Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Gas grill question

Hi,

I have seen and read many posts with a similar question. I am sorry to be
posting this question again but I am asking because several people
recommend Webers, and ours has not worked as well as I would have hoped.

We need a new gas grill. I have read the group and it seems many like
Webers for inexpensive grills.

I have an older red Weber that was fairly expensive at the time. I have
never been that happy with it for a couple of reasons.

1.) The three burners run across the grill. One burner goes all the way
across the back. Another across the front of the grill and the third
across the center from left to right. If you have something fairly large
it's hard to cook with indirect heat. It seems it would be much easier if
the burners went from front to back. Then I could just shut off, or turn
down, the left or right side.

2.) I live in Colorado. When the temperature drops this unit basically
bakes the meat. Forget any char marks at all. Not going to happen.

I'd like to try an IR grill but am on a limited budget. After reading this
group for a while I plan on getting a WSM too. Just missed the Big Lots
deal-dang it. I will just mostly use the gas grill for quickie burgers or
dogs, like when company arrives unexpected.

I also need a fairly large surface area. It is not unusual to completely
fill this grill when we cook out.

Are the newer Webers better?

Is the cold just a factor with all gas grills?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

SteveSch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen and read many posts with a similar question. I am sorry to be
> posting this question again but I am asking because several people
> recommend Webers, and ours has not worked as well as I would have hoped.

Steve, get a Sam's Club 3-burner grill and spend the money
you save on a Barbeques Galore IR portable grill for on the
side. If it's so cold that you are just baking the meat in
the winter, consider revamping your orifices to a little bit
larger size.

When it comes down to the grilling, it's the burner
size/capacity, flame interceptor and type of gill surface.
Sam's Club sells the best for the least, IMHO.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"SteveSch" > wrote in message
news
> Hi,
>
> I have seen and read many posts with a similar question. I am sorry to be
> posting this question again but I am asking because several people
> recommend Webers, and ours has not worked as well as I would have hoped.
>
> We need a new gas grill. I have read the group and it seems many like
> Webers for inexpensive grills.
>
> I have an older red Weber that was fairly expensive at the time. I have
> never been that happy with it for a couple of reasons.
>
> 1.) The three burners run across the grill. One burner goes all the way
> across the back. Another across the front of the grill and the third
> across the center from left to right. If you have something fairly large
> it's hard to cook with indirect heat. It seems it would be much easier if
> the burners went from front to back. Then I could just shut off, or turn
> down, the left or right side.

This is my concern with a Weber also. I'd think the burners running front
to back would be better, especially for indirect heat.

> 2.) I live in Colorado. When the temperature drops this unit basically
> bakes the meat. Forget any char marks at all. Not going to happen.
>
> I'd like to try an IR grill but am on a limited budget. After reading this
> group for a while I plan on getting a WSM too. Just missed the Big Lots
> deal-dang it. I will just mostly use the gas grill for quickie burgers or
> dogs, like when company arrives unexpected.
>
> I also need a fairly large surface area. It is not unusual to completely
> fill this grill when we cook out.
>
> Are the newer Webers better?
>
> Is the cold just a factor with all gas grills?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

SteveSch wrote:
> Hi,
>

> 1.) The three burners run across the grill. One burner goes all the way
> across the back. Another across the front of the grill and the third
> across the center from left to right. If you have something fairly large
> it's hard to cook with indirect heat. It seems it would be much easier if
> the burners went from front to back. Then I could just shut off, or turn
> down, the left or right side.

Very true if you're trying BBQ on it. For roasts, turkeys,
chickens etc that I choose to do on the gasser, I just put
'em on the rotis. no problem. I'd say this is closer to
roasting though.

That being said, I have done Q on it before this group wised
me up and I bought the WSM. Never looked back after that.
Best of both worlds.

Are there better units than the Silver B and WSM? I'd answer
that with a qualified yes. Qualified because "better" is
subjective and different people have different views.

Sure you can spend a lot of money on a ceramic, IR, whatever
but for me, the results just don't justify the cost. Notice,
I said "for me".

> 2.) I live in Colorado. When the temperature drops this unit basically
> bakes the meat. Forget any char marks at all. Not going to happen.

I live in NY where we get some pretty nasty winters and I
use my Weber Siver B all winter. No problem at all searing a
good steak, making burgers, and I still roast turkeys,
roasts and things which also works fine. But I'm not
familiar with your unit.

> I'd like to try an IR grill but am on a limited budget. After reading this
> group for a while I plan on getting a WSM too. Just missed the Big Lots
> deal-dang it. I will just mostly use the gas grill for quickie burgers or
> dogs, like when company arrives unexpected.

Good move, the WSM works very well. I use this all year as
well. In the winter though you want to make sure that it's
shielded from the winds. I'm trying to convince myself to
get a BBQ Guru for mine but haven't "pulled the trigger"....
YET. ;-)

> I also need a fairly large surface area. It is not unusual to completely
> fill this grill when we cook out.

No clue what the grate size in your model but the Silver B
has quite a large cooking area if you're using it as a grill.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"SteveSch" > wrote in message
news
> Hi,
>
> I have seen and read many posts with a similar question. I am sorry to be
> posting this question again but I am asking because several people
> recommend Webers, and ours has not worked as well as I would have hoped.
>
> We need a new gas grill. I have read the group and it seems many like
> Webers for inexpensive grills.
>
> I have an older red Weber that was fairly expensive at the time. I have
> never been that happy with it for a couple of reasons.
>
> 1.) The three burners run across the grill. One burner goes all the way
> across the back. Another across the front of the grill and the third
> across the center from left to right. If you have something fairly large
> it's hard to cook with indirect heat. It seems it would be much easier if
> the burners went from front to back. Then I could just shut off, or turn
> down, the left or right side.

I think this is strictly a matter of personal preference. I have a Weber
Genesis B with three burners as yours and I wouldn't want it any other way,
though I do all, or 95% of indirect cooking on the Weber kettle. You would
have to place your turkey, or whatever, front to back. I think the
temperature of the gas grill is slightly higher in the back of the grill
than in the front.

> 2.) I live in Colorado. When the temperature drops this unit basically
> bakes the meat. Forget any char marks at all. Not going to happen.

This is true of all gas grills other than IRs. Since I added porcelein cast
iron grates this is better. In the winter I always use the charcoal round
Weber, though in N. Cal we really don't have a winter, only rain.

> I'd like to try an IR grill but am on a limited budget. After reading this
> group for a while I plan on getting a WSM too. Just missed the Big Lots
> deal-dang it. I will just mostly use the gas grill for quickie burgers or
> dogs, like when company arrives unexpected.

I thought about the WSM. I think the grate diameter is too small, especially
for a large group.

> I also need a fairly large surface area. It is not unusual to completely
> fill this grill when we cook out.
>
> Are the newer Webers better?
>
> Is the cold just a factor with all gas grills?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:57:32 -0600, SteveSch wrote:

Thanks everyone for the info.

Steve

grill question Nonnymus Barbecue 4 01-07-2006 05:56 PM
gas grill cover question Phyllis Stone General Cooking 23 15-01-2006 10:17 AM
grill material question [email protected] Barbecue 1 27-06-2005 03:42 AM
BBQ Grill Question SP General Cooking 2 22-05-2005 05:51 PM
Old Grill Question Tim General Cooking 16 07-03-2004 04:30 PM