Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornish hens

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
"baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
buy. <g>

I bought two of them anyway; we're having a bit of a 'birthday bash' for
the kids this coming Saturday and we've invited a few friends over to
celebrate with us. I also got two (rather small) ducks.

We're going to cook the birds (slowly) on an outdoor 'spit' (as in
rotisserie). For those who don't fancy poultry we bought some beef to make
kebabs/kabobs and some "matured rump steak"[1] that we'll grill on the
'braai'. I'll be making some tater salad, some green salad and a bunch of
'finger food' to keep the hunger pains at bay while the birds are turning.
Must admit I'm quite looking forward to it. :-)

[1] This might be what is known as 'round steak' in the USA, but I'm not
really sure. There's a pretty good pic he

http://www.edwardsofconwy.co.uk/imag...s%20Of%20C.jpg

We often marinate it in red wine, garlic and maybe some Worcestershire
sauce for several hours or overnight before grilling because it can be a
bit on the tough side otherwise... But it's tasty.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USA.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:12 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 04:44:46 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
>>"baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
>>because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local
>>supermarkets had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs
>>each... They looked like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than
>>the ones I normally buy. <g>

> No, my understanding is that they are a separate breed. Baby chickens
> are poussins, from what I have read.
> Most Cornish hens are much smaller than that, as you mentioned.

Ah, OK. But hey, I'm pretty sure these birds will be fine - and will
taste like... chicken ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 03:36:57 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 08:01:41p, ChattyCathy told us...
>>
>> Ah, OK. But hey, I'm pretty sure these birds will be fine - and will
>> taste like... chicken ;-)
>>

> I'm sure they'll be delicious.

I think so too... you should see the nifty 'spit braai' we've hired. It's
big enough to take the 4 birds, but not so big that we can't fit it in the
back of my station wagon. It uses LPG (supplied and included in the
rental fee by our butcher) and the rotisserie motor is powered by a
battery that 'clips' on the side of it. So even if we have one of our
infamous power outages we'll still be good to go <grin>

Oh, yes - I've also ordered 4lbs of pork cocktail sausages from our
butchery as well - we'll chuck those in underneath the birds with a bag of
baby spuds and have those to snack on too.

> By definition, Cornish hens actually
> are chickens but have been bred to be small. They are not game hens as
> some names would imply; e.g., "Cornish Game Hen" or "Rock Cornish Game
> Hen". In the US they range from 1-2 pounds, 2 pounds being considered
> rather large for the breed.

Yeah, thanks. I did a bit of googling - it would seem they were originally
bred somewhere in Connecticut?

So how's your Thanksgiving been so far? Full yet? <lol>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:11:34 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 25 Nov 2010 09:31:18p, ChattyCathy told us...
>
> Cathy, it sounds as though you have everything well planned and a nice
> choice of meats to choose from. What else are your serving? How many
> people are you expecting?

Heh. I'm not usually much of a planner, and only host biggish shindigs
about once a year these days - so I'm trying to 'cover all my bases'.

I did mention some of the other stuff we're having a few posts upthread
so I won't repeat myself ;-)

As for how many people - maybe 10-15 adults and 6 or 7 kiddies - but I've
got a whole 'nother bunch of 'kid-friendly' food for them.

>> Yeah, thanks. I did a bit of googling - it would seem they were
>> originally bred somewhere in Connecticut?

> Yes, that's my understanding. They've always been popular in the US,
> but were really quite the rage in the 1960s and 1970s, especially for
> home dinner parties. Back then the hens averaged from just under a
> pound to barely over a pound, so it was always one hen per guest. Made
> for a very pretty presentation. Often stuffed and roasted. Other
> popular preparations were done with a fruit glaze similar to duck a
> l'orange or cherries. One restaurant we used to frequent served them
> deboned, but completely in one piece, with a fruit glaze.

Sounds rather delish!

>> So how's your Thanksgiving been so far? Full yet? <lol>
>>

> Actually, we're celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday this year with
> friends at their home. Tomorrow I will bake pies, make candied sweet
> potatoes, and prepare yeast dough for overnight rolls that we'll bake on
> Saturday. There will be 12 of us and it should be a very nice day.

