Stan de SD

Default So what exactly does Dan Clore do for a living anyway?

"Xyzzy" > wrote in message
m...
> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message

link.net>...
> > "Xyzzy" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message

> > k.net>...

message

chain.

> > forced

it's a

> > spoiled

messenger?

Nobody
> > is
> > >
> > > And nobody is being forced to own & operate Starbucks, McDonalds,
> > > Wal-Mart. If the CEO's don't like unions they can find another job as
> > > well.

> > The union didn't invest in the business - the owners did.

> The workers are the union. They invest their labor, the better part of

their lives.

No, the union may "represent" the workers, but the workers and union are
separate entities. In addition, the workers are pretty much guaranteed to
get paid for their "investment" of labor, while owners and investors have no
such guarantees that they will ever get paid off. With risks of failure come
the benfits of success - if union types are unwilling to assume the former,
why should they get the latter?

> > A small point you
> > choose to overlook.

Michael Legel

Default Stan de SD's Ignorance

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit, the
> right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think you're
> getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful thinking
> otherwise...

You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding employee
"rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the risk
of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
describe.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit, the
> right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think you're
> getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful thinking
> otherwise...

You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding employee
"rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the risk
of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
describe.

Stan de SD

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > > Imagine that. A country with rights for everyone in the business.

> > Businesses are NOT democracies. Those who do not own the business do not
> > have the same rights as those who do - plain and simple.

> HEHE! I love when the corporate capitalists get caught on this one.

How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> If
> you would not live uunder a totalitarian state, why live under a
> totalitarian corporation?

Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are free
to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.
There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you in,
and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving) in
a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> Yes but, they say, you are free to leave at
> any time! Tell that to a wal mart employee when they realize that wal
> mart is the only business left in town.

Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business, and tell me what prevents
you from moving (or at least seeking work in another town)...

Stan de SD

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > > Imagine that. A country with rights for everyone in the business.

> > Businesses are NOT democracies. Those who do not own the business do not
> > have the same rights as those who do - plain and simple.

> HEHE! I love when the corporate capitalists get caught on this one.

How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> If
> you would not live uunder a totalitarian state, why live under a
> totalitarian corporation?

Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are free
to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.
There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you in,
and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving) in
a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> Yes but, they say, you are free to leave at
> any time! Tell that to a wal mart employee when they realize that wal
> mart is the only business left in town.

Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business, and tell me what prevents
you from moving (or at least seeking work in another town)...

Stan de SD

Default Cut the crap, Michael...

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >

> > You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit,

the
> > right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> > employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think

you're
> > getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful

thinking
> > otherwise...

> You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
> believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

employee
> "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the

risk
> of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> describe.

Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can. Also,
show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is a
"democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >

> > You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit,

the
> > right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> > employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think

you're
> > getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful

thinking
> > otherwise...

> You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
> believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

employee
> "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the

risk
> of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> describe.

Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can. Also,
show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is a
"democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

Michael Legel

Default You're full of crap, Stan

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > >

> > > You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit,

> the
> > > right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> > > employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think

> you're
> > > getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful

> thinking
> > > otherwise...

> > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
> > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> employee
> > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the

> risk
> > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > describe.

> Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can. Also,
> show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is a
> "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law negotiate
with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold and
attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or not. I
have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice. I can
not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my employers
unfair labor practices. I have the right to work in a safe environment and to
be provided with the proper safety equipment required. I have the right to
equal employment and pay regardless my race, religion, age, or gender. I have
the right to be paid the minimum wage as legislated by my city, state, and
federal governments. I have specific job rights even though I may be
disabled. Those are just of few of the more prominent "rights" workers have
and there are more depending on contractual agreements and other state and
local laws.

I never said anything about workplaces being democracies ... but the workplace
is governed by our democratic republic and it is neither as simplistic or
absolute as you believe it is. Again, your ignorance is deep but not total.
If you would care to spend some time learning your ignorance may be relieved.
As it stands you run the risk of seeming stupid as well as ignorant.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > >

> > > You have right to sell and market your time and labor as you see fit,

> the
> > > right to get paid per any voluntary contract you enter into with your
> > > employer, and the right to leave and seek work elsewhere if you think

> you're
> > > getting a raw deal. That's as far as it goes, despite your wishful

> thinking
> > > otherwise...

> > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right to
> > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> employee
> > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run the

> risk
> > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > describe.

> Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can. Also,
> show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is a
> "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law negotiate
with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold and
attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or not. I
have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice. I can
not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my employers
unfair labor practices. I have the right to work in a safe environment and to
be provided with the proper safety equipment required. I have the right to
equal employment and pay regardless my race, religion, age, or gender. I have
the right to be paid the minimum wage as legislated by my city, state, and
federal governments. I have specific job rights even though I may be
disabled. Those are just of few of the more prominent "rights" workers have
and there are more depending on contractual agreements and other state and
local laws.

I never said anything about workplaces being democracies ... but the workplace
is governed by our democratic republic and it is neither as simplistic or
absolute as you believe it is. Again, your ignorance is deep but not total.
If you would care to spend some time learning your ignorance may be relieved.
As it stands you run the risk of seeming stupid as well as ignorant.

