Grain of Sand

Default So what exactly does Dan Clore do for a living anyway?

In article > ,
"Michael Price" > wrote:

> the US

> from
> > > one

> wages

> > > The wages would rise in the cities with lower wages and lower in the
> > > cities
> > > with higher wages.

> > Yes, the wages in the US would lower, and they do, but what about in
> > Mexico?

> Not what I was talking about. I was talking about the wages in cities in
> the US
> relative to other cities, not relative to Mexico..

Oh, can you cite some evidence? I have been looking any I cannot find
data one way or the other.

> true
> > > for

> impossible
> > > for the

> it
> > >
> > > And you're wrong. Even at minimum wages the cross country bus fares
> > > aren't that much.

> > Move a family of three on a greyhound bus. You're funny.
> >

> It's not much fun, but it can be done. U-hauls exist.

Oh, so now it is a uhaul. what happened to the bus? Uhaulas cost alot
more money then a bus, I know. I use both.

> for

> > > only

> immigration
> > > controls.

> within
> > > the US.

> > > Who says you have to hold one? It's called renting.

> > I was thinking renting. A working poor family renting two apartments?
> > C'mon.
> >

> Ok, you've lost me, why the hell would they need to keep the old
> apartment?

We talking about how mexican families have a father leave to come to the
states. They have two homes.

If someone in the sates tried that it would be more difficult to have
two apartments.

> > > keeping

> that

> time

> let's
> > > focus

> seriously

> But
> > > given

> the

> have

> > > It's more choice that the government gives you.

> > =^o
> >
> > >And actually it is a good choice. It's a choice that gives you the
> > > chance to achieve your potential and be treated as well as it's
> > > worth treating you, which is quite well if you're at all competent.

> > Oh, that's what it is like in corporations. What have I been witnessing
> > all these years?

> I'd say what you deserve.

Oh, yer assumiong I was compliaining about myslef? HE! No, I am
compasionate and I saw people getting screwed who were well under me.

> > > If you prefer working for yourself, go for it, but
> > > propriators are under stricter controls than workers are. You are
> > > whinning about how workers spend 1/3 of their life doing things others
> > > want them to instead of what they want, but that is the inevitable

> result
> > > of any work, not just wage labour. Work by definition is what has to
> > > be done, not what you want done.

> > http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...work&x=15&y=15
> >
> > But I think the UNSPUN definition is widely accepeted as : activity in
> > which one exerts strength or faculties to do or perform something
> >
> > You make it so one has to aquiese to the owner.

> No I don't, you can as I say work for yourself.

Can everone work for themselves at the same time?

> > Anyway, do you think most things produced to day are things that HAVE to
> > be produced?

> No, and thank god for it. But work is what you have to do to get
> something else,
> not what you do because you like it.

So, work for things?

> realize
> > > that

> good
> > > products to

> > > In other words because it doesn't hire people for more than they're

> worth.
> >
> > So Wal Mart determines that worth?
> >

> Well if someone else had a higher opinion of that worth they'd work
> somewhere
> else wouldn't they?

But didn't you start this off by saying that wal mart lowers wages by
emoploying people?

> workers

> > > I don't need to. Fact one, Wal Mart reduces prices,

> > I do not deny that they do. Did I?
> >
> > > fact two only a small
> > > proportion of the communities wage earners work at Wal Mart or it's
> > > competitors and therefore have their wages reduced.

> > One 1999 study reported that 1.5 jobs had been lost for every job that
> > Wal-Mart created. A recent projection by the University of Illinois at
> > Chicago¹s Center for Urban Economic Development concluded that the
> > proposed West-Side Chicago store likely would yield a net decrease of
> > about 65 jobs after that Wal-Mart opens, as other retailers in the same
> > shopping area lose business. A study cited in Business Week as showing
> > modest retail gains after Wal-Marts open actually reported net job
> > losses counting effects on warehousing and surrounding counties.
> >

> Which doesn't actually bear on my point, even if we assume the studies
> weren't
> biased.

why?

> > Wages are low at notoriously anti-union Wal-Mart
> > hour for full-time workers, around $8 for the roughly 45 percent of
> > ³associates² working less than 45 weeks a year. But Wal-Mart also helps
> > hold down wages throughout the retail industry, with a few exceptions
> > like the partly-unionized Costco (where wages average $16 an hour) or
> > more heavily unionized grocery stores. A 1999 study for the Orange
> > County Business Council forecast that the entry of grocery supercenters
> > such as Wal-Mart operates could cost southern California $2.8 billion in
> > lost wages and benefits each year as grocers cut the jobs or wages and
> > benefits of a quarter million largely unionized grocery workers.

No comment?

> > > Which of these
> > > facts is not obvious?

> > The second one.

> The fact that only a smal proportion of the community works at Wal Mart or
> it's competitors? That's not obvious?

So do they create a lot of jobs or a few jobs?

> > Do you really think that becasue they offer "lower" prices that you can
> > ignore anything else about the company?
> >

> I think that because the offer lower price (no scare quotes) you have to
> prove your point. I don't have to prove mine. Lower prices are good.

But you say that wal mart proviodes lower prices. And it looks like they
bait and reel.

> you

> > > In other words nobody wanted what they were selling enough to pay the
> > > economic cost for it.

