Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Spoons

OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:56:53 -0500, "SA" >
wrote:

>OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
>don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
>with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
>Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
>the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

Stick toy using your fingers and don't worry about it.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"SA" > wrote in message
> OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

Life is cruel sometimes
Oh, oh
So cruel
Those damn restauranteurs
Always ****in' with us
No spoons, no sporks
Only knifes, and ****in' forks
How can I eat my peas
Give me a spoon I won't say please
Life is so cruuuuuel

Posted to rec.food.equipment

SA wrote:
> OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

Why do you want to scrape the potato out of the skin? Don't like the
skins? Eat the skin and all and there's no problem. Whoever ate potatoes
with a spoon, except infants? Like wise corn - I've NEVER seen anybody
have a problem with eating corn with a fork. If you do, just mix the
corn with the potato and eat them both together. I mean after all,
they're going into the same stomach and coming out the same bung hole,
right?

Two forks - one's for the salad and the other is for eating dinner. You
start from the outside and work inwards with eating utensils when you
eat out (or even if you are still living with your parents at home).

And yes, all restaurants except for BK, Taco Belch, and other fast food
places give one the basic fork/knife/spoon set. What you may not get is
a soup spoon, because not everyone eats soup.

Gads, what a douche bag!
--
Jack
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jack wrote:
> SA wrote:
>> OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many
>> restaurants don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked
>> potato or corn with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the
>> skin with a fork?? Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for?
>> What ever happened to the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and
>> knife?
>>

> Why do you want to scrape the potato out of the skin? Don't like the
> skins? Eat the skin and all and there's no problem. Whoever ate potatoes
> with a spoon, except infants? Like wise corn - I've NEVER seen anybody
> have a problem with eating corn with a fork. If you do, just mix the
> corn with the potato and eat them both together. I mean after all,
> they're going into the same stomach and coming out the same bung hole,
> right?
>
> Two forks - one's for the salad and the other is for eating dinner. You
> start from the outside and work inwards with eating utensils when you
> eat out (or even if you are still living with your parents at home).
>
> And yes, all restaurants except for BK, Taco Belch, and other fast food
> places give one the basic fork/knife/spoon set. What you may not get is
> a soup spoon, because not everyone eats soup.
>
> Gads, what a douche bag!

Well, I agree with the OP. Why a spoon for a baked potato?
Because I prefer to scrape out the potato, put some butter,
S&P in side the skin and eat it that way. If I don't finish
the insides I really don't care but don't mess with my skin
"boats".

Some people don't like mixing different things, i.e. corn
and taters. I'm not one of 'em but my BIL absolutely
refuses to let one thing even *touch* another. A little
weird? To me, yup. To him, nope. And I really don't give a
rats asshole, he's eating it why should I care.

I wouldn't know about BK, TB, etc as I haven't been to or
eaten from a fast food puke joint in about 20 years but we
go to a place which is a pretty nice place that makes a
great clam dish in a saffron broth. The broth is to die
for... but they never give me a freekin' spoon! I always
have to ask.

Yell all you want at me too, but the OP's right.

--
Steve

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

On Sep 27, 12:39 pm, Don Salad > wrote:
> "SA" > wrote:
>
> > OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> > don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> > with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> > Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> > the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

> Eat the skin!
>
> Thanks,
> Don

My sentiments exactly.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sep 27, 4:56 am, "SA" > wrote:
> OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

(with tongue partially in cheek) Unless you are having soup, coffee,
iced tea, soft-boiled eggs, pudding, eating family style, having Tony
Bourdain's 'Last Meal' or making your own pot of tea at the table
there is no proper ecological reason to put one out. While there are
dinner knives and dinner forks, there is no dinner spoon. There are
soup spoons, demitasse spoons, iced tea spoons, egg spoons, dessert
spoons, table spoons, marrow spoons and tea spoons; but, alas, to
repeat myself, no such thing as a dinner spoon (unless you frequent
the base mess or certain take-away joints where the institutional
crossbreed called a spork can sometimes be spotted).

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

"Don Salad" > wrote in message
d.net...
> "SA" > wrote:
>>
>> OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
>> don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
>> with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a
>> fork??

> Eat the skin!

Then he'd have to buy toilet paper instead.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

On Sep 27, 2:39 pm, Don Salad > wrote:
> "SA" > wrote:
>
> > OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> > don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> > with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> > Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> > the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

> Eat the fork. Save your skin!