Grain of Sand

In article k.net>,
"Stan de SD" > wrote:

> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> > In article et>,
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote:
> >
> > > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > > s.com...
> > >
> > > Businesses are NOT democracies. Those who do not own the business do not
> > > have the same rights as those who do - plain and simple.

> > HEHE! I love when the corporate capitalists get caught on this one.

> How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

Caught admitting the type of govenment they really want.

> > If
> > you would not live uunder a totalitarian state, why live under a
> > totalitarian corporation?

> Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
> authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are free
> to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.

The "freedom to move" is an assumption and not true for most of the
working poor.

> There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you in,
> and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving) in
> a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

I could go along and show you why most corporations at some time
resembled a totalitarian government (IBM in the 50's) but let's focus on
your admission that businesses are authoritarian.

So, who would want to live under an authoritarian government?

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Authoritarian

> > Yes but, they say, you are free to leave at
> > any time! Tell that to a wal mart employee when they realize that wal
> > mart is the only business left in town.

> Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business,

Yes, you are correct. I was dramatic. But wal mart does cause busniesses
to close and has a huge effect on the working poor:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5001_mz001.htm

THE WAL-MART EFFECT
Lately, there's a new name for the downward pressure on wages: the
so-called Wal-Martization of the economy. Most recently, the dynamic
played out starkly in the five-month Southern California supermarket
strike that ended in February. The three chains involved, Safeway (SWY
), Albertson's (ABS ), and Kroger (KR ), said they had no choice but to
cut pay and benefits drastically now that 40 Wal-Mart Stores (WMT )
supercenters would be opening up in the area. The reason: Wal-Mart pays
its full-time hourly workers an average of $9.64, about a third of the
level of the union chains. It also shoulders much less of its workers'
annual health insurance costs than rivals, leaving 53% of its 1.2
million employees uncovered by the company plan.

Now, after the strike, new hires will have lower wages and bear a much
higher share of health costs than current union members, making health
insurance too pricey for many of them, too. Eventually, many grocery
jobs could wind up paying poverty-level wages, just like Wal-Mart's. "I
used to load workers into my truck to take them down to United Way,"
says Jon Lehman, a former manager of a Louisville Wal-Mart who now works
for the United Food & Commercial Workers Union. In his 17 years with
Wal-Mart, he kept a Rolodex with numbers for homeless shelters, food
banks, and soup kitchens. "They couldn't make it on their paychecks."

It's a prospect that deeply worries workers like Sherry Kovas. Over 26
years, she worked her way up to $17.90 an hour as a cashier at Ralph's
Grocery Co. (KR ) store in the posh California enclave of Indian Wells.
To Kovas, the Medici-like lifestyles of her customers -- the personal
chefs, the necklaces that would pay her yearly salary -- never seemed so
much an emblem of inequality as a symbol of what was possible. Now,
though, after the banks foreclosed on some strikers' homes and the repo
men hauled away their cars, there's already talk of grocery store
closings in the area because of the new Wal-Mart supercenter up the
road. "They say Wal-Mart's going to kill us," says Kovas, who fears
losing the three-bedroom modular home that she, her five-year-old son,
husband, and mother-in-law share. "But I'm 44 years old. I'm too old to
start over."

> and tell me what prevents
> you from moving (or at least seeking work in another town)...

These thing could:
Transportation costs
Health
Family obligations
cost

Have you ever read Nickle and Dimed?
http://www.worldvision.org/appalachia

Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html

Grain of Sand

In article k.net>,
"Stan de SD" > wrote:

> [...]

Grocery Co. (KR ) store in the posh California enclave of Indian Wells.
To Kovas, the Medici-like lifestyles of her customers -- the personal
chefs, the necklaces that would pay her yearly salary -- never seemed so
much an emblem of inequality as a symbol of what was possible. Now,
though, after the banks foreclosed on some strikers' homes and the repo
men hauled away their cars, there's already talk of grocery store
closings in the area because of the new Wal-Mart supercenter up the
road. "They say Wal-Mart's going to kill us," says Kovas, who fears
losing the three-bedroom modular home that she, her five-year-old son,
husband, and mother-in-law share. "But I'm 44 years old. I'm too old to
start over."

> and tell me what prevents
> you from moving (or at least seeking work in another town)...

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

fit,
> > the

your

think
> > you're

> > thinking
> > >
> > > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right

> > > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> > employee
> > > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run

the
> > risk
> > > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > > describe.

> > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

Also,
> > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

negotiate
> with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

and
> attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

not.

You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

> I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

OK...

> I can
> not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

employers
> unfair labor practices.

And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
That's what you are in effect saying...

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

fit,
> > the

your

think
> > you're

> > thinking
> > >
> > > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right

> > > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> > employee
> > > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run

the
> > risk
> > > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > > describe.

> > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

Also,
> > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

negotiate
> with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

and
> attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

not.

You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

> I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

OK...

> I can
> not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

employers
> unfair labor practices.

And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
That's what you are in effect saying...

