Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need a serious recommendation

My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
sourdough instead of yeast.

Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs to
know what is in the books.

Thanks.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does wheat free translate as gluten free ? Suggest he Googles "coeliac
bread machine recipes" then

We have a visitor that is coeliac coming in a few weeks and we aren't
allowed to use the same machine for making bread for her

Michel Boucher wrote:
> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs to
> know what is in the books.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs to
> know what is in the books.
>
> Thanks.

Sourdough *is* yeast, or specifically yeast growing in a flour slurry.
If he has a yeast allergy, sourdough will not avoid it, he will need
chemical leavening, i.e. "quick bread".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar is an expert in this field.

Michel Boucher wrote:
> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a
> store that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need
> to use sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with
> method/recipes he can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough
> from the online blurbs to know what is in the books.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
> of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
> good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>
>> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
>> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
>> sourdough instead of yeast.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
>> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs
>> know what is in the books.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Sourdough *is* yeast,

Is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well look tonight - some sourdoughs do not use yeast, but soda if I
remember correctly. Might try looking for millet instead of wheat.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Michel Boucher wrote:
> >>
> >> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> >> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> >> sourdough instead of yeast.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> >> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs
> >> know what is in the books.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Sourdough *is* yeast,

> Is not.

Is too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a
> store that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need
> to use sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with
> method/recipes he can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough
> from the online blurbs to know what is in the books.

Ask on alt.bread.recipes, you'll get much good help there...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > Michel Boucher wrote:
> >>
> >> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> >> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> >> sourdough instead of yeast.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> >> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs
> >> know what is in the books.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Sourdough *is* yeast,

> Is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

Biology and chemistry of sourdough

A sourdough starter is a stable symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast
present in a mixture of flour and water. The yeasts Candida milleri or
Saccharomyces exiguus usually populate sourdough cultures symbiotically
with Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis.[1]

[1] http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/64/7/2616
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in
ster.com:

>> > Sourdough *is* yeast,

>> Is not.

> Is too.

I've done a bit of research and sourdough is "a stable symbiotic culture of
bacteria and yeast present in a mixture of flour and water". So it is not
yeast, but it contains yeast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdou...y_of_sourdough

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in
> ster.com:

>>>Is not.

>>Is too.

> I've done a bit of research and sourdough is "a stable symbiotic culture of
> bacteria and yeast present in a mixture of flour and water". So it is not
> yeast, but it contains yeast.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdou...y_of_sourdough

Michel,

That's correct. I think they're arguing about something different
though.

Normally sourdough is produced using wild yeast, instead of
commercial yeast. If you really want a true sourdough, you either
need to start your own culture or get some from someone else.

Let me know if you need info on starting one and I'll post
it. There's also a way to make a faux sourdough from commercial
yeast that's not too bad and is easy to do.

Reg - in sf, home of Lactobacillus sanfrancisco
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte > wrote in -
september.org:

> Let me know if you need info on starting one and I'll post
> it.

Yes, that would help, thanks.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 12:37*pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. *He would also need to use
> sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> can use? *I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs to
> know what is in the books.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
> of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
> good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Breads From the La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton...she makes it very
easy to understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb > wrote in news:267a7efc-67ec-4a20-b52d-7646ea0f4190
@r24g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> Breads From the La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton...she makes it very
> easy to understand.

From what I can tell there is nothing in this book about baking wheat free.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Merryb > wrote in news:267a7efc-67ec-4a20-b52d-7646ea0f4190
> @r24g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>

>>Breads From the La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton...she makes it very
>>easy to understand.

> From what I can tell there is nothing in this book about baking wheat free.

Not a thing. Plus her method for jump starting a yeast culture is
the most involved in the history of the world. Unnecessarily so.
Nancy Silverton is an inspired artist, and as such she's something
of a nut.

Great recipes, though. Some of the best. Outside of her starter creation
method I highly recommend that book, as well as all of her others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> sourdough instead of yeast.

