Old 19-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Dan Clore

Default Starbucks Workers Join IWW

Starbucks Workers Move to Unionize
NewsMax Wires
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

New York, NY -- Starbucks workers here have organized a
union with the Industrial Workers of the World IU/660 and
have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election.

The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks
Baristas union certified in the country. Starbucks Baristas
at the 36th and Madison location in Midtown Manhattan have
come together in an effort to raise themselves out of
poverty as well as to achieve respect and dignity on the
job. The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as
the election approaches.

"Behind the green aprons and smiles are individuals living
in serious poverty," said Daniel Gross, a worker at the
store. "Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee
shop, we just deserve better. Starbucks cashes in on a
community friendly image but it certainly doesn't extend to
their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

Starbucks is a $15 billion company with over 7,500 locations
around the world, but workers have most emphatically not
shared in their success. In New York City with one of the
highest costs of living in the world, Starbucks workers
start at $7.75 an hour and eventually receive raises
amounting to merely a few cents.

Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week thus making it exceedingly difficult for
workers to budget for necessities like rent, utilities, and
food.

"I come to work and I work hard," said Maureen Medianero,
23, who has worked at Starbucks for almost 2 years. "But I'm
still hanging on by a shoe string not knowing if I can make
ends meet to support my daughter. It's frightening."

Although Starbuck workers serve an enormous volume of
beverages, many of them extremely hot, in order to save
money management refuses to schedule enough workers to do
the required work safely. Instead, workers are forced to
perform their duties at unsafe speeds with an undue level of
physical exertion.

"A Starbucks coffee shop is an ergonomic minefield. The
stores are supposed to mimic an Italian cafe without
considering the uncomfortable bending and reaching we have
to do," explained Barista Anthony Polanco. "This isn't your
mom and pop coffee shop, we're talking McDonald's busy every
day. Starbucks talks about 'Creating Warmth' but the only
warmth I feel is the heat pad at the end of the day."

The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), founded in 1905,
is a union dedicated to workplace democracy. IWW IU/660
represents workers in the retail industry.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

Old 19-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Peter Foster

Default Starbucks' _Baristas_?

Dan Clore wrote in message ...
"The workers are poised to become the first Starbucks Baristas
union... Baristas are the cornerstone of a Starbucks coffee"

Baristas?

Is he alluding to those people who push a button on a *$s-modified
Thermoplan 'Black and White' Automatic to generate an 'espresso'-style
coffee beverage?

Old 20-05-2004, 12:37 AM

Dan, you should get off your high horse! These people work their asses
off to provide a product that a lot of people want. I, for one, am happy
to see them start to organize. I can only hope that the corporate office
doesn't squash their early attempts. I know that bashing Starbucks is the
trendy thing to do here, but these are people too, and they deserve just
as much respect as you do. The next time you feel the need to feel
superior to someone who's trade you find below you, just remember that they
are people too, just trying to make a living.

--Brett

Old 20-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Jack Denver

"Starbucks workers ,,,,,have submitted union cards today to the NLRB for a
certification election."

This means that the union has not yet been certified and may never be
certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union? Or
perhaps this will become the first, experimental self-service *$?

"The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
approaches."

What law is *$ violating?

"Starbucks cashes in on a community friendly image but it certainly doesn't
extend to their workers or coffee farmers. That's why we went Union."

So joining the union will help coffee farmers? How?

"Starbucks has also developed a scheme whereby all Baristas
work on a part-time basis and are not guaranteed any amount
of hours per week ."

Yes, they've even given a name to this fiendish evil "scheme". They call a
it a "part time job". Bwahahahahah

Other things unmentioned:

Beside the wages, *$ workers receive tip income.

A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

"Peter Foster" wrote in message
om...

Old 20-05-2004, 10:59 AM
D. Ross

| certified. Even if it is, it will be at this one *$ branch. What are the
| odds that *$ will renew the lease on this location if they go union?

At 36th and Madison? I'm guessing 100%.

| "The workers are calling on Starbucks to obey the law as the election
| approaches."
|
| What law is *$ violating?

I don't see any claim that they are currently violating a law. I assume
they are trying to preempt Starbucks from using intimidation tactics against
the workers engaged in organizing. I have no idea if the NYC *$ management
would be inclined to break the law in this way, evidently the employees
involved (who know them best) have determined that a little reminder might
be useful.

| A *$ job is not supposed to be a career - they are intended as a short term
| stepping stone jobs for students, actors, people with nose rings, etc. and
| not meant for you to be able to support a family on.

