Miles

Default Whether to Stir or not

Ken Wilson wrote:

> "Miles"
>

>>Think you missed that he is using a plunger -- in my terminology a
>>French press. In that event, the coffee needs to be coarser than your
>>suggestion in order for it not to pass through the holes in the metal
>>plate or through the metal spring on it's circumference.
>>Miles

> Hmm. Had me worried and then i checked my cafetieres. The plastic one I
> use at work (cleaning staff proof.......) has a plastic seal to scrape down
> the side of the container - not the spring type. The holes in the wire mesh
> are too small for salt let alone the "between salt and sugar" i suggested.
> My work grinder (my old Petra) is set for the grind i suggested.
>
> The bodums i have at home have the spring circumference thing - but again
> the mesh are too fine for salt and the mesh scrapes the wall so the spring
> is not relevant. The home grinder (the 166/aka *$ barrista etc) is set
> slightly coarser presumably becuase i haven't changed it since i last did
> napolitain or Cona
>
> The grounds of this size doesn't go through - sludge does but i reckon that
> is inevitable and you just don't drink the last dribble.
>
> anyway - the alt.coffee church is broad - the important thing as barry
> recently said is to "just drink it".
>
> :-)
>

> ken

Not familiar with the plastic seals, but surprised you find the holes in
the wire mesh are sufficiently fine. Mind you, I also enjoy heavy
bodied coffee (and wine), and if all can settle to the bottom of the
cup, that's great, providing you drink it quickly so that the particles
in the cup do not continue to give up the stuff they should not.

Miles