Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default baking stone for pizza

My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.

So since I have to go with half an inch, I might as well get a pizza
stone that's just one piece. My size restriction is 15x20 but I found
stones up to that size on the internet. Breadtopia.com has both 13
7/8" x 17 1/2" and 15" x 20", but 14 x 16 seems to be the most common
large size, so I'll toss a coin or go with the best deal if one is
significantly less.

In the mean time I'm in a quandary about what type to get. Emile
Henry looks great, but does what looks like glazed ceramic coating
really work as well as unglazed quarry tile or fire brick material? I
like my pizza crust crispy on the bottom. TIA

Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

[...]

This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack

btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:02:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks O, I saw the US version. I take it you recommend ceramic.
They seem to be the most reasonable price on the internet, but the
biggest I saw were only 12 x 15 inches. Oh, oh, oh! I just found a
14 x 16 at http://www.chefdepot.net/pizzamaking.htm for only $38.99
(others the same size are over $50). Things are looking up.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 4/3/2012 4:50 PM, sf wrote:

[...]

Don't Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards (or other bigbox 'home' stores)
have unglazed terra cotta tiles of any size???? What about local
pottery shops around the SFBA?? Just wondering.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

[...]

So long as you heat the bejeezus out of it prior to baking, it should crisp
your bottom :-)

I always put on a sprinkling of semolina on the hot stone, just to prevent
any sticking.

The several I have here are like this one.........

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html

The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for the same
price :-)

If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick metal
pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

Similar to this......

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...pizza_pan.html

--
Peter
Tasmania

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:22:21 -0500, Sky
wrote:

On 4/3/2012 4:50 PM, sf wrote:

My oven tiles are giving up the ghost. It's had enough finding a
place that will sell unglazed quarry tiles individually and I can't
find a place in town that sells the oblong ones anymore. On top of
that, they all seem to be half an inch thick, but I want thinner.

snip

Don't Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards (or other bigbox 'home' stores)
have unglazed terra cotta tiles of any size????

I don't want "any size", I want 6 in square and 3 x 6 rectangles.
They only sell tiles by the box at places like that, I've called them
and asked.

What about local
pottery shops around the SFBA?? Just wondering.

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

This is the one I have. Don't know if you get anything like it.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14706/Lake...tone-with-Rack

btw the rack is just supposed to be for carrying it.

Thanks O, I saw the US version. I take it you recommend ceramic.
They seem to be the most reasonable price on the internet, but the
biggest I saw were only 12 x 15 inches. Oh, oh, oh! I just found a
14 x 16 at http://www.chefdepot.net/pizzamaking.htm for only $38.99
(others the same size are over $50). Things are looking up.

Cool)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:27:30 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
wrote:

[...]

I'm used to doing that with the tiles.

I always put on a sprinkling of semolina on the hot stone, just to prevent
any sticking.

The several I have here are like this one.........

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html

The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for the same
price :-)

I prefer the one pictured on the right, below that image... but I
found it at a better price elsewhere.

If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick metal
pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

I already have one of those, but I don't use it.

Similar to this......

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...pizza_pan.html

That one seems to be the round version of what Ophelia has. If they
came any bigger I'd be all over it.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 2:50*pm, sf wrote:
[...]

I've had this sassafras stone for over 20 years. It is unglazed, and I
suspect the porousness may help suck water from the crust via
capillary action. The crust always turns out crispy, even with the
amount of crushed tomatoes I like on top.

My stone came as a kit with a peel and a cutter. I always make two
pizzas in a session, assembling one on the peel, and another on a
sheet of plastic meant to serve as a kneading board.

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in
news
wrote:

The several I have here are like this one.........

http://www.breadtopia.com/store/sass...zza-stone.html

The Emile Henry looks nice, but you can buy 2 of the Sassafras for
the same price :-)

I prefer the one pictured on the right, below that image... but I
found it at a better price elsewhere.

Ahhhh, you want square.

If push comes to shove, go to a kitchen store and get a non-stick
metal pizza tray that has holes in it.... they work great too.

I already have one of those, but I don't use it.

Similar to this......

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52...hole_pizza_pan
.html

That one seems to be the round version of what Ophelia has. If they
came any bigger I'd be all over it.

The one I have is about 14" across (IIRC), so they are around.

Let us know what you decide :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in
:

wrote:

"sf" wrote in message

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear &
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw
back!!!

I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

Online shopping is the only way to fly nowadays!! :-)

I just bought my BIL some wine for his b'day.

Was going to spend $129 on a case of wine with a case of beer thrown in,
but ended up getting him 3 cases of wine on an auction site.

So now he has a case of Andrew Peace `Masterpeace` Shiraz 2011 ,

a case of Pasadena `Pony Express` Syrah 2010, California, USA.

and a case of Silkwood Heritage Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Pemberton, WA.

All for exactly $129 !!!

--
Peter
Tasmania
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2012 6:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
"sf" wrote
[...]

I have a round unglazed one with a carrying rack like that. It works
very well, but after a few uses it starts to look really tacky.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2012 8:37 PM, sf wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:52:25 +0100,
wrote:

wrote in message

I don't want to waste my time, gas, plus bridge toll and put wear&
tear on the car just for $10 worth of tile. The bridge alone costs
$5. If I can find tiles within 5 miles of my house and not cross a
bridge, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's not.

Blimey!! Who knew that crossing that world famous bridge was a draw back!!!

I was talking about going to the East Bay, not the North Bay. That
one costs even more. Every time I feel sorry for myself, I feel
thankful I don't live in New York City. Bridge tolls were $10 the
last time I was there; which was 7-8 years ago.

It's $12 now.
Makes me feel old - I can remember when it was 25 cents each way.