Isn't this what the auto magnates and coal mine owners used to say?-)

- David R.

--
http://www.demitasse.net
Old 20-05-2004, 10:59 AM
D. Ross

Old 20-05-2004, 04:13 PM
JR

I didn't know the "wobblies" still existed.

JR

Old 20-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Ernesto Nevarez

if the poster in this newsgroup could forward to the above ng's as I'm not
listed in them. thanx.

In the Los Angeles harbor there are 10,000 troqueros who are probably
organizing as wobblies without even knowing it. It is not a question as to
whether the IWW exist but rather as to whether the conditions for wobbly
style organizing exist or are coming back. The recent spike in truck driver
"troquero" activity in California will be a major test of the need for
wobbly style organizing. Los Angeles troqueros have been very receptive but
will it go nationwide? Is the "big bang" really gonna happen?

Below is a recent IWW flyer being circulated to California troqueros;

¿Quíenes son los Trabajadores Industriales del Mundo?

Los Trabajadores Industriales del Mundo (IWW en inglés) es un sindicato
internacional para todos los trabajadores. Los miembros del IWW se organizan
para obtener mejores condiciones laborales hoy y construir un mundo con
democracia económica mañana. Queremos que nuestros puestos de trabajo y que
el mundo entero sean para beneficio de los trabajadores y sus comunidades en
vez de beneficiar a unos cuantos patronos solamente.

Desde 1905 hemos tomado parte en muchas luchas, incluyendo los sucesos en el
Puerto de San Pedro que determinaron la fundación del ILWU.

Creemos que los troqueros de Long Beach y Los Angeles necesitan un sindicato
que unifique su poder colectivo para obtener sus demandas. El sindicato
deberá mantener y fortalecer la organización que los troqueros han
construído
a lo largo de muchos años. El sindicato contribuirá a organizar a los
trabajadores y creará un frente unido para confrontar a los patronos.

En el IWW creemos en:
Sindicalismo industrial: Una ofensa a uno es una ofensa a todos. Nosotros no
nos organizamos separadamente por oficios, nosotros organizamos a todos los
trabajadores. Con organización y solidaridad en el trabajo, a través de
todas
las industrias, nuestras demandas son mucho más efectivas.

Sindicalismo democrático. El sindicato está bajo el control de los
trabajadores. No potenciamos burócratas. Todos los oficiales del sindicato
son elegidos democráticamente, y solamente hay un empleado a sueldo en toda
la organización internacional. Nos ayudamos mutamente para aprender cómo
debemos combatir al patrón para ganar.

Acción directa. Dependemos de nuestra propia fuerza para obtener nuestras
demandas. No damos dinero a ningún politico ni a ningún partido. Los
troqueros han demonstrado recientemente el poder de la acción directa cuando
cerraron una terminal hasta obtener el re-empleo de los trabajadores que
fueron despedidos.

El trabajador en control. El mundo no se mueve sin nuestra labor. Los
trabajadores tenemos el poder de decidir nuestro futuro si nos organizamos y
luchamos juntos. Los troqueros demonstraron ese poder el 30 de abril cuando
pararon el sistema de transportación de California.

!Únete a nosotros! No es necesario que tu puesto de trabajo esté afiliado al
IWW para poder hacerte miembro. Nuestras cuotas van de $6 a $18 mensuales
dependiendo de tu sueldo. La mitad de tus cuotas van a la oficina
internacional y la otra mitad a tu ramo local para financiar la labor de
organización. Ponte en contacto con un delegado o por Internet: http://
www.iww.org

!Trabajadores Unidos!
Los Angeles Flores Magón General Membership Branch
PO Box 91691, Pasadena CA 91109

I.W.W. Oficina Internacional
PO Box 13476, Philadelphia, PA 19101
(215) 222-1905

To Subscribe, send a blank message to

Para enviar un mensaje,háganlo a

Para salir del grupo envíe un mensaje en blanco a

om...

Old 21-05-2004, 01:14 AM
bodi

The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.

Old 21-05-2004, 01:14 AM
bodi

The freaks at the local starbucks are already way too wobbly for my liking.