Stan de SD

Default yeah, whatever

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

fit,
> > the

your

think
> > you're

> > thinking
> > >
> > > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right

> > > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> > employee
> > > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run

the
> > risk
> > > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > > describe.

> > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

Also,
> > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

negotiate
> with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

and
> attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

not.

You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

> I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

OK...

> I can
> not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

employers
> unfair labor practices.

And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
That's what you are in effect saying...

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

fit,
> > the

your

think
> > you're

> > thinking
> > >
> > > You have the right to spout this ignorant nonsense ... even the right

> > > believe it. But that doesn't make it so. Your ignorance regarding

> > employee
> > > "rights" and labor law is very profound. As I said before, you run

the
> > risk
> > > of serious loss in a law suit if you treat employees in the manor you
> > > describe.

> > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

Also,
> > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

negotiate
> with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

and
> attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

not.

You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

> I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

OK...

> I can
> not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

employers
> unfair labor practices.

And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
That's what you are in effect saying...

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > >
> > > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > > s.com...

> fit,
> > > the

> your

> think
> > > you're
> > > thinking

> > > employee

> the
> > > risk
> > >
> > > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

> Also,
> > > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> > You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> > belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> > negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

> negotiate
> > with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> > verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

> and
> > attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

> not.
>
> You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

I CAN and HAVE had union meetings on site. Although I was arrested for it
once, all charges were dropped. The law protects that right.

> > I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

> OK...
>
> > I can
> > not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

> employers
> > unfair labor practices.

> And there's where you're wrong.

No, that's where I am right. I have done it. I participated in a ULP strike
against Caterpillar for over a year and a half and they did not permanently
replace me. Again reality differs from your beliefs. It happens.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > >
> > > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > > s.com...

> fit,
> > > the

> your

> think
> > > you're
> > > thinking

> > > employee

> the
> > > risk
> > >
> > > Point out anything above that is factually incorrect... if you can.

> Also,
> > > show us your sources substantiating your assertion that the workplace is

> > > "democracy" before lecturing others about being "ignorant", OK?

> > You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the right to
> > belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that union
> > negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

> negotiate
> > with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union both
> > verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to hold

> and
> > attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

> not.
>
> You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...

I CAN and HAVE had union meetings on site. Although I was arrested for it
once, all charges were dropped. The law protects that right.

> > I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor practice.

> OK...
>
> > I can
> > not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

> employers
> > unfair labor practices.

> And there's where you're wrong.

No, that's where I am right. I have done it. I participated in a ULP strike
against Caterpillar for over a year and a half and they did not permanently
replace me. Again reality differs from your beliefs. It happens.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
> worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
> are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
> submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
> not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
> That's what you are in effect saying...

No Stan, I said in effect what I said. I said both the company and the union
must bargain in good faith. The union and company should only demand a
realistic return for a realistic value. I never said I had the same job
rights for an economic strike. Only that I had the right to strike for
economic reasons.

I said I could not be permanently replaced for striking against Unfair Labor
Practices.

Michael Legel

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message
link.net...

> And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
> worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
> are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
> submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
> not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
> That's what you are in effect saying...

No Stan, I said in effect what I said. I said both the company and the union
must bargain in good faith. The union and company should only demand a
realistic return for a realistic value. I never said I had the same job
rights for an economic strike. Only that I had the right to strike for
economic reasons.

I said I could not be permanently replaced for striking against Unfair Labor
Practices.

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and

you're
> > worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If

they
> > are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do

you
> > submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed

of
> > not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with

reality?
> > That's what you are in effect saying...
> >

> No Stan, I said in effect what I said. I said both the company and the

union
> must bargain in good faith. The union and company should only demand a
> realistic return for a realistic value. I never said I had the same job
> rights for an economic strike. Only that I had the right to strike for
> economic reasons.
>
> I said I could not be permanently replaced for striking against Unfair

Labor
> Practices.

Yes, you can. You can be replaced if the company decides that your demands
are out of line.

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and

you're
> > worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If

they
> > are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do

you
> > submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed

of
> > not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with

reality?
> > That's what you are in effect saying...
> >

> No Stan, I said in effect what I said. I said both the company and the

union
> must bargain in good faith. The union and company should only demand a
> realistic return for a realistic value. I never said I had the same job
> rights for an economic strike. Only that I had the right to strike for
> economic reasons.
>
> I said I could not be permanently replaced for striking against Unfair

Labor
> Practices.

Yes, you can. You can be replaced if the company decides that your demands
are out of line.

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

message

> > fit,

> > your

> > think

wishful

right

regarding

run
> > the

you

> > Also,

workplace is

> > > You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the

right to
> > > belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that

union
> > > negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

> > negotiate
> > > with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union

both
> > > verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to

hold
> > and
> > > attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

> > not.
> >
> > You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...
> >

> I CAN and HAVE had union meetings on site. Although I was arrested for it
> once, all charges were dropped. The law protects that right.
>
> > > I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor

practice.

> > OK...
> >
> > > I can
> > > not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

> > employers
> > > unfair labor practices.

