bulba

Default Starbucks Obstructing First Union Vote

On 6 Jul 2004 12:02:28 -0400, (G*rd*n) wrote:

>> This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
>> about real people in real courts fighting over real
>> interests.
>>
>> This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
>> or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
>> find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
>> rule of mob.

>You're welcome to point out any logical development which
>leads from the liberal rights to wrjames's (apparently
>self-contradictory) contention that "[Unions] are evil by
>virtue of the fact that they cannot function without infringing
>on the rights of others. In theory they can, but in reality,
>they can't." I don't see it.

I'd say that he relies on econ theory here - that the cartel
can't function without power of the state. Bc customer
simply goes elsewhe telecom customer that is ****ed
off at poor service can't go to the competing company
if the national telecom lobbied for "regulating" competition
out of existence. In my country until a few years ago it
was ILLEGAL for any telecom company to have links with
any foreign operator. By the power of the state it was
mandated that the only telecom having right to do that is
national telecom.

So the only way to prevent the buyer - of labor, telecom
service, or bread - from going elsewher is "regulation"
by the state that raises barriers of entry into a market.
This is typical for banking sector: psychological insecurity
of people makes regulation of banks so elaborated and
excessive, that while you may set up your own brake shop
(and kill people cause you just hate your customers) all right
or bakery (and poison people cause you want them dead
dead dead - don't you know that Hobbes enlightened us
all that life in bakery is short, nasty and brutish) all right
and even telecom company, the very thought of setting
up a bank is ridiculous for any but the small group of
people who are not only very rich, but politically connected.

The argument here, to be honest, is also made that
worker is in weaker position than the employer and
so this sort of negotiation process is "skewed" in terms
of power to the employer. This is obviously hot
and controversial point, some liking it for ideological
reasons, some hating it for different ideological
reasons.

I find this argument mostly dubious. The
reality, IMHO, is that someone needs to buy service
of that worker or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there are
ways of getting rid of him, from mobbing to
appointing the work that is not appropriate for
this worker. It is a delicate negotiation process,
where hamfisted approach of government can
do more harm than good I think. A cause,
e.g. economic need to lay workers off may
be there, but the law forbidding to do so may
actually result in what some other laws may aim
to prevent, like persecution of workers. In
this vein, unions as they are today I just
find this reversal of that persecution process.
Employers practicing it sometimes on workers
doesn't make workers practicing it on employers
right.

There obviously are orthogonal issues he like
personality clashes. I've seen that only once,
this owner of the car dealearship was humiliating
his dealer in front of customers (he seemed to
find him incompetent but was not firing him
for some reason) and that guy was saying nothing.

He was probably afraid of losing his job bc
with unemployment running at 19% it's going
to be a bit hard (and Americans whine about
how bad their labor market is at the moment).

Obviously, there are lots of laws restricting
firing workers and huge taxes here (social
security is about 49% of take home pay and
that's before income tax and VAT on most
things), so it is not surprising the laws
designed to protect workers result in the
high unemployment and accordingly put
workers in poor negotiating position - lots
of supply of labor and little demand for it,
because the businesses simply don't have
that much turnover to hire workers and
bear the dead costs associated with their
labor or else they'd go chapter 11, so
the laws are paradoxically the source of
wrongdoings like I described. The irony.

>He acknowledges that "theory",
>that is, axioms, evidence and logic point the other way, so I
>take it "reality" is an appeal to mystical knowledge, but it
>might be connected to _something_ -- who knows? Do you?

>As for "collective rights", I never said anything about
>collective rights that I can recall -- I don't know what it
>is you're talking about.

You defended unions. That has to rest on some arguments.
Unions can't just hang in the rhetorical void or else they
are creation of rule of might makes right.

>Labor unions rest on _individual_
>rights -- of expression, contract, association, and
>representation.

Oh, OK. But that is rather unusual defense of unions.
Never seen it in fact.

Typically, the defense is based on "collective right
to bargain" or more simply, "collective rights of
workers".

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Grain of Sand

Default So what exactly does Dan Clore do for a living anyway?

In article > ,
"Michael Price" > wrote:

> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

> In
> > > the US

> moving
> > > from

> > > wages

> the

> > > Not what I was talking about. I was talking about the wages in cities

> in
> > > the US
> > > relative to other cities, not relative to Mexico..

> > Oh, can you cite some evidence? I have been looking any I cannot find
> > data one way or the other.
> >

> Evidence for what? I may be confused but you seem to be asking for
> evidence
> of things you have already claimed and I have already accepted, to wit, that
> wages are fairly constant between US cities.

> not
> > > true
> > > impossible

> said
> > > it

> fares

> > > It's not much fun, but it can be done. U-hauls exist.

> > Oh, so now it is a uhaul. what happened to the bus?

> You can change cities even without a U-haul.

Family of three? Yes, you can. won't have much left. But that's cool for
me. But is that how others feel? will they make a decision to quit a job
and move if it meant giving up many of their possesions.

Get real man.

> > Uhaulas cost alot more money then a bus, I know. I use both.

> Both are within the budgets of moderately economical workers.

So now you are setting limitations. what is the "budget of moderately
economical worker"?

and doesn't that mean it is out of reach for the others?

> families
> > > for

> the
> > > immigration
> > > within

> could

> > > Ok, you've lost me, why the hell would they need to keep the old
> > > apartment?

> > We talking about how mexican families have a father leave to come to the
> > states. They have two homes.
> >
> > If someone in the sates tried that it would be more difficult to have
> > two apartments.

> Well I didn't think that was what we were talking about. As I pointed out
> this is unnecessary for US families.

They are stuck. As I pointed out and is what happens.

And if it was so easy to move wouldn't unemployment rate for an area go
DOWN when an area was depressed?

