Default SILICONE COOKWARE

I keep pausing at the silicone baking pans display in WalMart.

Muffin pans, bundt pans, etc....red and blue.

Flash in the pan ? or serious cookware ?

It looks like the only prob would be its flexibility.

Has anyone experimented with this product ?
( I need reasons to go buy the stuff )

<rj>
Mary

<RJ> wrote:
> I keep pausing at the silicone baking pans display in WalMart.
>
> Muffin pans, bundt pans, etc....red and blue.
>
> Flash in the pan ? or serious cookware ?
>
> It looks like the only prob would be its flexibility.
>
> Has anyone experimented with this product ?
> ( I need reasons to go buy the stuff )
>
> <rj>

I picked up a bundt pan several months ago when for some reason the
price tempoprarily dropped to within reason (less than $4!). It works
very well. You have to grease it thoroughly before using it, and the
cake is a wee bit shorter than when in a traditional bundt pan. And
it's a pan to be hand washed and not put into a dishwasher. On the
definite up side is that the cake slides out of the pan beautifully!
(I have NEVER had any luck with a traditional bundt pan, and finally
planted some petunias in mine and put it on the back porch.) I don't
plan to purchase any more of this bakeware since I have everything else
they sell in the traditional bakeware, have very good success with the
traditional stuff (which is paid for), and the silicone pans are
terribly expensive. But I'm glad some idiot in the grocery store
dropped the price on the bundt pans for a week!

~patches~

<RJ> wrote:

> I keep pausing at the silicone baking pans display in WalMart.
>
> Muffin pans, bundt pans, etc....red and blue.
>
> Flash in the pan ? or serious cookware ?
>
> It looks like the only prob would be its flexibility.
>
> Has anyone experimented with this product ?
> ( I need reasons to go buy the stuff )
>
> <rj>

I have a silicone muffin pan and baking sheet. I'm happy with their
performance. My muffin pan came with a metal rack so flexibility when
putting in or removing from the oven isn't a problem.
Andy

Mary wrote:

> I picked up a bundt pan several months ago when for some reason the
> price tempoprarily dropped to within reason (less than $4!). It works
> very well. You have to grease it thoroughly before using it, and the
> cake is a wee bit shorter than when in a traditional bundt pan. And
> it's a pan to be hand washed and not put into a dishwasher. On the
> definite up side is that the cake slides out of the pan beautifully!
> (I have NEVER had any luck with a traditional bundt pan, and finally
> planted some petunias in mine and put it on the back porch.)

Here's a trick that came with a lemonaide bundt cake recipe. Soak a
kitchen towel with cold water in the sink and when finished cooking seat
the bundt pan on the towel. After a few seconds of "shock?" it will
release the cake. Low tech from long ago.

I have the 8x8 pan for cornbread and small casseroles and some silicon
basting brushes.

One major goof on my part was forgetting that the silicon gets every bit
as hot as any other oven bakeware does. OUCH!

Andy
Pandora

"<RJ>" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I keep pausing at the silicone baking pans display in WalMart.
>
> Muffin pans, bundt pans, etc....red and blue.
>
> Flash in the pan ? or serious cookware ?
>
> It looks like the only prob would be its flexibility.
>
> Has anyone experimented with this product ?
> ( I need reasons to go buy the stuff )

Yes I have experimented! I use for flans, but you must pay attention because
when you take the silicone pan out of the oven , it could broken the flan or
the cake (because is too soft).!!!
So I prefer the traditional one for baking.
Anyway, they go well for aspic or puddings and everything you put in the
fridge!
Cheers
Pandora

> <rj>

Hello RJ:

We find the baking sheets to be very useful, except that they generally
have to sit on a regular sheet for support. But they are by-golly
nonstick and the cookies and such slide right off.

A slightly different use for the baking sheet: We often lay a mixture
of cheeses and cold cuts onto a flattened piece of bread dough, then
fold to cover and seal the dough (I know there's a name for this stuff
but anyway....). It used to be kinda difficult to lift the assembled
gigantic sandwich-to-be-thing and place it on a cookie sheet. Now I
lay down the silicone baking sheet, dust with a bit of flour, roll out
the dough, lay down cheese and meat, then just fold up the dough and
seal, on the baking sheet. The silicone doesn't hold onto the dough if
dusted lightly with flour, and it's easy to place the baking sheet on
another sheet, let rise, slide it in the oven.

Loaf pan releases nicely, it's great for bread or meatloaf.

Bundt pans....another matter. We have two. They like to stick. I
think they truly enjoy destroying the cakes baked therein. I am
morally certain that when I leave the kitchen, those silicone Bundt
pans cackle with glee because they were able to hold onto the top of
the cake and allow the bottom to drop out neatly. Spray or grease
seems to be required.

Best -- Terry

Chris

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I keep pausing at the silicone baking pans display in WalMart.
>
> Muffin pans, bundt pans, etc....red and blue.
>
> Flash in the pan ? or serious cookware ?
>
> It looks like the only prob would be its flexibility.

I have a mini-muffin pan. It's red, and I got it at Bed, Bath and
Beyond. My old mini-muffin pans (non-stick) are starting to lose their
non-stick properties, so I wanted to experiment with one silicone pan
before replacing.

I spray with Pam, and they come out easiliy most of the time. Sometimes
I have to poke them from the opposite side a bit, but that's not a big
deal to me. Cleanup in the dishwasher works well. I hate cleaning out
the no-longer-non-stick metal pans, so this was a big plus.

The flexibility (wiggliness) is a bit of a pain. I put the pan on a
cookie sheet to bake, which I'm not crazy about. The main problem,
though, is that the mini-muffin cups are smaller than my existing pan.
They are mini-mini-muffins. So I can get 2 dozen regular mini-muffins
out of most of my muffin recipes (maybe a bit more) with my metal pans,
but with the silicone pans, I'd need three pans, maybe 4, to use up most
of the batter. I'm not happy about that.

So I will stick w/ my metal pans until I can find the right size in
silicone somewhere.

Chris

Denny Wheeler

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:59:56 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>I have the 8x8 pan for cornbread and small casseroles and some silicon
>basting brushes.

The basting brushes are GREAT! Clean up very quick and easy, heat
resistant--I love mine.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.

Silicone bakeware [email protected] General Cooking 2 27-05-2011 11:57 PM
silicone brushes readandpostrosie General Cooking 15 17-04-2006 04:34 PM
Silicone Bakeware???? Donna Baking 18 04-01-2005 08:22 AM
Silicone Becca General Cooking 18 14-12-2004 03:23 AM
Superb Le Creuset Cook'n Bake Silicone Cookware kiff Marketplace 0 28-02-2004 06:57 PM