Member

Default Weber SMS

We just purchased an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and cooked a chicken, which took about 3 hours. We took it out when it reached the proper temperature (175 degrees) and let it sit for the appropriate time (15 minutes). However, the skin was like leather and the smokey taste was overwhelming. Not a satsifactory experience at all. We followed instructions to the letter, but won't try this again until we figure out what went wrong. 3 Hours is a long time to wait for an inferior smoked chicken!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:22:46 +0000, MikeandCori
> wrote:

>We just purchased an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and cooked a
>chicken, which took about 3 hours. We took it out when it reached the
>proper temperature (175 degrees) and let it sit for the appropriate time
>(15 minutes). However, the skin was like leather and the smokey taste
>was overwhelming. Not a satsifactory experience at all. We followed
>instructions to the letter, but won't try this again until we figure out
>what went wrong. 3 Hours is a long time to wait for an inferior smoked
>chicken!
>
>Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

What instructions?

You cooked it too long at low temperature. Chicken does not need the
"low and slow" but use 350 to 400 degrees and go easy on the smoke.
You don't need visible smoke either.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 7, 12:22*pm, MikeandCori <MikeandCori.
> wrote:

<snip string of statements>

> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What's your question?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:22:46 +0000, MikeandCori
> > wrote:
>

>>We just purchased an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and cooked a
>>chicken, which took about 3 hours. We took it out when it reached the
>>proper temperature (175 degrees) and let it sit for the appropriate time
>>(15 minutes). However, the skin was like leather and the smokey taste
>>was overwhelming. Not a satsifactory experience at all. We followed
>>instructions to the letter, but won't try this again until we figure out
>>what went wrong. 3 Hours is a long time to wait for an inferior smoked
>>chicken!
>>
>>Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mike

> What instructions?
>
> You cooked it too long at low temperature. Chicken does not need the
> "low and slow" but use 350 to 400 degrees and go easy on the smoke.
> You don't need visible smoke either.

Same with turkey. Low and slow results in leathery skin as well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"MikeandCori" > wrote in message

> We just purchased an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and cooked a
> chicken, which took about 3 hours. We took it out when it reached the
> proper temperature (175 degrees) and let it sit for the appropriate time
> (15 minutes). However, the skin was like leather and the smokey taste
> was overwhelming. Not a satsifactory experience at all. We followed
> instructions to the letter, but won't try this again until we figure out
> what went wrong. 3 Hours is a long time to wait for an inferior smoked
> chicken!
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Did you roast it with a full water bath and a temp. of 225-250F? That will
give you leathery skin. When we roast chicken it's with the water bowl
empty. The internal temp then is about 350F, and the chicken takes 1-1.5
hours, depending on the weight. You accomplish about the same thing with the
chicken cooked indirectly on the Weber kettle. We also like beer can
chicken. The chicken goes on the bottom grate, with baskets of charcoal on
either side. The radiant heat from the side gives you a good crispy skin.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Nov 7, 12:22 pm, MikeandCori <MikeandCori.
> wrote:

<snip string of statements>

> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>

>What's your question?

Reread the OP's post

Weber SMS jamiep Barbecue 5 25-12-2011 12:53 PM
Custom upgrading Weber Q 200 to Weber Q 220 ddennick Barbecue 1 05-01-2010 11:42 PM
Weber S-450 raymond Barbecue 0 07-03-2007 10:14 PM
If anyone's considering a Weber... Kent Barbecue 6 24-03-2005 05:25 AM
Need to buy a Weber! JaKe Barbecue 15 15-09-2004 09:33 PM