> fences

> doing
> > > that

> some
> > > time
> > > let's

> government?

> > > seriously

> > > But

> choose
> > > the

> Companies
> > > have

> witnessing
> > >
> > > I'd say what you deserve.

> > Oh, yer assumiong I was compliaining about myslef? HE! No, I am
> > compasionate and I saw people getting screwed who were well under me.
> >

> Then tell them to quit.

Nah, I tell them to be modern luddites until they do not have to quit to
work foor another corporation again.

> others
> > > result

> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...work&x=15&y=15

> > > No I don't, you can as I say work for yourself.

> > Can everone work for themselves at the same time?
> >

> I don't know, but it's hardly relevent unless you think we are getting
> close to the limit, we aren't.

Let me help. An extremely samll minority of people work for themselves
in the US. If people did not work fro others there would be no more
capitalism.

> > > No, and thank god for it. But work is what you have to do to get
> > > something else, not what you do because you like it.

> > So, work for things?
> >

> Well yes, what else do you work for?

Peace. Food. But food tio me is not a thing. A TV is a thing. I guess
you are a maretialist?

> > > realize

> cause

> is a
> > > good

> they're
> > > worth.

> > > Well if someone else had a higher opinion of that worth they'd work
> > > somewhere else wouldn't they?

> > But didn't you start this off by saying that wal mart lowers wages by
> > employing people?

> I was being ironic.

Are you sure?

> > > workers

> same
> > > >
> > > Which doesn't actually bear on my point, even if we assume the studies
> > > weren't biased.

> > why?
> >

> Oh figure it out.

=^o

Next time do not make a statement if you do not want to bother
describing it further.

I cannot, in fact, begin to wrap my head aroung your statement.

> helps

> supercenters

> in

> > No comment?

> What need be said? Someone wanted a study that made Wal-Mart look and
> and they got it. There is no mention of the benefits of Wal Mart just the
> cost.

Oh. So if a study disagrees with you beliefs you just shrug it off as
biased? Every one knows the "benefits" wal mart advertises. "Low Prices"

> > > The fact that only a small proportion of the community works at Wal

> Mart or
> > > it's competitors? That's not obvious?

> > So do they create a lot of jobs or a few jobs?

> It doesn't matter.

One job vs one hundred matters.

> can
> > > >
> > > I think that because the offer lower price (no scare quotes) you have

> > > prove your point. I don't have to prove mine. Lower prices are good.

> > But you say that wal mart proviodes lower prices. And it looks like they
> > bait and reel.

> No it doesn't.

again, why?

> belief,

> shops,
> > > you

> offer

> with

> the

> > > So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault

> that
> > > nobody else does.

> > When they kill other competion is is their fault.

> No it isn't. The success or failure of competitors is the fault or virtue
> of the
> competitors.

Err....it is both, at least. No samll business can compete with wal mart
when the come into town.

> > > America.

> > > Where they are voluntarily employed.

> > No.

> Oh, I give up you just like saying things that aren't true.

Do you know what it is like for the life of someone as an indetured
servant? Do you know that police come into towns and tkae kids to work
in these factories?

> > > No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I
> > > wanted
> > > cheap stuff.

> > So, I guess your ok that the $1 shirt was made using a slave laborer.
> >
> > But it was made in the Daewoosa Factory, where 230 workers, mostly young
> > women from Vietnam and China, worked under conditions of indentured
> > servitude. According to records, they were cheated of their meager
> > wages, beaten, starved, sexually harassed, and threatened with
> > deportation if they complained. On Feb. 21, 2003, in a court in Hawaii,
> > the proprietor of the factory, Kil Soo Lee, was found guilty of 14 of 18
> > counts brought against him for indentured servitude. This factory sewed
> > clothing for Wal-Mart, under Wal-Mart's "Beach Cabana" label (as well as
> > producing for other retailers).
> >
> > But I guess you are fine with the low prices. Me? I would pay the $5.

No comment?

Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html
Grain of Sand

In article > ,
"Michael Price" > wrote:

> [...]

> > > wanted
> > > cheap stuff.

> > So, I guess your ok that the $1 shirt was made using a slave laborer.
> >
> > But it was made in the Daewoosa Factory, where 230 workers, mostly young
> > women from Vietnam and China, worked under conditions of indentured
> > servitude. According to records, they were cheated of their meager
> > wages, beaten, starved, sexually harassed, and threatened with
> > deportation if they complained. On Feb. 21, 2003, in a court in Hawaii,
> > the proprietor of the factory, Kil Soo Lee, was found guilty of 14 of 18
> > counts brought against him for indentured servitude. This factory sewed
> > clothing for Wal-Mart, under Wal-Mart's "Beach Cabana" label (as well as
> > producing for other retailers).
> >
> > But I guess you are fine with the low prices. Me? I would pay the $5.

Michael Price

> [...]

I don't know, but it's hardly relevent unless you think we are getting
close to the limit, we aren't.

> > > Anyway, do you think most things produced to day are things that HAVE

> > > be produced?

> > No, and thank god for it. But work is what you have to do to get
> > something else, not what you do because you like it.

> So, work for things?

Well yes, what else do you work for?

> > realize

cause

is a
> > good

they're
> > worth.
> > >
> > > So Wal Mart determines that worth?
> > >

> > Well if someone else had a higher opinion of that worth they'd work
> > somewhere else wouldn't they?

> But didn't you start this off by saying that wal mart lowers wages by

I was being ironic.

> > workers

> > > I do not deny that they do. Did I?