> > Yes, thank you for shopping at wal mart.

> So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault that
> nobody
> else does.

When they kill other competion is is their fault.

> > > Oh yes, I forgot Wal Mart rounds up Africians and ships them to

> America.
> >
> > NO, they just keep them overseas.
> >

> Where they are voluntarily employed.

No.

> > > Which do you think?

> > Since you did not answer the question I will have to guess the $5 one.
> >

> No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I
> wanted
> cheap stuff.

So, I guess your ok that the $1 shirt was made using a slave laborer.

But it was made in the Daewoosa Factory, where 230 workers, mostly young
women from Vietnam and China, worked under conditions of indentured
servitude. According to records, they were cheated of their meager
wages, beaten, starved, sexually harassed, and threatened with
deportation if they complained. On Feb. 21, 2003, in a court in Hawaii,
the proprietor of the factory, Kil Soo Lee, was found guilty of 14 of 18
counts brought against him for indentured servitude. This factory sewed
clothing for Wal-Mart, under Wal-Mart's "Beach Cabana" label (as well as
producing for other retailers).

But I guess you are fine with the low prices. Me? I would pay the $5.

Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html
Michael Price

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Michael Price" > wrote:
>
> > "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

k.net>,

wrote:

> [...]

s.com...
> [...]

the

this

> > them to

> > purposes.

under

be

totalitarian.
> > You

> > fair

of
> > the

> > otherwise)

the US

from
> > one

wages

> > > I am sorry, can you reword this sentance?
> > >

> > The wages would rise in the cities with lower wages and lower in the
> > cities
> > with higher wages.

> Yes, the wages in the US would lower, and they do, but what about in
> Mexico?

Not what I was talking about. I was talking about the wages in cities in
the US
relative to other cities, not relative to Mexico..

true
> > for

impossible
> > for the
> > >
> > > I did not say it was impossible for the working poor to move. I said

it
> > > was not true for MOST of the working poor.

> > And you're wrong. Even at minimum wages the cross country bus fares
> > aren't that much.

> Move a family of three on a greyhound bus. You're funny.

It's not much fun, but it can be done. U-hauls exist.

> > > I think Nickled and Dimed goes into it a bit. Anyway, it happens. I
> > > don't have the numbers on hand.

for

> > only

immigration
> > controls.

within
> > the US.
> > >
> > > I mean if it happened just in the US. In fact I do no think that could
> > > happpen in the US cause of the difficulty in holding two houses.
> > >

> > Who says you have to hold one? It's called renting.

> I was thinking renting. A working poor family renting two apartments?
> C'mon.

Ok, you've lost me, why the hell would they need to keep the old
apartment?

> > keeping

that

time

let's
> > focus

seriously

But
> > given

the

have

> > > Some choice, one authoritarian company or another.

> > It's more choice that the government gives you.

> =^o
>
> >And actually it is a good choice. It's a choice that gives you the
> > chance to achieve your potential and be treated as well as it's
> > worth treating you, which is quite well if you're at all competent.

> Oh, that's what it is like in corporations. What have I been witnessing
> all these years?

I'd say what you deserve.

> [...]

> > In other words nobody wanted what they were selling enough to pay the
> > economic cost for it.

> Yes, thank you for shopping at wal mart.

So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault that
nobody
else does.

> > > So employment is not voluntary.
> > >

> > Oh yes, I forgot Wal Mart rounds up Africians and ships them to

America.

> NO, they just keep them overseas.

Where they are voluntarily employed.

> > > There arre two companies. They sell the same type of shirt.
> > > A=$5
> > > B=$1
> > >
> > > Which would you buy?
> > >

> > Which do you think?

> Since you did not answer the question I will have to guess the $5 one.

No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I

Michael Price

"Grain of Sand" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Michael Price" > wrote:
>
> > "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

k.net>,

wrote:

> [...]

Ok, you've lost me, why the hell would they need to keep the old
apartment?

> > keeping

that

time

let's
> > focus

seriously

But
> > given

the

have

> > > Some choice, one authoritarian company or another.

> > It's more choice that the government gives you.

> =^o
>
> >And actually it is a good choice. It's a choice that gives you the
> > chance to achieve your potential and be treated as well as it's
> > worth treating you, which is quite well if you're at all competent.

> Oh, that's what it is like in corporations. What have I been witnessing

I'd say what you deserve.

> [...]

> > In other words nobody wanted what they were selling enough to pay the
> > economic cost for it.

> Yes, thank you for shopping at wal mart.

So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault that
nobody
else does.

> > > So employment is not voluntary.
> > >

> > Oh yes, I forgot Wal Mart rounds up Africians and ships them to

America.

> NO, they just keep them overseas.

Where they are voluntarily employed.

> > > There arre two companies. They sell the same type of shirt.
> > > A=$5
> > > B=$1
> > >
> > > Which would you buy?
> > >

> > Which do you think?

> Since you did not answer the question I will have to guess the $5 one.

No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I

Wm James

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:45:55 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one then your
>"rights" might become reality. Until then you are only stating opinions
>versus the reality I speak of .

Ah, so if the Supreme Court were to rule that you have no freedom of
speech, rite to vote, right to a trial, etc, you would say "it's the
law and any argument is just stating opinions"?

Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
branches. Sound good to you?

William R. James

Wm James

wrote:

>And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one then your
>"rights" might become reality. Until then you are only stating opinions
>versus the reality I speak of .

Ah, so if the Supreme Court were to rule that you have no freedom of
speech, rite to vote, right to a trial, etc, you would say "it's the
law and any argument is just stating opinions"?

Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
branches. Sound good to you?

William R. James

G*rd*n

:
> Ok, I agree it's silly to post an argument without anything to refute
> what I said. So yeah, how silly you are.
>
> Do you have something, anything, to refute my point that if business
> owners' rights are as respected as anyone else's, the unions would
> have no power? Guess not...

It's not a "point" which is developed from axioms or evidence
by logic, just an assertion of faith, so it's impossible to
refute, just as any other profession of faith is impossible
to refute. I suppose one could say that the widespread support
of business owners for "right to work" laws and other restrictive
legislation are evidence that the business leaders themselves
believe they require government intervention against unions
to keep them down -- but as I say this has nothing to do with
your "argument", which is carried foward on another plane,
that of pure assertion.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
G*rd*n

:
> Ok, I agree it's silly to post an argument without anything to refute
> what I said. So yeah, how silly you are.
>
> Do you have something, anything, to refute my point that if business
> owners' rights are as respected as anyone else's, the unions would
> have no power? Guess not...

It's not a "point" which is developed from axioms or evidence
by logic, just an assertion of faith, so it's impossible to
refute, just as any other profession of faith is impossible
to refute. I suppose one could say that the widespread support
of business owners for "right to work" laws and other restrictive
legislation are evidence that the business leaders themselves
believe they require government intervention against unions
to keep them down -- but as I say this has nothing to do with
your "argument", which is carried foward on another plane,
that of pure assertion.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
}"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't
Michael Legel

"Wm James" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:45:55 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one then

your
> >"rights" might become reality. Until then you are only stating opinions
> >versus the reality I speak of .
> >

> Ah, so if the Supreme Court were to rule that you have no freedom of
> speech, rite to vote, right to a trial, etc, you would say "it's the
> law and any argument is just stating opinions"?
>
> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
> branches. Sound good to you?
>
> William R. James

Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think the
had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way to
change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where have
you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you or
"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with a
side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

Michael Legel

"Wm James" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:45:55 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one then

your
> >"rights" might become reality. Until then you are only stating opinions
> >versus the reality I speak of .
> >

> Ah, so if the Supreme Court were to rule that you have no freedom of
> speech, rite to vote, right to a trial, etc, you would say "it's the
> law and any argument is just stating opinions"?
>
> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
> branches. Sound good to you?
>
> William R. James

Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think the
had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way to
change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where have
you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you or
"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with a
side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

Mark Fox

> "Dan Clore" > wrote...
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
> > posted by IU/660 on Tuesday June 01 2004 @ 11:44AM PDT
> > June 1, 2004
> > Contact:
> > Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
> >
> > Workers to Schultz: What are you so scared of?
> >
> > New York, NY--The Starbucks Baristas Union and community
> > members across the country have condemned repeated attempts
> > by the company to deny workers a fair vote on the Union.
> > While paying lip-service to respecting the choice of
> > employees, Starbucks has deployed a variety of crude tactics
> > in an effort to defeat the IWW IU/660, which would be the
> > first union certified in the United States at the mammoth chain.
> >
> > Supporters around the country and internationally are
> > contacting Starbucks demanding they live up to their
> > rhetoric. If Starbucks really is a bastion of worker
> > benefits, what is Chairman Howard Schultz, who raked in over
> > $17 million last year, so scared of? The truth is Starbucks,
> > with its poverty wages and rampant repetitive-stress
> > dangers, resembles a sweatshop more than it does a decent
> > place to work.

> Yeah, and all those 20-something college-age Americans are being forced to
> work there against their will, right? I guess YOU would think it's a
> sweatshop, given that you strike me as the type of feminized, spoiled
> cry-baby who has never held a real job one day in his life.

We didn't have Starbucks when I was in college so I flipped burgers, 8
hours a day, six days a week. It sure felt like sweat shop conditions
to me. That's what kept my butt in college.

I support the right of workers to negotiate with one voice. I also
support the right of workers to choose not to join the union if they
don't want to.
Mark Fox

> "Dan Clore" > wrote...
> > News & Views for Anarchists & Activists:
> >
> > Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
> > posted by IU/660 on Tuesday June 01 2004 @ 11:44AM PDT
> > June 1, 2004
> > Contact:
> > Starbucks Obstructing First US Union Vote
> >
> > Workers to Schultz: What are you so scared of?
> >
> > New York, NY--The Starbucks Baristas Union and community
> > members across the country have condemned repeated attempts
> > by the company to deny workers a fair vote on the Union.
> > While paying lip-service to respecting the choice of
> > employees, Starbucks has deployed a variety of crude tactics
> > in an effort to defeat the IWW IU/660, which would be the
> > first union certified in the United States at the mammoth chain.
> >
> > Supporters around the country and internationally are
> > contacting Starbucks demanding they live up to their
> > rhetoric. If Starbucks really is a bastion of worker
> > benefits, what is Chairman Howard Schultz, who raked in over
> > $17 million last year, so scared of? The truth is Starbucks,
> > with its poverty wages and rampant repetitive-stress
> > dangers, resembles a sweatshop more than it does a decent
> > place to work.