Wow. Sounds like you've been doing some planning of your own ;-) Have fun!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 4:36*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:12 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:
> >> No, my understanding is that they are a separate breed. *Baby
> >> chickens are poussins, from what I have read.
> >> Most Cornish hens are much smaller than that, as you mentioned.

> I'm sure they'll be delicious. *By definition, Cornish hens actually
> are chickens but have been bred to be small. *They are not game hens
> as some names would imply; e.g., "Cornish Game Hen" or "Rock Cornish
> Game Hen". *In the US they range from 1-2 pounds, 2 pounds being
> considered rather large for the breed.

Hmm. I wonder if we coud just eat bantams and call them "Cornish
hens".

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

LW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 9:44*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
> "baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
> because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
> had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
> like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
> buy. <g>

I'm wondering if you are talking about 'Rock Cornish Game Hens,' which
are a smaller breed of chicken.

> I bought two of them anyway; we're having a bit of a 'birthday bash' for
> the kids this coming Saturday and we've invited a few friends over to
> celebrate with us. I also got two (rather small) ducks.
>
> We're going to cook the birds (slowly) on an outdoor 'spit' (as in
> rotisserie). For those who don't fancy poultry we bought some beef to make
> kebabs/kabobs and some "matured rump steak"[1] that we'll grill on the
> 'braai'. I'll be making some tater salad, some green salad and a bunch of
> 'finger food' to keep the hunger pains at bay while the birds are turning..
> Must admit I'm quite looking forward to it. :-)
>
> [1] This might be what is known as 'round steak' in the USA, but I'm not
> really sure. There's a pretty good pic he
>
> http://www.edwardsofconwy.co.uk/imag...s%20Of%20C.jpg
>
> We often marinate it in red wine, garlic and maybe some Worcestershire
> sauce for several hours or overnight before grilling because it can be a
> bit on the tough side otherwise... But it's tasty.
>
> BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USA.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:47*am, A Moose In Love >
wrote:
> On Nov 25, 9:44*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
> > "baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
> > because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
> > had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
> > like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
> > buy. <g>

> I'm wondering if you are talking about 'Rock Cornish Game Hens,' which
> are a smaller breed of chicken.
>

> > I bought two of them anyway; we're having a bit of a 'birthday bash' for
> > the kids this coming Saturday and we've invited a few friends over to
> > celebrate with us. I also got two (rather small) ducks.

> > We're going to cook the birds (slowly) on an outdoor 'spit' (as in
> > rotisserie). For those who don't fancy poultry we bought some beef to make
> > kebabs/kabobs and some "matured rump steak"[1] that we'll grill on the
> > 'braai'. I'll be making some tater salad, some green salad and a bunch of
> > 'finger food' to keep the hunger pains at bay while the birds are turning.
> > Must admit I'm quite looking forward to it. :-)

> > [1] This might be what is known as 'round steak' in the USA, but I'm not
> > really sure. There's a pretty good pic he

> >http://www.edwardsofconwy.co.uk/imag...s%20Of%20C.jpg

> > We often marinate it in red wine, garlic and maybe some Worcestershire
> > sauce for several hours or overnight before grilling because it can be a
> > bit on the tough side otherwise... But it's tasty.

> > BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USA.

> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy- Hide quoted text -

This post has actually brought back memories. We had a banquet for
1000. They were being served (this was back in about 1979) rock
cornish game hens. (btw, the 'game' in the title is just that; it's a
name; they are not 'game' hens). We purchased 1000 game hens from the
packer. The kitchen prep prepped them. They went into the oven.
Banquet time came around. The meals went out. Then they started to
come back to the kitchen. Kitchen prep had forgotten to take out the
little packet in the body cavity that contains the giblets. LOL. The
Sous Chef was supposed to double check the kitchen prep work, but
failed to do so. Did he ever get nailed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:12 -0800, Christine Dabney
> arranged random neurons and said:

>On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 04:44:46 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:
>
>>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
>>"baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
>>because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
>>had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
>>like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
>>buy. <g>

>No, my understanding is that they are a separate breed. Baby chickens
>are poussins, from what I have read.
>Most Cornish hens are much smaller than that, as you mentioned.