> > > One 1999 study reported that 1.5 jobs had been lost for every job that
> > > Wal-Mart created. A recent projection by the University of Illinois at
> > > Chicago¹s Center for Urban Economic Development concluded that the
> > > proposed West-Side Chicago store likely would yield a net decrease of
> > > about 65 jobs after that Wal-Mart opens, as other retailers in the

same
> > > shopping area lose business. A study cited in Business Week as showing
> > > modest retail gains after Wal-Marts open actually reported net job
> > > losses counting effects on warehousing and surrounding counties.
> > >

> > Which doesn't actually bear on my point, even if we assume the studies
> > weren't biased.

> why?

Oh figure it out.

> > > Wages are low at notoriously anti-union Wal-Mart
> > > hour for full-time workers, around $8 for the roughly 45 percent of
> > > ³associates² working less than 45 weeks a year. But Wal-Mart also

helps
> > > hold down wages throughout the retail industry, with a few exceptions
> > > like the partly-unionized Costco (where wages average $16 an hour) or
> > > more heavily unionized grocery stores. A 1999 study for the Orange
> > > County Business Council forecast that the entry of grocery

supercenters
> > > such as Wal-Mart operates could cost southern California $2.8 billion

in
> > > lost wages and benefits each year as grocers cut the jobs or wages and
> > > benefits of a quarter million largely unionized grocery workers.

> No comment?

What need be said? Someone wanted a study that made Wal-Mart look and
and they got it. There is no mention of the benefits of Wal Mart just the
cost.

> > > The second one.

> > The fact that only a small proportion of the community works at Wal

Mart or
> > it's competitors? That's not obvious?

> So do they create a lot of jobs or a few jobs?

It doesn't matter.

> > > Do you really think that becasue they offer "lower" prices that you

can
> > > ignore anything else about the company?
> > >

> > I think that because the offer lower price (no scare quotes) you have

> > prove your point. I don't have to prove mine. Lower prices are good.

> But you say that wal mart proviodes lower prices. And it looks like they
> bait and reel.

No it doesn't.

belief,

shops,
> > you

offer

with

the

> > > Yes, thank you for shopping at wal mart.

> > So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault

that
> > nobody else does.

> When they kill other competion is is their fault.

No it isn't. The success or failure of competitors is the fault or virtue
of the
competitors.

> > America.
> > >
> > > NO, they just keep them overseas.
> > >

> > Where they are voluntarily employed.

> No.

Oh, I give up you just like saying things that aren't true.

> > > Since you did not answer the question I will have to guess the $5 one.
> > >

> > No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I
> > wanted
> > cheap stuff.

> So, I guess your ok that the $1 shirt was made using a slave laborer.
>
> But it was made in the Daewoosa Factory, where 230 workers, mostly young
> women from Vietnam and China, worked under conditions of indentured
> servitude. According to records, they were cheated of their meager
> wages, beaten, starved, sexually harassed, and threatened with
> deportation if they complained. On Feb. 21, 2003, in a court in Hawaii,
> the proprietor of the factory, Kil Soo Lee, was found guilty of 14 of 18
> counts brought against him for indentured servitude. This factory sewed
> clothing for Wal-Mart, under Wal-Mart's "Beach Cabana" label (as well as
> producing for other retailers).
>
> But I guess you are fine with the low prices. Me? I would pay the $5.

> Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
> http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html

Michael Price

> [...]

I don't know, but it's hardly relevent unless you think we are getting
close to the limit, we aren't.

> > > Anyway, do you think most things produced to day are things that HAVE

> > > be produced?

> > No, and thank god for it. But work is what you have to do to get
> > something else, not what you do because you like it.

> So, work for things?

Well yes, what else do you work for?

> > realize

cause

is a
> > good

they're
> > worth.
> > >
> > > So Wal Mart determines that worth?
> > >

> > Well if someone else had a higher opinion of that worth they'd work
> > somewhere else wouldn't they?

> But didn't you start this off by saying that wal mart lowers wages by

I was being ironic.

> > workers

> > > I do not deny that they do. Did I?

> > > One 1999 study reported that 1.5 jobs had been lost for every job that
> > > Wal-Mart created. A recent projection by the University of Illinois at
> > > Chicago¹s Center for Urban Economic Development concluded that the
> > > proposed West-Side Chicago store likely would yield a net decrease of
> > > about 65 jobs after that Wal-Mart opens, as other retailers in the

same
> > > shopping area lose business. A study cited in Business Week as showing
> > > modest retail gains after Wal-Marts open actually reported net job
> > > losses counting effects on warehousing and surrounding counties.
> > >

> > Which doesn't actually bear on my point, even if we assume the studies
> > weren't biased.

> why?

Oh figure it out.

> > > Wages are low at notoriously anti-union Wal-Mart
> > > hour for full-time workers, around $8 for the roughly 45 percent of
> > > ³associates² working less than 45 weeks a year. But Wal-Mart also

helps
> > > hold down wages throughout the retail industry, with a few exceptions
> > > like the partly-unionized Costco (where wages average $16 an hour) or
> > > more heavily unionized grocery stores. A 1999 study for the Orange
> > > County Business Council forecast that the entry of grocery

supercenters
> > > such as Wal-Mart operates could cost southern California $2.8 billion

in
> > > lost wages and benefits each year as grocers cut the jobs or wages and
> > > benefits of a quarter million largely unionized grocery workers.

> No comment?

What need be said? Someone wanted a study that made Wal-Mart look and
and they got it. There is no mention of the benefits of Wal Mart just the
cost.

> > > The second one.

> > The fact that only a small proportion of the community works at Wal

Mart or
> > it's competitors? That's not obvious?

> So do they create a lot of jobs or a few jobs?

It doesn't matter.

> > > Do you really think that becasue they offer "lower" prices that you

can
> > > ignore anything else about the company?
> > >

> > I think that because the offer lower price (no scare quotes) you have

> > prove your point. I don't have to prove mine. Lower prices are good.