> Yeah, and all those 20-something college-age Americans are being forced to
> work there against their will, right? I guess YOU would think it's a
> sweatshop, given that you strike me as the type of feminized, spoiled
> cry-baby who has never held a real job one day in his life.

We didn't have Starbucks when I was in college so I flipped burgers, 8
hours a day, six days a week. It sure felt like sweat shop conditions
to me. That's what kept my butt in college.

I support the right of workers to negotiate with one voice. I also
support the right of workers to choose not to join the union if they
don't want to.
bulba

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:02:23 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>Nobody has any quarrel with you stating your opinions or wishes, but you try
>to make your opinions and wishes sound like fact and reality ... and they
>aren't. You have made it quite clear you think unions suck and you don't want
>to have to live with them. I feel the same about Wal-mart and George Bush.
>The difference is I also understand reality.

No you don't. You're just naive class warrior. Typically this sort of
people think that some sort of classist fiction justifies their
actions and think that if government legalizes this fiction it is
all OK.

By this token of illogic, obviously any illegitimate and unjust
action by any state or government cannot be questioned,
if government/state is the one and only source of legitimacy.

This is stance called legal positivism and it is naive and
obsolete.

You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

wrote:

>Nobody has any quarrel with you stating your opinions or wishes, but you try
>to make your opinions and wishes sound like fact and reality ... and they
>aren't. You have made it quite clear you think unions suck and you don't want
>to have to live with them. I feel the same about Wal-mart and George Bush.
>The difference is I also understand reality.

No you don't. You're just naive class warrior. Typically this sort of
people think that some sort of classist fiction justifies their
actions and think that if government legalizes this fiction it is
all OK.

By this token of illogic, obviously any illegitimate and unjust
action by any state or government cannot be questioned,
if government/state is the one and only source of legitimacy.

This is stance called legal positivism and it is naive and
obsolete.

You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

bulba

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:20:14 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
>> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
>> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
>> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
>> branches. Sound good to you?
>>
>> William R. James

>Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think the
>had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way to
>change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where have
>you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you or
>"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with a
>side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

Again, you definitely show yourself as not only ignorant and complete
idiot, but also to be guilty of what some call "cynicism of the
unworldly" - Supreme Court in USA is supposedly highly sensitive to
whatever political trends are current at the time, but to say that
judges are "bought" is pile of idiocy. It is hallmark of the naive who
take their simpleton's imagination for recognition of grim reality.

In reality, courts are POWER. One of the three branches of
power and more restricted than lawmaking or executive, but
still power. They do not have to be bought or sold, since they
are about power first, and not really mainly about money.

The power doesn't have to buy anything. It just mandates whatever can
be politically defined as legitimate and takes it. It is somewhere
between what Hume called as public opinion being the only thing behind
the government and pure dictatorship. In banana republics power is
bought and sold precisely because it is not real power.

Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

In reality, you're a disgusting creature, a parasite on us all.

I just think that developments in science and politics will
allow people to get rid of parasites like you like we
did get rid of guilds and thuggish clan apparatchiks having
rule over their tribes before.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

wrote:

>> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
>> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
>> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
>> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
>> branches. Sound good to you?
>>
>> William R. James

>Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think the
>had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way to
>change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where have
>you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you or
>"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with a
>side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

Again, you definitely show yourself as not only ignorant and complete
idiot, but also to be guilty of what some call "cynicism of the
unworldly" - Supreme Court in USA is supposedly highly sensitive to
whatever political trends are current at the time, but to say that
judges are "bought" is pile of idiocy. It is hallmark of the naive who
take their simpleton's imagination for recognition of grim reality.

In reality, courts are POWER. One of the three branches of
power and more restricted than lawmaking or executive, but
still power. They do not have to be bought or sold, since they
are about power first, and not really mainly about money.

The power doesn't have to buy anything. It just mandates whatever can
be politically defined as legitimate and takes it. It is somewhere
between what Hume called as public opinion being the only thing behind
the government and pure dictatorship. In banana republics power is
bought and sold precisely because it is not real power.

Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

In reality, you're a disgusting creature, a parasite on us all.

I just think that developments in science and politics will
allow people to get rid of parasites like you like we
did get rid of guilds and thuggish clan apparatchiks having
rule over their tribes before.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

On 30 Jun 2004 13:02:18 -0500, Wm James
> wrote:
>If government didn't assist them in stepping on the
>rights of business owners to trade elsewhere, and if government didn't
>look the other way when they commit crimes against those who refuse to
>honor their strikes, they would be entirely powerless.

It is evident that the idiots here subscribe to combined
notions of naive class warfare mixed with legal positivism.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

On 30 Jun 2004 13:02:18 -0500, Wm James
> wrote:
>If government didn't assist them in stepping on the
>rights of business owners to trade elsewhere, and if government didn't
>look the other way when they commit crimes against those who refuse to
>honor their strikes, they would be entirely powerless.

