Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Can I take my US Weber with me to the UK?

I love my Weber Genesis Silver gas grill. Anyone know if I need to
modify it to use it in the UK or do they use the same kind of propane
tanks?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

My buddy just did that when he moved back to the UK. He said all he did was
take off the regulator and install a UK regulator. He is also the envy of
his friends there as a Weber (he has the gold c series) is VERY costly about
3 times the value of one here.
Larry
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I love my Weber Genesis Silver gas grill. Anyone know if I need to
> modify it to use it in the UK or do they use the same kind of propane
> tanks?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks Larry! I'm excited to hear such great news! I was getting
concerned after hearing about changing out burners and this and that.
Anyway, you can ask your friend where he got the regulator from and how
much it was? Thx again!
/Ty

jdoe wrote:
> My buddy just did that when he moved back to the UK. He said all he did was
> take off the regulator and install a UK regulator. He is also the envy of
> his friends there as a Weber (he has the gold c series) is VERY costly about
> 3 times the value of one here.
> Larry
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I love my Weber Genesis Silver gas grill. Anyone know if I need to
> > modify it to use it in the UK or do they use the same kind of propane
> > tanks?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!

An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
which is $194!

jdoe wrote:
> My buddy just did that when he moved back to the UK. He said all he did was
> take off the regulator and install a UK regulator. He is also the envy of
> his friends there as a Weber (he has the gold c series) is VERY costly about
> 3 times the value of one here.
> Larry
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I love my Weber Genesis Silver gas grill. Anyone know if I need to
> > modify it to use it in the UK or do they use the same kind of propane
> > tanks?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

He just bought one from like a hardware store. IIRC otherwise it was just
where he got the propane bottle filled. Weber actuall makes the parts but
will not sell them to you here in the US and IIRC in England they wanted to
sell him an entire valve assy for about $500 equiv. So as I said he just
bought a regulator and attached it to the old hose.
Larry
"BigSlick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Larry! I'm excited to hear such great news! I was getting
> concerned after hearing about changing out burners and this and that.
> Anyway, you can ask your friend where he got the regulator from and how
> much it was? Thx again!
> /Ty
>
> jdoe wrote:
>> My buddy just did that when he moved back to the UK. He said all he did
>> was
>> take off the regulator and install a UK regulator. He is also the envy of
>> his friends there as a Weber (he has the gold c series) is VERY costly
>> about
>> 3 times the value of one here.
>> Larry
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I love my Weber Genesis Silver gas grill. Anyone know if I need to
>> > modify it to use it in the UK or do they use the same kind of propane
>> > tanks?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I didn't know you could get propane in the UK. I thought they used LPG,
aka Butane over there. Hmm. The idea of spending $1,000 USD to get a
genesis silver B is making me unhappy

/Ty

jdoe wrote:
> He just bought one from like a hardware store. IIRC otherwise it was just
> where he got the propane bottle filled. Weber actuall makes the parts but
> will not sell them to you here in the US and IIRC in England they wanted to
> sell him an entire valve assy for about $500 equiv. So as I said he just
> bought a regulator and attached it to the old hose.
> Larry
> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Thanks Larry! I'm excited to hear such great news! I was getting
> > concerned after hearing about changing out burners and this and that.
> > Anyway, you can ask your friend where he got the regulator from and how
> > much it was? Thx again!
> > /Ty
> >
> > jdoe wrote:
> >> My buddy just did that when he moved back to the UK. He said all he did
> >> was
> >> take off the regulator and install a UK regulator. He is also the envy of
> >> his friends there as a Weber (he has the gold c series) is VERY costly
> >> about
> >> 3 times the value of one here.
> >> Larry
> >> oups.com...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

Yup - you can get both Propane and Butane here.....

"BigSlick" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I didn't know you could get propane in the UK. I thought they used LPG,
> aka Butane over there. Hmm. The idea of spending $1,000 USD to get a
> genesis silver B is making me unhappy
>
> /Ty
>
> jdoe wrote:
>> He just bought one from like a hardware store. IIRC otherwise it was just
>> where he got the propane bottle filled. Weber actuall makes the parts but
>> will not sell them to you here in the US and IIRC in England they wanted
>> sell him an entire valve assy for about $500 equiv. So as I said he just
>> bought a regulator and attached it to the old hose.
>> Larry
>> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Thanks Larry! I'm excited to hear such great news! I was getting
>> > concerned after hearing about changing out burners and this and that.
>> > Anyway, you can ask your friend where he got the regulator from and how
>> > much it was? Thx again!
>> > /Ty

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ah, I see. So then why do I need a regulator and hose? Anyone know if
the screw attachment is different from US versions?