IF&c.

--
YOP...

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology
jes jes is offline

One reason for not eating potato skins is they can be toxic: When
you're served a potato in a restaurant you have no idea how old it
was, how green it was, or how hot it got during cooking which, note,
only partially destroys the toxic compound.

Wikipedia:

Potatoes contain glycoalkaloids, toxic compounds, of which the most
prevalent are solanine and chaconine. Cooking at high temperatures
(over 170 °C or 340 °F) partly destroys these. The concentration of
glycoalkaloid in wild potatoes suffices to produce toxic effects in
humans. Glycoalkaloids occur in the greatest concentrations just
underneath the skin of the tuber, and they increase with age and
exposure to light. Glycoalkaloids may cause headaches, diarrhea,
cramps and in severe cases coma and death; however, poisoning from
potatoes occurs very rarely. Light exposure also causes greening, thus
giving a visual clue as to areas of the tuber that may have become
more toxic; however, this does not provide a definitive guide, as
greening and glycoalkaloid accumulation can occur independently of
each other. Some varieties of potato contain greater glycoalkaloid
concentrations than others; breeders developing new varieties test for
this, and sometimes have to discard an otherwise promising cultivar.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:10:45 -0700, jes > wrote:

>One reason for not eating potato skins is they can be toxic: When
>you're served a potato in a restaurant you have no idea how old it
>was, how green it was, or how hot it got during cooking ....

Similar concerns apply to everything you eat without preparing it
yourself. Either you trust the chef, or you should eat at home.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Yell all you want at me too, but the OP's right.

I can tell you that SOME restaurants DO give you a spoon. Like the one
I used to work at as a second job. A privately owned place in St.
Charles, MO called Trailhead Brewing Company.

But the reason some restaurants don't distribute spoons is that it
reduces silverware cleaning costs to not clean spoons that were never
used. Those restaurants will give you a spoon a request, but then they
will wash a spoon that was actually used.

It may seem silly, thinking that spoons are small, and so washing them
may not seem a big deal. But it is like pennies. One penny isn't much.
A handful of pennies may add up to a small bit. A truckload of pennies
might be enough for a nice vacation, but the volume is noticeable. A
few spoons is not much. But a silverware tray of spoons is significant.
And many cities have health codes that mandate all silverware be double
washed. If the silverware is mixed, it then all has to be separated,
stored, and if the place in question wraps its silverware inside the
napkin, then that is an extra set of motions for each napkin. All those
extra bits add to labor, and thus to labor costs.

Grumble as much as you want, but when the impact is a bottom line jolt
to satisfy that one in 300 customers when anyone can ask for a spoon and
only those who want one will dirty one, and it should be clear why
management has made this decision.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

In article . com>,
Rachel > wrote:

> On Sep 27, 12:39 pm, Don Salad > wrote:
> > "SA" > wrote:
> >
> > > OK what's with spoons in restaurants? Why is it that so many restaurants
> > > don't put out spoons? Like they expect you to eat a baked potato or corn
> > > with a fork? How much potato can you scrape out of the skin with a fork??
> > > Then give you 2 forks. What the hell is that for? What ever happened to
> > > the good old days when you got a fork, spoon and knife?

> > Eat the skin!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Don

> My sentiments exactly.

For what it's worth, I do like the skin, also. Not only is it tasty,
but that membrane between the skin and the bulk of the potato is also
the most nutritional part of said potato.

But if some like to scrape the insides and then eat the skin separately,
who am I to object. Just give them a spoon on request and be happy with
your own potato.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:

> Grumble as much as you want, but when the impact is a bottom line jolt
> to satisfy that one in 300 customers when anyone can ask for a spoon and
> only those who want one will dirty one, and it should be clear why
> management has made this decision.
>
> jt

Then I avoid those cheap a**ed places. I'm going out to
dinner because I don't *want* to cook or do dishes. I cook
most every night. Give me a freekin' spoon or I'll go
somewhere else. Geeze.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Then I avoid those cheap a**ed places. I'm going out to
> dinner because I don't *want* to cook or do dishes. I cook
> most every night. Give me a freekin' spoon or I'll go
> somewhere else. Geeze.

That is your prerogative as a consumer. The power of choice!