> > And there's where you're wrong.

> No, that's where I am right. I have done it. I participated in a ULP

strike
> against Caterpillar for over a year and a half and they did not

permanently
> replace me. Again reality differs from your beliefs. It happens.

That does not apply to all cases. So what's it like to be so incapable of
keeping a job on your own merits that you have to force a company to keep
you employed?

Stan de SD

"Michael Legel" > wrote in message
s.com...

> "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Michael Legel" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

message

> > fit,

> > your

> > think

wishful

right

regarding

run
> > the

you

> > Also,

workplace is

> > > You say "that's as far as it goes" and you are wrong. I have the

right to
> > > belong to a union in my workplace. I have the right to have that

union
> > > negotiate in good faith with my employer and my employer must by law

> > negotiate
> > > with my union in good faith. I have the right to support my union

both
> > > verbally and in my attire both at work and away. I have the right to

hold
> > and
> > > attend union meetings at my work place whether my employer likes it or

> > not.
> >
> > You can have your union meetings off-site during your off hours...
> >

> I CAN and HAVE had union meetings on site. Although I was arrested for it
> once, all charges were dropped. The law protects that right.
>
> > > I have the right to strike for both economic and unfair labor

practice.

> > OK...
> >
> > > I can
> > > not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

> > employers
> > > unfair labor practices.

> > And there's where you're wrong.

> No, that's where I am right. I have done it. I participated in a ULP

strike
> against Caterpillar for over a year and a half and they did not

permanently
> replace me. Again reality differs from your beliefs. It happens.

That does not apply to all cases. So what's it like to be so incapable of
keeping a job on your own merits that you have to force a company to keep
you employed?

Stan de SD

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article k.net>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
> > "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

not

> > > HEHE! I love when the corporate capitalists get caught on this one.

> > How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> Caught admitting the type of govenment they really want.

Governments and businesses are not the same, nor is it ideal for them to be
the same type of organization, since they exist for different purposes.

> > > If
> > > you would not live uunder a totalitarian state, why live under a
> > > totalitarian corporation?

> > Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
> > authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are

free
> > to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.

> The "freedom to move" is an assumption and not true for most of the
> working poor.

Try telling that to millions of Mexican immigrants (legal and otherwise) who
are able to relocate to find work...

> > There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you

in,
> > and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving)

in
> > a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> I could go along and show you why most corporations at some time
> resembled a totalitarian government (IBM in the 50's) but let's focus on
> your admission that businesses are authoritarian.
>
> So, who would want to live under an authoritarian government?

We're referring to businesses, NOT governments. Are you seriously telling me
that you can't discern the difference between the two?

> http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Authoritarian
>

> > > Yes but, they say, you are free to leave at
> > > any time! Tell that to a wal mart employee when they realize that wal
> > > mart is the only business left in town.

> > Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business,

> Yes, you are correct. I was dramatic. But wal mart does cause busniesses
> to close and has a huge effect on the working poor:

Wal-Mart does cause inefficient businesses to close, which is a good thing.
It also allows other small businesses (who buy from and sell products to
Wal-Mart) to prosper.

Stan de SD

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article k.net>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
> > "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

not

> > > HEHE! I love when the corporate capitalists get caught on this one.

> > How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> Caught admitting the type of govenment they really want.

Governments and businesses are not the same, nor is it ideal for them to be
the same type of organization, since they exist for different purposes.

> > > If
> > > you would not live uunder a totalitarian state, why live under a
> > > totalitarian corporation?

> > Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
> > authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are

free
> > to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.

> The "freedom to move" is an assumption and not true for most of the
> working poor.

Try telling that to millions of Mexican immigrants (legal and otherwise) who
are able to relocate to find work...

> > There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you

in,
> > and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving)

in
> > a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> I could go along and show you why most corporations at some time
> resembled a totalitarian government (IBM in the 50's) but let's focus on
> your admission that businesses are authoritarian.
>
> So, who would want to live under an authoritarian government?

We're referring to businesses, NOT governments. Are you seriously telling me
that you can't discern the difference between the two?

> http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Authoritarian
>

> > > Yes but, they say, you are free to leave at
> > > any time! Tell that to a wal mart employee when they realize that wal
> > > mart is the only business left in town.

> > Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business,

> Yes, you are correct. I was dramatic. But wal mart does cause busniesses
> to close and has a huge effect on the working poor:

Wal-Mart does cause inefficient businesses to close, which is a good thing.
It also allows other small businesses (who buy from and sell products to
Wal-Mart) to prosper.

G*rd*n

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

Constantinople >:
> We can afford all the goods that Gordon mentions; what we cannot afford
> is the waste involved in trying to get government to deliver them. ...

I think you're missing the point here. "We" means "they";
"afford" means "feel like paying for".

Way back when, the working class became restless because
they saw that much was being produced and they didn't think
they were getting enough of it. Agitators told them they
should take power or at least take over their own lives and
livelihoods. Armies followed them. Serious trouble was
brewing. Anarchism, socialism and fascism reared their
illiberal, anti-capitalist heads.