There is a sourdough newsgroup -- sorry, don't have the link, because I
was on it a few years back, but search your newsgroups for sourdough and
you will find it -- and they have a FAQ and some excellent web pages
created by newsgroup participants that would cover anything a book would
cover and more, because it's interactive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:41*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > "Pete C." > wrote in message
> nster.com...

> > > Sourdough *is* yeast,

> > Is not.

> Is too.

Is not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> RegForte > wrote in -
> september.org:
>

>>Let me know if you need info on starting one and I'll post
>>it.

> Yes, that would help, thanks.

Question for you. Do you need a 100% gluten free recipe?

For example, would one tablespoon of normal wheat based starter
be too much for a typical 6 oz loaf?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a
>> store that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need
>> to use sourdough instead of yeast.

> There is a sourdough newsgroup -- sorry, don't have the link, because I
> was on it a few years back, but search your newsgroups for sourdough and
> you will find it -- and they have a FAQ and some excellent web pages
> created by newsgroup participants that would cover anything a book would
> cover and more, because it's interactive.

rec.food.sourdough
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a store
> that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need to use
> sourdough instead of yeast.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book that would provide him with method/recipes he
> can use? I have looked but you can't tell enough from the online blurbs to
> know what is in the books.

I don't know from books, but I do have a really good recipe for
gluten-free white bread:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ng-white-bread

It's a strange dough to work with, and either my oven is running hot or
the baking time is overestimated, but mine usually bakes in 40 minutes
rather than the stated 50.

I can't see why he couldn't use a sourdough type starter instead of the
instant yeast shown -- I tend to use active dried yeast proofed in the
water with the sugar instead of the instant (it's expensive here).

Let me know if you or he needs any help with it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte > wrote in -
september.org:

>>>Let me know if you need info on starting one and I'll post
>>>it.

>> Yes, that would help, thanks.

> Question for you. Do you need a 100% gluten free recipe?
>
> For example, would one tablespoon of normal wheat based starter
> be too much for a typical 6 oz loaf?

I have no idea. He discovered that if he cuts wheat out of his diet, he
feels better. He can handle most meals (breakfast and dinner) but is
looking for lunch options, especially around sandwiches, which means bread,
mostly.

He has never been tested, but his overall activity level has improved
dramatically since he has taken out wheat. He would not be keen on using
wheat at all, I do know that.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 9, 4:47*pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> Merryb > wrote in news:267a7efc-67ec-4a20-b52d-7646ea0f4190
> @r24g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Breads From the La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton...she makes it very
> > easy to understand.

> From what I can tell there is nothing in this book about baking wheat free.
>
> --
>
> Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
> of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
> good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Guess I didn't read your post very closely- I was thinking sourdough...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> RegForte > wrote in -
> september.org:

>>> Yes, that would help, thanks.

>> Question for you. Do you need a 100% gluten free recipe?
>>
>> For example, would one tablespoon of normal wheat based starter
>> be too much for a typical 6 oz loaf?

> I have no idea. He discovered that if he cuts wheat out of his diet, he
> feels better. He can handle most meals (breakfast and dinner) but is
> looking for lunch options, especially around sandwiches, which means
> bread,
> mostly.
>
> He has never been tested, but his overall activity level has improved
> dramatically since he has taken out wheat. He would not be keen on using
> wheat at all, I do know that.

There were posts on alt.bread.recipes a few years back from a person who was
allergic to wheat but not its cousin spelt. Your son might want to look
into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is allergic to that. He
should really be checked by an allergist (an MD, not a quack) before so that
he can find the real culprit. He may not be a true coeliac.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in
news
> There were posts on alt.bread.recipes a few years back from a person
> who was allergic to wheat but not its cousin spelt. Your son might
> want to look into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is
> allergic to that. He should really be checked by an allergist (an MD,
> not a quack)

Are there quack allergists?

> before so that he can find the real culprit. He may not
> be a true coeliac.