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message

> It may seem silly, thinking that spoons are small, and so washing them
> may not seem a big deal. But it is like pennies. One penny isn't much.
> A handful of pennies may add up to a small bit. A truckload of pennies
> might be enough for a nice vacation, but the volume is noticeable. A
> few spoons is not much. But a silverware tray of spoons is significant.
> And many cities have health codes that mandate all silverware be double
> washed. If the silverware is mixed, it then all has to be separated,
> stored, and if the place in question wraps its silverware inside the
> napkin, then that is an extra set of motions for each napkin. All those
> extra bits add to labor, and thus to labor costs.
>
> Grumble as much as you want, but when the impact is a bottom line jolt
> to satisfy that one in 300 customers when anyone can ask for a spoon and
> only those who want one will dirty one, and it should be clear why
> management has made this decision.
>
> jt

Yep, it may sound silly, but when I ordered a Dos XXX and was asked "Do you
want a glass?" and didn't get one, I won't be going back -- it could've been
the wait-person's decision -- or yet, it could've been management's!!!!
Plopping a bottle of beer down in front of a 70+ year-old woman is not my
idea of even a pizza joint's management decision. At any rate, the pizza
wasn't that special either. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.religion.kibology

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.religion.kibology.]
On 2007-09-28, jes > wrote:
> One reason for not eating potato skins is they can be toxic: When
> you're served a potato in a restaurant you have no idea how old it
> was, how green it was, or how hot it got during cooking which, note,
> only partially destroys the toxic compound.
>
> Wikipedia:
>
> Potatoes contain glycoalkaloids, toxic compounds, of which the most
> prevalent are solanine and chaconine. Cooking at high temperatures
> (over 170 °C or 340 °F) partly destroys these. The concentration of
> glycoalkaloid in wild potatoes suffices to produce toxic effects in
> humans. Glycoalkaloids occur in the greatest concentrations just
> underneath the skin of the tuber, and they increase with age and
> exposure to light. Glycoalkaloids may cause headaches, diarrhea,
> cramps and in severe cases coma and death; however, poisoning from
> potatoes occurs very rarely. Light exposure also causes greening, thus
> giving a visual clue as to areas of the tuber that may have become
> more toxic; however, this does not provide a definitive guide, as
> greening and glycoalkaloid accumulation can occur independently of
> each other. Some varieties of potato contain greater glycoalkaloid
> concentrations than others; breeders developing new varieties test for
> this, and sometimes have to discard an otherwise promising cultivar.

Dibs on the band name Glycoalkaloids.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> Yep, it may sound silly, but when I ordered a Dos XXX and was asked "Do
> you want a glass?" and didn't get one, I won't be going back -- it
> could've been the wait-person's decision -- or yet, it could've been
> management's!!!!
> Plopping a bottle of beer down in front of a 70+ year-old woman is not my
> idea of even a pizza joint's management decision. At any rate, the pizza
> wasn't that special either. :-))
> Dee Dee

The Dos XXX makes it an exception. Seems a lot of people add the lime wedge
and use the bottle instead of a glass. Any other brand I'd say they were
wrong.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> Yep, it may sound silly, but when I ordered a Dos XXX and was asked "Do you
> want a glass?" and didn't get one, I won't be going back -- it could've been
> the wait-person's decision -- or yet, it could've been management's!!!!
> Plopping a bottle of beer down in front of a 70+ year-old woman is not my
> idea of even a pizza joint's management decision.

That sounds to me more like the server forgot your answer and just
didn't bring it. I hope you cut the tip to reflect the poor service.

> At any rate, the pizza
> wasn't that special either. :-))

That is more a good reason to not go back.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>>
>> Yep, it may sound silly, but when I ordered a Dos XXX and was asked "Do
>> you want a glass?" and didn't get one, I won't be going back -- it
>> could've been the wait-person's decision -- or yet, it could've been
>> management's!!!!
>> Plopping a bottle of beer down in front of a 70+ year-old woman is not my
>> idea of even a pizza joint's management decision. At any rate, the pizza
>> wasn't that special either. :-))
>> Dee Dee

> The Dos XXX makes it an exception. Seems a lot of people add the lime
> wedge and use the bottle instead of a glass. Any other brand I'd say they
> were wrong.