> But you say that wal mart proviodes lower prices. And it looks like they
> bait and reel.

No it doesn't.

belief,

shops,
> > you

offer

with

the

> > > Yes, thank you for shopping at wal mart.

> > So because they don't provide everything you want it's their fault

that
> > nobody else does.

> When they kill other competion is is their fault.

No it isn't. The success or failure of competitors is the fault or virtue
of the
competitors.

> > America.
> > >
> > > NO, they just keep them overseas.
> > >

> > Where they are voluntarily employed.

> No.

Oh, I give up you just like saying things that aren't true.

> > > Since you did not answer the question I will have to guess the $5 one.
> > >

> > No the $1 one. Why would you think otherwise? I specifically said I
> > wanted
> > cheap stuff.

> So, I guess your ok that the $1 shirt was made using a slave laborer.
>
> But it was made in the Daewoosa Factory, where 230 workers, mostly young
> women from Vietnam and China, worked under conditions of indentured
> servitude. According to records, they were cheated of their meager
> wages, beaten, starved, sexually harassed, and threatened with
> deportation if they complained. On Feb. 21, 2003, in a court in Hawaii,
> the proprietor of the factory, Kil Soo Lee, was found guilty of 14 of 18
> counts brought against him for indentured servitude. This factory sewed
> clothing for Wal-Mart, under Wal-Mart's "Beach Cabana" label (as well as
> producing for other retailers).
>
> But I guess you are fine with the low prices. Me? I would pay the $5.

> Anarchy: It's not what you think it is!
> http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html

G*rd*n

bulba >:
> On 6 Jul 2004 12:02:28 -0400, (G*rd*n) wrote:
>

> >> This is NOT some "theological" faith thing. This is
> >> about real people in real courts fighting over real
> >> interests.
> >>
> >> This is pure thought stuff, I concede. But so is yours
> >> or unionization "collective rights" - a notion that I
> >> find bogus, a mere rhetorical device to sugarcoat the
> >> rule of mob.

> >You're welcome to point out any logical development which
> >leads from the liberal rights to wrjames's (apparently
> >self-contradictory) contention that "[Unions] are evil by
> >virtue of the fact that they cannot function without infringing
> >on the rights of others. In theory they can, but in reality,
> >they can't." I don't see it.

> I'd say that he relies on econ theory here - that the cartel
> can't function without power of the state.

That depends on circumstances -- there are natural cartels.
For most companies, there are important money and nuisance
costs in attempting to replace all their employees at once.
If the employees organize, they can exploit the potential
of these costs as long as they don't try to exploit them
too much, that is, beyond the point where it becomes more
profitable to replace all the employees, or they put the
company out of business. Within that margin, it's just
too expensive and too difficult for a company to be moving
all those bodies in and out.

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{
}"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't
bulba

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:10:30 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>"bulba" > wrote in message
.. .

>> And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
>> unconstitutional as a child would.

>I didn't evade anything. The Supreme Court decides what is constitutional and
>they have decided unions have a right to exist.

That's the interpretation you take because it obviously
justifies your "right" to maintain a business cartel that
is mistakingly called "union".

The SC is not all that happy to see unions being legal, it's
just forced to Congress' legislation:

"Here a union used its closed shop contracts (which are, themselves,
inherently anticompetitive) with shippers to drive a trucking firm out
of business simply because the union leaders didn't like owners of the
trucking firm. All the shippers with whom the target firm might have
done business had agreements with the union that they would use only
unionized truckers. The target was willing to unionize, but the union
refused to accept any of the target's employees into the union or to
supply the target with any unionized drivers. Simply put, out of pure
malice, the union drove the target firm out of business through its
combinations in restraint of trade. Was this a violation of the
Sherman Act? The Court, by a 5-4 vote, said no. These activities were
declared legitimate because, and only because, they were carried out
by a labor union. The Court conceded that "Had a group of petitioner's
business competitors conspired and combined to suppress petitioner's
business by refusing to sell goods and services to it, such a
combination would have violated the Sherman Act" (at 824). The vote
could have gone the other way. Only one more justice had to see the
union's actions as outside the limits of the union's antitrust
exemption because they were not ordinary union activities as
envisioned by Congress in the NLRA. The call was wholly arbitrary
because the rule of law was ignored."

http://www.sbe.csuhayward.edu/~sbesc/99septcol.html

It is long recognized in law that unions are cartels: the
unions' activities are restricted by anti-trust legislation,
but not enough. Unions are business cartels, organizations
of thieves: get over it. It is recognized in law. It's
just this kind of cartels is given special privileges because
of stupid politics. That's all.

Once the labor union "legislation" gets scrapped, kiss goodbye
your privilege to steal.

>You, on the other hand, get
>to decide very little ...

You, on the other hand, instead of arguing get to
paint childishly naive and one-sided picture and
appeal ad authority. Childish, again.

>evidently including your own thought processes ...
>without interjecting the word "scumbag" every several sentences. As I said
>before, maturity is not your strong suit.

It is typical for immature debatants to ignore the substance
of an argument and accuse others of immaturity.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

wrote:

>"bulba" > wrote in message
.. .

>> And again, you evaded the problem of union collective "rights" being
>> unconstitutional as a child would.

>I didn't evade anything. The Supreme Court decides what is constitutional and
>they have decided unions have a right to exist.

That's the interpretation you take because it obviously
justifies your "right" to maintain a business cartel that
is mistakingly called "union".

