Ken Wilson

Default Whether to Stir or not

"Miles"

> Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
> French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
> suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
> plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
> Miles

Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.

The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
napolitain or Cona

The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.

anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
recently said is to "just drink it".

:-)

ken