I thought the wedge was for a Corona; == well, of course, it could be for
Dos XXX, too -- but I was not offered a lime wedge either.
This gal didn't have a clue!
Thanks for your response, Ed.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 02:40:41 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>But the reason some restaurants don't distribute spoons is that it
>reduces silverware cleaning costs to not clean spoons that were never
>used. Those restaurants will give you a spoon a request....

Restaurants, including the very finest -- e.g., the French Laundry,
Topolobampo, and the Inn at Little Washington -- don't ever put out
full, formal silverware settings any more. They put out the implements
needed for the next course.

But any decent restaurant should automatic ally lay out a spoon
whenever the next course calls for one. And if you are clumsy, and
wouild prefer a spoon for some foodstuff that most people handle with
a fork, they should give you one upon request, making which you
shouldn't view as a hardship.

If not, eat at a better restaurant.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> I thought the wedge was for a Corona; == well, of course, it could be for
> Dos XXX, too -- but I was not offered a lime wedge either.

the lime is for any beer packaged in clear or green bottles; it helps cover
the skunked taste from sunlight reacting with the hops. i was told that
miller (in clear bottles) has some how bred their hops to not react w/
sunlight.

joe

who does like a lemon or lime squeezed into a lawnmower beer on a hot day.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> Yell all you want at me too, but the OP's right.

> I can tell you that SOME restaurants DO give you a spoon. Like the one
> I used to work at as a second job. A privately owned place in St.
> Charles, MO called Trailhead Brewing Company.
>
> But the reason some restaurants don't distribute spoons is that it
> reduces silverware cleaning costs to not clean spoons that were never
> used. Those restaurants will give you a spoon a request, but then they
> will wash a spoon that was actually used.

Well, that's why I brought up the second fork. If they're so worried about
water cost, then why the second fork? I think I can use my salad fork for
my steak.

Also, common sense would say that forks are for stabbing things like steak,
chicken etc. Or for holding something while you're cutting it. Spoons are
for scooping things up that you can't stab to easily - like potatos and
corn. If you had the option to scoop up a spoon full of corn with a spoon
or scoop up a couple kernels of corn with a fork which makes more sense?
Duhhh!

An yes, I can ask for a spoon, but why should I have to? Would most people
be upset it they didn't put out any silverware unless asked for?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"SA" > wrote:

> Well, that's why I brought up the second fork. If they're so worried about
> water cost, then why the second fork? I think I can use my salad fork for
> my steak.

Many people don't like to reuse a salad fork. There is a social norm
that mandates a separate fork for the salad and the main course.

> Spoons are
> for scooping things up that you can't stab to easily - like potatos and
> corn. If you had the option to scoop up a spoon full of corn with a spoon
> or scoop up a couple kernels of corn with a fork which makes more sense?

I rarely see adults use a spoon on either corn or potatoes, but I do see
kids occasionally us a spoon on these. Again, I stree Occasionally for
kids. Most kids even use forks. Whether you feel it makes more sense
or not, the simple fact is that most people don't spoon in public.
Their corn that is.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

SA wrote:

>> When I was brewing, my beer sat in the basement in a closet that usually
>> was around 60dF. The second worst thing you can do to a *good* beer (read
>> as: not anything you'll buy in a store in the US) is to put it into a
>> refrigerator!
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> Not me! I want my beer frosty cold! In a frozen mug if possible.

This is *not* a shot at you, really. But have you every
actually had a *good* homebrewed beer? Making a beer that
cold serves one purpose and that's to cover up the nasty
tastes left over from quick brewing and quick aging
techniques used by the commercial companies. Absolutely the
worst possible thing that you can do to a real beer, one
that would be able to legally be called beer in Germany.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> But have you every actually had a *good* homebrewed beer?

No, not one that was not cold.

> Making a beer that cold serves one purpose and that's to cover up the
> nasty tastes left over from quick brewing and quick aging techniques used
> by the commercial companies. Absolutely the worst possible thing that you
> can do to a real beer, one that would be able to legally be called beer in
> Germany.

I guess I'm not much of a beer lover. I like mine cold, I like Pilsner and
Lager, but I detest Guinness. I had some once when I saw in on a menu at a
pizza place and figured I'd give it a try. Not even halfway through, I
ordered a Coke.

