Mark L. Breen

Default Whether to Stir or not

Hello All,

This is my first email to a coffee news group, if there are FAQ's somewhere,
I would appreciate a pointer.

My question is, I use a plunge pot in Ireland, and I wonder is it better to
stir the coffee immediately after I add the water or not. I seem to get
better coffee if I do not stir. I wonder is it because the coffee itself
acts as a filter for the smaller particles when you do not stir. I find
that if I stir, the coffee does not remain on the top of the water.

Additionally, I have given up grinding my own beans because I formed the
opinion my grinder does not in fact grind, but actually shatters the beans
and gives me powder instead of ground coffee. So now a days I buy ground
coffee.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time

Mark Breen