The SC is not all that happy to see unions being legal, it's
just forced to Congress' legislation:

"Here a union used its closed shop contracts (which are, themselves,
inherently anticompetitive) with shippers to drive a trucking firm out
of business simply because the union leaders didn't like owners of the
trucking firm. All the shippers with whom the target firm might have
done business had agreements with the union that they would use only
unionized truckers. The target was willing to unionize, but the union
refused to accept any of the target's employees into the union or to
supply the target with any unionized drivers. Simply put, out of pure
malice, the union drove the target firm out of business through its
combinations in restraint of trade. Was this a violation of the
Sherman Act? The Court, by a 5-4 vote, said no. These activities were
declared legitimate because, and only because, they were carried out
by a labor union. The Court conceded that "Had a group of petitioner's
business competitors conspired and combined to suppress petitioner's
business by refusing to sell goods and services to it, such a
combination would have violated the Sherman Act" (at 824). The vote
could have gone the other way. Only one more justice had to see the
union's actions as outside the limits of the union's antitrust
exemption because they were not ordinary union activities as
envisioned by Congress in the NLRA. The call was wholly arbitrary
because the rule of law was ignored."

http://www.sbe.csuhayward.edu/~sbesc/99septcol.html

It is long recognized in law that unions are cartels: the
unions' activities are restricted by anti-trust legislation,
but not enough. Unions are business cartels, organizations
of thieves: get over it. It is recognized in law. It's
just this kind of cartels is given special privileges because
of stupid politics. That's all.

Once the labor union "legislation" gets scrapped, kiss goodbye
your privilege to steal.

>You, on the other hand, get
>to decide very little ...

You, on the other hand, instead of arguing get to
paint childishly naive and one-sided picture and
appeal ad authority. Childish, again.

>evidently including your own thought processes ...
>without interjecting the word "scumbag" every several sentences. As I said
>before, maturity is not your strong suit.

It is typical for immature debatants to ignore the substance
of an argument and accuse others of immaturity.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Dan Clore

Default Wobblies Win Right for Union Election at NYC Starbucks

Seattle Times
Thursday, July 08, 2004 - Page updated at 12:16 A.M.

Wobblies win right for a union election at NYC Starbucks

By Thomas Ginsberg
Knight Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK -- A group of Starbucks workers has won approval
for a union election in their Manhattan coffee shop.

Members of the Philadelphia-based Industrial Workers of the
World (IWW), a century-old leftist organization also known
as the Wobblies, said yesterday they hope the vote by late
July will boost membership nationwide in their Starbucks
Baristas Union.

"This is a tremendous victory," said Daniel Gross, an IWW
member and organizer of the Starbucks Baristas Union at the
36th Street and Madison Avenue location.

The New York regional office of the National Labor Relations
Board (NLRB), backing up the union, ruled Friday that the
workers just in store No. 7365 of the 8,000-store chain
constituted an appropriate unit for unionizing. Starbucks
wanted workers from 50 stores in lower Manhattan to be
eligible to vote.

The NLRB did side with the company in letting shift
supervisors in the store take part in the vote, which could
dilute the union's support.

"We are pleased that it agreed with Starbucks over the
union's objections," said Audrey Lincoff, spokeswoman for
Seattle-based Starbucks.

Voting will be overseen by the NLRB. If the union wins the
workers' endorsement, shop managers are obligated to
negotiate with it over workers' pay, conditions or other issues.

Even before a vote in Manhattan, Gross said the union may
file a complaint against Starbucks over alleged attempts to
influence the vote, including "outright bribes such as
giving workers pizza dinners and Mets tickets."

Last week, the company spokeswoman said managers are
encouraged to reward workers regularly with gifts and what
she called "random acts of kindness."

The organizing effort is being mounted under the
retail-workers branch of the IWW, whose international
headquarters has been located in West Philadelphia since 2000.

The international endorses the Starbucks effort, but it was
unclear how much extra support it may give, said
general-secretary treasurer Alexis Buss. Unlike traditional
trade unions, the IWW is an organization of individual
members, not union locals.

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

James A. Donald

--
bulba
> > Importance of "natural monopolies" in practice is greatly
> > exagerrated. Ask any competent economist.

G*rd*n
> Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and common
> sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the practice of
> economics is heavily freighted with ideological baggage and
> one dare not assume or trust anything one cannot work out for
> oneself.

So point to one of these monopolies for us.

You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
Marxist dogma.

--digsig
James A. Donald
cthSFeHv66AOIz32iN7mfoxexxN7y3PUG6IDnQuP
4pGEtkl7XQ5mwNlMzK2Ehn5reu2jk/OyU8ZPYMkYa

James A. Donald

--
bulba
> > Importance of "natural monopolies" in practice is greatly
> > exagerrated. Ask any competent economist.

G*rd*n
> Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and common
> sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the practice of
> economics is heavily freighted with ideological baggage and
> one dare not assume or trust anything one cannot work out for
> oneself.

So point to one of these monopolies for us.

You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
Marxist dogma.

--digsig
James A. Donald
cthSFeHv66AOIz32iN7mfoxexxN7y3PUG6IDnQuP
4pGEtkl7XQ5mwNlMzK2Ehn5reu2jk/OyU8ZPYMkYa

G*rd*n

James A. Donald >:
> So point to one of these monopolies for us.
>
> You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
> Marxist dogma.

Why don't you shock me by citing the particular item of
dogma for once? www.marxists.org awaits you. Or make
it up.

I described how a the community of workers at a company may
play the role of a natural cartel in detail. Of course, this
will mean nothing to those who believe the True Faith, but
others may wish to look at it.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
G*rd*n

James A. Donald >:
> So point to one of these monopolies for us.
>
> You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
> Marxist dogma.

Why don't you shock me by citing the particular item of
dogma for once? www.marxists.org awaits you. Or make
it up.

I described how a the community of workers at a company may
play the role of a natural cartel in detail. Of course, this
will mean nothing to those who believe the True Faith, but
others may wish to look at it.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{ }"{
{
http://www.etaoin.com | latest new material 5/10/04 <-adv't

James A. Donald

--
bulba

G*rd*n
> > > Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and
> > > common sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the
> > > practice of economics is heavily freighted with
> > > ideological baggage and one dare not assume or trust
> > > anything one cannot work out for oneself.