The capitalist ruling class became worried. They decided to
cut a deal with the workers, especially after some of those
armies succeeded in defeating some capitalist armies. "Don't
worry about power or autonomy", said the r.c., "instead, we'll
give you lots of goodies and take care of you." Thus the
social-democratic State was born. It was, indeed, a sort of
tyranny, but it was a soft, _nice_ tyranny.

And it worked. Eventually, the agitators and the armies of
the anti-capitalists were defeated, or at least sank back
into the shadows. So then the capitalist ruling class said,
"Hey! The problem has been solved. We don't need this 'nice'
stuff any more." Besides, a lot of the lower orders didn't
like it any more, either. So they started getting rid of it.

That's all I'm talking about above. "We" (they) can perfectly
well afford the waste in getting the government to deliver
the goods and services in the literal sense of "afford" --
"manage to pay for" -- but "we" (they) don't need to, so why
bother?

However, I think if we (the real we this time) start to see
a lot of autonomous behavior, the bennies and concomitant
regulation will return.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
G*rd*n

Constantinople >:
> We can afford all the goods that Gordon mentions; what we cannot afford
> is the waste involved in trying to get government to deliver them. ...

I think you're missing the point here. "We" means "they";
"afford" means "feel like paying for".

Way back when, the working class became restless because
they saw that much was being produced and they didn't think
they were getting enough of it. Agitators told them they
should take power or at least take over their own lives and
livelihoods. Armies followed them. Serious trouble was
brewing. Anarchism, socialism and fascism reared their
illiberal, anti-capitalist heads.

The capitalist ruling class became worried. They decided to
cut a deal with the workers, especially after some of those
armies succeeded in defeating some capitalist armies. "Don't
worry about power or autonomy", said the r.c., "instead, we'll
give you lots of goodies and take care of you." Thus the
social-democratic State was born. It was, indeed, a sort of
tyranny, but it was a soft, _nice_ tyranny.

And it worked. Eventually, the agitators and the armies of
the anti-capitalists were defeated, or at least sank back
into the shadows. So then the capitalist ruling class said,
"Hey! The problem has been solved. We don't need this 'nice'
stuff any more." Besides, a lot of the lower orders didn't
like it any more, either. So they started getting rid of it.

That's all I'm talking about above. "We" (they) can perfectly
well afford the waste in getting the government to deliver
the goods and services in the literal sense of "afford" --
"manage to pay for" -- but "we" (they) don't need to, so why
bother?

However, I think if we (the real we this time) start to see
a lot of autonomous behavior, the bennies and concomitant
regulation will return.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
}"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't
Xyzzy

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> "Xyzzy" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message

> link.net>...
> > > "Xyzzy" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> k.net>...

> message

> chain.

> > > forced

> it's a

> spoiled

> messenger?

> Nobody
> is

> > > The union didn't invest in the business - the owners did.

> > The workers are the union. They invest their labor, the better part of

> their lives.
>
> No, the union may "represent" the workers, but the workers and union are
> separate entities.

In the Steelworkers' union, for instance, the workers and a union
lawyer sit on the bargaining committee to negotiate a contract. The
workers negotiate directly with management.

> In addition, the workers are pretty much guaranteed to
> get paid for their "investment" of labor,

Without a contract there are no guarantees. At-will employees can
quit or be fired or demoted with no notice or explaination.

> while owners and investors have no
> such guarantees that they will ever get paid off.

What do underwriters do? What is insurance for? Bankruptcy law?
Investors sign all kinds of contracts, demand security.

> With risks of failure come
> the benfits of success - if union types are unwilling to assume the former,

When workers support a union effort they they risk retailiation by the
company, they risk losing their jobs.

> why should they get the latter?
>

> > > A small point you
> > > choose to overlook.

Xyzzy

"Stan de SD" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> "Xyzzy" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "Stan de SD" > wrote in message

> link.net>...
> > > "Xyzzy" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> k.net>...

> message

> chain.

> > > forced

> it's a

> spoiled

> messenger?

> Nobody
> is

> > > The union didn't invest in the business - the owners did.

> > The workers are the union. They invest their labor, the better part of

> their lives.
>
> No, the union may "represent" the workers, but the workers and union are
> separate entities.

In the Steelworkers' union, for instance, the workers and a union
lawyer sit on the bargaining committee to negotiate a contract. The
workers negotiate directly with management.

> In addition, the workers are pretty much guaranteed to
> get paid for their "investment" of labor,

Without a contract there are no guarantees. At-will employees can
quit or be fired or demoted with no notice or explaination.

> while owners and investors have no
> such guarantees that they will ever get paid off.

What do underwriters do? What is insurance for? Bankruptcy law?
Investors sign all kinds of contracts, demand security.

> With risks of failure come
> the benfits of success - if union types are unwilling to assume the former,

When workers support a union effort they they risk retailiation by the
company, they risk losing their jobs.

> why should they get the latter?
>

> > > A small point you
> > > choose to overlook.

Grain of Sand

In article k.net>,
"Stan de SD" > wrote:

> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> > In article k.net>,

> not

> > > How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> > Caught admitting the type of govenment they really want.