It is evident that the idiots here subscribe to combined
notions of naive class warfare mixed with legal positivism.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

:
>> Ok, I agree it's silly to post an argument without anything to refute
>> what I said. So yeah, how silly you are.
>>
>> Do you have something, anything, to refute my point that if business
>> owners' rights are as respected as anyone else's, the unions would
>> have no power? Guess not...

>It's not a "point" which is developed from axioms or evidence
>by logic, just an assertion of faith,

Nonsense. wrjames seems to merely hammer on the point
that to muddleheaded people seem as unclear: the
origin of rights. He seems to see them as spelled out in
the US Constitution and hence everything unconstitutional
being plain illegitimate.

This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
about real people in real courts fighting over real
interests.

This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
rule of mob.

>so it's impossible to
>refute, just as any other profession of faith is impossible
>to refute. I suppose one could say that the widespread support
>of business owners for "right to work" laws and other restrictive
>legislation are evidence that the business leaders themselves
>believe they require government intervention against unions
>to keep them down

Well, obviously, if that is the legal environment. What
did you expect? If it is regulated and the state is
the only source of legitimate rights, how can you
not regulate everyone in this particular issue?

This is the stance that EU takes.

>-- but as I say this has nothing to do with
>your "argument", which is carried foward on another plane,
>that of pure assertion.

Rubbish.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

bulba

:
>> Ok, I agree it's silly to post an argument without anything to refute
>> what I said. So yeah, how silly you are.
>>
>> Do you have something, anything, to refute my point that if business
>> owners' rights are as respected as anyone else's, the unions would
>> have no power? Guess not...

>It's not a "point" which is developed from axioms or evidence
>by logic, just an assertion of faith,

Nonsense. wrjames seems to merely hammer on the point
that to muddleheaded people seem as unclear: the
origin of rights. He seems to see them as spelled out in
the US Constitution and hence everything unconstitutional
being plain illegitimate.

This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
about real people in real courts fighting over real
interests.

This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
rule of mob.

>so it's impossible to
>refute, just as any other profession of faith is impossible
>to refute. I suppose one could say that the widespread support
>of business owners for "right to work" laws and other restrictive
>legislation are evidence that the business leaders themselves
>believe they require government intervention against unions
>to keep them down

Well, obviously, if that is the legal environment. What
did you expect? If it is regulated and the state is
the only source of legitimate rights, how can you
not regulate everyone in this particular issue?

This is the stance that EU takes.

>-- but as I say this has nothing to do with
>your "argument", which is carried foward on another plane,
>that of pure assertion.

Rubbish.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
G*rd*n

:

:

bulba >:
> Nonsense. wrjames seems to merely hammer on the point
> that to muddleheaded people seem as unclear: the
> origin of rights. He seems to see them as spelled out in
> the US Constitution and hence everything unconstitutional
> being plain illegitimate.
>
> This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
> about real people in real courts fighting over real
> interests.
>
> This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
> or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
> find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
> rule of mob.

You're welcome to point out any logical development which
leads from the liberal rights to wrjames's (apparently
self-contradictory) contention that "[Unions] are evil by
virtue of the fact that they cannot function without infringing
on the rights of others. In theory they can, but in reality,
they can't." I don't see it. He acknowledges that "theory",
that is, axioms, evidence and logic point the other way, so I
take it "reality" is an appeal to mystical knowledge, but it
might be connected to _something_ -- who knows? Do you?

As for "collective rights", I never said anything about
collective rights that I can recall -- I don't know what it
is you're talking about. Labor unions rest on _individual_
rights -- of expression, contract, association, and
representation.

bulba >:
> Well, obviously, if that is the legal environment. What
> did you expect? If it is regulated and the state is
> the only source of legitimate rights, how can you
> not regulate everyone in this particular issue?
>
> This is the stance that EU takes.

Yes, I was merely noting there was some evidence that many
business leaders do not share wrjames's profession of faith,
but it is not possible to prove anything against that faith.
As I also just said.

bulba >:
> Rubbish.

When you can't summon evidence and reason to justify your
obvious class prejudice, by all means resort to bad language.
It sets off my position very nicely.
--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
G*rd*n

:

:

bulba >:
> Rubbish.

When you can't summon evidence and reason to justify your
obvious class prejudice, by all means resort to bad language.
It sets off my position very nicely.
--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
}"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't

Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:02:23 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >Nobody has any quarrel with you stating your opinions or wishes, but you

try
> >to make your opinions and wishes sound like fact and reality ... and they
> >aren't. You have made it quite clear you think unions suck and you don't

want
> >to have to live with them. I feel the same about Wal-mart and George Bush.
> >The difference is I also understand reality.

> No you don't. You're just naive class warrior. Typically this sort of
> people think that some sort of classist fiction justifies their
> actions and think that if government legalizes this fiction it is
> all OK.
>
> By this token of illogic, obviously any illegitimate and unjust
> action by any state or government cannot be questioned,
> if government/state is the one and only source of legitimacy.
>
> This is stance called legal positivism and it is naive and
> obsolete.
>
> You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
> Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
> of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.

And I should argue with a scumbag who quotes Lenin to me. I think laws should
be questioned. I think people should work to change laws. But I also think
it is sheer stupidity to say a law one disagrees with doesn't exist or won't
be enforced.

Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:02:23 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >Nobody has any quarrel with you stating your opinions or wishes, but you

try
> >to make your opinions and wishes sound like fact and reality ... and they
> >aren't. You have made it quite clear you think unions suck and you don't

want
> >to have to live with them. I feel the same about Wal-mart and George Bush.
> >The difference is I also understand reality.

> No you don't. You're just naive class warrior. Typically this sort of
> people think that some sort of classist fiction justifies their
> actions and think that if government legalizes this fiction it is
> all OK.
>
> By this token of illogic, obviously any illegitimate and unjust
> action by any state or government cannot be questioned,
> if government/state is the one and only source of legitimacy.
>
> This is stance called legal positivism and it is naive and
> obsolete.
>
> You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
> Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
> of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.

And I should argue with a scumbag who quotes Lenin to me. I think laws should
be questioned. I think people should work to change laws. But I also think
it is sheer stupidity to say a law one disagrees with doesn't exist or won't
be enforced.

Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:20:14 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
> >> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
> >> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
> >> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
> >> branches. Sound good to you?
> >>
> >> William R. James

> >Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think

the
> >had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way

> >change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where

have
> >you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you

or
> >"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with

> >side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

> Again, you definitely show yourself as not only ignorant and complete
> idiot, but also to be guilty of what some call "cynicism of the
> unworldly" - Supreme Court in USA is supposedly highly sensitive to
> whatever political trends are current at the time, but to say that
> judges are "bought" is pile of idiocy. It is hallmark of the naive who
> take their simpleton's imagination for recognition of grim reality.
>
> In reality, courts are POWER. One of the three branches of
> power and more restricted than lawmaking or executive, but
> still power. They do not have to be bought or sold, since they
> are about power first, and not really mainly about money.
>
> The power doesn't have to buy anything. It just mandates whatever can
> be politically defined as legitimate and takes it. It is somewhere
> between what Hume called as public opinion being the only thing behind
> the government and pure dictatorship. In banana republics power is
> bought and sold precisely because it is not real power.
>
> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.
>
> In reality, you're a disgusting creature, a parasite on us all.
>
> I just think that developments in science and politics will
> allow people to get rid of parasites like you like we
> did get rid of guilds and thuggish clan apparatchiks having
> rule over their tribes before.

You do have a reading comprehension problem don't you? Who said anything
about the Supremes being "bought" (except you of course). I simply said I
disagreed with their decision. My disagreement in no way changes the outcome.
You certainly are excitable with all your crude insults and ridiculous
aspersions. Maturity may never be a personal outcome for you.

Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:20:14 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
> wrote:
>
> >> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
> >> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
> >> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
> >> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
> >> branches. Sound good to you?
> >>
> >> William R. James

> >Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think

the
> >had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did. Unless you can figure out a way

> >change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship". Where

have
> >you been you idiot? As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you

or
> >"think ought to be" ... but what is reality. You summed it up nicely with

> >side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

> Again, you definitely show yourself as not only ignorant and complete
> idiot, but also to be guilty of what some call "cynicism of the
> unworldly" - Supreme Court in USA is supposedly highly sensitive to
> whatever political trends are current at the time, but to say that
> judges are "bought" is pile of idiocy. It is hallmark of the naive who
> take their simpleton's imagination for recognition of grim reality.
>
> In reality, courts are POWER. One of the three branches of
> power and more restricted than lawmaking or executive, but
> still power. They do not have to be bought or sold, since they
> are about power first, and not really mainly about money.
>
> The power doesn't have to buy anything. It just mandates whatever can
> be politically defined as legitimate and takes it. It is somewhere
> between what Hume called as public opinion being the only thing behind
> the government and pure dictatorship. In banana republics power is
> bought and sold precisely because it is not real power.
>
> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.
>
> In reality, you're a disgusting creature, a parasite on us all.
>
> I just think that developments in science and politics will
> allow people to get rid of parasites like you like we
> did get rid of guilds and thuggish clan apparatchiks having
> rule over their tribes before.

You do have a reading comprehension problem don't you? Who said anything
about the Supremes being "bought" (except you of course). I simply said I
disagreed with their decision. My disagreement in no way changes the outcome.
You certainly are excitable with all your crude insults and ridiculous
aspersions. Maturity may never be a personal outcome for you.

johnebravo836

bulba wrote:

[big snip]

> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

You seem to be confusing moral and legal rights. I don't think anyone
anywhere believes that "what is right and what is not is clearly limited
to current legal code". That only determines what is legal -- or what
you have a "legal right" to do, if you will. Moral rights are entirely
different, and everyone understands that; no one in the thread has
argued differently. You're throwing out a red herring here.

johnebravo836

bulba wrote:

[big snip]

> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

You seem to be confusing moral and legal rights. I don't think anyone
anywhere believes that "what is right and what is not is clearly limited
to current legal code". That only determines what is legal -- or what
you have a "legal right" to do, if you will. Moral rights are entirely
different, and everyone understands that; no one in the thread has
argued differently. You're throwing out a red herring here.

bulba

Here's what you wrote, scumbag:

"And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one
then your "rights" might become reality. "

And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
unconstitutional as a child would.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

wrote:

>You do have a reading comprehension problem don't you? Who said anything
>about the Supremes being "bought" (except you of course). I simply said I
>disagreed with their decision. My disagreement in no way changes the outcome.
>You certainly are excitable with all your crude insults and ridiculous
>aspersions. Maturity may never be a personal outcome for you.