adm wrote:
> Yup - you can get both Propane and Butane here.....
>
> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I didn't know you could get propane in the UK. I thought they used LPG,
> > aka Butane over there. Hmm. The idea of spending $1,000 USD to get a
> > genesis silver B is making me unhappy
> >
> > /Ty
> >
> > jdoe wrote:
> >> He just bought one from like a hardware store. IIRC otherwise it was just
> >> where he got the propane bottle filled. Weber actuall makes the parts but
> >> will not sell them to you here in the US and IIRC in England they wanted
> >> sell him an entire valve assy for about $500 equiv. So as I said he just
> >> bought a regulator and attached it to the old hose.
> >> Larry
> >> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The fitting is different. How? I'm unsure just know it is.
"BigSlick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ah, I see. So then why do I need a regulator and hose? Anyone know if
> the screw attachment is different from US versions?
>

> adm wrote:
>> Yup - you can get both Propane and Butane here.....
>>
>> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I didn't know you could get propane in the UK. I thought they used LPG,
>> > aka Butane over there. Hmm. The idea of spending $1,000 USD to get a
>> > genesis silver B is making me unhappy
>> >
>> > /Ty

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Copsey wrote:
> BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!
>
> An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
> which is $194!

I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
$25.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" > wrote:
> Copsey wrote:
> > BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!
> >
> > An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
> > which is $194!
> >

> I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
> $25.

It is necessary to support the Royal Embarrasments. After all, you are
Subjects of the Queen!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

It's probably a metric vs imperial thing.....

Being a charcoal guy myself I cant give you any detail, but I would imaging
that gas cyclinders here in Europe have metric threads, whereas the ones
from the US use Imperial or Whitworth or something.

"BigSlick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ah, I see. So then why do I need a regulator and hose? Anyone know if
> the screw attachment is different from US versions?
>

> adm wrote:
>> Yup - you can get both Propane and Butane here.....
>>
>> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> >I didn't know you could get propane in the UK. I thought they used LPG,
>> > aka Butane over there. Hmm. The idea of spending $1,000 USD to get a
>> > genesis silver B is making me unhappy
>> >
>> > /Ty

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Cam" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Copsey wrote:
>> BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!
>>
>> An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
>> which is $194!
>>

> I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
> $25.

A Weber Smokey Mountain in the UK will set you back around $370 of your US
dollars.....

It's shameful, but I dropped the cash three years ago and nonetheless, it's
been a great investment.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

> wrote in message
> "Cam" > wrote:
>> Copsey wrote:
>> > BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!
>> >
>> > An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
>> > which is $194!
>> >

>> I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
>> $25.

> It is necessary to support the Royal Embarrasments. After all, you are
> Subjects of the Queen!

Personally, I'd have the whole Familius Horribilus put up against a wall and
shot like dogs. Or even made to live in a coucil flat in Catford - not sure
which would be worse.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

adm wrote:
> "Cam" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Copsey wrote:
> >> BBQ equipment is outrageously expensive in the UK - its a disgrace!
> >>
> >> An ECB is about 70-80 quid here - the brinkman gourmet is 105 quid,
> >> which is $194!
> >>

> > I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
> > $25.

> A Weber Smokey Mountain in the UK will set you back around $370 of your US
> dollars.....
>
> It's shameful, but I dropped the cash three years ago and nonetheless, it's
> been a great investment.

An ECB would be even more expensive, first you buy it and then you
upgrade to the WSM. You saved 70 quid by jumping a step.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

OK, here's the official word from Weber UK:
<quote>
You can convert this model to run in the UK but you need to change the
burners, manifold and the hose and regulator which would cost around
£185 including p & p to a UK address.
</quote>

OMG, £185!!! That's like almost what I paid for the grill. I then
asked for more detail so I could figure out what was going on and they
said:

<quote>
The regulator we would supply is a clip on propane one that would
attach to a Patio Gas Propane bottle any size between 5kg and 13kg.In
the US I believe your gas runs at 30mb but in the UK it is 37mb so the
hole that allows the air in on the burner tubes needs to be a different
size and the manifold also is a different size.
</quote>

Well, despite the potential savings, I think I'm going to buy a new one
in the UK. I have always wanted to upgrade to stainless steel grates
and get the extra work extra or extra side burner. Time to grab the
ankles and start thinking in pounds, not dollars.

jdoe wrote:
> The fitting is different. How? I'm unsure just know it is.
> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Ah, I see. So then why do I need a regulator and hose? Anyone know if
> > the screw attachment is different from US versions?
> >

> > adm wrote:
> >> Yup - you can get both Propane and Butane here.....
> >>
> >> "BigSlick" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Cam" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> adm wrote:
>> "Cam" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > I was in the Michigan Bass Pro last week and they were selling ECBs for
>> > $25.

>> A Weber Smokey Mountain in the UK will set you back around $370 of your
>> US
>> dollars.....
>>
>> It's shameful, but I dropped the cash three years ago and nonetheless,
>> it's
>> been a great investment.

> An ECB would be even more expensive, first you buy it and then you
> upgrade to the WSM. You saved 70 quid by jumping a step.
>
> Cam

All thanks to the knowledge of this group !

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Many welcomes bestowed upon you! Happy grilling in the land of the queen!
"adm" > wrote in message

> "Cam" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> adm wrote:
>>> "Cam" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> A Weber Smokey Mountain in the UK will set you back around $370 of your
>>> US
>>> dollars.....
>>>
>>> It's shameful, but I dropped the cash three years ago and nonetheless,
>>> it's
>>> been a great investment.