Doubtful he is. We've been discussing it and he will start by doing a
bread that does not use yeast (because it's simpler) and then he will try
one with yeast.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "graham" > wrote in
> news >
>> There were posts on alt.bread.recipes a few years back from a person
>> who was allergic to wheat but not its cousin spelt. Your son might
>> want to look into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is
>> allergic to that. He should really be checked by an allergist (an MD,
>> not a quack)

> Are there quack allergists?

Without doubt! Often masquerading as naturopaths, "doctors" of natural
medicine (whatever that is) or "wholistic practitioners" (whatever they
are).

>> before so that he can find the real culprit. He may not
>> be a true coeliac.

> Doubtful he is. We've been discussing it and he will start by doing a
> bread that does not use yeast (because it's simpler) and then he will try
> one with yeast.

That's logical. Often, when people gain something from a dietary change, it
is because they are also monitoring their diet as a whole. Your son may be
blaming wheat breads but I wouldn't be surprised if he has made other
changes as well.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is allergic to that. He
> should really be checked by an allergist (an MD, not a quack) before so that
> he can find the real culprit. He may not be a true coeliac.

I second this recommendation, because a lot of people are allergic to
wheat, but that is not celiac disease.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you!

RegForte wrote:
> Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:
>
>> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>
>>> My son is thinking of making his own bread as he has no access to a
>>> store that sells wheat free bread where he lives. He would also need
>>> to use sourdough instead of yeast.

>> There is a sourdough newsgroup -- sorry, don't have the link, because
>> I was on it a few years back, but search your newsgroups for sourdough
>> and you will find it -- and they have a FAQ and some excellent web
>> pages created by newsgroup participants that would cover anything a
>> book would cover and more, because it's interactive.

> rec.food.sourdough

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

> graham wrote:
>
> > into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is allergic to that. He
> > should really be checked by an allergist (an MD, not a quack) before so
> > that
> > he can find the real culprit. He may not be a true coeliac.

> I second this recommendation, because a lot of people are allergic to
> wheat, but that is not celiac disease.

Yep, I'm one of them.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Michel Boucher > wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in
> news >
> > There were posts on alt.bread.recipes a few years back from a person
> > who was allergic to wheat but not its cousin spelt. Your son might
> > want to look into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is
> > allergic to that. He should really be checked by an allergist (an MD,
> > not a quack)

> Are there quack allergists?

Yes. One here told a friend of mine to stop eating corn and to drink
only "diet" soda, on the grounds that the full-sugar soda is made with
corn syrup.

Except that's not the case in New Zealand.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> Title: Banana Bread (Wheat Free)
> Categories: Breadmaker, Breads
> Yield: 1 Servings
>
> 2 1/4 ts Yeast
> Dry group:
> 1/2 c Gluten
> 1 c Kamut flour

Some people who can't eat wheat also can't eat kamut. I'm among that
number. It's worth a crack but it's not guaranteed to be okay.

(And I'd leave out the gluten flour unless it's specifically labelled as
wheat-free.)

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:26:47 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in
> news >
>> There were posts on alt.bread.recipes a few years back from a person
>> who was allergic to wheat but not its cousin spelt. Your son might
>> want to look into that. As for the yeast, I dought that he is
>> allergic to that. He should really be checked by an allergist (an MD,
>> not a quack)

> Are there quack allergists?
>
>> before so that he can find the real culprit. He may not
>> be a true coeliac.

> Doubtful he is. We've been discussing it and he will start by doing a
> bread that does not use yeast (because it's simpler) and then he will try
> one with yeast.

that seems to be the most sensible approach, michel. good luck to him in
any case.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:54:06 -0500, Michel Boucher wrote:

> Miche > wrote in news:micheinnz-
> :
>
>> Yes. One here told a friend of mine to stop eating corn and to drink
>> only "diet" soda, on the grounds that the full-sugar soda is made with
>> corn syrup.
>>
>> Except that's not the case in New Zealand.

> Or in Canada. Good old Cuban sugar :-)

****ing communist.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in
:

>> Or in Canada. Good old Cuban sugar :-)

> ****ing communist.

Only to the uninitiated but what the hell...as long as it scares the
bejaysus out of those dexter master baiters, go with it.