> That cannot be me.
>
> For I am much younger
> And not nearly so fat
> As that face in the mirror
> I am looking at.
>
> Oh, where are the mirrors
> That I used to know
> Like the ones which were
> Made thirty years ago?
>
> Now all things have changed
> And I`m sure you`ll agree
> Mirrors are not as good
> As they used to be.
>
> So never be concerned,
> If wrinkles appear
> For one thing I`ve learned
> Which is very clear,
>
> Should your complexion
> Be less than perfection,
> It is really the mirror
> That needs correction!!

Indeed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 10:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Well, it _feels_ like it was just yesterday (until I look in the
>>> mirror).

>> Och awa wi ye wumman, yer still a wee lassie ...
>>

> Ahm no wee!

Weeeel mebbes no... but yer aylegant so yar!!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 11:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> The Mirror
> Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797, Irish Philosopher.
>
> I look in the mirror
> And what do I see?
> A strange looking person
> That cannot be me.
>
> For I am much younger
> And not nearly so fat
> As that face in the mirror
> I am looking at.
>
> Oh, where are the mirrors
> That I used to know
> Like the ones which were
> Made thirty years ago?
>
> Now all things have changed
> And I`m sure you`ll agree
> Mirrors are not as good
> As they used to be.
>
> So never be concerned,
> If wrinkles appear
> For one thing I`ve learned
> Which is very clear,
>
> Should your complexion
> Be less than perfection,
> It is really the mirror
> That needs correction!!

So funny, and true, too! Seems the mirrors were better even
back in the 1700s!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 11:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> The Mirror
>> Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797, Irish Philosopher.
>>
>> I look in the mirror
>> And what do I see?
>> A strange looking person
>> That cannot be me.
>>
>> For I am much younger
>> And not nearly so fat
>> As that face in the mirror
>> I am looking at.
>>
>> Oh, where are the mirrors
>> That I used to know
>> Like the ones which were
>> Made thirty years ago?
>>
>> Now all things have changed
>> And I`m sure you`ll agree
>> Mirrors are not as good
>> As they used to be.
>>
>> So never be concerned,
>> If wrinkles appear
>> For one thing I`ve learned
>> Which is very clear,
>>
>> Should your complexion
>> Be less than perfection,
>> It is really the mirror
>> That needs correction!!

> So funny, and true, too! Seems the mirrors were better even
> back in the 1700s!

Seems like )) Now I wonder where we could find one ...

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 12:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> Och awa wi ye wumman, yer still a wee lassie ...
>>>

>> Ahm no wee!

> Weeeel mebbes no... but yer aylegant so yar!!!

I have my moments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 12:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Ahm no wee!

>> Weeeel mebbes no... but yer aylegant so yar!!!
>>

> I have my moments.

Willowy is how I would put it

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 12:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote

>> On 4/4/2012 11:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> The Mirror
>>> Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797, Irish Philosopher.

>>> Should your complexion
>>> Be less than perfection,
>>> It is really the mirror
>>> That needs correction!!

>> So funny, and true, too! Seems the mirrors were better even
>> back in the 1700s!

> Seems like )) Now I wonder where we could find one ...

I recently stayed at a place on vacation where I learned
the secret of a good mirror. Good lighting!!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote in message
> On 4/4/2012 12:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> So funny, and true, too! Seems the mirrors were better even
>>> back in the 1700s!

>> Seems like )) Now I wonder where we could find one ...

> I recently stayed at a place on vacation where I learned
> the secret of a good mirror. Good lighting!!

Sounds pretty good to me

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:
-snip-
>If you buy a stone, be sure you have the lifting handles, too --
>although I can't imagine a sonte being sold without them.

Mine didn't come with handles. And if it did I would have lost them
by now. I put the stone on the bottom rack of the oven several
years ago. I do take it out to clean the oven, but otherwise it
stays there.

When I roast veggies, I use that rack and think it helps caramelize
them.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2012 1:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> Weeeel mebbes no... but yer aylegant so yar!!!
>>>

>> I have my moments.

> Willowy is how I would put it

I was, in my twenties!