>> An ECB would be even more expensive, first you buy it and then you
>> upgrade to the WSM. You saved 70 quid by jumping a step.
>>
>> Cam

> All thanks to the knowledge of this group !

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"jdoe" > wrote in message
m...
> Many welcomes bestowed upon you! Happy grilling in the land of the queen!

Thanks ! I've been lurking and occasionally posting here for the last four
years or so - and if I say it myself, probably cooking some of the finest
'cue in the UK. (Where ribs are typically boiled and then cooked in an oven
in tomato sauce)

Currently have four racks of spares (from organic pigs) on the WSM as we
speak - with a simple salt, tropical pepper, garlic, mustard seed and a
little sugar based rub. They've had about 41/2 hours so far and are looking
good - maybe another hour or so to go..... Smoking 'em over some good lump
with a few hunks of cherry from one of the trees in my garden.

I'm just enjoying an adult beverage or two while the kids splash in the
pool, the wife sunbathes topless and the hound dog skulks in the shade.

> "adm" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cam" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> An ECB would be even more expensive, first you buy it and then you
>>> upgrade to the WSM. You saved 70 quid by jumping a step.
>>>
>>> Cam

>> All thanks to the knowledge of this group !

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"adm" > wrote in message

> "jdoe" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Many welcomes bestowed upon you! Happy grilling in the land of the

queen!

> Thanks ! I've been lurking and occasionally posting here for the last four
> years or so - and if I say it myself, probably cooking some of the finest
> 'cue in the UK.

I resemble that remark.

Good to see your still posting. I couldn't help with the initial subject
header as I don't cook with gas outdoors. I kicked that into touch long ago.

BTW, did you track down the Big K restaurant charcoal? I still rate that
above anything else I've used, and it's a bargain at 8 quid a sack.

See you around.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "adm" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jdoe" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> > Many welcomes bestowed upon you! Happy grilling in the land of the

> queen!
>>
>> Thanks ! I've been lurking and occasionally posting here for the last
>> four
>> years or so - and if I say it myself, probably cooking some of the finest
>> 'cue in the UK.

> I resemble that remark.

Indeed you do! I wasn't ready to say "The Best" as I know there are a few
peeps here from the UK fighting the good fight - yourself for one.

> Good to see your still posting. I couldn't help with the initial subject
> header as I don't cook with gas outdoors. I kicked that into touch long
> ago.

Me too - never had a gas cooker, I've always been a charcoal and hardwood
kind of guy.

I had to suffer a friend's "Barbecue" last week on a gasser. I did ribs and
brisket for him the week before and the return match was crap tesco sausages
and some (admittedly rather good) fillet mignons. Personally, I'd have done
the fillet as a single piece over oak (probably in a very hot Weber kettle),
left it to rest and then sliced it later. But you know how it is....

The ribs came out very good today. They were probably the meatiest spares
I've ever seen (about 2Kg per rack!!), and after about 6 hours over cherry
were more like pulled pork with a few bones in..... I'm now leaning in
favour of spares as opposed to baby backs.

> BTW, did you track down the Big K restaurant charcoal? I still rate that
> above anything else I've used, and it's a bargain at 8 quid a sack.

I haven't. I called them and they wouldn't deliver outside the M25, even
after I offered to buy a half tonne at a time. To be honest, the charcoal
here (S. Surrey) is shite. The locally available Big K (non-restaurant
stuff) is OK, but it's always just small chunks and dust. I found what I
thought was a good local supply recently, but the first bag I got was
obviously old pine, creosoted fenceposts and just burst into smokey flames.
Shite, shite, shite.(and unuseable for cooking) I've looked at a few local
vendors, but they all seem to make their charcoal out of crappy softwood or
furniture offcuts.

See here for example where they claim less dense wood is good. As for me, I
want hard, dense charcoal....
http://www.allotmentforestry.com/fact/Charcoal.htm

Having moved to the country a year ago, it's wierd, but I need to go to
London to get good lump. The Clear Skies stuff I posted about before is
still my favourite. I go to town every few weeks and buy a 15Kg box or two.

I have a big bash coming up in August as there is an airshow about 0.5 miles
from my house on the 27th so we're going to have a meat and booze party and
watch the planes.

http://www.wingsandwheels.net/home.asp?fdv=1

I need to get my shit together by then. I might see if I can go and collect
a load of Big K from the nearest disty in a friend's van.

Come on over if you aren't doing anything - WARNING - lots of small
children wil be present !

BR

Alasdair

Weber SMS MikeandCori Barbecue 5 08-11-2011 04:41 AM
Custom upgrading Weber Q 200 to Weber Q 220 ddennick Barbecue 1 05-01-2010 11:42 PM
Weber S-450 raymond Barbecue 0 07-03-2007 10:14 PM
If anyone's considering a Weber... Kent Barbecue 6 24-03-2005 05:25 AM
Need to buy a Weber! JaKe Barbecue 15 15-09-2004 09:33 PM