Christine, I'm pretty sure they actually are baby chickens that are
overfed (as opposed to force fed) and slaughtered at 5 - 6 weeks. The
2 in my freezer are 22 ounces apiece.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:51:00 -0800, A Moose In Love wrote:

>> This post has actually brought back memories. We had a banquet for

> 1000. They were being served (this was back in about 1979) rock cornish
> game hens. (btw, the 'game' in the title is just that; it's a name;
> they are not 'game' hens). We purchased 1000 game hens from the packer.
> The kitchen prep prepped them. They went into the oven. Banquet time
> came around. The meals went out. Then they started to come back to the
> kitchen. Kitchen prep had forgotten to take out the little packet in
> the body cavity that contains the giblets. LOL. The Sous Chef was
> supposed to double check the kitchen prep work, but failed to do so.
> Did he ever get nailed.

O.M.G. I imagine he did!

FWIW, I did the same thing - once, and it was only one chicken - when I
got my first job and moved out from my parents' house and into my own
apartment. Heh. I hardly knew how to boil an egg, let alone peel one, back
then. But I learned - fast - because I like my food edible. <g>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:12 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 04:44:46 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:
>>
>>>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
>>>"baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
>>>because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
>>>had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
>>>like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
>>>buy. <g>

>>No, my understanding is that they are a separate breed. Baby chickens
>>are poussins, from what I have read.
>>Most Cornish hens are much smaller than that, as you mentioned.

> Christine, I'm pretty sure they actually are baby chickens that are
> overfed (as opposed to force fed) and slaughtered at 5 - 6 weeks. The
> 2 in my freezer are 22 ounces apiece.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.
They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry if it upsets your
PETA heart but this is a fact.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Sorry if it upsets your
>PETA heart but this is a fact.

...and why don't we ever see a "cornish game hen" farm?.....<vbg>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2010 11:05 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Christine, I'm pretty sure they actually are baby chickens that are
> overfed (as opposed to force fed) and slaughtered at 5 - 6 weeks. The
> 2 in my freezer are 22 ounces apiece.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Wikipedia says you are correct,
cornish hens are young chickens. I had to look it up.

"Despite the name, it is not a game bird, but actually a typical chicken
that is slaughtered at a young age and therefore is smaller in size.
Though the bird is called a "hen," it can be either male or female."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_hen

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
> "baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
> because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
> had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
> like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
> buy. <g>

You seem to be mostly correct. We (generic "we") had a discussion on
"Rock Cornish Game Hens" in something like 2001 or so. It seems the
consensus was that, in theory, they were once supposed to be a
particular breed, but in current practice, they were just baby chicken.
It is now quasi official:

<http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-24536.htm>
and
<http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/99-017P.htm>
and
<http://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2003/09/29/03-24536/classes-of-poultry>

[...] "Current class definitions state that a bird labeled as a Rock
Cornish-type chicken must be "the progeny of a cross between a purebred
Cornish and a purebred Rock chicken" (9 CFR 381.170(a)(1)(ii)), or "a
Cornish chicken or the progeny of a Cornish chicken crossed with another
breed of chicken" (9 CFR 381.170(a)(1)(i)). While this statement was
appropriate when these chickens were originally developed over 40 years
ago, today it is doubtful that any purebred Cornish or Rock lines exist
in commercial chicken production. The names "Rock Cornish game hen" and
"Cornish game hen" are now used to identify a very young, very small,
whole chicken that is marketed as an individual serving. Although the
names refer to hens, either sex can be used since birds of this class
are sexually immature. The names "Rock Cornish fryer," "Rock Cornish
roaster," and "Rock Cornish hen" are no longer meaningful because these
birds cannot be reliably distinguished on the basis of progeny from
other existing classes. Therefore, the Agency is proposing to define the
Rock Cornish game hen or Cornish game hen class only in terms of age and
weight and to delete the class of Rock Cornish fryer, roaster, and hen.

[...] (1) Chickens--(i) Rock Cornish game hen or Cornish game hen. A
"Rock Cornish game hen" or "Cornish game hen" is a young immature
chicken (less than 5 weeks of age), of either sex, with a ready-to-cook
carcass weight of not more than 2 pounds.

