Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Silicone whisks

Sorry if this has come up before. Has anyone used silicone whisks and
found they don't do a very good job? I was going to buy a set but one
reviewer said they drag on the bottom of the saucepan and don't whisk
the stuff in the corners.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Apr 8, 1:45 pm, "limey" > wrote:
> Sorry if this has come up before. Has anyone used silicone whisks and
> found they don't do a very good job? I was going to buy a set but one
> reviewer said they drag on the bottom of the saucepan and don't whisk
> the stuff in the corners.
>
> Dora

Dora, I bought the tools for use of the non-stick calphalon pans when
I bought them. One of the tools was a whisk, which I assume is what
you are referring to. They were black. I did not like the piano-whisk
at all; the strings were too large. I agree that they don't whisk
stuff in the corners. I just found it inadequate for about any job I
was doing.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:45:56 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

>.... Has anyone used silicone whisks and
>found they don't do a very good job? I was going to buy a set but one
>reviewer said they drag on the bottom of the saucepan...

They don't drag on my non-stick pans, and why would one use a silicone whisk on
anything else?

>... and don't whisk the stuff in the corners.

That is purely a function of the type of whisk. Use the right whisk and there's
no problem. Use a spherical whisk into a corner of smaller radius and there's a
problem.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:

limey wrote:
>> ... and don't whisk the stuff in the corners.

> That is purely a function of the type of whisk. Use the right whisk
> and there's no problem. Use a spherical whisk into a corner of
> smaller radius and there's a problem.
>
> -- Larry

It's a set of three spherical whisks of varying sizes, so I'll save my
money.
Thanks.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 23:15:04 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

>limey wrote:
>>> ... and don't whisk the stuff in the corners.

>> That is purely a function of the type of whisk. Use the right whisk
>> and there's no problem. Use a spherical whisk into a corner of
>> smaller radius and there's a problem.
>>
>> -- Larry

>It's a set of three spherical whisks of varying sizes, so I'll save my
>money.

If that's your primary concern, you should be able to get a synthetic flat whisk
for five or six dollars from Oxo or othermakers. They get right into the
corners. That's what I use for making scrambled eggs.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article <oT9Sh.6188$Rg2.5514@trndny02>, "limey" >
wrote:

> Sorry if this has come up before. Has anyone used silicone whisks and
> found they don't do a very good job? I was going to buy a set but one
> reviewer said they drag on the bottom of the saucepan and don't whisk
> the stuff in the corners.

Mine is metal coated with silicon. The weight and balance are
excellent. I use it only in a non-stick pan and it works very well. In
contrast, I first used a synthetic (plastic of some sort) whisk and
found it to be very ineffective. The material was just all wrong for a
whisk.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Emma Thackery wrote:
> In article <oT9Sh.6188$Rg2.5514@trndny02>, "limey" >
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this has come up before. Has anyone used silicone whisks and
>> found they don't do a very good job? I was going to buy a set but one
>> reviewer said they drag on the bottom of the saucepan and don't whisk
>> the stuff in the corners.

> Mine is metal coated with silicon. The weight and balance are
> excellent. I use it only in a non-stick pan and it works very well. In
> contrast, I first used a synthetic (plastic of some sort) whisk and
> found it to be very ineffective. The material was just all wrong for a
> whisk.

I use a nylon whisk for non-stick and mixing my sourdough starter. I
can't imagine the need for silicone.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Silicone moulds graham[_4_] General Cooking 25 21-12-2015 09:22 PM
silicone bakeware? Dawn General Cooking 4 19-11-2006 09:14 PM
silicone brushes readandpostrosie General Cooking 15 17-04-2006 04:34 PM
SILICONE COOKWARE General Cooking 7 28-09-2005 08:52 PM
Silicone Becca General Cooking 18 14-12-2004 02:23 AM