James A. Donald
> > So point to one of these monopolies for us.
> >
> > You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
> > Marxist dogma.

G*rd*n
> Why don't you shock me by citing the particular item of dogma
> for once?

I notice you do not tell us the observations that you claim to
observe

--digsig
James A. Donald
ZY5dokA98dqr8CM+ovGdQLoYitaKvxGet+HeK9q4
4epBKMWbHoFZxarjsQDS4HACbi2v9P7eHDMOx1nWG

James A. Donald

--
bulba

G*rd*n
> > > Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and
> > > common sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the
> > > practice of economics is heavily freighted with
> > > ideological baggage and one dare not assume or trust
> > > anything one cannot work out for oneself.

James A. Donald
> > So point to one of these monopolies for us.
> >
> > You do not rely on observation, you rely on rigid obsolete
> > Marxist dogma.

G*rd*n
> Why don't you shock me by citing the particular item of dogma
> for once?

I notice you do not tell us the observations that you claim to
observe

--digsig
James A. Donald
ZY5dokA98dqr8CM+ovGdQLoYitaKvxGet+HeK9q4
4epBKMWbHoFZxarjsQDS4HACbi2v9P7eHDMOx1nWG

bulba

(G*rd*n) wrote:
>> >That depends on circumstances -- there are natural cartels.
>> >For most companies, there are important money and nuisance
>> >costs in attempting to replace all their employees at once.

>> <...>

>bulba >:
>> Importance of "natural monopolies" in practice is greatly
>> exagerrated. Ask any competent economist.

>Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and common
>sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the practice of
>economics is heavily freighted with ideological baggage and
>one dare not assume or trust anything one cannot work out
>for oneself.

I think you just make convenient escape from real world
into alternative world where obsessions can be still
hoped to be valid.

Whatever ideological baggage behind economics there
is, there are many people who work on real world
phenomenons, like Ronald Coase or in experiments
like Vernon Smith, and this is the kind of
people I meant. It's not as simple and one-sided
as you make it to be.

Yes, natural monopolies is a great subject for
what Hayek called "blackboard economics", a nice
mathematical game played mostly for its own
sake and amusement of participators. "natural
monopolies" are also handy axe for ideologues
of all kinds.

But in practice, what economists working on
empirics, real world experience with it, like
Ronald Coase, can tell you, in practice they
are not all that important.

Being self-educated layman I myself
have found one phenomenon that in theory
should be natural monopoly, yet it surprisingly
behaves as if it were not: small wired Ethernet or
LAN-based ISPs (and I've noticed this long
before appearance of WiFi). Since typically
building administrators do not want to have
many installations, they most frequently limit
providers to only one in this building and
"building management associations" that
happen to be there in many European
countries (they often consist of dozens
or even hundreds of buildings in the
area). In effect, they grant monopoly
powers within limits of their authority
to this provider.

So this ISP should have natural monopoly in
this area.

So the prices of ISPs in different urban
areas should not have to converge in
theory.

Yet the experience shows that prices do
converge. The competition between
those ISPs them is visible, it was apparent
that it did take place, even though in
simple model it should not be there.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
bulba

(G*rd*n) wrote:
>> >That depends on circumstances -- there are natural cartels.
>> >For most companies, there are important money and nuisance
>> >costs in attempting to replace all their employees at once.

>> <...>

>bulba >:
>> Importance of "natural monopolies" in practice is greatly
>> exagerrated. Ask any competent economist.

>Thanks, but I prefer to trust my own observations and common
>sense. Unlike physics and mathematics, the practice of
>economics is heavily freighted with ideological baggage and
>one dare not assume or trust anything one cannot work out
>for oneself.

I think you just make convenient escape from real world
into alternative world where obsessions can be still
hoped to be valid.

Whatever ideological baggage behind economics there
is, there are many people who work on real world
phenomenons, like Ronald Coase or in experiments
like Vernon Smith, and this is the kind of
people I meant. It's not as simple and one-sided
as you make it to be.

Yes, natural monopolies is a great subject for
what Hayek called "blackboard economics", a nice
mathematical game played mostly for its own
sake and amusement of participators. "natural
monopolies" are also handy axe for ideologues
of all kinds.

But in practice, what economists working on
empirics, real world experience with it, like
Ronald Coase, can tell you, in practice they
are not all that important.

Being self-educated layman I myself
have found one phenomenon that in theory
should be natural monopoly, yet it surprisingly
behaves as if it were not: small wired Ethernet or
LAN-based ISPs (and I've noticed this long
before appearance of WiFi). Since typically
building administrators do not want to have
many installations, they most frequently limit
providers to only one in this building and
"building management associations" that
happen to be there in many European
countries (they often consist of dozens
or even hundreds of buildings in the
area). In effect, they grant monopoly
powers within limits of their authority
to this provider.

So this ISP should have natural monopoly in
this area.

So the prices of ISPs in different urban
areas should not have to converge in
theory.

Yet the experience shows that prices do
converge. The competition between
those ISPs them is visible, it was apparent
that it did take place, even though in
simple model it should not be there.

--
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Darryl

Wm James > wrote in message >. ..
> The workers already know there's a strike.

I personally know a local example where a 2nd union did not know that
the 1st union at a certain place was striking. One day they chatted
with the strikers WHILE PASSING THROUGH THE PICKET LINE, and they
found out which union was striking, & why, & it was a union with which
they had an agreement to honor strikes. The next day, no one from
union #2 showed up. Management quickly caved.

> It's simple.