> Governments and businesses are not the same, nor is it ideal for them to be
> the same type of organization, since they exist for different purposes.

> > > Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
> > > authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are

> free
> > > to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.

> > The "freedom to move" is an assumption and not true for most of the
> > working poor.

> Try telling that to millions of Mexican immigrants (legal and otherwise) who
> are able to relocate to find work...

Oh, I thought we were talking about legal us citizens.

The wage and social disparity from Mexico to the US is HUGE. In the US
there is not a dramatic change for the working poor when moving from one
city to another. For a mexican family, they can send half their salary
home and feed their families. They separate from their families for
years for this opporitunity.

I do not see how that would help our society.

> > > There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you

> in,
> > > and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving)

> in
> > > a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> > I could go along and show you why most corporations at some time
> > resembled a totalitarian government (IBM in the 50's) but let's focus on
> > your admission that businesses are authoritarian.
> >
> > So, who would want to live under an authoritarian government?

> We're referring to businesses, NOT governments. Are you seriously telling me
> that you can't discern the difference between the two?

So, who would want to live under an authoritarian corporation?

> > http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Authoritarian

> > > Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business,

> > Yes, you are correct. I was dramatic. But wal mart does cause busniesses
> > to close and has a huge effect on the working poor:

> Wal-Mart does cause inefficient businesses to close, which is a good thing.
> It also allows other small businesses (who buy from and sell products to
> Wal-Mart) to prosper.

wal mart lowers wages in the area, forces stores to close (it buys from
larger companies, not small ones), limits choice based on beleif, not
customer need (MAXXUUM), and treats it's employees poorly.

I gues if that what you want, fine.

Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html

Grain of Sand

In article k.net>,
"Stan de SD" > wrote:

> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> > In article k.net>,

> not

> > > How is anyone "caught"? It happens to be the truth...

> > Caught admitting the type of govenment they really want.

> Governments and businesses are not the same, nor is it ideal for them to be
> the same type of organization, since they exist for different purposes.

> > > Once again, your complete cluelessness shows. Businesses may be
> > > authoritarian by necessity, but they are HARDLY totalitarian. You are

> free
> > > to quit and go elsewhere if you don't think you are getting a fair deal.

> > The "freedom to move" is an assumption and not true for most of the
> > working poor.

> Try telling that to millions of Mexican immigrants (legal and otherwise) who
> are able to relocate to find work...

Oh, I thought we were talking about legal us citizens.

The wage and social disparity from Mexico to the US is HUGE. In the US
there is not a dramatic change for the working poor when moving from one
city to another. For a mexican family, they can send half their salary
home and feed their families. They separate from their families for
years for this opporitunity.

I do not see how that would help our society.

> > > There are no guard dogs, barbed wire, or electrical fences keeping you

> in,
> > > and the EXIT door is pretty well marked by law. Try doing that (leaving)

> in
> > > a totalitarian state, and see how far you get...

> > I could go along and show you why most corporations at some time
> > resembled a totalitarian government (IBM in the 50's) but let's focus on
> > your admission that businesses are authoritarian.
> >
> > So, who would want to live under an authoritarian government?

> We're referring to businesses, NOT governments. Are you seriously telling me
> that you can't discern the difference between the two?

So, who would want to live under an authoritarian corporation?

> > http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Authoritarian

> > > Name a town where Wal-Mart is the only business,

> > Yes, you are correct. I was dramatic. But wal mart does cause busniesses
> > to close and has a huge effect on the working poor:

> Wal-Mart does cause inefficient businesses to close, which is a good thing.
> It also allows other small businesses (who buy from and sell products to
> Wal-Mart) to prosper.

wal mart lowers wages in the area, forces stores to close (it buys from
larger companies, not small ones), limits choice based on beleif, not
customer need (MAXXUUM), and treats it's employees poorly.

I gues if that what you want, fine.

Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html
Hawth Hill

in article . net, Stan de SD
at wrote on 06/28/2004 12:50 AM:

>> I can
>> not be permanently replaced or "fired" if I am striking against my

> employers
>> unfair labor practices.

> And there's where you're wrong. If your demands are reasonable and you're
> worth what you're asking, odd are you will get what you asked for. If they
> are out of line, you will probably be locked out and lose your job. Do you
> submit that you have the right to strike for $100/hour and be guaranteed of
> not being replaced when your demands are totally out of line with reality?
> That's what you are in effect saying...

The law is clear that strikers who are found to occupy the status of
"economic strikers" may be permanently replaced by their employer, (though,
to be accurate, even they retain some rights to be reinstated if [a] they or
their representative have applied therefor, and [b] their former position
is, or becomes, available once again.)

As for those workers who occupy the status of "unfair labor practice
strikers", an employer is equally clearly obliged to reinstate them upon
their application therefor, or their abandonment of their strike, even if in
doing so the employer is obliged to discharge other workers who have been
hired to replace them. Workers are deemed to be "unfair labor practice
strikers" if their strike is either caused or prolonged by the commission of
unfair labor practices of an employer.

The rights of unfair labor practice strikers to reinstatement are entirely
unaffected by the history of the negotiations between the employer and the
employees' collective bargaining representative.