"Cornish game hens" I have seen in America were usually frozen and
tended to be a bit larger on average than the fresh poussins (usually
French-produced) I find here in Germany.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
>"baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
>because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
>had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
>like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
>buy.

--->
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food.../entry?id=1842
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 8:44*pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all in the USA.

The traditional TG feast, made simply, is one of the best things about
the USA. Turkey, roasted, stuffed with onion, celery and sage
stuffing is the centerpiece, and the gravy from the turkey is
sublime. Then add mashed potatoes and corn, and ideally some well
cooked carrots as well, cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar, water
ONLY).

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 04:44:46 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Cornish hens supposed to be
> "baby chickens" i.e. 5-6 weeks old and not over 2lbs in weight? I ask
> because when I was out food shopping today, one of our local supermarkets
> had "Cornish hens" on sale that weighed around 6-7lbs each... They looked
> like ordinary chickens to me, just a bit bigger than the ones I normally
> buy. <g>

"Cornish Hen" is an American, USDA-accepted term for a regular
chicken that isn't expected to survive long enough to become a
fryer or roaster. Or, ironically, a hen.

There really is a breed "Cornicsh hen", but I don't think they come
that big.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.

Not here in the United States they aren't.

They are regular chickens that grow up to be... bigger chickens.
the name "Tyson" on them should be a clue.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:03:55 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:49:49 -0600, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
> .
>>Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Wikipedia says you are correct,
>>cornish hens are young chickens. I had to look it up.
>>
>>"Despite the name, it is not a game bird, but actually a typical chicken
>>that is slaughtered at a young age and therefore is smaller in size.
>>Though the bird is called a "hen," it can be either male or female."
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_hen
>>
>>Becca

> Well..other sources don't say that. Wikipedia is not always known for
> accuracy....
>
> http://homecooking.about.com/od/food...henhistory.htm
>
> http://www.foodreference.com/html/f-...h-gh-1116.html
>
> However, in all fairness, I am seeing both stories...one which says
> that they are just smaller chickens, and others that say they were
> bred specially for this size: a cross between two breeds.

Wiki eludes at the source of "Cornish Hen" but truth is, th USDA
has allowed the term "Cornish Hen" to refer to any breed of chicken
under 2lbs since 1972.

Do you really think Tyson is maintaining two lines of chicken
farms? when they could just get them from culling hundreds of their
own chicken farms?

I used to buy them all the time and stuff them with MGB wild rice
blend, but haven't done that in a long time.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You seem to be mostly correct. We (generic "we") had a discussion on
> "Rock Cornish Game Hens" in something like 2001 or so. It seems the
> consensus was that, in theory, they were once supposed to be a
> particular breed, but in current practice, they were just baby chicken.
> It is now quasi official:
>
> <http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/99-017P.htm>

The good 'ol USDA out to protect us from marketing fraud admits,
"Heck, these things have been extinct for a couple decades, we just
haven't enforced it. So we're going to make a new rule that will
give you confidence in what you're buying".

Apparently the growers define their own rules, then tell USDA
later. Much later.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 1:44*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > You seem to be mostly correct. *We (generic "we") had a discussion on
> > "Rock Cornish Game Hens" in something like 2001 or so. *It seems the
> > consensus was that, in theory, they were once supposed to be a
> > particular breed, but in current practice, they were just baby chicken.
> > It is now quasi official:

> > <http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/99-017P.htm>

> The good 'ol USDA out to protect us from marketing fraud admits,
> "Heck, these things have been extinct for a couple decades, we just
> haven't enforced it. *So we're going to make a new rule that will
> give you confidence in what you're buying".

