Old 01-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Mark L. Breen

Default Whether to Stir or not

Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
coffee.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mark Breen
Ireland

Old 01-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Roger Shoaf

"Mark L. Breen" wrote in message
Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Not all of the coffee will remain on top, the idea is to have it imersed in
the water.

A burr grinder will allow you to grind the beans just before brewing for
maximum flavor without pulverizing the beans. This is because the coffee
bean acts as a protective layer to retard staling. Once ground you expose a
greater surface area to oxygen and also a lot of the flavorful aromatic
components are lost.

Keep reading this news group and soon you will be roasting your own beans
for maximum freshness.

Welcome to alt.coffee.

--
Roger Shoaf

Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Tony Jester

"Mark L. Breen" wrote in message
Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's

somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better

stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
coffee.

I think the standard procedure is to NOT stir the coffee at first. Then let
it sit for some certain amount of time. Then DO stir (or swirl the pot).
Then let it sit for some more time. Then press and drink. The wait times
would depend on how fine you grind the coffee, the finer the grind, the less
you let it sit.

For specific instructions on Press Pot brewing, see
http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr.frenchpress.html

You really should grind your own coffee, but you need a burr grinder not a
whirly blade type.

-Tony-

Old 01-10-2003, 03:50 PM

In alt.coffee Mark L. Breen wrote:

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

It should not be on top of the water. It should swirl all through the
water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
coffee.

Buy a decent burr grinder. Look at the Bodum for an inexpensive ne, or
buy one on eBay.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Old 02-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
[...]

And the coffee should be ground quite coarse such as an American
perculator grind -- if you have ever seen that garbage. This, of
course, is so it will not pass through the screen.

Miles

Old 02-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Mark L. Breen

Hello to All,

thanks for your advice, that sounds great, I am now off to investigate
roasting my own beans, I love the idea of that,

I wonder will I be able to buy 'non roasted beans in Ireland'

Thanks again

Mark

Old 02-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Stewart Bryant

..

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland,(so sorry to hear that- my

regrets) and I wonder is it better to
stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee

itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Maybe you dont like the sediment in the brew.Have you tried a vacuum pot?
They have less sediment and though you still should stir a vac pot brew you
dont have to. Bodum makes a good one, and there are others out there. I
would definately buy a better grinder- Solis Maestro,Bodum Antigua etc.
Roasting your own is the next step up and I am sure you will be pleased with
the results. The learning curve is fast and it is well worth the time and
trouble IMHO.

Bon Chance

Stewart

Old 02-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Miles

Mark L. Breen wrote:
[...]

Hopefully you will find them. Check the phone book commercial pages for
coffee roasters to see if there is a local small roaster near you that
would sell you a small quantity of beans -- also you will need to
experiment with blending which is three-quarters of the fun.
Miles