Matter of taste. Some of my friends that drink the heavy dark beers don't
like my favorite wines.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:12:05 -0500, "SA" >
wrote:

>.... If you had the option to scoop up a spoon full of corn with a spoon
>or scoop up a couple kernels of corn with a fork which makes more sense?

The fork. Spoons are meant for foods with some liquid content, so that
lips wipe smoothly across the surface. Without liquid content, lips
stick to the spoon's surface,making them awkward to use.

Forks don't exhibit this problem, since they have much less surface
area.

(Not only is this a really dumb thread, but it would be much more
appropriate in rec.food.restaurants...)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:

> (Not only is this a really dumb thread, but it would be much more
> appropriate in rec.food.restaurants...)
>
> -- Larry

So don't read it. Like it or not, a spoon is a piece of
equipment for dealing with food.

--
Steve

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> But have you every actually had a *good* homebrewed beer?

> No, not one that was not cold.
>
>> Making a beer that cold serves one purpose and that's to cover up the
>> nasty tastes left over from quick brewing and quick aging techniques used
>> by the commercial companies. Absolutely the worst possible thing that you
>> can do to a real beer, one that would be able to legally be called beer in
>> Germany.

> I guess I'm not much of a beer lover. I like mine cold, I like Pilsner and
> Lager, but I detest Guinness. I had some once when I saw in on a menu at a
> pizza place and figured I'd give it a try. Not even halfway through, I
> ordered a Coke.
>
> Matter of taste. Some of my friends that drink the heavy dark beers don't
> like my favorite wines.

Oh, I'm with you on the Guiness. Blech. About the heaviest
I go would be in a Sam Adams style Lager. Have you ever
had a true homebrew or a beer in Germany? The stuff that
you can buy commercially in the US (at least around here)
doesn't qualify as good beer and I want that cold too just
because it tastes like sh*t when it's around 50dF or so.
You've gotta take it down to around 35-40dF to hind all of
the tastes that shouldn't be there in the first place.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Beer: Was: Spoons

Peter A wrote:

>> When I was brewing, my beer sat in the basement in a closet
>> that usually was around 60dF. The second worst thing you
>> can do to a *good* beer (read as: not anything you'll buy in
>> a store in the US) is to put it into a refrigerator!
>>

> You missed the sarcasm - who leaves beer sitting in the sun?
>
> In any case, that's a truly ignorant definition of "good beer." Sounds
> like beer snobbery at work.

No, it's called being able to actually taste something
that's good instead of techno-brewed crap. Sounds like a
case of you really need to try a *good* beer.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> Oh, I'm with you on the Guiness. Blech. About the heaviest I go would be
> in a Sam Adams style Lager. Have you ever had a true homebrew or a beer
> in Germany?

I have not.

I used to think Scotch was nasty tasting liquor until I tried a good single
malt so the warmer beer may be the same type of situation. I'll keep an
open mind until I do.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> If you really
> ever want to taste REAL beer, make some yourself instead of
> wallowing over to your 35dF fridge and pulling out
> Budweisers. To f'ing hysterical. And I USED to think you
> actually were a reasonable person. Live and learn

OK, I've tried homebrews (a term that means homemade Atari games more
than homemade beer, as far as I'm concerned, but I digress). All three
of the people who tried home brewing have since given up the art,
because none of them made what they considered a decent brew, and I have
to agree. Making beer is a challenge. Making good beer is very hard.
Making great beer is for the few, the proud, the handful who are willing
to put the daily effort into it that it requires.

Now, I also worked at a Micro-Brewery here in St. Louis, Trailhead
Brewing Company. Wonderful beers, and over the years, they have won
some awards at various regional and national competitions. Here in St.
Louis, they pioneered the Spiced Pumpkin Ale, now their best selling
seasonal brew annually. The success has drawn in O'Fallon Brewery and
Schafely's, two other micro breweries in the area, who both now make
their own Pumpkin Ales, and do well with them. Even the mighty AB
(world HQ is here in StL) has taken notice, and they now produce a
pumpkin beer in their micro brewery division that is only sold in select
bars and pubs.

I state the previous to indicate that the Micro Brewery I worked at has
gained recognition as a brewery that knows what they are doing.