Who are you quoting? Your post implies that it is the USDA.
Seems to me you're just putting quotes around your own words.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 26 Nov 2010 12:48:42p, jmcquown told us...
>

>> "Terry Pulliam > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:48:12 -0800, Christine Dabney

>>> Christine, I'm pretty sure they actually are baby chickens that
>>> are overfed (as opposed to force fed) and slaughtered at 5 - 6
>>> weeks. The 2 in my freezer are 22 ounces apiece.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>>

>> Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate
>> breed. They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry
>> if it upsets your PETA heart but this is a fact.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, it's true that they are chickens. However, early on they were
> bred to be small with a full rounded breast, and consequently are
> considered a separate breed. However, they are not ACTUALLY "game"
> hens as they are often called.
>
> From Wikipedia:
>
> 'A Cornish game hen, also sometimes called a Cornish hen, poussin,
> Rock Cornish hen, or simply Rock Cornish, is a young chicken sold
> whole. Despite the name, it is not a game bird, but actually a
> typical chicken that is slaughtered at a young age and therefore is
> smaller in size. Though the bird is called a "hen," it can be either
> male or female.
>
> Most sources credit Alphonsine and Jacques Makowsky of Connecticut
> for developing the small bird in the mid-1950s. A Saturday Evening
> Post article from July 1955 credited Mrs. Makowsky with coming up
> with the idea to breed the Cornish game chicken, a small bird with
> short legs and a plump, round breast that she had discovered in a
> book. The Makowskys began cross-breeding the Cornish game cocks with
> various chickens and game birds, including a White Plymouth Rock Hen
> and a Malayan fighting cock, to develop the Rock Cornish game hen, a
> succulent bird with all-white meat suitable for a single serving."

That's interesting. I thought I had read that RCGH started out
not being chickens, but that small chickens are now the norm.

It does sound like this is a definitive beginning, Wikipedia or no.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
arranged random neurons and opined:

>Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.
>They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry if it upsets your
>PETA heart but this is a fact.

Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
slaughtering baby critters.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,if the wine had been as old
as the turkey,and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,

it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:26:39 -0800 (PST), Bryan wrote:

> On Nov 27, 1:44*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>> <http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/99-017P.htm>

>> The good 'ol USDA out to protect us from marketing fraud admits,
>> "Heck, these things have been extinct for a couple decades, we just
>> haven't enforced it. *So we're going to make a new rule that will
>> give you confidence in what you're buying".

> Who are you quoting? Your post implies that it is the USDA.
> Seems to me you're just putting quotes around your own words.

Did you read the USDA link? I paraphrased what they said in the
Cornish Hen section.

If you don't like my astute and accurate translation, then go ****
yourself, priss. Nobody wants or needs your little whiney ass
around here.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 2:02*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>

> > > Most sources credit Alphonsine and Jacques Makowsky of Connecticut
> > > for developing the small bird in the mid-1950s. A Saturday Evening
> > > Post article from July 1955 credited Mrs. Makowsky with coming up
> > > with the idea to breed the Cornish game chicken, a small bird with
> > > short legs and a plump, round breast that she had discovered in a
> > > book. The Makowskys began cross-breeding the Cornish game cocks with
> > > various chickens and game birds, including a White Plymouth Rock Hen
> > > and a Malayan fighting cock, to develop the Rock Cornish game hen, a
> > > succulent bird with all-white meat suitable for a single serving."

> > That's interesting. *I thought I had read that RCGH started out
> > not being chickens, but that small chickens are now the norm.

> > It does sound like this is a definitive beginning, Wikipedia or no.

> > --
> > Jean B.

> Wikipedia is a public forum, and not famous for it's accuracy...

One might say the same about your posts:
http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia...3-5997332.html

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:08:57 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2:02*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >, "Jean B." >
> > wrote:
> >
> > Wikipedia is a public forum, and not famous for it's accuracy...

> One might say the same about your posts:
> http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia...3-5997332.html

The thing I've noticed is that you get a big clue that something is
questionable because they will ask for cites. I'm sure the
information is changed once it's proven to be incorrect. Until then,
it's up to you to use more than one source.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 4:08*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2:02*pm, Omelet > wrote:

> > > That's interesting. *I thought I had read that RCGH started out
> > > not being chickens, but that small chickens are now the norm.

> > > It does sound like this is a definitive beginning, Wikipedia or no.

> > > --
> > > Jean B.

> > Wikipedia is a public forum, and not famous for it's accuracy...

> One might say the same about your posts:http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia...tannica/2100-1...
>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

She's a bitch. And that's being nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Nov 2010 00:31:15 GMT, Cheryl > wrote:

> On Fri 26 Nov 2010 07:16:08p, Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking
>
> .com>:
>
> > The traditional TG feast, made simply, is one of the best things
> > about the USA.

