Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Heavy_Smoker

Default Cornish Hens?

Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.

Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish Hens
volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up on it.

Should I cut them in half like chickens?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Smoke on.

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pete Romfh

Heavy_Smoker wrote:
> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>
> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish
> Hens volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up
> on it.
>
> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Smoke on.

I generally treat them like a small chicken

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:42:10 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>>
>> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish
>> Hens volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up
>> on it.
>>
>> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Smoke on.

>I generally treat them like a small chicken

That's what they are.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Heavy_Smoker

Kevin S. Wilson said

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:42:10 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>>Heavy_Smoker wrote:
>>> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>>>
>>> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish
>>> Hens volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>> Smoke on.

>>I generally treat them like a small chicken

> That's what they are.

Well, I just plopped them 'whole' in my WSM. One naked (skinless)
and one not. I find that chicken absorbs the smokey flavor better
w/o the skin.

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:

> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>
> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish Hens
> volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up on it.
>
> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Smoke on.
>
> --
> Better living through smoking.

I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd spatchcock
the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until nearly done and then
finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill ) to crisp up the skin some. I
have
a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I use. Smoke
is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat the oven and too much
makes dog food.
--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>>
>> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish Hens
>> volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up on it.
>>
>> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Smoke on.
>>
>> --
>> Better living through smoking.

>I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd spatchcock
>the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until nearly done and then
>finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill ) to crisp up the skin some. I
>have
>a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I use. Smoke
>is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat the oven and too much
>makes dog food.

Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
>
> Harry

Is Palomino mix about the same as dalmation mix??

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Heavy_Smoker

Harry Demidavicius said

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>>On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
>>>

>>I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
>>spatchcock the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until
>>nearly done and then finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill
>>) to crisp up the skin some. I have
>>a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I
>>use. Smoke is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat
>>the oven and too much makes dog food.

> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with
> EVOO and rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I
> need because I spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.

I've never heard of spatchcocking. Is this accurate?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Please post your pics. I'd like to see them.

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Heavy_Smoker

Heavy_Smoker said

> Kevin S. Wilson said
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:42:10 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
>> > wrote:

>>>I generally treat them like a small chicken

>> That's what they are.

> Well, I just plopped them 'whole' in my WSM. One naked
>(skinless) and one not. I find that chicken absorbs the
> smokey flavor better w/o the skin.

Well, the naked one was delicious. I pulled it off a little
early...I'm hungry.. and my WSM is having trouble keeping temp today.
Hope I don't die.

It reminds me a T-Giving - picking at the bird carcass and all. Yum.

--
Better living through smoking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:42:38 -0600, "2fatbbq" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>

>> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
>> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
>> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
>>
>> Harry

>Is Palomino mix about the same as dalmation mix??
>
>Buzz

don't know, but if it's salt, pepper, garlic & a little cayenne -
probably

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On 08 Jan 2006 00:11:54 GMT, "Heavy_Smoker"
> wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius said
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick"
>> > wrote:

>>>I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
>>>spatchcock the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until
>>>nearly done and then finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill
>>>) to crisp up the skin some. I have
>>>a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I
>>>use. Smoke is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat
>>>the oven and too much makes dog food.

>> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with
>> EVOO and rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I
>> need because I spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.

>I've never heard of spatchcocking. Is this accurate?
>
>http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
>
>Please post your pics. I'd like to see them.

They have been posted on ABF

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 7-Jan-2006, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

> >On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
> >>
> >> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish Hens
> >> volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up on it.
> >>
> >> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions appreciated.
> >>
> >> Smoke on.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Better living through smoking.

> >I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
> >spatchcock
> >the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until nearly done and then
> >finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill ) to crisp up the skin some.
> >have
> >a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I use.
> >Smoke
> >is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat the oven and too
> >much
> >makes dog food.

> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
>
> Harry

Harry, as usual, my defective memory has led me astray. I do use the
vertical racks sometimes with good results, but I also spatch' birds
about as often. I'm gonna pirate your EVOO and Palomino mix idea.
I've worn out my appreciation for cajun rub. And since I don't try to
slo cook birds anymore, I don't have a problem with rubber skin. It
don't matter anyway, because us old folks don't eat the skin. (Dammit,
it kills me to throw away the tastiest part of the bird.)

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:16:39 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 7-Jan-2006, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:

>> >I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
>> >spatchcock
>> >the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until nearly done and then
>> >finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill ) to crisp up the skin some.
>> >have
>> >a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I use.
>> >Smoke
>> >is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat the oven and too
>> >much
>> >makes dog food.

>> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
>> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
>> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
>>
>> Harry

>Harry, as usual, my defective memory has led me astray. I do use the
>vertical racks sometimes with good results, but I also spatch' birds
>about as often. I'm gonna pirate your EVOO and Palomino mix idea.
>I've worn out my appreciation for cajun rub. And since I don't try to
>slo cook birds anymore, I don't have a problem with rubber skin. It
>don't matter anyway, because us old folks don't eat the skin. (Dammit,
>it kills me to throw away the tastiest part of the bird.)

I have learned to ignore 'recipes' for brines & rubs where the number
of ingredients exceeds '5'.

You would not need to do this [toss the wrapper], when it's nice 'n
crisp, Brick.

Harry
who was born in early '39 but is definitely NOT old.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:

> Harry Demidavicius said
>
> > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick"
> > > wrote:

> >>I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
> >>spatchcock the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until
> >>nearly done and then finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill
> >>) to crisp up the skin some. I have
> >>a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I
> >>use. Smoke is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat
> >>the oven and too much makes dog food.

> > Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with
> > EVOO and rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I
> > need because I spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.

> I've never heard of spatchcocking. Is this accurate?
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
>
> Please post your pics. I'd like to see them.

You need look no further. That reference is accurate. It's applicable to
either grilling or smoking. It's becoming the method of choice for
BBQ aficionados. (Cut out the backbone and mash flat.)

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Duwop

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message

> I've never heard of spatchcocking. Is this accurate?
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Yep, that's spatchcocking. I separate the halves for easier cooking and
handling when I roast chix. I expect on something like the Kamado that's not
needed. Bet chicken cut like this on a WSM with the baffle removed would
cook up real nice too.

(anxiously awaiting delivery of his new K, no not Kamado, Klose)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote:

> >> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
> >> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
> >> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
> >>

> >Harry, as usual, my defective memory has led me astray. I do use the
> >vertical racks sometimes with good results, but I also spatch' birds
> >about as often. I'm gonna pirate your EVOO and Palomino mix idea.
> >I've worn out my appreciation for cajun rub. And since I don't try to
> >slo cook birds anymore, I don't have a problem with rubber skin. It
> >don't matter anyway, because us old folks don't eat the skin. (Dammit,
> >it kills me to throw away the tastiest part of the bird.)

> I have learned to ignore 'recipes' for brines & rubs where the number
> of ingredients exceeds '5'.
>
> You would not need to do this [toss the wrapper], when it's nice 'n
> crisp, Brick.

Which can also be done by tossing the skin in a CI skillet to crisp it up.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:29:45 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
>
>> Harry Demidavicius said
>>
>> > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick"

>> > Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with
>> > EVOO and rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I
>> > need because I spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.

>> Please post your pics. I'd like to see them.

Posted yesterday, Mr. B.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
The Reverend

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote

> my WSM is having trouble keeping temp today.
> Hope I don't die.

As long as its not galvanized you should be ok.<g>

Oh nevermind.

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

Cornish hens ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 29-11-2010 04:06 PM
Herbed Cornish Hens Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:01 PM
Cornish Game Hens Linda and Ron Audet Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2005 04:03 AM
How To Clean Cornish Hens Lou Vincze General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 01:15 AM