Here's what you wrote, scumbag:

"And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one
then your "rights" might become reality. "

And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
unconstitutional as a child would.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message

> And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
> unconstitutional as a child would.

I didn't evade anything. The Supreme Court decides what is constitutional and
they have decided unions have a right to exist. You, on the other hand, get
to decide very little ... evidently including your own thought processes ...
without interjecting the word "scumbag" every several sentences. As I said
before, maturity is not your strong suit.

Michael Legel

"bulba" > wrote in message

> And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
> unconstitutional as a child would.

I didn't evade anything. The Supreme Court decides what is constitutional and
they have decided unions have a right to exist. You, on the other hand, get
to decide very little ... evidently including your own thought processes ...
without interjecting the word "scumbag" every several sentences. As I said
before, maturity is not your strong suit.

bulba

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:53:57 -0400, johnebravo836
> wrote:

>bulba wrote:
>
>[big snip]
>
>> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
>> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
>> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

>You seem to be confusing moral and legal rights.

I make mental shortcuts to cover large swaths of
problems, true, but rest assured I have no problem
of distingushing moral and legal rights.

This is actually more complicated problem of legitimacy
of laws. This is not academic problem - were various
clearly unjust laws made in Soviet Union or by Saddam
Hussein legitimate or not? If not, how it happens that
this law is legitimate and this law is not? If one
of them is illegitimate, how can we see other laws
necessary to maintain social order as legitimate
and how do we distinguish between them? Which
laws to follow and which laws not to follow? Nobody
follows all the laws and the police is not that
stupid to enforce some clearly ridiculous or
totally socially unacceptable laws. The theory
is simple, the practice is not.

There has to be more solid basis for that than the side
of political fence we are on. There are various legal
theories of what is it that makes a law legitimate, from
legal positivism to "judge sovereignty" to tomism (legal
doctrines developed from St Thomas Aquinnas)
to natural rights.

>I don't think anyone
>anywhere believes that "what is right and what is not is clearly limited
>to current legal code".

This clearly seems to me as the assumption behind Legel's
stance: to hell with US Constitution, to hell with
freedom of association, current govt bureaucracy
says my union is legal, so implicitly it is _legitimate_.

I'm not arguing that his unionized thuggish behavior
is not _legalized_ by government. I'm not that simpleminded.

I'm arguing it is _illegitimate_, parasitic and socially
destructive, in the way that law forbidding you to
question the commie party actions in the Soviet Union
was.

>That only determines what is legal -- or what
>you have a "legal right" to do, if you will. Moral rights are entirely
>different, and everyone understands that; no one in the thread has
>argued differently. You're throwing out a red herring here.

Not really, it's just an issue is complicated.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:53:57 -0400, johnebravo836
> wrote:

>bulba wrote:
>
>[big snip]
>
>> Your definitions of what is right and what is not is clearly limited
>> to current legal code supported by thin argument of the childish
>> class warrior. A political naiviete combined with a thug.

>You seem to be confusing moral and legal rights.

I make mental shortcuts to cover large swaths of
problems, true, but rest assured I have no problem
of distingushing moral and legal rights.

This is actually more complicated problem of legitimacy
of laws. This is not academic problem - were various
clearly unjust laws made in Soviet Union or by Saddam
Hussein legitimate or not? If not, how it happens that
this law is legitimate and this law is not? If one
of them is illegitimate, how can we see other laws
necessary to maintain social order as legitimate
and how do we distinguish between them? Which
laws to follow and which laws not to follow? Nobody
follows all the laws and the police is not that
stupid to enforce some clearly ridiculous or
totally socially unacceptable laws. The theory
is simple, the practice is not.

There has to be more solid basis for that than the side
of political fence we are on. There are various legal
theories of what is it that makes a law legitimate, from
legal positivism to "judge sovereignty" to tomism (legal
doctrines developed from St Thomas Aquinnas)
to natural rights.

>I don't think anyone
>anywhere believes that "what is right and what is not is clearly limited
>to current legal code".

This clearly seems to me as the assumption behind Legel's
stance: to hell with US Constitution, to hell with
freedom of association, current govt bureaucracy
says my union is legal, so implicitly it is _legitimate_.

I'm not arguing that his unionized thuggish behavior
is not _legalized_ by government. I'm not that simpleminded.

I'm arguing it is _illegitimate_, parasitic and socially
destructive, in the way that law forbidding you to
question the commie party actions in the Soviet Union
was.

>That only determines what is legal -- or what
>you have a "legal right" to do, if you will. Moral rights are entirely
>different, and everyone understands that; no one in the thread has
>argued differently. You're throwing out a red herring here.

Not really, it's just an issue is complicated.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:09:00 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>> You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
>> Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
>> of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.
>>

>And I should argue with a scumbag who quotes Lenin to me. I think laws should
>be questioned. I think people should work to change laws. But I also think
>it is sheer stupidity to say a law one disagrees with doesn't exist or won't
>be enforced.