> Huh?

I think he was talking about food traditions.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>>> Most sources credit Alphonsine and Jacques Makowsky of Connecticut
>>> for developing the small bird in the mid-1950s. A Saturday Evening
>>> Post article from July 1955 credited Mrs. Makowsky with coming up
>>> with the idea to breed the Cornish game chicken, a small bird with
>>> short legs and a plump, round breast that she had discovered in a
>>> book. The Makowskys began cross-breeding the Cornish game cocks with
>>> various chickens and game birds, including a White Plymouth Rock Hen
>>> and a Malayan fighting cock, to develop the Rock Cornish game hen, a
>>> succulent bird with all-white meat suitable for a single serving."
>>>

>> That's interesting. I thought I had read that RCGH started out
>> not being chickens, but that small chickens are now the norm.
>>
>> It does sound like this is a definitive beginning, Wikipedia or no.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Wikipedia is a public forum, and not famous for it's accuracy...

Which is why I put in that last part.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:51:10 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> arranged random neurons and opined:
>
>>Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.
>>They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry if it upsets your
>>PETA heart but this is a fact.

> Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
> work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
> slaughtering baby critters.

Except for Jill.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve replied to Squeaks replying to Jill:

>>> Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.
>>> They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry if it upsets
>>> your PETA heart but this is a fact.

>> Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
>> work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
>> slaughtering baby critters.

> Except for Jill.

Jill's no baby.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 12:35*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:51:10 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> > arranged random neurons and opined:

> >>Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. *They are indeed a separate breed..
> >>They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. *Sorry if it upsets your
> >>PETA heart but this is a fact.

> > Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
> > work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
> > slaughtering baby critters.

> Except for Jill.

I'm a standing member of PUTA. People for the Unethical Treatment of
Animals.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:43:21 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Steve replied to Squeaks replying to Jill:

>>> Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
>>> work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
>>> slaughtering baby critters.

>> Except for Jill.

> Jill's no baby.

Sqwertz thinks Jill is the squeamish one and is projecting upon
Sqeaks. Or figure the maximum score of a 'sq' word in
Scrabble(tm)?

Jill?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:51:10 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:48:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> arranged random neurons and opined:
>
>>Sorry, Squeaks, but no they're not. They are indeed a separate breed.
>>They're not overfed and slaughtered baby chickens. Sorry if it upsets your
>>PETA heart but this is a fact.

> Huh? When did I join PETA and who coughed up the dues for me? I didn't
> work my way up to the top of the food chain to get squeamish about
> slaughtering baby critters.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

with my bare hands!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 15:11:18 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:08:57 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 27, 2:02*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>>> In article >, "Jean B." >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia is a public forum, and not famous for it's accuracy...

>> One might say the same about your posts:
>> http://news.cnet.com/Study-Wikipedia...3-5997332.html
>>

> The thing I've noticed is that you get a big clue that something is
> questionable because they will ask for cites. I'm sure the
> information is changed once it's proven to be incorrect. Until then,
> it's up to you to use more than one source.

discounting anything wikipedia says *because it's wikipedia* seems foolish
to me. as you say, most articles there provide cites.

om, on the other hand, just dismisses out of hand any fact that doesn't
jibe with her various stances.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 8:57*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *A Moose In Love > wrote:

> > > Except for Jill.

> > I'm a standing member of PUTA. *People for the Unethical Treatment of
> > Animals.

> <laughs> *You DO know what that word means don't you? So what are your
> hourly rates? ;-)

Duh. WTF???

> <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puta>
>
> I believe in the Ethical treatment of animals, up to the point where I
> eat them. Then they should be killed as mercifully as possible.
>
> Being a carnivore is a brutal practice and there is no sugar coating it.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
> * * * no influence on society. -- Mark Twain- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 3:20*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> PUTA means "whore".

Not in English, so who cares?

LW

Cornish Hens? Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 17 14-01-2006 06:09 PM
Herbed Cornish Hens Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:01 PM
Cornish Game Hens Linda and Ron Audet Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2005 04:03 AM
How To Clean Cornish Hens Lou Vincze General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 01:15 AM