That said, they serve their brews COLD. The serving tanks are kept at
34 degree F, and the taps have a chiller coil that brings the beer to 28
degrees F when the weather is warm to hot out, and keeps it at 34 when
its cold out. Even at 34, it is still quite cold. And these beers
taste crisper, more refreshing at the colder temperature.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:

> OK, I've tried homebrews (a term that means homemade Atari games more
> than homemade beer, as far as I'm concerned, but I digress). All three
> of the people who tried home brewing have since given up the art,
> because none of them made what they considered a decent brew, and I have
> to agree. Making beer is a challenge. Making good beer is very hard.
> Making great beer is for the few, the proud, the handful who are willing
> to put the daily effort into it that it requires.

Boy, no argument there. But, it does have it's rewards.
The thing that most people mess up is that they don't true
sterilize the equipment. If that's not done properly, I
don't care what you do, you're not going to turn out a
decent brew.

> Now, I also worked at a Micro-Brewery here in St. Louis, Trailhead
> Brewing Company. Wonderful beers, and over the years, they have won
> some awards at various regional and national competitions. Here in St.
> Louis, they pioneered the Spiced Pumpkin Ale, now their best selling
> seasonal brew annually. The success has drawn in O'Fallon Brewery and
> Schafely's, two other micro breweries in the area, who both now make
> their own Pumpkin Ales, and do well with them. Even the mighty AB
> (world HQ is here in StL) has taken notice, and they now produce a
> pumpkin beer in their micro brewery division that is only sold in select
> bars and pubs.

Ah, Pumpkin beer.... There's a local brewery here that make
that - excellent. But phew, you don't want many.

> I state the previous to indicate that the Micro Brewery I worked at has
> gained recognition as a brewery that knows what they are doing.
>
> That said, they serve their brews COLD. The serving tanks are kept at
> 34 degree F, and the taps have a chiller coil that brings the beer to 28
> degrees F when the weather is warm to hot out, and keeps it at 34 when
> its cold out. Even at 34, it is still quite cold. And these beers
> taste crisper, more refreshing at the colder temperature.
>
> jt

Then something's not right. Serving beer cold hides it's
true taste, period. It's a fact. Google it. If it tastes
better at 34dF than at 50dF then it's an inferior beer.

Beer snob, I'm not. I'll drink Bud or whatever but I want
that cold. When I get a chance to have a quality beer,
brewed in the true sense of brewing, I want it around 50dF.

YMMV, but I suggest you try it. If it tastes bad at 50dF,
it's not a truly good beer.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Peter A wrote:
> In article >, says...
>> ROTFLMAO, Beer snob?!? ME? You're an asshole. If you really
>> ever want to taste REAL beer, make some yourself instead of
>> wallowing over to your 35dF fridge and pulling out
>> Budweisers. To f'ing hysterical. And I USED to think you
>> actually were a reasonable person. Live and learn
>>

> See what I mean? You know nothing about me or my experience with beer,
> yet you freely fling insults around (Budweiser, please!). Another dead
> giveaway is that you use the phrase "real beer" - which of course only
> you can know about.
>
> The fact is that I brewed my own beer for many years, with great success
> - and I would no sooner drink a beer at 35 degrees than I would a good
> red wine. I have also traveled extensively in Germany and England and
> had a lot of fun trying the local beers and ales. I bet I know a lot
> more about the subject than you do - and one of the things I know is
> that you can most certainly buy good, and even great, beer in US stores.
> Yet you claim this is impossible.
>
> You may respond to me if you wish, but I will neither read it nor
> respond. You have painted yourself into the "moron corner" and there you
> shall remain. Of course, there's always the chance that you are a
> mature, intelligent adult who will admit your mistake, but I am not
> betting on it.

And might I add that you also know nothing about me or my
experience with beer. Are you a QUALIFIED beer judge? I
thought not.

If you'd brewed for years you wouldn't be spouting the crap
that you expect people to believe. And THEN on top of that
to do the typical "I'm not going to read or respond" crap,
how quaint.

I'll go heads up with you on knowledge of beer and it's
brewing with you any time sparkie!

--
Steve

Measuring spoons graham[_4_] General Cooking 15 12-03-2016 11:38 PM
Fork 'n spoons Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 29 29-02-2012 09:54 PM
SPOONS Sheldon General Cooking 8 04-03-2006 03:06 AM
Got my olivewood spoons! Nancy Young General Cooking 14 14-08-2005 12:47 PM
spoons zoe Restaurants 7 14-11-2003 11:02 PM