Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default grill question

My BIL purchased a grill that uses infrared emitters, rather
than traditional burners. Like many other grills, the grill
surface was made from enameled cast iron. The grills that
hold the meat were convex on one side and concave on the
other. He said that the proper way to set them in place was
with the concave side UP to trap the grease drippings. I
felt that this was nuts, but the assembly manual with the
grill didn't specify which side should be up.

Whenever I've seen other grills in stores with similar grill
surfaces, they are always installed with the convex side
upward, as I would do if my grill was like that.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Nonnymus > wrote:
> My BIL purchased a grill that uses infrared emitters, rather
> than traditional burners.

Why?

> He said that the proper way to set them in place was
> with the concave side UP to trap the grease drippings.

I can't imagine why you would want to do this.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

He bought a TEC grill. IMHO Gimmicky way to spend LOTS of $$$ for a grill
only good for steaks.
"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> In alt.food.barbecue, Nonnymus > wrote:
>>> My BIL purchased a grill that uses infrared emitters, rather than
>>> traditional burners.

>> Why?

> The reason, as told to me, was that the infrared emitters put a LOT more
> heat up on the meat, searing it faster and sealing in flavors Seeing it
> in operation, I'm not going to argue- the sucker gets hot really quickly
> and does a good job grilling a steak.
>
> The emitters (3) are similar to the long, slender ones seen in many grills
> that have a rotisserie. His are almost square and are situated beneath
> the grates, rather than above and behind them. When drippings hit them,
> there is instant smoke, but I've never seen a flare-up- presumably because
> the drippings are vaporized. I was there when he purchased it and it was
> fairly expensive. It appears to have been well constructed.
>
> My "dispute" is not about the benefit of the emitters vs. burners, but in
> which side of the grates should face upward.
>

>>> He said that the proper way to set them in place was with the concave
>>> side UP to trap the grease drippings.

>> I can't imagine why you would want to do this.
>>

> I have difficulty with this as well, and that's why I'm asking this astute
> group if anyone else has seen, heard or done this.
>
> Nonnymus

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hello Nonnymus,

> My BIL purchased a grill that uses infrared emitters, rather than
> traditional burners. Like many other grills, the grill surface was
> made from enameled cast iron. The grills that hold the meat were
> convex on one side and concave on the other. He said that the proper
> way to set them in place was with the concave side UP to trap the
> grease drippings. I felt that this was nuts, but the assembly manual
> with the grill didn't specify which side should be up.
>
> Whenever I've seen other grills in stores with similar grill surfaces,
> they are always installed with the convex side upward, as I would do
> if my grill was like that.
>
> Any thoughts on the subject?

Your BIL is correct. A friend of mine is a TEC reseller, and he says that
people commonly confuse the orientation of the rack. I myself asked him,
when seeing one for the first time in the showroom, whether the rack was
upside down, and his explanation was identical to your BIL's. The rack itself
is not responsible for searing; the infrared emitter are.

Gas grill question SteveSch Barbecue 5 25-08-2006 02:51 PM
gas grill cover question Phyllis Stone General Cooking 23 15-01-2006 10:17 AM
grill material question [email protected] Barbecue 1 27-06-2005 03:42 AM
BBQ Grill Question SP General Cooking 2 22-05-2005 05:51 PM
Old Grill Question Tim General Cooking 16 07-03-2004 04:30 PM