Please do not misconstrue what I have just written. Eventually, the terms
of a proposed collective bargaining agreement must be _mutually_ agreed
upon, or there will simply be an impasse. When that occurs, an employer may
lawfully then unilaterally impose the terms of his last offer to the union.
The employer is not obliged to agree to any specific term or condition that
may be demanded, (though, to be sure, there are a few items that are so much
"givens" that the failure to agree may itself be used as evidence of a firm
and fixed intent to avoid or evade any agreement, and thereby violate
Section 8(a)(5) of the NLRA. e.g. I've seen a case where the employer
refused for months on end to agree to such matters as the correct name of
the union, or to the correct address of his own business.) What is required
is a good faith effort to resolve differences with the representative chosen
by the employer's employees.

Thus, it is unrealistic to cast the debate in terms of a union or group of
employees being free to make outrageous demands, with no regard for the
consequences. For, if they do so, it will simply result in an impasse
leading to implementation of the employer's last offer, and, as a result,
the strike will have been lost by the employees.

Sadly, that, too sometimes happens. People sometimes become greedy, and
over-reach, no matter which side of the table they sit upon.

I've seen cases where unions, and/or the employees they represented, simply
bargained themselves out of jobs. Many years ago there was a nationally
famous case out on Long Island, near New York City, where a large,
multi-employer bargaining association reached agreement with a group of
unions representing a segment of workers in the electrical industry. The
terms sounded breathtakingly generous. And, sure enough, within a few
years, all the employers had managed to "go out of business" and resurface
as disguised continuations of the old businesses, but without any
obligations to a union, or with an agreement with a more tractable union.
And all the employees who had thought they were "set" were without jobs. . .
It happens.

HH

Hawth Hill

in article . net, Stan de SD
at wrote on 06/28/2004 12:50 AM:

> [...]

Sadly, that, too sometimes happens. People sometimes become greedy, and
over-reach, no matter which side of the table they sit upon.

I've seen cases where unions, and/or the employees they represented, simply
bargained themselves out of jobs. Many years ago there was a nationally
famous case out on Long Island, near New York City, where a large,
multi-employer bargaining association reached agreement with a group of
unions representing a segment of workers in the electrical industry. The
terms sounded breathtakingly generous. And, sure enough, within a few
years, all the employers had managed to "go out of business" and resurface
as disguised continuations of the old businesses, but without any
obligations to a union, or with an agreement with a more tractable union.
And all the employees who had thought they were "set" were without jobs. . .

geetarplyr

yea......."you" means retarded.....like all Starsucks employees
"Constantinople" > wrote in message
> bulba > wrote in news:etqtd09j1rmj62fetqebkuc3q72877jli6
> @4ax.com:
>
> > On 26 Jun 2004 12:46:36 -0400, (G*rd*n) wrote:
> >
> >>time. Hence, although "we" are supposedly much richer now
> >>than fifty years ago, "we" can no longer afford Welfare,
> >>unemployment insurance, free public education, public health,
> >>public housing, job health and safety, job training, day
> >>care, environmental protection, and so forth.

> > This is tyranny. Not to mention economic waste.

> We can afford all the goods that Gordon mentions; what we cannot afford
> is the waste involved in trying to get government to deliver them. For
> example, the good in public education is education. We can afford
> education. It's cheap. What we cannot so easily afford is public
> education - i.e., it's expensive, and wasteful, to use the government to
> deliver education. It costs a lot and delivers a poor education. The
> good in public health is health. We could afford better health care, if
> only the provision of that good were not made artificially sky-high-
> expensive by government intervention. In a world where outrageous
> computer technology is getting cheaper and cheaper, medical technology
> is getting outrageously expensive. I cannot help but feel that if the
> market in health care were truly open, e.g., if there were no licensing
> and if there were no FDA and if all medications could be had at any drug
> store by anyone (i.e. without a prescription), then prices would drop
> tremendously. Medicine, like computers, is a field where improvements
> are driven by technological advance, and so, like computers, one might
> expect prices to plummet from year to year. They do not plummet, but the
> "market" in medicine is far from free, the government is heavily
> involved - this may explain it.
>
> The logic of government expenditures is not the same as the logic of the
> expenditures of private companies. There is a vast gulf of
> unaccountability separating government expenditure from the satisfaction
> of the government's "customers". The result is that the government takes
> the maximum that it can without causing a taxpayer revolt, and
> regardless of whether it "needs" the money for anything. So if tomorrow
> everyone got ten times as rich, then the government would take probably
> about ten times as much. And then it would spend it on the same stuff,
> meaning, that in all likelihood, schools would get much more money. And
> where would it go? If history is any indication, most of it would go
> into the pockets of non-teachers - i.e., the vast bureaucracy that
> public school systems have. In short, it would be wasted, or more
> precisely, it would be used as a kind of makework welfare, or workfare I
> suppose, for public school bureaucrats. A lot would no doubt be grabbed
> by teachers' unions to pump up teachers' salaries. A lot would no doubt
> be used to build a lot of ugly new buildings with tiny windows that
> won't open.

geetarplyr

> [...]