No... it's not. But your strong belief that it SHOULD be is what
keeps you from reaching a defensible position regarding it. The pros
and cons of unions are a legitimate topic of debate, but far beyond
people who feel it's a "simple" issue. We'd regard as idiots anyone
who considered neurosurgeons fools for wasting their time in college
because, hey, brain surgery is a "simple" matter, easily mastered with
a home study DVD course. It's obviously, to the common man, not
simple. But any yahoo with a 300 baud modem seems to have an answer
to the most complex issues of the day, because of their clear &
piercing insight into the heart of the matter.

Darryl

Wm James > wrote in message >. ..
> The workers already know there's a strike.

I personally know a local example where a 2nd union did not know that
the 1st union at a certain place was striking. One day they chatted
with the strikers WHILE PASSING THROUGH THE PICKET LINE, and they
found out which union was striking, & why, & it was a union with which
they had an agreement to honor strikes. The next day, no one from
union #2 showed up. Management quickly caved.

> It's simple.

No... it's not. But your strong belief that it SHOULD be is what
keeps you from reaching a defensible position regarding it. The pros
and cons of unions are a legitimate topic of debate, but far beyond
people who feel it's a "simple" issue. We'd regard as idiots anyone
who considered neurosurgeons fools for wasting their time in college
because, hey, brain surgery is a "simple" matter, easily mastered with
a home study DVD course. It's obviously, to the common man, not
simple. But any yahoo with a 300 baud modem seems to have an answer
to the most complex issues of the day, because of their clear &
piercing insight into the heart of the matter.
Wm James

(G*rd*n) wrote:

>> >You're welcome to point out any logical development which
>> >leads from the liberal rights to wrjames's (apparently
>> >self-contradictory) contention that "[Unions] are evil by
>> >virtue of the fact that they cannot function without infringing
>> >on the rights of others. In theory they can, but in reality,
>> >they can't." I don't see it.

>> I'd say that he relies on econ theory here - that the cartel
>> can't function without power of the state.

>That depends on circumstances -- there are natural cartels.
>For most companies, there are important money and nuisance
>costs in attempting to replace all their employees at once.
>If the employees organize, they can exploit the potential
>of these costs as long as they don't try to exploit them
>too much, that is, beyond the point where it becomes more
>profitable to replace all the employees, or they put the
>company out of business. Within that margin, it's just
>too expensive and too difficult for a company to be moving
>all those bodies in and out.

For unskilled labor, it's pretty irrelevant. If government respected
the rights of business owners a business with unskilled employees
could easily replace the droids for $3 an hour. It's a little more
expensive for skilled workers, but those with valuable skills need no
union unless they simply aren't willing to do much work for the pay.

William R. James

Wm James

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:20:14 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
wrote:

>"Wm James" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:45:55 GMT, "Michael Legel" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >And when you become a Supreme Court judge or can afford to buy one then

>your
>> >"rights" might become reality. Until then you are only stating opinions
>> >versus the reality I speak of .
>> >

>> Ah, so if the Supreme Court were to rule that you have no freedom of
>> speech, rite to vote, right to a trial, etc, you would say "it's the
>> law and any argument is just stating opinions"?
>>
>> Hey, why bother with voting for silly things like congressional and
>> presidential races? It's a devine USSC dictatorship, right? Whatever
>> the life appointed judges say is fact, huh? Just let them make all
>> the laws and skip all the meaningless nonsense in the other two
>> branches. Sound good to you?
>>
>> William R. James

>Look BOZO, the Supremes already crowned King George ... and I didn't think the
>had the RIGHT to do that ... but they did.

Perhaps if you read the constitution and understood the simple process
we use to elect presidents in the US, you wouldn't parrot that BS.

>Unless you can figure out a way to
>change things they do indeed get be a "devine USSC dictatorship".

1) Elect presidents who will appoint judges who respect the
constitution. (Don't count on either of the major parties ever
nominating such a candidate.)
2) Elect a congress that will do it's duty and impeach federal judges,
INCLUDING Supreme Court "Gods", when they violate their constitutional
boundries.

>Where have
>you been you idiot?

I have never been "you idiot", not anywhere... Oh wait. I was "you
idiot" in a church once... At a wedding.... mine. But that was a long
time ago.

>As I told you before, it is not a matter of what you or
>"think ought to be" ... but what is reality.

The constitution isn't real?

>You summed it up nicely with a
>side order of snide. You do know the facts of reality evidently.

Yes I do. What you don't seem to realise is that the thread is cross
posted to groups like "this" one (alt.activism) where what is right,
what is constitutional, and what is legal, aren't necessarily the same
thing, but are all propert topics of discussion. I assume you are
reading the thread from one of the groups involved in the union issue
strictly from the standpoint of the union and business interactions,
and no particularly interested in the constitutional issues. In other
words, the group you are participating in is asking what the union can
and cannot do while in some groups the relevant questions are
regarding what constitutional issues are the courts ignoring to allow
the unions activities.

Get it now?

William R. James

Wm James

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:36:52 GMT, Grain of Sand >
wrote:

>In article . net>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
>> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

>> but

>> lot
>> >
>> > Like most capitalists you think short term. There is no future for
>> > capitalism.

>> Look at the shining 2 examples of communism left - Cuba and North Korea -
>> and it's clear there's no future for communism.

>Errr....first that's state communism, which under normal circumstance I
>would agree with you that they would not last long. Second, there is
>currently an embargo and sanctions on cuba and korea by a capitalist
>nation. What is the US so afraid of, that maybe that the socialist state
>will evolve and will work?
>
>Can you show me one capitalist economy that has succeded?

Why aren't they embargoing us?

William R. James

Wm James

wrote:

>In article . net>,
> "Stan de SD" > wrote:
>
>> "Grain of Sand" > wrote in message

>> but

>> lot
>> >
>> > Like most capitalists you think short term. There is no future for
>> > capitalism.

