Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Thanks for the Recommendation

Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I
read all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.

This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son
for Mothers Day.

I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a
delight to wield!

Thank you all.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I
> read all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.
>
> This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
> Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son
> for Mothers Day.
>
> I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a
> delight to wield!
>
> Thank you all.

So, can you tell the difference between spam and an honest and heartfelt
recommendation?

I knew you could.

Matthew (thanks Janet)

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:10:08 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I
>> read all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.
>>
>> This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
>> Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son
>> for Mothers Day.
>>
>> I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a
>> delight to wield!
>>
>> Thank you all.

>So, can you tell the difference between spam and an honest and heartfelt
>recommendation?
>
>I knew you could.

The principal way is to note that there isn't a link to a webstore
anywhere to be seen. Raving about a product bought at a non-specific
brick & mortar isn't at all offensive (or spam).

Nice to see.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I read
> all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.
>
> This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
> Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son for
> Mothers Day.
>
> I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a delight
> to wield!

Hi Janet,
Whenever knife sharpeners are discussed in the food groups it usually brings
out those that say the only effective way to sharpen knives is with a
Japanese whetstone. Discussion about electric sharpeners always brings
warnings that they will remove too much metal and you will soon be left with
a metal skewer with a nice handle.

Sometimes its hard to separate out those that are speaking from experience
from those that are just mimicking someone else's paranoia so your input on
this would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Zeppo wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I read
>> all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.
>>
>> This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
>> Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son for
>> Mothers Day.
>>
>> I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a delight
>> to wield!

> Hi Janet,
> Whenever knife sharpeners are discussed in the food groups it usually brings
> out those that say the only effective way to sharpen knives is with a
> Japanese whetstone. Discussion about electric sharpeners always brings
> warnings that they will remove too much metal and you will soon be left with
> a metal skewer with a nice handle.
>
> Sometimes its hard to separate out those that are speaking from experience
> from those that are just mimicking someone else's paranoia so your input on
> this would be really appreciated.

This thread has reminded me that it's time to get out the Chef's Choice
and sharpen my favourite knives.
I've had mine for many years, and am very pleased with it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Zeppo wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Several months ago there was a thread here about knife sharpeners. I read
>> all the relevant posts and digested all the suggestions.
>>
>> This week, I purchased a Chef's Choice 310 model that was on sale at
>> Kohls. I had a discount card from them and a $25 gift card from my son for
>> Mothers Day.
>>
>> I have been happily sharpening knives for days. My chef knife is a delight
>> to wield!

> Hi Janet,
> Whenever knife sharpeners are discussed in the food groups it usually brings
> out those that say the only effective way to sharpen knives is with a
> Japanese whetstone. Discussion about electric sharpeners always brings
> warnings that they will remove too much metal and you will soon be left with
> a metal skewer with a nice handle.
>
> Sometimes its hard to separate out those that are speaking from experience
> from those that are just mimicking someone else's paranoia so your input on
> this would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

I don't think the new sharpener will wear away all of my knife blades.
The slots have a magnet in them so it's very easy to get the proper
angle. Even with the "break in" routine that the manual says has to be
done when sharpening a knife for the first time, I did not see any
amounts of "filings" that would suggest that my knives are being ground
away.

OTOH, I have used a whetstone for years and years and have found that it
wears away the knife blades a bit. One slicer that belonged to my mother
has become exceedingly skinny. Both of us used a whet stone with
occasional sending off to a professional sharpener.

Everyone gets used to something. My hands are just getting too old for
the whetstone routine and I really like the electric sharpener.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.equipment

>> Hi Janet,
>> Whenever knife sharpeners are discussed in the food groups it usually
>> brings out those that say the only effective way to sharpen knives is
>> with a Japanese whetstone. Discussion about electric sharpeners always
>> brings warnings that they will remove too much metal and you will soon be
>> left with a metal skewer with a nice handle.
>>
>> Sometimes its hard to separate out those that are speaking from
>> experience from those that are just mimicking someone else's paranoia so
>> your input on this would be really appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

> I don't think the new sharpener will wear away all of my knife blades.
> The slots have a magnet in them so it's very easy to get the proper angle.
> Even with the "break in" routine that the manual says has to be done when
> sharpening a knife for the first time, I did not see any amounts of
> "filings" that would suggest that my knives are being ground away.
>
> OTOH, I have used a whetstone for years and years and have found that it
> wears away the knife blades a bit. One slicer that belonged to my mother
> has become exceedingly skinny. Both of us used a whet stone with
> occasional sending off to a professional sharpener.
>
> Everyone gets used to something. My hands are just getting too old for the
> whetstone routine and I really like the electric sharpener.

Thanks for the reply Janet. I think I know what I want for my birthday now.
:-)

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I had a Chef's Choice for many years, and it did produce a good edge on
> my knives. Did it remove too much metal? I don't know and I don't care.
> To me, a knife is a tool and can be expected to wear out. If I have had
> good service for a knife for 20 years, and it wears out, that's OK with
> me. Much better than a crappy knife that lasts forever!
>
> After the Chef's Choice I moved to the EdgePro system. It was a major
> improvement, and I will never go back. I went from "good" to "great" in
> terms of sharpness on my many knives (I am a bit of a knife nut). Aside
> from regular honing, it takes me about 1/2 hour 3 times a year to keep 8
> knives sharp enough to cut a ripe tomato into 1/16 inch slices.

Peter,
The EdgePro is a manual sharpener, right? Was there a big learning curve
going to this system from an electric sharpener?

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Zeppo wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Janet. I think I know what I want for my birthday now.
> :-)

I hope you have a happy birthday, Jon.

Janet