> the maximum that it can without causing a taxpayer revolt, and
> regardless of whether it "needs" the money for anything. So if tomorrow
> everyone got ten times as rich, then the government would take probably
> about ten times as much. And then it would spend it on the same stuff,
> meaning, that in all likelihood, schools would get much more money. And
> where would it go? If history is any indication, most of it would go
> into the pockets of non-teachers - i.e., the vast bureaucracy that
> public school systems have. In short, it would be wasted, or more
> precisely, it would be used as a kind of makework welfare, or workfare I
> suppose, for public school bureaucrats. A lot would no doubt be grabbed
> by teachers' unions to pump up teachers' salaries. A lot would no doubt
> be used to build a lot of ugly new buildings with tiny windows that

Wm James

On 25 Jun 2004 14:06:39 -0400, (G*rd*n) wrote:

:
> [...]

(G*rd*n):

:
>> What have you been attempting and failing to read? Where have I EVER
>> said such a thing? EVERYONE has the right to associate freely and
>> the right to trade their labor or anything else they have on whatever
>> terms they see fit. That include those buying labor. If you forma
>> union and the employer doesn't like the terms ofthe bulk labor, he's
>> free to purchase it elsewhere and tell you to get off his property. Or
>> do you not feel he has the right to associate and trade freely as
>> well?

>Since unions are an expression of self-interest mediated
>by certain liberal rights, such as association, contract,
>representation and expression, to say that they are
>_inherently_ evil is to say that self-interest and one
>or more of these rights is evil, since the combination
>inherently produces evil. As I suggest above, you may
>think that self-interest and the named rights are all
>right for some people (employers) but not for others
>(employees) but I don't think you've made that clear.

I have been quite clear to the contrary. What part of "EVERYONE has
the right to associate freely and the right to trade their labor or
anything else they have on whatever terms they see fit." do you not
understand? Do you imagine "EVERYONE" means some people but not
others? YOU (not I) are peddling the nonsense that such freedom
applies only to some. You want those selling labor to have the right
to decide to seel it in bulk collectively, which I agree with. If
that's how they choose to sell it, fine. But you seem to think the
buyer shouldn't have any right to decline, that the buyer of labor is
somehow obligated to trade. My position is that either party, the
buyer or the seller, of anything (including labor) is free to set
whatever terms they see fit, and to refuse to trade, and to shop
elsewhere and trade with someone else anytime the choose for whatever
reason they choose. Why do you insist that some have such rights and
not others, and why do you accuse me of taking your position?

>> Unions are evil because they are powerless if they respect the rights
>> of others. If they were prevented from using violence, threats,
>> intimidation, vandalism, and were not allowed to impose themselves on
>> unwilling trade partners, the unions would have virtually no ability
>> to function.

>So you say, but you don't show why. Collective behavior
>is obviously advantageous under many circumstances, and one
>of them seems to be in acting collectively to sell labor.
>If it is advantageous, we can expect to observe people
>trying to do it, and we do.

I see no advantage except to those who's labor is woth less than they
are already being paid. Take a typical work force of say 100
employees. There are some who show up on time, work hard, and are
worth more than the average. There are some who take every
opportunity to show up late or not at all, or take off early, and
spend most of their time avoiding the work and or whining about it
instead of actually doing it. They are already over paid, and they
need a union to prop them up. The workers don't ned a union. They are
nbetter off without one. In a union, they end up carrying the load for
the bums.

William R. James

Wm James

> [...]

>So you say, but you don't show why. Collective behavior
>is obviously advantageous under many circumstances, and one
>of them seems to be in acting collectively to sell labor.
>If it is advantageous, we can expect to observe people
>trying to do it, and we do.

I see no advantage except to those who's labor is woth less than they
are already being paid. Take a typical work force of say 100
employees. There are some who show up on time, work hard, and are
worth more than the average. There are some who take every
opportunity to show up late or not at all, or take off early, and
spend most of their time avoiding the work and or whining about it
instead of actually doing it. They are already over paid, and they
need a union to prop them up. The workers don't ned a union. They are
nbetter off without one. In a union, they end up carrying the load for

Wm James

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:40:20 -0700, Dan Clore
> wrote:

>> Nonsense. The boss has complete control over his property. He has
>> complete control over what is his to trade, it's HIS money. It's HIS
>> job, not the vendor's job. The employees have complete control over
>> their property, and what they have to trade as well. Neither party
>> should have to trade if they choose not to. Either party is free to
>> trade elsewhere. and either party if free to set the rules regarding
>> activities allowed on their property.

>And there you have it: according to Wm James, "freedom of
>choice" means giving the boss complete control over the
>workers, and this prevents management from becoming "too
>dictatorial". If workers find such total, arbitrary rule
>"excessive", why, they can look for another master who will
>again have total, arbitrary control over them. Freedom means
>more than a choice of masters.
>
>It almost seems like I'm repeating myself.

Instead of repeating yourself, why don't you read what I wrote before
attempting to tell people what I said? That might help you avoid maing
a fool of yourself next time.

William R. James