Oh but there are lots of laws that are made and then not enforced by
the police, from silly like Scottish law treating someone's private
toilet as public toilet to impractical laws like American telecom
laws forcing three parties to cooperate in setting up digital
subscriber's line (it doesnt' really work).

It is reality of situation, largely but not only social reality
of situation, that makes this law reasonable or unreasonable,
legitimate or illegitimate. In your case, you commit what French
economist Frederic Bastiat called "legal plunder".

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

wrote:

>> You understand nothing from the reality. You are merely what
>> Lenin described as "useful idiot" - increasing mindless power
>> of state so you could paint your petty theft in nice colors.
>>

>And I should argue with a scumbag who quotes Lenin to me. I think laws should
>be questioned. I think people should work to change laws. But I also think
>it is sheer stupidity to say a law one disagrees with doesn't exist or won't
>be enforced.

Oh but there are lots of laws that are made and then not enforced by
the police, from silly like Scottish law treating someone's private
toilet as public toilet to impractical laws like American telecom
laws forcing three parties to cooperate in setting up digital
subscriber's line (it doesnt' really work).

It is reality of situation, largely but not only social reality
of situation, that makes this law reasonable or unreasonable,
legitimate or illegitimate. In your case, you commit what French
economist Frederic Bastiat called "legal plunder".

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

On 6 Jul 2004 12:02:28 -0400, (G*rd*n) wrote:

>> This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
>> about real people in real courts fighting over real
>> interests.
>>
>> This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
>> or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
>> find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
>> rule of mob.

>You're welcome to point out any logical development which
>leads from the liberal rights to wrjames's (apparently
>self-contradictory) contention that "[Unions] are evil by
>virtue of the fact that they cannot function without infringing
>on the rights of others. In theory they can, but in reality,
>they can't." I don't see it.

I'd say that he relies on econ theory here - that the cartel
can't function without power of the state. Bc customer
simply goes elsewhe telecom customer that is ****ed
off at poor service can't go to the competing company
if the national telecom lobbied for "regulating" competition
out of existence. In my country until a few years ago it
was ILLEGAL for any telecom company to have links with
any foreign operator. By the power of the state it was
mandated that the only telecom having right to do that is
national telecom.

So the only way to prevent the buyer - of labor, telecom
service, or bread - from going elsewher is "regulation"
by the state that raises barriers of entry into a market.
This is typical for banking sector: psychological insecurity
of people makes regulation of banks so elaborated and
excessive, that while you may set up your own brake shop
(and kill people cause you just hate your customers) all right
or bakery (and poison people cause you want them dead
dead dead - don't you know that Hobbes enlightened us
all that life in bakery is short, nasty and brutish) all right
and even telecom company, the very thought of setting
up a bank is ridiculous for any but the small group of
people who are not only very rich, but politically connected.

The argument here, to be honest, is also made that
worker is in weaker position than the employer and
so this sort of negotiation process is "skewed" in terms
of power to the employer. This is obviously hot
and controversial point, some liking it for ideological
reasons, some hating it for different ideological
reasons.

I find this argument mostly dubious. The
reality, IMHO, is that someone needs to buy service
of that worker or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there are
ways of getting rid of him, from mobbing to
appointing the work that is not appropriate for
this worker. It is a delicate negotiation process,
where hamfisted approach of government can
do more harm than good I think. A cause,
e.g. economic need to lay workers off may
be there, but the law forbidding to do so may
actually result in what some other laws may aim
to prevent, like persecution of workers. In
this vein, unions as they are today I just
find this reversal of that persecution process.
Employers practicing it sometimes on workers
doesn't make workers practicing it on employers
right.

There obviously are orthogonal issues he like
personality clashes. I've seen that only once,
this owner of the car dealearship was humiliating
his dealer in front of customers (he seemed to
find him incompetent but was not firing him
for some reason) and that guy was saying nothing.

He was probably afraid of losing his job bc
with unemployment running at 19% it's going
to be a bit hard (and Americans whine about
how bad their labor market is at the moment).

Obviously, there are lots of laws restricting
firing workers and huge taxes here (social
security is about 49% of take home pay and
that's before income tax and VAT on most
things), so it is not surprising the laws
designed to protect workers result in the
high unemployment and accordingly put
workers in poor negotiating position - lots
of supply of labor and little demand for it,
because the businesses simply don't have
that much turnover to hire workers and
bear the dead costs associated with their
labor or else they'd go chapter 11, so
the laws are paradoxically the source of
wrongdoings like I described. The irony.

>He acknowledges that "theory",
>that is, axioms, evidence and logic point the other way, so I
>take it "reality" is an appeal to mystical knowledge, but it
>might be connected to _something_ -- who knows? Do you?

>As for "collective rights", I never said anything about
>collective rights that I can recall -- I don't know what it
>is you're talking about.

You defended unions. That has to rest on some arguments.
Unions can't just hang in the rhetorical void or else they
are creation of rule of might makes right.

>Labor unions rest on _individual_
>rights -- of expression, contract, association, and
>representation.

Oh, OK. But that is rather unusual defense of unions.
Never seen it in fact.

Typically, the defense is based on "collective right
to bargain" or more simply, "collective rights of
workers".

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.