>> Look at the shining 2 examples of communism left - Cuba and North Korea -
>> and it's clear there's no future for communism.

>Errr....first that's state communism, which under normal circumstance I
>would agree with you that they would not last long. Second, there is
>currently an embargo and sanctions on cuba and korea by a capitalist
>nation. What is the US so afraid of, that maybe that the socialist state
>will evolve and will work?
>
>Can you show me one capitalist economy that has succeded?

Why aren't they embargoing us?

William R. James

Wm James

On 10 Jul 2004 08:57:28 -0700, (Darryl) wrote:

>Wm James > wrote in message >. ..
>> The workers already know there's a strike.

>I personally know a local example where a 2nd union did not know that
>the 1st union at a certain place was striking. One day they chatted
>with the strikers WHILE PASSING THROUGH THE PICKET LINE, and they
>found out which union was striking, & why, & it was a union with which
>they had an agreement to honor strikes. The next day, no one from
>union #2 showed up. Management quickly caved.
>
>> It's simple.

>No... it's not. But your strong belief that it SHOULD be is what
>keeps you from reaching a defensible position regarding it. The pros
>and cons of unions are a legitimate topic of debate, but far beyond
>people who feel it's a "simple" issue. We'd regard as idiots anyone
>who considered neurosurgeons fools for wasting their time in college
>because, hey, brain surgery is a "simple" matter, easily mastered with
>a home study DVD course. It's obviously, to the common man, not
>simple. But any yahoo with a 300 baud modem seems to have an answer
>to the most complex issues of the day, because of their clear &
>piercing insight into the heart of the matter.

Respect of rights is not complicated. If the union members don't
ewant to trade anymore, that's their right. If they don't want their
former employer on their property after they cease trading, that's
their right. The business owner has the same rights.

William R. James

Dan Clore

Wm James wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:36:52 GMT, Grain of Sand >
> wrote:

>>>Look at the shining 2 examples of communism left - Cuba and North Korea -
>>>and it's clear there's no future for communism.

>>Errr....first that's state communism, which under normal circumstance I
>>would agree with you that they would not last long. Second, there is
>>currently an embargo and sanctions on cuba and korea by a capitalist
>>nation. What is the US so afraid of, that maybe that the socialist state
>>will evolve and will work?
>>
>>Can you show me one capitalist economy that has succeded?

> Why aren't they embargoing us?

(Raises hand.)

"Because the workers' paradise, freed from the constricting
boa of the capitalist parasites, is overflowing with
bountiful products, rightfully belonging to ALL the
proletarians of the world, struggling as they are under
stifling weight of oppressive capitalist incubus, comrade!"

--
Dan Clore

http://www.wildsidepress.com/index2.htm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edanclorenecro
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

"It's a political statement -- or, rather, an
*anti*-political statement. The symbol for *anarchy*!"
-- Batman, explaining the circle-A graffiti, in
_Detective Comics_ #608

G*rd*n

:
> For unskilled labor, it's pretty irrelevant. If government respected
> the rights of business owners a business with unskilled employees
> could easily replace the droids for $3 an hour. It's a little more
> expensive for skilled workers, but those with valuable skills need no
> union unless they simply aren't willing to do much work for the pay.

That depends on conditions, obviously. I've seen labor markets
where you couldn't hire a sleepwalker, and others where highly
skilled people like machinists or computer programmers were
on the street in hordes and could be hired very cheaply. So
have most people who care to observe (not many, it appears).
It is obvious that, under conditions of a tight labor market,
employees acting together can squeeze more out of the employer
acting together than they can individually. And since the
relation between traditional capitalist employers and their
employees are rather adversarial, that's pretty much what it
comes down to: squeezing. By your own words, you're a pretty
good example of that, so you should understand it.

--

(<><>) /*/
}"{ G*rd*n }"{

Joseph K. > wrote

> The idea defended here by conventional philosophers (believers of the
> True Faith as you call them) that exchange value is completely
> subjective stems from the same roots and is wrong for similar reasons.

Except that no economist claimed that exchange value is entirely
subjective. Exchange value is determined ultimately from two sources,
the subjective preferences of consumers and the scarcity of goods.

Cheers,
Alex

(G*rd*n) wrote

> I don't the the pure subjectivity of value is an item of the
> True Faith, inasmuch as the major prophet Adam Smith did not
> profess it -- it is his labor theory of value which, supposedly,
> underlies Marx's. I suspect it is something novel introduced
> to exorcise any influence of the Devil (that is, the aforesaid
> Marx).

Your suspicion is wrong and you seem ignorant of the relevant
economic history. As far as I know Galliani was the first to introduce
a theory of value based on utility and scarcity -- he did it in 1751,
before Adam Smith even published his work.

Condillac published his work in the 18th century (I don't know
whether with or without knowledge of Adam Smith), and he is worth
quoting on this:

"Value is not an attribute of matter, but represents our sense of
its usefulness and this utility is relative to our need. It grows or
diminishes according as our need expands or contracts. But since the
value of things is based upon need, it is natural that a more keenly
felt need should endow things with a greater value, while a less
urgent need endows them with less. Value increases with scarcity and
diminishes with plenty."

The main factor in the overthrow of the labor theory of value came
with the so called "marginalist revolution" usually dated in 1871-1874
and it is attributed to Stanley Jevons, Carl Menger and Leon Walras.
But this "revolution" had precursors in von Thunen and Gossen, which
wrote in the 1850's.

This "revolution" is the result of faults and inconsistencies in the
classical labor theory of value -- not in any reaction to Marx. Marx
simply failed to keep up with economic theory, building castles of
cards on shaky foundations.

Cheers,
Alex